Zach Wilson will not start another game for the jets

6 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Jay Glazer reported on FOX that...

...Team lost confidence in Wilson

...Wilson lost confidence in his play

...Teammates felt like while his apology was genuine..."that was the first time they saw him be genuine (or something like that)

if true, and based on how team rallied around MW....Saleh and Douglas have some soul searching to do this season and upcoming offseason.

I think some of the hate might be stemming from that knee injury earlier in the year. That whole thing where “Zach’s doctors “ had to clear him probably rubbed some the wrong way 

these guys out there killing themselves every play and Zach wouldn’t play until he was “110%’

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I could see starting Zach after the nyj clinch the division but not beforehand.

(Charlie B. do I really have to explain this for you?)

Yeah, all kidding aside if the last game of the season is meaningless because the Jets are already locked into a playoff spot, I could see Wilson starting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Sure there’s reasons. Zach was visibly upset to see the team and Mike White play well today. He’s not a good teammate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him request a trade this offseason seeing as he won’t be guaranteed the starting position next year, which might be best for both parties. 

If Zach's camp requests a trade, he's going to look terrible around the league. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He doesnt have trade value.  What team would trade for him? He can barely compete passes.  

Yes, you develop him now and give him a chance to earn the job next year.  If he doesnt earn the starting job, maybe he earns a backup job.  You then keep developing him and if the starter gets hurt, Zach gets another shot.

Who cares what his camp says.  We have been through this with Denzel and Elijah.  We dont give 2 sh!ts about anyones camp.  We drafted you and you are ours until we say so.

I agree with you here, but there’s one big caveat.

I really didn’t buy into his teammates not liking Zach until this past week. That’s big. It might not be as big as the total meltdown in his game, but it’s close.

We don’t know how big the rift is, but it might be best for all concerned to move on if it continues. It’s all up to Wilson and whether he decides to make the effort to change.

Until a team backs up the brinks truck for Josh Rosen level production... we may be stuck with Zach as a developmental project on the roster. 

The QB room will look different next year but there is also a small chance that Zach gets cut or traded for peanuts.  Mike White is likely back, a veteran not named Joe Flacco will be on the roster, and potentially a draft pick.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Some one with a some common sense post.  I really do not get the hate we tend to have toward our own players.   Folks wanted to run Denzel Mims out of town, cut him after the season ended.  Now the guy is contributing and showing signs of having a future as 3rd or 4th receiver on the team and is already the best run blocking WR on the team. 

Many folks also wanted to cut Becton and declare him a bust even though he has played well when healthy (yeah I know he hasn't been healthy the last two seasons...) .   Instead of bringing him back, allowing him to compete for LT or RT some folks want him cut because he has not performed to their expectations.   He could be quality depth or even push to start, worst case we cut him and move on but no need to make rash decisions.  

Now folks want to run Zach out of town, instead of just keeping him on the bench (where he apparently should have been all along) and let him develop.  We have nothing to lose if he doesn't get any better; they can always cut him next preseason if he is that bad.   If there is anything we should have learned by now is not everyone develops at the same rate or plays to their draft position.  It doesn't mean they can't become servicable or even good players with develoment.   

At this point I am all for bringing in a solid vet to compete or to be the starter.  Let Zach continue to work and prove he deserves to play.   He may get another opportunity at some point and if or when he better be ready.  

I think he really should probably sit for an entire season.  He needs master the fundamentals of the game and work on getting his confidence back.  It may not be with the Jets, it may not happen at all for him, but there is talent there and this CS needs to do everything they can to see if they can get it out of him before moving on.   That does not mean starting him. 

Remember when most posters wanted to cut QW after his rookie year... Or called him a bust after year 2... Or said he is not worthy of a second contract because of what it will cost after his 3rd year... Because I remember... 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Until a team backs up the brinks truck for Josh Rosen level production... we may be stuck with Zach as a developmental project on the roster. 

The QB room will look different next year but there is also a small chance that Zach gets cut or traded for peanuts.  Mike White is likely back, a veteran not named Joe Flacco will be on the roster, and potentially a draft pick.

we may have to get rid of Zach for cap space.

if White leads us to the playoffs and plays well he is going to cost us alot. teams will be bidding for him. maybe 15-20 mil a year. keep Zach at 10 mil thats around 30 mil for 2 guys and another vet? thats an expensive QB room. 

Those of you saying Zach won’t be traded, I think will be proven wrong. I think next year it’s either Mike White along with a veteran back up or Jimmy G, Carr, Minshew etc. The question that really remains, are they OK with keeping Zach as a back up. Either way I don’t think he has any shot to be their starter next year. So he could absolutely be traded to the highest bidder outside of somebody in the division.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Remember when most posters wanted to cut QW after his rookie year... Or called him a bust after year 2... Or said he is not worthy of a second contract because of what it will cost after his 3rd year... Because I remember... 

That’s ridiculous. He was never bad or a bust. He didn’t perform as good as his hype but it turned out to be due to a terrible supporting cast. There’s a huge difference. 

45 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Those of you saying Zach won’t be traded, I think will be proven wrong. I think next year it’s either Mike White along with a veteran back up or Jimmy G, Carr, Minshew etc. The question that really remains, are they OK with keeping Zach as a back up. Either way I don’t think he has any shot to be their starter next year. So he could absolutely be traded to the highest bidder outside of somebody in the division.

If you know anything about the Stock Market ... now might be the ideal time to trade Mike White.

Edited by Dunnie

Prior to the draft there were character concerns" in a Walter Football article. The article claimed "[Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all."

1 minute ago, TommyT said:

Prior to the draft there were character concerns" in a Walter Football article. The article claimed "[Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all."

He wasn’t a team captain at BYU. Now we know why

• Upvote 1

I do, but at the same time the more talent we surrounded him the better he got. It’s an entirely different scenario than with Zach. 

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s ridiculous. He was never bad or a bust. He didn’t perform as good as his hype but it turned out to be due to a terrible supporting cast. There’s a huge difference. 

Read the message board from those years... It will show you although you are more tempered in your response... Their were a lot wondering if they could trade him for a 2nd rounder

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I do, but at the same time the more talent we surrounded him the better he got. It’s an entirely different scenario than with Zach. 

Or it also took talent and age and health... Not saying it's the same but there is a decent probability that zach will improve greatly in his third year... Especially if he responds well to the benching... 

Sure, there might be a greater probability of him failing from here but if he can read faster(happens over time), be more decisive, and not be lazy with his feet he could be a top 10 qb... Because he has that kind of arm talent. 

Again not predicting it will, and right now they don't need that type of qb... But giving up right now is not productive. And this forum is extremely reactionary.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

ZW is done in NY. He won’t play again this year. And hopefully we will never see him in a jets uniform ever again. 

mike white is clearly the better qb. It’s not even debatable. White might not be the long term answer but he gets a chance to prove he can be over the next 6 weeks. We already know what Zach is.

Does this mean we lose the JetBlue sponsorship deal?

42 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Read the message board from those years... It will show you although you are more tempered in your response... Their were a lot wondering if they could trade him for a 2nd rounder

I hear ya but that’s different than a “bust”. A bust has no trade value and is complete garbage(see Zach Wilson). As far as being down on Q and more on the pick in general based on needs at the time, I was one that was down on him for sure. I wouldn’t call him a bust though. So technically you could lump me in that category of being disappointed with the production and more the pick based on team needs. I’m glad it all worked out and I’m happy to eat crow about Q. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hear ya but that’s different than a “bust”. A bust has no trade value and is complete garbage(see Zach Wilson). As far as being down on Q and more on the pick in general based on needs at the time, I was one that was down on him for sure. I wouldn’t call him a bust though. So technically you could lump me in that category of being disappointed with the production and more the pick based on team needs. I’m glad it all worked out and I’m happy to eat crow about Q. 

Zach Wilson can easily get a 1st rounder in return... Although this forum likes to call him a bust and his stats are bad... The talent is there and fundamentals are there occasionally... If he stopped being lazy with his feet his stats would be very different. Whether it can be corrected or not will be something to see. 

Zach is not garbage... He is broken... His own doing... If the jets trade him, a team would give a first no issue. But this front office won't give up on him... Unless he becomes a locker room issue. 

QW was never a bust, he is in a position and scheme that needs edge rushers to free him up... Now he has them... This was always the case but again, you can be disappointed but he was producing always getting better even though it didn't show on the stat sheet. 

4 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Zach Wilson can easily get a 1st rounder in return... Although this forum likes to call him a bust and his stats are bad... The talent is there and fundamentals are there occasionally... If he stopped being lazy with his feet his stats would be very different. Whether it can be corrected or not will be something to see. 

Zach is not garbage... He is broken... His own doing... If the jets trade him, a team would give a first no issue. But this front office won't give up on him... Unless he becomes a locker room issue. 

QW was never a bust, he is in a position and scheme that needs edge rushers to free him up... Now he has them... This was always the case but again, you can be disappointed but he was producing always getting better even though it didn't show on the stat sheet. 

I disagree on your first 2 paragraphs and agree with the 3rd.

Being disappointed with his production or the pick instead of offense, was a fair criticism for 2 reasons. The offense was desperate and we needed to help Sam with a trade down or something and Q didn’t perform like the beast that he was supposed to be for a few years. Plus, the guy that drafted him was a disaster so I justifiably doubted that the pick would pan out as hoped. I never thought he was bad or a bust. Just underachieving based on draft status. I’m glad that his lack of production was due to lack of surrounding talent/coaching etc and I’m happy to be wrong about Q. 

19 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Fair argument. Not sure what his elite abilities are tho. Rocket arm means nothing when you’re inaccurate. And I doubt there will ever be trade value but I guess you gotta try ?‍♂️  

I just think it’s better to cut ties and move on because he is clearly not the answer.

Look, I've never been a Zach fan but I have stated a number of times on this board that since we drafted him #2 overall I hope he turns into the FQB the powers that be in the organization thought he was. But I have to disagree with this statement. When we drafted Darnold over Allen it was supposedly because Allen had a rocket for an arm but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He is still not super-accurate, but they have improved his aim considerably. And from everything I have heard, Zach's inaccuracy is mostly due to his footwork, which is correctable.

As a 50-year fan I am enjoying the season for the first time in a decade. If MW can win for us, great. If Zach can grow up, fix his mechanics, and turn into a top-15 FQB, great. But let's enjoy the current ride instead of beating each other up. We are all supposedly Jets fans and should be rooting for the team, whoever is under center.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Great post.  Becton will also be back and be given a chance to compete for the LT or RT position next year.  You dont cut or trade talented players that you draft.  You give them time to develop, let them compete and see if they can win a job.

This is what a good organization does.  Some jet fans just want to run guys out of town the minute things dont go well.

The good news is, i have noticed jet fans are really starting to understand what it takes to win and these awful takes are becoming less and less.

Love it jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct and when you do choose to move a player, you do so on your terms.   It is obvious they are not afraid to cut or bench highly drafted players and they are willing to acknowledge a mistake and move on when necessary.   What you don't do is overreact or make rash decisions.  As you mentioned, this is how winning organazations operate.   

20 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

ZW is done in NY. He won’t play again this year. And hopefully we will never see him in a jets uniform ever again. 

mike white is clearly the better qb. It’s not even debatable. White might not be the long term answer but he gets a chance to prove he can be over the next 6 weeks. We already know what Zach is.

He would make a cute cheerleader.  We could bring back the flight crew and he could be the cheer captain, maybe.  50/50 split males and females. 

image.thumb.png.c44dc93aab9f4bfa8a0681b39208e4fd.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Or it also took talent and age and health... Not saying it's the same but there is a decent probability that zach will improve greatly in his third year... Especially if he responds well to the benching... 

Sure, there might be a greater probability of him failing from here but if he can read faster(happens over time), be more decisive, and not be lazy with his feet he could be a top 10 qb... Because he has that kind of arm talent. 

Again not predicting it will, and right now they don't need that type of qb... But giving up right now is not productive. And this forum is extremely reactionary.. 

All true. My biggest concern is we are playing meaningful football in December. That needs to be the focus. 

It will be interesting this Sunday to see if Zach is the backup. I think not because it might be a distraction for White to have that hovering over his head. Hopefully Zach paid attention to what White did on Sunday. It’s the kind of sustained offense the Jets have wanted all season. I’m still not sure Zach can run it he’s terrible on short pass plays and check downs. 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, JetBlue said:

Correct and when you do choose to move a player, you do so on your terms.   It is obvious they are not afraid to cut or bench highly drafted players and they are willing to acknowledge a mistake and move on when necessary.   What you don't do is overreact or make rash decisions.  As you mentioned, this is how winning organazations operate.   

Douglas has a mulligan on Zach being a bust because he hit on a bunch of other draft picks especially this year and we are fighting for a our first playoff spot in 12 years

Zach is done as a jet.  They are trading him for a late round pick next offseason 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, The Crusher said:

Prior to this season QW had 3 seasons of NFL experience.  I'll also take a guess that the QB position is overall more difficult to play

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:38 PM, Rangers9 said:

It will be interesting this Sunday to see if Zach is the backup. I think not because it might be a distraction for White to have that hovering over his head. Hopefully Zach paid attention to what White did on Sunday. It’s the kind of sustained offense the Jets have wanted all season. I’m still not sure Zach can run it he’s terrible on short pass plays and check downs. 

If he is being sat to work on fundamentals and other things - he should not be elevated to #2 after just 1 week.  He should be #3 for at least 3-4 weeks.