College football thread 11-25

freestater

After years of not winning the big rivalry game Harbaugh is a god coach again.

I'll also say it again, this years crop of QBs who last year were supposed to be top tier are no better than wilson, lawrence, fields draft.  Massively overrated.  Good thing we have Mike White and do not have to draft a guy next year.  ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This just goes to show there are 3 types of successful coaches in College football.  Great recruiters, great X’s and O’s, and guys that are both.   

Ryan Day is a recruiter.  Not sure he’s a great “coach”.  Harbaugh is a good Coach but doesn’t get the tippy top elite players.  Saban might be the only guy who is both.  Maybe Kirby.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This just goes to show there are 3 types of successful coaches in College football.  Great recruiters, great X’s and O’s, and guys that are both.   

Ryan Day is a recruiter.  Not sure he’s a great “coach”.  Harbaugh is a good Coach but doesn’t get the tippy top elite players.  Saban might be the only guy who is both.  Maybe Kirby.

Now that Brian Kelly is at a SEC powerhouse, he will be able leverage this great program & pipeline to the NFL to get top talent to go with his coaching ability. He was hamstrung at ND with 2nd tier talent… & that’s coming from a ND fan. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

yo.  just checked in.  The tree is up.  3 more weeks to the manorah.  How are the Aggies way ahead of Liberty BTW?  I'm behind on my bets so I need the Bulldogs to cover.  One more TD.  Make it happen @Lith

Should have checked with me before the game.  Would have told you there is no way we cover.  We have played down to the level of our competition all year.  And with the SEC Championship next week, we were gonna get starters out of there as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Thee non participants in the final 4 playoff.   ?

I am not so sure about that.  Assuming MIchigan and the Dawgs are in no matter what happens next week   And lets give TCU the 3rd spot assuming they win the Big 12 Championship.  Who gets the 4th spot if we beat LSU next week and USC loses to ND tonight or in the Pac 12 Championship next weekend.  At that point it is either a one loss OSU or 2 loss Bama.  I think OSU would get in.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Don't think I have ever seen OPI called on a QB before, but he may have saved a pick.

He also got shaken up on the play, kind of silly getting that tricky there if you ask me.  You have a prime QB, receivers and backs, no need to try and trick teams

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He also got shaken up on the play, kind of silly getting that tricky there if you ask me.  You have a prime QB, receivers and backs, no need to try and trick teams

Agreed.  It was almost asi f Riley had a trick play to use near the end zone and he was going to use it tonight.  Moving the ball well, just play it straight and they likely are up 14.  Some of these coaches outsmart themselves.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Caleb Williams is so good he manages to get @RobR to post on the board. 

I can't find a flaw in his game. The game looks easy to him and they way he controls and runs his offense is impressive.

Easily the best QB I've seen in a long, long time.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'm going to say that Williams is a great prospect but not flawless.  A couple times in this game under pressure he has gotten happy feet and just started running around back there.  Now he has gotten way with it but in the pros, not so sure.

He checks every single box and is playing with the defense. If he doesn't get injured he'll be the best QB in the NFL within 4 years, it would be 3 but he's not eligible this year.

He makes it look easy and is always scanning down the field regardless of what way he  is going. Too many people having Zach flashbacks when it's completely different.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

He checks every single box and is playing with the defense. If he doesn't get injured he'll be the best QB in the NFL within 4 years, it would be 3 but he's not eligible this year.

He makes it look easy and is always scanning down the field regardless of what way he  is going. Too many people having Zach flashbacks when it's completely different.

No not having zac flashbacks, i am just very conservative about QBs until they face some real heat against the best competition.  Lawrence by many was a near flawless QB but against the big boys in mos important games he had troubles.

If Williams dices up Georgia and Michigan then that will show you are probably correct.   He certainly has all the tools you could ask for.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He certainly has all the tools you could ask for.

That is all I want in a prospect. Many times the overall talent discrepancy leads to one believing a prospect is bad, but it's always a team game.

Williams is flawless as a prospect.....and he just did it again. 

• Upvote 1