A Pragmatic Mike White Thread

Dunnie

1 minute ago, football guy said:

The fact that I have to explain to you that Zach Wilson is the more talented player whereas Mike White is more ready to execute this offense as it’s designed validates to me that you’re a dumbass. Carry on with your life

The fact is, I don’t need you to explain anything to me. I think you’re full of s**t, and always have.

Validate is a strange word coming from the guy who’s entire persona is to act like he’s  a real “football guy” on the internet.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

I really find it surprising that fans, media, etc. are shocked by Mike’s performance. This is what he has done and does. Much like Cooper Rush, or Nick Foles, or Jacoby Brissett, or Case Keenum, he’s a highly efficient QB who fits this scheme well because he understands coverages well, is able to identify the correct progressions pre-snap based on those reads/the passing concept, and will quickly hit the open man instead of trying to make the big plays. He thrives against soft zone coverages, but doesn’t have the arm talent to thrive against tougher defenses and man coverage. But with a talented supporting cast, he can get the job done.

Be happy, ride the wave, but just keep expectations realistic.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/western-kentuckys-mike-whites-arm-his-biggest-plus-and-minus

"If QBs were drafted based strictly on arm strength, White would be a first-rounder. He has the kind of arm others in this class dream of. A two-year starter for the Hilltoppers, White can squeeze a ball between two blades of glass on a beautifully manicured field. The ball comes in hot, even outside the numbers. That hose serves him well while attacking the middle of the field, again putting him in a class with some of the higher profile QBs in this class"

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we’re being real about Mike White, the one thing he’s really missing is about ten MPH on his fastball, which will always make his downfield passes dangerous propositions. He sees the field extremely well, but doesn’t really have the velocity to rip it into tight windows, particularly on those second and third reads later in the play. That said, what White does better than most is incorporate every one of his receivers in the passing game, which makes him harder to defend and also keeps everyone engaged. Bottom line, he’s going to throw some picks, but he’s also going to lead a productive offense, so it might not matter as much. 

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mike had an excellent game today ... made no mistakes .. was effective and efficient. 

Mike White played the Chicago Bears minus some important key pieces.

Mike has an opportunity in the next two weeks to silence the Critics.

Mike White may solidify his legacy in these two coming weeks.

Is Mike White a viable long term answer ... its not out of the question ... but based on previous evaluations id say the likelihood is low.

I was happy with his performance today.  And I hope his success continues.  But I'm also aware he played against one of the worst defenses in the league.  Most of the time, he had all day to throw. 

I don't believe this game tells us anything about the long-term.  I wouldn't say the likeliness of continued success is low, I'd say it's 50/50.  The next two games will give us realistic expectations.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If we’re being real about Mike White, the one thing he’s really missing is about ten MPH on his fastball, which will always make his downfield passes dangerous propositions. He sees the field extremely well, but doesn’t really have the velocity to rip it into tight windows, particularly on those second and third reads later in the play. That said, what White does better than most is incorporate every one of his receivers in the passing game, which makes him harder to defend and also keeps everyone engaged. Bottom line, he’s going to throw some picks, but he’s also going to lead a productive offense, so it might not matter as much. 

Would you say that MW’s ceiling is in the Tony Romo range? He kind of reminds me of him.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/western-kentuckys-mike-whites-arm-his-biggest-plus-and-minus

"If QBs were drafted based strictly on arm strength, White would be a first-rounder. He has the kind of arm others in this class dream of. A two-year starter for the Hilltoppers, White can squeeze a ball between two blades of glass on a beautifully manicured field. The ball comes in hot, even outside the numbers. That hose serves him well while attacking the middle of the field, again putting him in a class with some of the higher profile QBs in this class"

Anyone who has a pair of eyes understands that Mike White does not have great arm talent. That’s not just accuracy or arm strength- it’s deeper than that. What most scouts define arm talent as is the complete package- the natural ability to place balls in areas others are unable to; the ability to make “all the throws” with different levels of touch at varying different arm angles and velocities accurately, in stride; to throw guys open. That does not mean completion precentage, rather, it’s more of an uncoachable, natural ability. It’s not to sound like a know-it-all, but anyone who knows ball or scouting would probably answer it similarly. Arm strength is just one of many factors that play into it. 

It’s also not a criticism of Mike White. At some point over his over his 5 year career, White realized that he’s a less effective passer when he tries to throw his fastball. Just watch the tape since he’s been in the league, starting with preseason on the Cowboys through the present. Now, he’s more composed. He has a consistent release and throws a softer, more catchable ball. If you watch every throw from his preseason in year 1 and every throw today it’s very easy to pick up on.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Would you say that MW’s ceiling is in the Tony Romo range? He kind of reminds me of him.

Man, I don’t know about that. I thought Romo was great and extremely underrated. Who knows if Mike White gets a full chance to play long enough to develop, but the guy he reminds me of is Jared Goff. 

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Most fun I’ve had watching a Jets quarterback since…Mike White in 2021.

Same. The team looked confident and like they were having a great time out there. 

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

They’re vastly different players stylistically. His ceiling isn’t Tom Brady but that’s what his game resembles more of. 

If everything went right for him, I would say his ceiling is something closer to Matt Schaub. Again, not an insult either. Schaub had stellar years in a similar offense under Gary Kubiak from 2007-13 and they are very similar in terms of their playing style and talent. 

21 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Most of the time, he had all day to throw. 

that has alot to do with his decisiveness. he gets rid of it quick. Zach double pumps alot.

what i really like was that play where the Bear beat our LT and was right in his face and he threw it to TY about 4 yds away for a nice gain. if that was Zach he would still be running backwards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

A better “football” arm; ability to make more throws from different arm angles and with a quicker release

Superior athlete 

Superior pocket mobility/escapability 

Elite field vision

Elite precision/placement 

Elite timing/anticipation 

Playmaking ability outside of structure 

I'll pay you $123 if you post 3 in game  NFL examples of each one from Mr. Zach Wilson in a game where he doesn't have 5 examples of not having those same traits.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Mike had an excellent game today ... made no mistakes .. was effective and efficient. 

Mike White played the Chicago Bears minus some important key pieces.

Mike has an opportunity in the next two weeks to silence the Critics.

Mike White may solidify his legacy in these two coming weeks.

Is Mike White a viable long term answer ... its not out of the question ... but based on previous evaluations id say the likelihood is low.

Considering he's had only a fraction of the snaps in camp and practice, yet can still run this offense efficiently and aggressively,  I'd say he has a huge upside. 

• Upvote 4