$470 million in contract extensions

AFJF

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just don't know how you can give Kyler Murray all of that money - it's like locking your team into mediocrity for the next 5 years.

Russel Wilson wasn't as bad a contract at the time of signing  -  tough to tell he was done.  Sucks, bad contract, but not an awful decision based on the facts at the time.

Josh Rosen to Kyler Murray is brutal.  And then they paid Kyler.  I'm so glad the Jets are not in that situation.

Though the QB situation for the Jets is still very much in question going forward.  Someone said MW is a FA after this season.  It's still only 1 game but I think we've seen that MW can play in this league.  But how much are the Jets going to pay to keep him?  And how much are other teams going to want him?  Are we going to franchise tag him?  (Hard to imagine but I guess we'll see what happens the rest of the way).

• Upvote 3

Can't feel bad for ARI.  They really did cave in on Kyler's contract and now he's making it look even dumber than I thought possible.  DAL is still not sure if they got what they paid for with Dak.  

BAL is the next team that is going to have to make a decision whether to stand their ground or cave on a massive QB deal.  Gonna be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Wow imagine if Zach Wilson said schematically we were fu*ked the media would be destroying him 

If Zach said it the media would be thinking who's Mrs. Schematically and is their any archival bikini pics we can publish? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Josh Rosen to Kyler Murray is brutal.  And then they paid Kyler.  I'm so glad the Jets are not in that situation.

Though the QB situation for the Jets is still very much in question going forward.  Someone said MW is a FA after this season.  It's still only 1 game but I think we've seen that MW can play in this league.  But how much are the Jets going to pay to keep him?  And how much are other teams going to want him?  Are we going to franchise tag him?  (Hard to imagine but I guess we'll see what happens the rest of the way).

If Mike White continues to impress, and we get into the playoffs with him, then they absolutely could end up franchising him. At that point he would be a hot commodity. So if they couldn’t reach some kind of deal, the Jets could franchise him, give him one extra year to see if this is real and then work on A contract.

20 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

If Mike White continues to impress, and we get into the playoffs with him, then they absolutely could end up franchising him. At that point he would be a hot commodity. So if they couldn’t reach some kind of deal, the Jets could franchise him, give him one extra year to see if this is real and then work on A contract.

30 million for the franchise tag on a QB.  

• Ugh 1

As bad as that Russell Wilson contract hurts the Broncos, it is the terms of the trade that are incredible. 

Denver got Russell Wilson and a 2022 4th round pick.

Seattle got 2022 1st, 2nd and 5th round picks.  2023 1st and 2nd round picks.  QB Drew Lock (recent 2d round pick), TE Noah Fant (recent 1st round pick), and Shelby Harris.

That is an absolute screwing.  It reminds me of the Trey Lance trade . . . . alas . . . .

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

White is going to be extremely interesting come contract time if he stays hot.  Everyone clamoring for Jimmy G basically saw our own version of that yesterday (perhaps even better).  If White carries the team to the playoffs, biggest question will be is it sustainable? 

• Upvote 1

It is interesting to see the debates on whether a franchise QB is worth the price of soaking up so much cap space/gutting the rest of the team. The window for winning is hard to pin down - between when the second contract hits the books and you've juggled the roster to fit it in, and the subsequent erosion of the roster over the ensuing years as the other emerging or established stars on the roster leave as FA or are let go/traded for peanuts as THEIR salary requirements put pressure on the overall cap. May it come to the point where a 10-20 ranked QB, and a stronger overall roster (supported by a more equal share of the cap dollars) equates to more consistent success? It is another path, aside from the rookie QB five year contract window method that seems to be popular - but I don't think any of these (or the "trade all the picks" method of the Rams) absolutely guarantees long term sustained success. 

IMHO, coaches and or GM's happen to hit on a QB - and they look like and are labeled "geniuses". As for GM's, selecting one high in a given draft is even more of a crapshoot than selecting other positions. Newsome was considered a very good GM despite never picking a HOF QB. George Young didn't either. Is BB great because he stumbled on Tom Brady? Cowher/Mike Tomlin? Chuck Noll? Don Shula?  All of them had the good fortune of having HOF QB's for a dozen or more years, plus a couple of other HOF guys on the roster. To me, Joe Gibbs, Dick Vermeil, and Andy Reid might be better coaches because they were above mediocre even when they did not have "great" QB's. I think you have to keep the roster strong, and hope the QB piece steps in at the right time. If Mike White becomes our Tannehill/Garropolo or a bit better, that might - or might not - be good enough. But a strong, balanced  roster ensures that the team can be ready for that golden opportunity when it strikes.

(Free the Strev!! ? ) 

• Upvote 2