Saleh needs to be praised

NOSIDE

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it was probably more of a PR discussion.

How to frame it, what words to use? figure out answers to the tough questions before they are asked.

Even to be prepared for questions like, will Zach be inactive or back up.

They had Tuesday to do that, Monday's meeting was to sell it to ownership.

His handling of many of the issues that could have derailed this team or splintered the locker room has been fantastic this season. He has the team at 7-4 and looking for a playoff birth with 6 games left when even the most optimistic fans had them capped at 7-8 wins for the season. His in game adjustments and decisions have mostly been great, and the team has mostly come out ready to play both halves of football every game. 

He's been quite the pleasant surprise after what was a pretty bad year last year. He's clearly grown tremendously in the role from year 1 to year 2, and I would be very happy if he continues to prove me wrong and continues to build and compete with this team for years to come. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Saleh does deserve praise. Benching the number 2 pick also makes his OC kinda look like he cant develop a young QB and im sure JD wasnt happy about it. But COACH made the call! 

I'm all in on Saleh after this week

Not the way I see it.  

Having White run the offense correctly makes it look like Zach is inept at running a really great offensive scheme with excellent play calls. 

if anything, it’s his “See! It wasn’t Me!!” moment.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Link?  Support?  Evidence?

or just more conjecture?  Again.

Idk why you keep asking for links.  Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Is it that unreasonable that the Owner and GM would have a say in benching the #2 overall pick who the owner just gave a $23 million signing bonus check to 18 months ago and a guaranteed $35 million contract? That's an organizational decision bc they know there is no coming back from this for Wilson. You're telling the owner that you're moving to a new stage organizationally and if Mike White is not the answer going into 2023 the Owner is going to have to cut a huge check to somebody who can be the answer at QB bc this is a win now team and that only lasts a few years.

Many pundits on TV and radio have already expressed the same thing about how a decision like this gets made.  Boomer Esiason said the only way they bench Wilson is if Woody walks into JD and Salehs offices and says enough is enough and to bench him. So what @Reasonable Jets Fan said is actually, reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Not the way I see it.  

Having White run the offense correctly makes it look like Zach is inept at running a really great offensive scheme with excellent play calls. 

if anything, it’s his “See! It wasn’t Me!!” moment.

It was tremendous validation for the OC and the wrs.  Makes it harder for the Vikings to prepare for now that moore and davis are back and get the ball.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Idk why you keep asking for links.  Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Is it that unreasonable that the Owner and GM would have a say in benching the #2 overall pick who the owner just gave a $23 million signing bonus check to 18 months ago and a guaranteed $35 million contract? That's an organizational decision bc they know there is no coming back from this for Wilson. You're telling the owner that you're moving to a new stage organizationally and if Mike White is not the answer going into 2023 the Owner is going to have to cut a huge check to somebody who can be the answer at QB bc this is a win now team and that only lasts a few years.

Many pundits on TV and radio have already expressed the same thing about how a decision like this gets made.  Boomer Esiason said the only way they bench Wilson is if Woody walks into JD and Salehs offices and says enough is enough and to bench him. So what @Reasonable Jets Fan said is actually, reasonable. 

Some posters just love presenting their unsupported speculation as though they were iron-clad facts. 

That's what we have here.  He provides zero reasoning/evidence but claims it to be the truth.   If he has the support for his claims, then he should post it.  Otherwise it's nothing but an unsupported opinion pretending to be a fact.  

Posting etiquette: post your opinions as such, not as facts. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree. 

Me?  I've done a complete 180 on Saleh this season.  Nobody was more critical and doubtful of him than I was at the close of 2021.   Loving his decisions and guts as shown this season.  

Same. Completely shocked by the turnaround basically happening instantly. Not probable at all but it happened. Really makes me change my perception on things based on this exact situation. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be shocked if JD and Saleh didn't make the decision together... JD needs wins, just as much as Saleh for them both to keep their jobs... Just like I believe that it was both JD and Saleh's decision to draft ZW. This team is only going as far as both JD and Saleh making decisions together based on what's best for this team. I don't see JD having such a big ego that he would override what's best for this team. Just my take.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NOSIDE said:

As much as I hope Zach can be salvaged, it takes some balls to bench the number 2 pick overall. Keyshawn said on his KJM podcast that he heard White was better in minicamp and training camp- but the coaching staff didn’t want the ownership to “look bad”.  The jets finally have adults in the room leading 

not only did he bench Zach- the number 2 overall pick, he also benched a healthy Robinson (who we traded draft capital for) for Bam, based on “running style”. These moves take balls and confidence. Love how he’s coaching the team!

that plus also keeping this team focused inspite of wilson's bad qb play.  i really hope wilson is honest with himself and his team mates since he's the one most responsible for losing twice to the patsies.  think how well this team would be sitting if they won just one of those games, 8-3 and in first place.  now they have a much tougher road and the up coming buffalo and miami games are near must wins.

42 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think that if ownership invests in the number 2 overall pick, they would be adamant that the coaching staff do “their job” and develop him. The team invested a huge amount into ZW, ownership wouldn’t push to bench him because it’s an indictment on them. Normally, ownership would push the coaching staff to play the young draft pick and develop him. 

this is what Keyshawn said in his podcast. His communications with people on the team said White was better than Zach in minicamp and TC, but they didn’t want to just make the outright decision to bench him. After seeing what he did in NE, I think it was Saleh who started the discussion, and it’s a big deal, cuz if MW comes out and lays an egg, it’s a major indictment on Saleh. I don’t see how ownership would Be the initiators of this decision. Sure they had to sign off, but I feel Saleh was the one who made the initial call.

1 hour ago, NOSIDE said:

As much as I hope Zach can be salvaged, it takes some balls to bench the number 2 pick overall. Keyshawn said on his KJM podcast that he heard White was better in minicamp and training camp- but the coaching staff didn’t want the ownership to “look bad”.  The jets finally have adults in the room leading 

not only did he bench Zach- the number 2 overall pick, he also benched a healthy Robinson (who we traded draft capital for) for Bam, based on “running style”. These moves take balls and confidence. Love how he’s coaching the team!

I think Woody needs to be praised this time too.   For once, his meddling worked out.  Given what took place, it seems like Saleh wanted to bench Wilson to both avoid a player revolt and save the season.  It also seems like JD was in opposition. And, I believe that Woody showed up to their "meeting" and broke the deadlock. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

My guess is in a decision like that.”, saleh discusses with both JD and likely woody.  He knows the locker more than jd and woody and therefore gives his opinion and recco based on that.  I highly doubt this was woody handing the decision down or even JD.  Salehs call but on this one, he needed organizational approval.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Salehs demeanor and approach this year seems a lot more mature. He still brings great energy but he looks so much more in control than he did a year ago.  I also like that he’s not getting too high after wins or too low.  He really seems to have a great balance of winning attributes and not sure I totally saw that a year ago.

That is called GROWTH.  The guy had never been a HC before at any level plus he also had a rookie OC.  The most impressive thing I see in Saleh is HE IS GETTING BETTER.  Some guys never learn and keep doing the same thing and stuck with their "system" and usually are gone in 2 or 3 years.   Saleh looks like he incorporates some of the best traits of guys like Herm Edwards, whom the players really enjoyed playing for, and Parcells who was about accountability and players earning their playing time.   I think he and JD make for a great team.    

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Yes.

Also probably could have won us the Pats game by going to White sooner.

Also worried about his rhetoric after the game, he was eager to play down White’s performance. We’ll see where he goes if White hits a speed bump - I think he should stick with him regardless.

He deserves credit for taking a stand for the team but we’ll see if he keeps this up.

IMO...both Pats games could've been Ws with White at the helm.

His post snap read-progression decisions...plus his accuracy...is far superior then what ZW has been giving Jets.  Combine that with good enough arm strength and mobility.  For this season at least...

White gives Jets best chance for a win.  With six games left...4-2 is doable.  And that gets Jets into the playoffs for sure.  3-3 could also get them in. 

White's level of consistency of play...shouldn't get him to a quick hook that easily.  He'd have to be absolutely horrible for like six straight quarters for that to possibly happen.  

So...I'm all for White playing out the string.  We've seen nothing but erratic play from Zach through 20 games.   

Lets see what happens with Mike White as QB NYJ for at least six more.  

2 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

I think that now that the playoffs is in sight, there is more urgency to put the team in the best possible position to win games.  Saleh is making the tough decisions, and I'm loving it.

• Upvote 2

Also note that in terms of expectations of the coaching staff, have we had on this board (or elsewhere) had any big issues about clock management or situational coaching? Gone are the head scratching use of timeouts, bad clock management, two minute (cavity) drills, etc. Watching the Bucs and Brady piss away 15 seconds in the last minute of a game by not using a timeout reminded me of all the times the Jets shot themselves in the foot in similar circumstances. What a relief: one less thing to worry about.

• Upvote 2

Saleh and JD were preparing to make this move when they elevated Mike White to the number #2 QB for the 1st Pats game. Zach got lucky in the Bills game since Josh Allen did not play well so he was given another shot. They really should have benched him in the 2nd half of 1st Patriots game but probably JD and Saleh came to a previous agreement to ride with Zach and see if they could get him straighten out during bye week. The bye week gave Mike White some more reps as well. They should have pulled the plug on Zach sometime during the 2nd Patriots game but the score was tied and hoped Zach had another 4Q like against the Steelers but it never happened saw all you need to do to rattle Zach was pressure up the middle since he never steps up in the pocket. His press conference "no" answer sealed his fate. Zach is only 23 and taking a lot of criticism from everyone and I mean everyone for his play and mental state of mind. The Jets as a team did him a favor by deactivating him, hopefully for the rest of the year to get his head straight and toughen him up both on and off the field. Lets see what happens going forward.

I can only assume the 2 hour meeting Saleh had was to let Woody know the plan and plan going forward and well as Mike White, Zach and the rest of the team. Woody wants to sell season tickets and winning helps regardless of the QB. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

7-4 heading into December! Say that again. 7-4 heading into December. Next up the 9-2 Vikings. I wish they'd flex that game to Sunday Night. PRIME TIME vs Kirk Cousins.

Thank you JD and Robert Saleh!

2022 Jets are playing with House money, they should be playing loose every game.  Best way to play.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Also note that in terms of expectations of the coaching staff, have we had on this board (or elsewhere) had any big issues about clock management or situational coaching? Gone are the head scratching use of timeouts, bad clock management, two minute (cavity) drills, etc. Watching the Bucs and Brady piss away 15 seconds in the last minute of a game by not using a timeout reminded me of all the times the Jets shot themselves in the foot in similar circumstances. What a relief: one less thing to worry about.

In addition to that, the team managed to pull themselves out of what could have been a backbreaking loss to a lesser team yesterday.  How many times in the past have we seen a Jets team that was in the playoff hunt come out flat and headscratchingly lose to a team they should have beaten, putting their postseason hopes in jeopardy and causing us fans to have to scoreboard watch and hope for other contending teams to lose to keep our hopes alive?  

After the initial Mike White-led scoring drive yesterday, it looked like the game could be trending that way… but the team pulled it together, got the nose up before the plane crashed, and ended up coasting to a comfortable victory - another testament to the mental toughness and resolve that has been built into this team, and another SOJ demon exorcised by Saleh and company.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think this is accurate by Keyshawn. The reports by our beat writers were that Mike White DID NOT have a good camp which is why Flacco was the #2 QB going into the season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1