Interesting ZW take on GameDay

PorP

7 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m honestly curious if this is an overreaction due to opportunistic pictures or a real thing. 

I was there at the game and he interacted with folks plenty but it was awkward for sure.  

The fact that we were looking to see him from the stands was unusual.  It felt weird.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

I have no idea if he has any level of anxiety and this entire conversation is wildly speculative, I just felt you were being a little dismissive about people that need help dealing with their anxiety.

Matt says you should rub some dirt on your anxiety and get back to work and no more mollycoddling. 

Or something like that. There. Every issue ever solved. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn’t put it past the tv network to do that.

But they showed him a lot and every time to my recollection he looked very grumpy, even when the team was doing well. Hard to say, but I had hoped to see him engaged and rooting for his teammates hard. That didn’t appear to be the case, but as you say, the network tv coverage could have been trying to play that up I suppose.

I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but it’s not a good look at all. At the very least, he should have gone out of his way to seem engaged and did not do that. If he was pouting while the team kicked ass, then that says everything about him. 

19 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

If he was pouting while the team kicked ass, then that says everything about him. 

If he was laughing and joking I'm sure everyone would be complaining that he doesn't care that he lost his job.

If I were him, I'd be ******* furious with how things had gone for me, knowing that is was my own doing. I don't blame him for having a face like a slapped arse. He's watching someone else make a mockery of his role in this team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

You must be fun at parties. Got a problem? Just give up. Retire. End that phase of your life at 23 years old. 

Alternatively, in the real world...Show some patience. Get out of the spotlight. Calm things down. Improve. 

We finally have the luxury of being able to protect a player because of the pieces around him. We don't need to wheel him out just because he was a high draft pick.

Do you think Mahomes would've been as good as he is if he played day 1 and had a bunch of sh*t games? Mental mistakes might have got in his head too, he may or may not have recovered from it, we'll never know. He was afforded the luxury of sitting and watching for 17 games.

What are you responding to here?

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yes it’s a thing. If it’s such a crippling thing for Zach then he should retire. This has never been mentioned before though. Him not remembering the plays sounds more like a work ethic thing than anxiety. 

Well he’s going to be out of the NFL in a couple years so there’s that

17 minutes ago, British Jet said:

If he was laughing and joking I'm sure everyone would be complaining that he doesn't care that he lost his job.

If I were him, I'd be ******* furious with how things had gone for me, knowing that is was my own doing. I don't blame him for having a face like a slapped arse. He's watching someone else make a mockery of his role in this team.

Not laughing and joking. Just being more engaged. But it doesn’t matter because one picture of a moment in time does not explain his demeanor for the whole game. That’s why I said I was curious. You can’t just go by that picture or 2 of him where he looks miserable. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Not laughing and joking. Just being more engaged. But it doesn’t matter because one picture of a moment in time does not explain his demeanor for the whole game. That’s why I said I was curious. You can’t just go by that picture or 2 of him where he looks miserable. 

There are several other sideline shots I saw yesterday of Manziel 3.0 pouting.  Also, why is he in street clothes anyway? He must have acted like a total clown during the week

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, I also heard yesterday on WFAN that ZW took Adderall during games in college but it's banned in the NFL.

Unless the policy has changed, players with a diagnosis can submit for an exception with the league and take the medication. It’s just not supposed to be abused by folks who don’t need it but can get a competitive advantage from taking it.

Stimulants are the most evidence based treatment for ADHD and accordingly first line, it’d be pretty wild if they didn’t allow players with a diagnosis to take medication they’ve probably taken their whole lives.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Unless the policy has changed, players with a diagnosis can submit for an exception with the league and take the medication. It’s just not supposed to be abused by folks who don’t need it but can get a competitive advantage from taking it.

Stimulants are the most evidence based treatment for ADHD and accordingly first line, it’d be pretty wild if they didn’t allow players with a diagnosis to take medication they’ve probably taken their whole lives.

I agree completely. It would be absurd to think that the league wouldn't let players take prescribed medication that allows players to function as regular individuals. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but it’s not a good look at all. At the very least, he should have gone out of his way to seem engaged and did not do that. If he was pouting while the team kicked ass, then that says everything about him. 

You're probably right to give benefit of the doubt.  Young man had his life significantly changed over the last 5 days. 

I don't know the cause of his posture but can see more than 1 reason for it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

No idea what the policy is.  This is the first I'd ever heard of ZW taking Adderall too (though I did find a thread on JN about it with someone saying something like "if he's on Adderall, we shouldn't draft him").  Tbh, it would explain a lot of things (the yips and general erratic play).  People who watched him in college said that they didn't understand why he couldn't make the same throws in the pros.

26 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree, at a lil bit of an overreaction here based on one picture and if we're analyzing pictures, the one that should bother people is where all the QB's were looking at the tablet's and Zach wasnt...that's interesting to me considering this report. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What are you responding to here?

Funny enough, the post I quoted in the response.

You've said if Wilson has a mental problem like anxiety, he should retire. Which is about as absurdly extreme as it could possibly get.

He's 23 years old and has now been taken out of the situation that is troubling him. He, and the coaching staff, can work on it and look to improve him. 

2 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Funny enough, the post I quoted in the response.

You've said if Wilson has a mental problem like anxiety, he should retire. Which is about as absurdly extreme as it could possibly get.

He's 23 years old and has now been taken out of the situation that is troubling him. He, and the coaching staff, can work on it and look to improve him. 

I said if he has crippling anxiety then he should. He clearly doesn’t. 

33 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

There are several other sideline shots I saw yesterday of Manziel 3.0 pouting.  Also, why is he in street clothes anyway? He must have acted like a total clown during the week

He was inactive. Inactive players don't dress in their uni's

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

Steve Sax for us older guys.

Who was the cardinal pitcher?  Ankiel?  He eventually became an outfielder.

Ankiel yes. 

And for the real old guys the Pirates had a pitcher named Steve Blass who if I am not mistaken actually won game 7 of the 1971 World Series just totally lost control and could not pitch anymore like 2 years later.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MARTIN said:

Really cruddy and unfortunate. I hope ZW well. I have squandered away much of my life trying to figure out how to live well with severe ADHD. The quote from Glaser on FOX was more telling. Said that "in the time he spent talking to the team following the brutal NE game, that it was taken as authentic/contrite speech but some felt they were seeing the "real" Zach for the first time". Feel bad for the kid.

Sorry to hear that.  Have you ever tried mindfulness or breathing exercises?  If not, might be something to try out.  There is a book on Amazon called Practicing Mindfulness that opened my eyes to some of the struggles I had and helped me overcome them.  The audio book is really really good.

• Upvote 1

I agree completely. It would be absurd to think that the league wouldn't let players take prescribed medication that allows players to function as regular individuals. 
Let's not make assumptions ... ADHD has a huge spectrum of severity.

Every case is different and many don't require medication ... Everything in this thread is speculation.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No idea what the policy is.  This is the first I'd ever heard of ZW taking Adderall too (though I did find a thread on JN about it with someone saying something like "if he's on Adderall, we shouldn't draft him").  Tbh, it would explain a lot of things (the yips and general erratic play).  People who watched him in college said that they didn't understand why he couldn't make the same throws in the pros.

I guess I’d argue it doesn’t explain much unless he was abusing it in college, since if he needs it for a medical condition I’m sure he’s still taking it in the NFL. The WFAN guys you were listening to probably just gave a picture that was accurate but incomplete and doesn’t apply to this situation.

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Every case is different and many don't require medication ... Everything in this thread is speculation.

If he has an ADHD diagnosis and the play forgetting is accurate it’s pretty clearly impacting his ability to function so I imagine that scenario would be considered severe enough to require medication. Frankly he shouldn’t have a diagnosis if it doesn’t impair function.

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I understand that, but from what I've read in the past he is on medication. Not that it really matters, because that is his of his private life.

But I was just discussing the NFL's position on this.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

If he has an ADHD diagnosis and the play forgetting is accurate it’s pretty clearly impacting his ability to function so I imagine that scenario would be considered severe enough to require medication. Frankly he shouldn’t have a diagnosis if it doesn’t impair function.

Even if this is the case, this sounds like a preparation thing more than an impairment. He could get away with sandlot stuff at BYU. 

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, I also heard yesterday on WFAN that ZW took Adderall during games in college but it's banned in the NFL.

adhd can be debilitating to a young guy, the male brain takes until around 27yrs to fully form, not sure how good that is for an NFL QB. that being said it could account for some of Zach's behavior and forgetfulness, including not remembering what he said at post game pc last week.

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Even if this is the case, this sounds like a preparation thing more than an impairment. He could get away with sandlot stuff at BYU. 

Isn’t the issue being discussed not being able to recall a play when it’s called to when he gets to the line of scrimmage? That’s under a minute. Sounds a whole lot more like inattentiveness than lack of preparedness to me.

I also think the only reasons he got away with sandlot stuff at BYU were 1) his line was insanely good and 2) the competition they faced his junior year was awful.

Regardless, don’t know what his style of play in college has to do with forgetting the play that was called. There’s a difference between knowing the play call is X and not knowing what you’re supposed to do - that’d be preparation - and walking to the line of scrimmage not remembering what play you just called out to your teammates.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Isn’t the issue being discussed not being able to recall a play when it’s called to when he gets to the line of scrimmage? That’s under a minute. Sounds a whole lot more like inattentiveness than lack of preparedness to me.

I also think the only reasons he got away with sandlot stuff at BYU were 1) his line was insanely good and 2) the competition they faced his junior year was awful.

Regardless, don’t know what his style of play in college has to do with forgetting the play that was called. There’s a difference between knowing the play call is X and not knowing what you’re supposed to do - that’d be preparation - and walking to the line of scrimmage not remembering what play you just called out to your teammates.

He could get away with freelancing in college because of the level of competition and Oline as you mentioned. He wasn’t playing chess out there at BYU because he didn’t have to. It was relatively easy.

It sounds like to me Wilson needs to up his study/preparation game to compensate maybe for his distractions to play at an NFL level. It’s common and nothing out of the ordinary. Baking it in as an excuse especially for such a high pick doesn’t help anyone. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I was there at the game and he interacted with folks plenty but it was awkward for sure.  

The fact that we were looking to see him from the stands was unusual.  It felt weird.  

On a scale of things to be concerned about currently it is at the bottom, but I thought the Jets did Zach no favors having him stand on the sidelines for the cameras to easily find every time Mike White did something well. 

• Upvote 1