Wilson's trade value

bonkertons

In my mind, if we move on from Wilson this upcoming offseason, he's going to be cut.  The thought of him having any trade value at all based on what he's displayed thus far seemed ridiculous.  However I've seen a bunch of posts elsewhere about "trading him" so I figured I'd see if I'm completely wrong on this.  Is the fact that he's still a former 2nd overall not even 2 years removed from the draft give him SOME value?  Darnold got us a 6th and a future 2nd and 4th.  He was also older(in the league longer) than Wilson when he was traded, so IMO it was more clear as to what Darnold was at that point.  However, Darnold had shown some flashes of being a franchise QB in his time here, whereas I can't remember Wilson really having any games like that.

Does Wilson bring anything back?  A late pick?  A 2nd or 3rd?  Nothing?  Or does it 100% depend on some other coaching staff going to their front office and saying "if you get this kid I can turn him into an elite QB"?

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

In my mind, if we move on from Wilson this upcoming offseason, he's going to be cut.  The thought of him having any trade value at all based on what he's displayed thus far seemed ridiculous.  However I've seen a bunch of posts elsewhere about "trading him" so I figured I'd see if I'm completely wrong on this.  Is the fact that he's still a former 2nd overall not even 2 years removed from the draft give him SOME value?  Darnold got us a 6th and a future 2nd and 4th.  He was also older(in the league longer) than Wilson when he was traded, so IMO it was more clear as to what Darnold was at that point.  However, Darnold had shown some flashes of being a franchise QB in his time here, whereas I can't remember Wilson really having any games like that.

Does Wilson bring anything back?  A late pick?  A 2nd or 3rd?  Nothing?  Or does it 100% depend on some other coaching staff going to their front office and saying "if you get this kid I can turn him into an elite QB"?

Premature evaluation, bro.

• Upvote 1

We got a 2nd plus for Darnold. But that was when everyone thought no QB could play well for the Jets giving the situation. The Jets now have good coaching and an excellent supporting cast. So, nobody is thinking "let's just get him off the Jets and he will do well".

I think he's trade value is a 4th round pick right now. Especially if Mike White continues to play well.

I personally don't think Joe D trades him. I think we get a veteran in the offseason and Zach is the #3 QB. If Mike White continues to do his thing, that veteran will be more of a high end backup (i.e., Teddy Bridgewater). If Mike White doesn't continue to grab the bull by the horns, then we will likely get a starter level QB (i.e., Jimmy G).

• Upvote 2

Douglas is not dumb he will do nothing rash.  We do not have to make a end game declension on wilson for what 2 years at least?

He will not get good offers and before all is said and done he may get another shot.  Hopefully not for a while but no need to dump him for terrible value and they are not cutting him.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas is not dumb he will do nothing rash.  We do not have to make a end game declension on wilson for what 2 years at least?

He will not get good offers and before all is said and done he may get another shot.  Hopefully not for a while but no need to dump him for terrible value and they are not cutting him.

Curious....  why hopefully not for a long time ? I would assume he will only get his next chance when he has proven to the coaching staff that he has made massive strides.

Mike White has to prove he can consistently win against different defenses before he's an NFL starter.  I love what I see, but it's very early.

Zach Wilson still has tremendous potential as an NFL QB, but it's clear he has to be fixed.  Jets need a QB whisperer to completely break him down.  Start that process right now.  Next training camp, he competes for the starting spot with whoever else is on the roster.

If Mike White has has at least an average run for the remaining games, we have the luxury of not needing a QB in the draft after getting a false start from Wilson, and can once again go after other areas of need, or based on how well all of the units are playing, best available players.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

In my mind, if we move on from Wilson this upcoming offseason, he's going to be cut. 

Dude. It’s been 30 seconds since he was demoted. We’ll see how he shows up next offseason in training camp. “Watch and learn” works for some. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He is under contract for another 2 years.  We will keep him for at least that long and try to develop him.  You dont just cut players with Zach Wilsons talent because they are struggling.

This is what a good team does.  You take the time to develop your players.  You dont cut them just because they arent good early in their careers.

That is not what we are about.  We invested in Zach Wilson and we have 2 1/2 more years to get a return on that.

Good teams don't waste top 2 picks on players that need to be developed in year 3.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Some really good stuff here from Jet fans.  Love that most of us are on the same page.  Take the next 2 1/2 years to develop this kid.  He doesnt get handed any more jobs, but if he improves, competes and earns it, then good for him.

It's time for JD to acknowledge his mistake and move on from this mega bust.

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Curious....  why hopefully not for a long time ? I would assume he will only get his next chance when he has proven to the coaching staff that he has made massive strides.

Not for a long time means white is playing great and not injured.  That is what i meant by not for a long time.

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

In my mind, if we move on from Wilson this upcoming offseason, he's going to be cut. 

Nope.

He's still a prospect, if quite a bit shabbier of one than the day we drafted him.

Let him sit, let him learn, we got plenty of time still.

If he doesn't get better, toss him aside when the times comes to execute the 5th year option.

No reason to be reactionary now. And I say this as a Zach doubter from day 1.

Flacco must be gone for 2023, so we have room both both White/Wilson and another QB to be named later as needed/desired.

• Upvote 3

This has nothing to do with White...it's literally just a question of whether or not Wilson has trade value.   Really no deeper meaning than that.  Figured here would be a better place to debate it than in the YouTube comments or some random Twitter thread.

But yeah, whether it's White or another QB in the offseason, I've seen enough of Wilson.  I get some haven't.  I don't know if the Jets will keep him, and if they do I hope it works out and he becomes "the guy".  Still, regardless of what they do it's irrelevant to what the purpose of this thread was intended to be.....DOES HE HAVE TRADE VALUE?  If so, what is it?  This isn't a "let's get rid of Zach Wilson right now" thread.  My apologies if it was interpreted that way.  

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Wilson is not worth trading unless he's a cancer. We'd get hit with a massive dead cap hit so we would have to get a pick that is far better than hes worth. Stash him, hope he learns and have insurance on the bench. He could get move midway through or often the 2023 season though.

• Upvote 1