Turnovers won't be the end of the world if the QB can also throw a TD pass every now and then

AFJF

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The reason why it was so important for Zach to protect the football is because he was on pace for 8 TD's this season.  That leaves absolutely zero room for error.  None.  If Mike White can move the ball and find the end zone 2-3 times, the Jets will have enough on defense to overcome it.  What they would have a much harder time doing is overcoming zero TD passes almost every week.

If White throws for 3 TD's and a couple of picks but the Jets win 27-10, I'll take it.

Zach was terrible. Nobody’s fault but his own. But it could also be true that he was neutered. He was terrified to throw an INT, so scared. He actually wouldn’t throw anything. Again all his fault. But if it’s ok to throw int if you throw TD argument is to be made. Someone should tell the coaching staff cause that’s not how they had Zach playing 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

Zach was terrible. Nobody’s fault but his own. But it could also be true that he was neutered. He was terrified to throw an INT, so scared. He actually wouldn’t throw anything. Again all his fault. But if it’s ok to throw int if you throw TD argument is to be made. Someone should tell the coaching staff cause that’s not how they had Zach playing 

I mean, they called plays for weeks that had guys running open down the field.  With that being the case, I'm assuming their expectation was for Zach to throw it to them and that they would have let Zach know as much.  He's got to be smart enough to get what they're saying, which is probably "don't be reckless with the ball", which isn't the same as "don't throw the ball more than 8 yards in the air".

Too true.

To me the big difference is Mike White is ready to run the Shanahan offense.  We will execute crisply.  I also sense that a lot of hard work went into his game.  I see the polish. 

As for the Zack, if Geno threw his next 150 passes into the stands Zack would still have a worse QB rating.   Wow.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. You can’t tell a quarterback he’s not allowed to throw an interception in the same way you can’t tell a basketball player he’s not allowed to miss a shot. The end result will be the player stops shooting the ball at all, and when he does it’s an uncontested layup. You have to let them play, especially when they’re younger. 

Interesting thought Tom.

How do you coach a QB with a knack for carelessness? I like the analogy but obviously a turnover in the NFL is so much more meaningful than a missed NBA shot. 

Other than "not drafting" I mean. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, PorP said:

Interesting thought Tom.

How do you coach a QB with a knack for carelessness? I like the analogy but obviously a turnover in the NFL is so much more meaningful than a missed NBA shot. 

Everyone is burned by that Bills game where White threw three picks in three drives in the second half trying to bring the team back from a 17-3 first half deficit. It sucked, but the Bills were #1 in the following categories last year: DVOA defense, DVOA vs pass, Overall defense, and INTs. Three QBs eclipsed 250 yards passing against that team: Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, and Mike White. To answer your question, if the game is manageable, Mike White will handle it. If you want someone to bring the team back when it’s down three scores in the second half, Mike White is going to throw some INTs.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Everyone is burned by that Bills game where White threw three picks in three drives in the second half trying to bring the team back from a 17-3 first half deficit. It sucked, but the Bills were #1 in the following categories last year: DVOA defense, DVOA vs pass, Overall defense, and INTs. Three QBs eclipsed 250 yards passing against that team: Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, and Mike White. To answer your question, if the game is manageable, Mike White will handle it. If you want someone to bring the team back when it’s down three scores in the second half, Mike White is going to throw some INTs.

Agreed man. 

For clarity. I thought your original thought was about ZW not Mike White. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Context is key. He still couldn’t get it done but his leash was entirely too short. I get it. Shiny new toy with #2 QB draft pick but with how terrible Zach was, how the hell did they not make him sit a year? Now he is most likely ruined for sure when he may have had a chance if he sat and learned. Regardless, he should have NEVER been the pick and trading down was such an obvious move for a team that was freshly blown up with holes galore and not the right environment for a rookie QB. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, PorP said:

Interesting thought Tom.

This is part of the reason why he needed to get benched. He wasn’t even throwing up 50:50 jump balls. Some of his throws were auto INTs.

Then add the poor accuracy because of bad footwork, ugh. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Context is key. He still couldn’t get it done but his leash was entirely too short. I get it. Shiny new toy with #2 QB draft pick but with how terrible Zach was, how the hell did they not make him sit a year? Now he is most likely ruined for sure when he may have had a chance if he sat and learned. Regardless, he should have NEVER been the pick and trading down was such an obvious move for a team that was freshly blown up with holes galore and not the right environment for a rookie QB. 

Can ruin a player that simply isn't very good in the first place? There is so much about Wilson that screamed red flag. Were some very unique circumstances like COVID and a down year for QBs that propelled Wilson to the #2 pick. It still doesn't change who and what he is.

Douglas took a shot,and it looks like it didn't work out. I understand that it was the proverbial swing for the fences. Mac Jones would have been a workman-like high floor pick, but picking him 2nd was probably against his view of the draft as a scout. Jones' best case scenario is probably something like Chad Pennington pre injury; kind of a hard sell as the #2 pick. 

We don't know what was said between the Niners and the Jets. We do know Steve Young has connections with the Niners and the Wilson family. And you wonder if the parties might talk again after all this mess. Are they sold on Lance, or do they want some competition for him? We'll probably revisit all this in March. 

Simply not plausible if you put Wilson on another team, or benched him for a season, or any other variable in the program, he somehow becomes a productive NFL starting QB. He's small, he panics in the face of a rush, he can't process things fast enough and he can't read defenses. There's not much that's gonna change in those key areas no matter what might be different. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Can ruin a player that simply isn't very good in the first place? There is so much about Wilson that screamed red flag. Were some very unique circumstances like COVID and a down year for QBs that propelled Wilson to the #2 pick. It still doesn't change who and what he is.

Douglas took a shot,and it looks like it didn't work out. I understand that it was the proverbial swing for the fences. Mac Jones would have been a workman-like high floor pick, but picking him 2nd was probably against his view of the draft as a scout. Jones' best case scenario is probably something like Chad Pennington pre injury; kind of a hard sell as the #2 pick. 

We don't know what was said between the Niners and the Jets. We do know Steve Young has connections with the Niners and the Wilson family. And you wonder if the parties might talk again after all this mess. Are they sold on Lance, or do they want some competition for him? We'll probably revisit all this in March. 

Simply not plausible if you put Wilson on another team, or benched him for a season, or any other variable in the program, he somehow becomes a productive NFL starting QB. He's small, he panics in the face of a rush, he can't process things fast enough and he can't read defenses. There's not much that's gonna change in those key areas no matter what might be different. 

I agree and think he’s pure sh*t and was the wrong move to draft him and the wrong move to start him when it was obvious that he wasn’t ready. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. You can’t tell a quarterback he’s not allowed to throw an interception in the same way you can’t tell a basketball player he’s not allowed to miss a shot. The end result will be the player stops shooting the ball at all, and when he does it’s an uncontested layup. You have to let them play, especially when they’re younger. 

What's funny is this fanbase has become a victim of this mentality since this run of young turnover prone QB's, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson, etc. which is why I understand @AFJF desire to state the obvious.  Jets fans have been conditioned that throwing an INT is the worst thing in the world and it means you suck at Football when it happens and context doesnt matter, it's just the worst thing in the world but its perfectly acceptable if you're able to compensate w/ explosive plays and scores;  Josh Allen, Joe Borrow, Pat Mahomes,, Justin Herbert, Justin Fields, Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins all do while being top 10 in picks. 

• Upvote 1