Robert Saleh Press Conference (11/28)

jetsons

I think the pressure to get Zach back on the field is coming from JD who doesn't want to admit the colossal draft bust he picked with the #2 OA pick.  I think Saleh knows he'll risk losing the locker room if he puts Zach back in no matter how MW or Flacco plays and would prefer not to put Zach back in this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Come on you guys flying into a panic, what he means is that if we are solidly  in or out of the playoffs wilson will get some time in meaningless games and or garbage time.  It's also good for him to not anoint White just yet,  The last time White had his epic game he was 1-3 overall that year and had a 4 int game.  Keep the pressure on to perform and compete.

yup.  As long as White is playing and playing well, and the games are still meaningful, he is starting.  If we fall out of the hunt, he goes back to Zach.  This is White's team for now.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, fullblast said:

I wonder what it will take for them to fully commit to White for the rest of the year. Maybe solid performances against Minny/Buffalo. Seems like they want to keep the door open just in case White struggles over the next couple of weeks. Pretty much a mirror of the Wentz/Heinicke situation. If White continues to play well over these next 2 games they can't go back.

Actually the mirror situation I'm hoping for is Wentz/Foles, not Wentz/Heinicke...

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I think the pressure to get Zach back on the field is coming from JD who doesn't want to admit the colossal draft bust he picked with the #2 OA pick.  I think Saleh knows he'll risk losing the locker room if he puts Zach back in no matter how MW or Flacco plays and would prefer not to put Zach back in this season.

Disagree with the premise that JD is pressing for Zach to be back ASAP as I don’t think anyone is saying it. The pressure to me falls squarely on Mike White to continue to play at a high level and guide the squad into the playoffs if he does that there will be no talk of when is Zach coming back as the starter. All that matters to JD , Saleh and the rest of the organization is winning games doesn’t matter who the QB is 

32 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Disagree with the premise that JD is pressing for Zach to be back ASAP as I don’t think anyone is saying it. The pressure to me falls squarely on Mike White to continue to play at a high level and guide the squad into the playoffs if he does that there will be no talk of when is Zach coming back as the starter. All that matters to JD , Saleh and the rest of the organization is winning games doesn’t matter who the QB is 

To me the question of Zach ever being a NFL QB has been answered.  If MW isn't the answer then we need to find a QB for next season because Zach is history.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Yikes.

Seen this coming after his post game comments. He didn’t want to praise White at all.

Concerning - They’re really gonna play Zach vs Detroit unless White makes it impossible. 

Really makes you wonder who the audience was for that answer. Surely, it wasn’t the locker room, nor was it for the fans. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Come on you guys flying into a panic, what he means is that if we are solidly  in or out of the playoffs wilson will get some time in meaningless games and or garbage time.  It's also good for him to not anoint White just yet,  The last time White had his epic game he was 1-3 overall that year and had a 4 int game.  Keep the pressure on to perform and compete.

Here’s the stock answer: “Mike White is the starter for right now, and he’s earned the job. The best players are gonna play. That said, we know what kind of competitor Zach is, and these two guys are gonna keep pushing each other to play as well as they can.” Easy peasy, unless there are other interested parties involved whose interests have to be served. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s the stock answer: “Mike White the the starter for right now, and he’s earned the job. The best players are gonna play. That said, we know what kind of competitor Zach is, and these two guys are gonna keep pushing each other to play as well as they can.” Easy peasy, unless there are other interested parties involved whose interests have to be served. 

Agree with this 

as much as I want to say that it doesn’t matter what he says to the media as long as MW plays,  the way he responded is concerning given how obvious it is to say what you laid out. We have heard coaches give that line countless times. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

People don’t see that the Jets are being run by adults and not reactionary fans yet?  Well guess what, they are…

No the Jets should not be throwing their Number 2 into the trash heap yet and should be  trying to get Zach right if at all possible. Why? Cause whether we all think of it or not the Jets are trying to build a championship SB team not just make playoff appearances.

Think half of us have been out here saying Q Williams was bust, but competent management just wont make that move unilaterally without giving guys they drafted for a reason to be groomed and developed  

I believe that the Jets believe that White is a good QB who fits into the latter type of QB above who again is really good but who may get you to the playoffs but who may not be able to get you over the hump of getting you to and winning a SB……Think it is crazy????

Well in fact, it is for this same reason why the 49ers were trying to move off of Jimmy G after he literally had already taken them to a SB appearance! Why cause he stunk?

No, but because they, the 49ers, felt rightly or wrongly that Jimmy G couldn’t consistently get them SBs , it is a different level of planning than we are used to out here on behalf of the Jets who all to often are satisfied to “win” some games and hope for the playoffs.  And don’t forget Saleh comes from that tree, thinking and planning.

The Jets and Saleh are planning to win championships and that is why they hesitate on just saying White is the guy just yet, he could be, but they won’t announce that cause for once the Jets have adults in the room and they have a plan and they are sticking to it!!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

People don’t see that the Jets are being run by adults and not reactionary fans yet?  Well guess what, they are…

No the Jets should not be throwing their Number 2 into the trash heap yet and should be  trying to get Zach right if at all possible. Why? Cause whether we all think of it or not the Jets are trying to build a championship SB team not just make playoff appearances.

Think half of us have been out here saying Q Williams was bust, but competent management just wont make that move unilaterally without giving guys they drafted for a reason to be groomed and developed  

I believe that the Jets believe that White is a good QB who fits into the latter type of QB above who again is really good but who may get you to the playoffs but who may not be able to get you over the hump of getting you to and winning a SB……Think it is crazy????

Well in fact, it is for this same reason why the 49ers were trying to move off of Jimmy G after he literally had already taken them to a SB appearance! Why cause he stunk?

No, but because they, the 49ers, felt rightly or wrongly that Jimmy G couldn’t consistently get them SBs , it is a different level of planning than we are used to out here on behalf of the Jets who all to often are satisfied to “win” some games and hope for the playoffs.  And don’t forget Saleh comes from that tree, thinking and planning.

The Jets and Saleh are planning to win championships and that is why they hesitate on just saying White is the guy just yet, he could be, but they won’t announce that cause for once the Jets have adults in the room and they have a plan and they are sticking to it!!

The 49ers trade of draft capital for a project with a SB ready team was one of the worst organizational moves ever.   They got lucky because they destroyed Jimmys trade value.   

I don’t think emulating that move makes them grownups.   This looks more like the Kerr-Megee shower scene in Silkwood.   

They didn’t plan for Zach being this bad and possibly unsalvageable.  

it seems way more like they didn’t have a grownup plan for Zach failing with a potential SB team this year.  

That’s not necessarily a firing offense.  Good organizations have to adjust on the fly to unplanned circumstances.   It could very well be that Saleh needs to bring JD and maybe Woody on board before moving on from Zach this year and possibly going forward next year.  TBD…

This on the surface seems way more like internal politics than a grown up plan by management.

• Upvote 4

I’m still not sure why I did it, but I flipped over to WFAN this morning to see what Esiason had to say, and his thought was 1. Mike White is the unquestioned starter unless he absolutely face-plants (which Boomer thinks is unlikely, and 2. Saleh phrased the answer in such a way to “keep Zach motivated and engaged,” which, what? If keeping the #2 pick who just got benched “motivated” to get his job back is a problem, then they should throw him on IR tomorrow. Kid is pocketing $30 million dollars to be a catastrophic bust, but the head coach has to parse his words in order to keep him “engaged”? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lith said:

yup.  As long as White is playing and playing well, and the games are still meaningful, he is starting.  If we fall out of the hunt, he goes back to Zach.  This is White's team for now.

Agreed.  And if they want to showcase him after he fixes his issues, the only time he should have the opportunity to do so is if White screws the pooch or we have a massive lead and we don't want to risk injury to White.  If White finishes the year I think Wilson's chances of ever putting the uniform back on are slim to none.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

The 49ers trade of draft capital for a project with a SB ready team was one of the worst organizational moves ever.   They got lucky because they destroyed Jimmys trade value.   

I don’t think emulating that move makes them grownups.   This looks more like the Kerr-Megee shower scene in Silkwood.   

They didn’t plan for Zach being this bad and possibly unsalvageable.  

it seems way more like they didn’t have a grownup plan for Zach failing with a potential SB team this year.  

That’s not necessarily a firing offense.  Good organizations have to adjust on the fly to unplanned circumstances.   It could very well be that Saleh needs to bring JD and maybe Woody on board before moving on from Zach this year and possibly going forward next year.  TBD…

This on the surface seems way more like internal politics than a grown up plan by management.

We will see, whichever they end up proceeding I truly believe that Robert Saleh is the right man for the job…..

I just believe that if Saleh thought that Mike White was Tom Brady he wouldn’t hold him back and would simply say as others have suggested that “it is up to Mike White to keep himself on the field.”

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m still not sure why I did it, but I flipped over to WFAN this morning to see what Esiason had to say, and his thought was 1. Mike White is the unquestioned starter unless he absolutely face-plants (which Boomer thinks is unlikely, and 2. Saleh phrased the answer in such a way to “keep Zach motivated and engaged,” which, what? If keeping the #2 pick who just got benched “motivated” to get his job back is a problem, then they should throw him on IR tomorrow. Kid is pocketing $30 million dollars to be a catastrophic bust, but the head coach has to parse his words in order to keep him “engaged”? 

If you believe Zach's real problem is mental and there's even a glimpse of hope for correction, wouldn't you say the same thing?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah ... i agree ... I don't see White faceplanting against the bottom tier defenses he will face in the coming weeks. I expect efficient opportunistic play.  He really should dominate a couple of these games. Like the Vikings.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The first issue you have is that you turned on WFAN. The second was listening to Boomer Esaison as if he knows what Joe Douglass and Robert Saleh's plan is for the QB position moving foward. ?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I cant imagine he actually means this, like, I feel like this is protecting Zach's fragile ego.  The key is saying week to week, which seems like keeping the door open for a Zach return but homeboy was deactivated last week.  He's got some deep mental issues going on along w/ being a fundamental mess and observably terrible at Football after 20 games in the NFL, aint no way a few weeks after being benched, the light goes on and he's suddenly good.  Zach Wilson maybe will never figure it out, so it seems extremely optimistic and unrealistic it happens in 2022.

• Upvote 2

Saleh's comments are fine IMO and here's why. Getting Zach's footwork fixed isn't something that's going to happen in a week or a few weeks. It's going to take months, if not longer. In the mean time, if White gets injured they're going to want to put a healthy Wilson in over Flacco - footwork problems or not. It's a lot easier sell to the media and, frankly, Zach to put him back in if you didn't already publicly write him off for the season.

Sure, as soon as Zach's ready to go (which Saleh knows is months out), he'll be out there.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh's comments are fine IMO and here's why. Getting Zach's footwork fixed isn't something that's going to happen in a week or a few weeks. It's going to take months, if not longer. In the mean time, if White gets injured they're going to want to put a healthy Wilson in over Flacco - footwork problems or not. It's a lot easier sell to the media and, frankly, Zach to put him back in if you didn't already publicly write him off for the season.

Sure, as soon as Zach's ready to go (which Saleh knows is months out), he'll be out there.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

It’s not his footwork.  So much more than that.  The footwork is simply a byproduct of getting his head right.

All the signs of something far deeper are there.  The Jets have to realize this.  

15 minutes ago, Sweetjoe said:

If you believe Zach's real problem is mental and there's even a glimpse of hope for correction, wouldn't you say the same thing?

I think Zach is in Week Two of an entire locker room flagrantly celebrating his benching and the ascension of his backup. If something Saleh says in a press conference is going to push him over a cliff, they should honestly just IR him and send him to LA to work with John Beck for a month or two. They should provide Mike White the same courtesy they gave to Zach in the first place—by quashing any semblance of competition for the QB1 job.

• Post of the Week 1