Interesting ZW take on GameDay

PorP

21 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What is a yip? I was very confused. Irvin was like what are even talking about and I'm with him 

The yips affect golfers when putting ... they can also affect people who play other sports — such as cricket, darts and baseball. It was once thought that the yips were always associated with performance anxiety.

• Upvote 2

That’s not the yips. The yips is when a golfer misses a 2 footer on the 18th to lose a tournament, then can’t make anything inside 4 feet the next round. It’s a debilitating loss of confidence   The golfer could play very well in the other aspects, but until he sees one go in , he’s gonna choke  

what they describe here as crippling anxiety, borderline panic attack. Sort of similar to the yips but not really. Unfortunately it also involves ADD. My son is the poster child for ADHD. 

the jets have a sports psychologist on staff. I said it months ago that Zach should be seeing her. Well, as long as she doesn’t have kids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Thanks for the explanation, seems like yips are from a few diff sports too reading from other posts .

I also have no memory of any qb forgetting a play and handing the ball off during a pass play that you just called.

This all just makes me think Zach is done.

I played baseball,  basketball, football formally,  avid golfer and raced motocross and cross country semi pro.  Yips are a thing is everyone of them.  They have different names but still a thing. 

Another example In motocross it's "fear" or the "scared's" and it causes you to make little mistakes in cornering and /or jumping.... ultimately you start way over-thinking it, the errors get worse and can become a danger to yourself and others. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah that is not a report that makes you feel good.  I understand it might be a byproduct of the yips(missing wide open layup throws) but forgetting the play in between receiving it and the snap is wild.  I’ve never heard of that.  That is some serious mental block right there.

From experience ... I have had this happen ... same thing pressure was extreme and my mind just blanked.  Luckily i overcame it and slammed dunked what I was doing.   But I have had this happen ... and I would be surprised if it was as rare as you say. 

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The yips affect golfers when putting ... they can also affect people who play other sports — such as cricket, darts and baseball. It was once thought that the yips were always associated with performance anxiety.

I can't wait to see a picture of Mike and white later today thanks for the explanation 

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Steve Sax was able to get past it for the most part.

You're right. I thought Sax career pretty much ended with his yips, but he fully recovered:

Wikipedia: Though never regarded as one of the top fielding second basemen in the league, Steve Sax inexplicably became incapable of making routine throws to first base in 1983, committing 30 errors that season.[6] This is referred to in baseball terminology as "Steve Sax Syndrome", the fielder's variant of "Steve Blass disease," named after the Pirates pitcher who suffered a similar breakdown of basic mechanics (also known as "The Yips"). As his accuracy suffered, fans sitting behind the first base dugout began wearing batting helmets as mock protection.[7] (Teammate Pedro Guerrero, an outfielder pressed into service at third base in 1983, once reportedly stated that his first thought whenever he was in the field was "I hope they don't hit it to me", while his second thought was "I hope they don't hit it to Sax.")[8] By 1989, however, Sax seemed to be completely "cured", leading the American League in both fielding percentage[9] and double plays.

I'd say Wilson needs to give Sax a call, but Wilson doesn't like to listen to old guys according to Westoff.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s not the yips. The yips is when a golfer misses a 2 footer on the 18th to lose a tournament, then can’t make anything inside 4 feet the next round. It’s a debilitating loss of confidence   The golfer could play very well in the other aspects, but until he sees one go in , he’s gonna choke  

what they describe here as crippling anxiety, borderline panic attack. Sort of similar to the yips but not really. Unfortunately it also involves ADD. My son is the poster child for ADHD. 

the jets have a sports psychologist on staff. I said it months ago that Zach should be seeing her. Well, as long as she doesn’t have kids. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-henrik-stenson-learned-to-win-big-after-conquering-the-yips

Just now, Matt39 said:

I mean if he doesn’t know the plays then what is it? That’s what they are reporting. 

The Yips can be debilitating.  That is the quote from the original post.

Mental issues are freaking tough to deal with.  I once had such a fear of crossing brides that I was close to buying a life jacket to calm me down.  Can you imagine driving next to a guy on a bridge wearing a life jacket?

Now if you’ve never suffered from an anxiety disorder, I can understand you might not be able to relate.

The Yips is often related to performance anxiety, which can impact on mechanics (accuracy), trying to do too much (bad INTs), running away from the pocket, freezing when guys are open, and maybe even forgetting plays.

Sound like someone?

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, PorP said:

Ian Raapaport and Mike garafolo just reported ZW benching has nothing to do with discipline or the locker room. 

According to them ZW's "yips" he has been experiencing have become so debilitating he is losing the play between the huddle and snap.  

They did show a pass play where he actually handed the ball to MC. MC was so confused it stopped him in his tracks.

Yeah, I saw that on NFL Network. All the receivers were out in a pattern instead of blocking so it was an obvious pass play. Can Zach think of something else he can screw up? 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, PorP said:

Ian Raapaport and Mike garafolo just reported ZW benching has nothing to do with discipline or the locker room. 

According to them ZW's "yips" he has been experiencing have become so debilitating he is losing the play between the huddle and snap.  

They did show a pass play where he actually handed the ball to MC. MC was so confused it stopped him in his tracks.

Here is the clip. Just bizarre stuff.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Zach Primo 

24 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's an old wife's tale condition that people apply when players throw like crap. Basically an exaggerated slump where it really "gets in your head". 

Problem is, Zach Wilson may simply just be too slow to process this very fast game. 

I'm not feeling this.  It's not a question of being "slow".  It's a question of trying to process too much information, trying to be perfect and fear of making a mistake.  Similar to a panic attack. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

The Yips traditionally was tied to golfers but it is not exclusive to them.

It might be related to muscle movements and/or performance anxiety which is what you are alluding to so at the end of the day potato or potatoe.  Agree it’s likely anxiety related and not just in his wrists or as the coaches tell it, lower half.

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The Yips can be debilitating.  That is the quote from the original post.

Mental issues are freaking tough to deal with.  I once had such a fear of crossing brides that I was close to buying a life jacket to calm me down.  Can you imagine driving next to a guy on a bridge wearing a life jacket?

Now if you’ve never suffered from an anxiety disorder, I can understand you might not be able to relate.

The Yips is often related to performance anxiety, which can impact on mechanics (accuracy), trying to do too much (bad INTs), running away from the pocket, freezing when guys are open, and maybe even forgetting plays.

Sound like someone?

He was the second overall pick. Figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Dude, the be benching is because of performance. It’s not a mystery.

The question is what is the root cause?

1. Bad lower half mechanics

2. Yips  / performance anxiety

3. He needs more game experience

#1 and #2 are far deeper issues that might only get worse with more game experience.  They both require a reset.

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The Yips traditionally was tied to golfers but it is not exclusive to them.

It might be related to muscle movements and/or performance anxiety which is what you are alluding to so at the end of the day potato or potatoe.  Agree it’s likely anxiety related and not just in his wrists or as the coaches tell it, lower half.

And yips are absolutely not confined to putting. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He's so shook that he's forgetting the play between the huddle and the snap. Holly ******* sh*t if this is true he doesn't need a coach he needs some good weed, and a good psychologist. It does explain things, but how could he be so damn fragile?

Don’t wish anxiety on anyone.  We can all get crippling anxiety.  Just feel lucky you don’t have it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Oh vey.  Now we are questioning his work ethic.  There have been plenty of reports that Zach might work too hard.  

Let’s just call him what he is.  It’s clear he is a psychopathic pedophile who is really a Dolphin fan.

Feel better now?  Let’s just rip the ‘kid’ in any way possible.

What the Hell is wrong with you?

To be a psychopathic pedophile, you have to be a Pats fan. 

• More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He was the second overall pick. Figure it out.

Wish life was that simple.  A little compassion would go a long way in life, if it is anxiety related.

In retrospect, the Jets might have missed this risk in Zach’s personality assessment and beyond that in their assessment of what he needs.

Again, if this is a crippling anxiety issue, continuing to play him was not the right strategy. That said, Zach likely hid this from the coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He's so shook that he's forgetting the play between the huddle and the snap. Holly ******* sh*t if this is true he doesn't need a coach he needs some good weed, and a good psychologist. It does explain things, but how could he be so damn fragile?

It’s not fragility or weakness. Please don’t perpetuate negative stereotypes for mental health issues.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Don’t wish anxiety on anyone.  We can all get crippling anxiety.  Just feel lucky you don’t have it.

You shouldn't presume. I've dealt with social anxiety my whole life. I get by, and it hasn't been easy. You'll notice I made mention that he needed mental help as opposed to coaching. Having said that, I don't think he's dealing with crippling anxiety, as much as he isn't prepared for his role. He's become self conscious about it, and in turn he's thinking about not ******* up instead of just playing. Kind of like Tin Cup and his shanks...

image.thumb.png.c1d777f13684c4acebd3cd33293197db.png

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Wish life was that simple.  A little compassion would go a long way in life, if it is anxiety related.

In retrospect, the Jets might have missed this risk in Zach’s personality assessment and beyond that in their assessment of what he needs.

Again, if this is a crippling anxiety issue, continuing to play him was not the right strategy. That said, Zach likely hid this from the coaches.

Managing anxiety is part of being an adult. It’s not an excuse to not do your job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

What is a yip? I was very confused. Irvin was like what are even talking about and I'm with him 

Anybody that plays golf is very familiar with the yips, a/k/a the shanks…

You shank 2-3 shots, it gets in your head, and they just keep happening.  

Turning your hat around backwards and putting a tee behind your ear doesn’t actually work.