Game Observations (CHI)

KRL

Mike White is a better fit for this offense. So much so, I don't know why they drafted ZW. They should have traded down and drafted Mac Jones. I am also hit by the concern that the OC should tailor the O for the QB, but ... While it is anyones guess on whether White can win the tough games or if ZW will ever be the guy - it was nice for a week to score 4TDs. We beat up a team we should have, but a win is a win and we looked like a quality NFL offense again.

The OL was much better, but again you expect that from playing such a soft D. But, the jets of old would have played down to the competition - again, glad we didn't do that.

It is nice ending the long weekend with a win.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The entire offensive team just had a different energy.  Garrett Wilson is such a stud, I am looking forward to watching to continue to improve and build chemistry with White.  The same with Moore; he showed some real explosiveness that we have not seen (mainly because he wasn't getting the football).    

I loved the play of Tyler Conklin as he came through again and again on third down.    It was good to see Davis back but I would still look to get Mims more involved as he is definitely the best blocking WR on the team and could replace Davis next year.   That said, I expect Davis just provides another weapon for White.   

My biggest takeaway from this game is the play of Bam Knight.  I had wanted to see this kid play since Hall went down.   He definitely is more explosive than Robinson and runs with more power than Carter.   He also demonstrated that he has good hands.  Ty Johnson stepped up and had a good game as well.   I think perhaps the most underrated aspect of the game was the play of the offensive line.  If they can continue to play like this in both pass and run blocking, I really do like our chances to make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Mike White is a better fit for this offense. So much so, I don't know why they drafted ZW. They should have traded down and drafted Mac Jones. I am also hit by the concern that the OC should tailor the O for the QB, but ... While it is anyones guess on whether White can win the tough games or if ZW will ever be the guy - it was nice for a week to score 4TDs. We beat up a team we should have, but a win is a win and we looked like a quality NFL offense again.

The OL was much better, but again you expect that from playing such a soft D. But, the jets of old would have played down to the competition - again, glad we didn't do that.

It is nice ending the long weekend with a win.

Could have definitely traded down for Jimmy G. That's the move I would have made in hindsight.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I'm not going to lie after CHI scored on their first two drives and was up
10-7, I was nervous.

I do believe that we are in uncharted territory here, in that the Jets began the game by taking an inferior opponent lightly, and it cost them in the start of the game by playing down to their opponent, and being down 10-7.  The Jets woke up after that, and played the way they needed to on defense.

The other thing I think you didn't mention is the poor tackling again in this game, which is now 2 games in a row with poor tackling.  Saleh even talked about it in his post game news conference.  The Jets will have to tackle much better if they have any hopes of beating Minnesota or Buffalo in the next 2 weeks.

Other than that, I continue to love you analysis, and look forward to your posts.

• Upvote 1

There's a funny play with 7 mins left in the 2nd quarter where Sauce Gardner is out wide to cover the gunner on a Chicago punt and he looks over to the Bears sideline as the ball is being snapped and the gunner blows right by him. Sauce knew he screwed up at the end of the play. I don't know why but I found that hilariously while I am watching the game back on NFL Plus. 

59 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Did Max Mitchell play today?  I didn't see it.

ANd I saw a lot of Feeney in the 2nd half...did Herbig not last the entire game?

Yes, Max Mitchell played, as did Herbig. Believe Feeney came in for Tomlinson at one point, but may be wrong about that.