Michael Irvin/ESPN on Jets QB situation

Bronx

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

The lazy national media take without watching a game is that Zach Wilson is the #2 pick and the future so he shouldn't have been benched and needs to play....I have heard the same line 20 times today.  These people are all drones with the same exact opinions.

they dont want the Jets to win, its simple

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, undertow said:

The lazy national media take without watching a game is that Zach Wilson is the #2 pick and the future so he shouldn't have been benched and needs to play....I have heard the same line 20 times today.  These people are all drones with the same exact opinions.

Stupid is as stupid does. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Hypothetical - if we're already locked in on our season outcome ahead of Wk 18 (i.e. nothing to play for based on the outcome) - do you rest White and play Zach? :D  

That could be why Saleh says the plan is to have ZW play again this season. ;-)  

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, undertow said:

Who gives a sh*t? They get off making fun of us. Those of us who actually care know he should have been benched at halftime of the Patriots game.  This is our team, to them we're nothing more than web traffic for advertisers. Their uneducated opinion on the state of our team means less to than an uppirt vegans opinion on my diet. 

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Why is Zach Wilson more talented than Mike White?  Because he runs faster?  Because he throws a faster ball?  Why does that make him more talented?  Are they playing baseball, competing in track meets?  Or are they playing Quarterback?  idk, call me crazy but White seems more talented considering the results. 

Agree 100%, need to judge QB talent by leadership, reading defenses, standing tall in the pocket, accuracy and making the players around you better. Not because how fast or how far you can though the ball or how fast you can run backwards.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The way these segments get produced is, as they’re in a commercial break, a producer gets in their earpieces and says “We’re doing three minutes on Zach Wilson. Stephen A, you go after Zach Wilson and, Michael, you take the other side. Note that Stephen A pronounces “Saleh” wrong. They have stats and info guys in their ears guiding them along. They do zero prep outside of the production meetings where Irvin tries to sober up while getting debriefed on what happened in every other game that didn’t involve the Cowboys.

I was thinking the same thing. Irvin could care less about the Jets QB situation, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if his meh position on White has a lot to do with HIS team having drafted him but NOT having the wisdom to see that he is about to become one of the top 5 QBs in the AFC. Also, the whole running meme among these guys that Zach Wilson has all the talent in the world, fock man I haven't seen it, he hasn't shown me ANY consistency, he hasn't played one whole complete NFL football game.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really can't  believe nobody is talking about how difficult it will be to bring back Zach this season. The season is no longer about evaluating Wilson, it is about getting into the playoffs and seeing where this team goes from there, not seeing where Zach is developmentally.  The Zach evaluation imo is over. The Jets should know by now what they have and I don't  think it is good. As I have said in another post, if Zach is brought back under any other circumstances other than injury or more likely injuries,  he will have to come out firing strikes all over the field. There is no other justification other than starting Zach would be opening a can of whoop ass on the other team. 

Also, I applaud  Stephen A. He was the only one to come out and say MW is the starter. The only thing he didn't  do is jump all over Irvin for this what do you do when he throws 3 picks. That was last season. I think White learned something from that game against the Bills and will be more careful with the ball. It isn't  like his M.O. is to sling it anyway. 

Bart Scott is the only guy who I have seen who has done the work and gone back and re-watched all of the White High and low lights from 2021. Bart on a segment I just watched brought up about the 2 picks that went off the Jets receiver's hands-both of the Bengal INTs and all these guys keep waiting for another 3 pick day which isn't going to happen because this defense isn't about to allow the Jets to get behind by 21 (and more) points his the 2 Pats picks and 3 of the 4 Bills INTs

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, undertow said:

100% why I stopped listening/following them and soley YouTube content like @bla bla bla, @Green Bean , Matt O'Leary, Paul BoyGreen,  Jets Media, Buffalo, Frankie From Flatbush and others. They are so much more knowledgable. I honestly dont understand how anyone can listen to the national sports media. I find it collectively awful.

(with the exception of Jake Asman who works for ESPN but does Jets content)

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Why is Zach Wilson more talented than Mike White?  Because he runs faster?  Because he throws a faster ball?  Why does that make him more talented?  Are they playing baseball, competing in track meets?  Or are they playing Quarterback?  idk, call me crazy but White seems more talented considering the results. 

I don't think Wilson is more talented. He may have a stronger arm, but if you aren't accurate what difference does it make. Plus, if you take .08 seconds longer to make a decision where to throw the ball you are not maximizing your talent. White reads defenses better and doesn't panic in the face of a pass rush. Wilson does.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, BigB said:

Agree 100%, need to judge QB talent by leadership, reading defenses, standing tall in the pocket, accuracy and making the players around you better. Not because how fast or how far you can though the ball or how fast you can run backwards.

That has been my point all along, so I agree 100 %. White reads defenses better, stands tall in the pocket and throws with accuracy. I have seen Wilson do some of these things some of the time, but he is most clearly not a leader.

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Also, I applaud  Stephen A. He was the only one to come out and say MW is the starter. The only thing he didn't  do is jump all over Irvin for this what do you do when he throws 3 picks. That was last season. I think White learned something from that game against the Bills and will be more careful with the ball. It isn't  like his M.O. is to sling it anyway. 

This is a far more talented Jets team offensively than last year. Elijah Moore was the only truly reliable WR the Jets had last year. Corey Davis was injured a lot and Braxton Berrios plays the same position as Moore. White will take the QB job and run with it. What the Jets do with Zach Wilson next year I couldn't care less. I think they have no choice but to keep him on the practice squad for the next two years and then dump him. After the way he acted on Sunday - not showing any team spirit, not showing support for White and running away from the media - shows a distinct lack of leadership.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, BigB said:

For sure and look, I love traits as much as anyone, I wanted Fields so I'm all about drafting freak athletes and figuring it out but Zach aint that, he's a decent athlete w/ an injury history that I dont think is just so freaky deaky that he's head and shoulders that much better of an athlete than Mike White that it truly matters, so what if he runs a half a second more and throws 10 mph more or whatever, it's insignificant w/ what you're asking from these guys.  It's not like you've suddenly benched a guy who's giving you a 100 yards rushing and the league has a long history of QB's who have cannon arms and sh*t for brains.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't think Wilson is more talented. He may have a stronger arm, but if you aren't accurate what difference does it make. Plus, if you take .08 seconds longer to make a decision where to throw the ball you are not maximizing your talent. White reads defenses better and doesn't panic in the face of a pass rush. Wilson does.

Yep.  100%.  I made this analogy to my Pops when talking about the situation.  I started on Varsity as a sophomore on my High School BBall team.  I was a good athlete.  I made the starting line up over athletes who were better than me, every single year.  Taller, faster, jump higher, you name it but it wasnt such a drop off that you felt the difference when they were in the game.  Instead, my fundamentals; shooting, dribbling, passing, executing the offense, playing team D, boxing out on rebounds, first on the court for the ball, etc, that kept them on the bench.  I was also the leader of the team, many times my coach would say if only I had 4 other JiF's on the team.  These things are more important than being a few inches taller and having better hops,

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

100% why I stopped listening/following them and soley YouTube content like @bla bla bla, @Green Bean , Matt O'Leary, Paul BoyGreen,  Jets Media, Buffalo, Frankie From Flatbush and others. They are so much more knowledgable. I honestly dont understand how hanyone can listen to the national sports media. I find it collectively awful.

(with the exception of Jake Asman who works for ESPN but does Jets content)

Those guys were pushing the same nonsense two weeks ago....at least they have now pivoted and are pretending they didn't think 150 yards a game was awesome Zach Wilson play and weren't calling people idiots and negative for thinking otherwise. lmao

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The way these segments get produced is, as they’re in a commercial break, a producer gets in their earpieces and says “We’re doing three minutes on Zach Wilson. Stephen A, you go after Zach Wilson and, Michael, you take the other side. Note that Stephen A pronounces “Saleh” wrong. They have stats and info guys in their ears guiding them along. They do zero prep outside of the production meetings where Irvin tries to sober up while getting debriefed on what happened in every other game that didn’t involve the Cowboys.

Ok so not only are you a soothsayer and can predict busts but you clearly have done lots of TV production works as well. What other talents do u have

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

Sarcasm?   White dropped in the draft because of his poor combine testing. I’m confused about the baseball analogy.   

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Hypothetical - if we're already locked in on our season outcome ahead of Wk 18 (i.e. nothing to play for based on the outcome) - do you rest White and play Zach? :D  

That could be why Saleh says the plan is to have ZW play again this season. ;-)  

In a normal situation yes but not in this case.

The locker room or parts of it simply do not want Zach on the field.

whether it is personal or talent, I simply would not want to upset the chemistry.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

This is a far more talented Jets team offensively than last year. Elijah Moore was the only truly reliable WR the Jets had last year. Corey Davis was injured a lot and Braxton Berrios plays the same position as Moore. White will take the QB job and run with it. What the Jets do with Zach Wilson next year I couldn't care less. I think they have no choice but to keep him on the practice squad for the next two yearsc and then dump him. After the way he acted on Sunday - not showing any team spirit, not showing support for White and running away from the media - shows a distinct lack of leadership.

Zach Wilson will not last 5 minutes on the practice squad.  I do not like the kid much, but he has value, even as a project.  The idea is ridiculous.  

There is a bunch of other stuff I question too.  Moore played mostly outside last year.  Seemed to do fine, except when Wilson was QB.  Likewise, they had Crowder who may have been a better WR than any of the rest including Corey Davis who I beleive missed three games last year.  He has already missed two in 2022.  I get that Garrett Wilson has been good, but the Oline should have been better.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Trotter said:

In a normal situation yes but not in this case.

The locker room or parts of it simply do not want Zach on the field.

whether it is personal or talent, I simply would not want to upset the chemistry.

What if most of the guys who don't like Zach also get a rest that game?

We can start Smith / Mims / Berrios and the likes, give GW and EM a day off to sit and watch Zach get pummelled. :D  

I know it likely won't happen, more reps between these guys will help immensely. But if the game is decided in the 4th, and / or the outcome has no bearing on what happens next, I could see a lot of backups getting some game time. Though more likely to be Flacco / Strev than ZW at this point I guess.

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

What if most of the guys who don't like Zach also get a rest that game?

We can start Smith / Mims / Berrios and the likes, give GW and EM a day off to sit and watch Zach get pummelled. :D  

I know it likely won't happen, more reps between these guys will help immensely. But if the game is decided in the 4th, and / or the outcome has no bearing on what happens next, I could see a lot of backups getting some game time. Though more likely to be Flacco / Strev than ZW at this point I guess.

Certainly an option sir.

So other than Berrios and Zach on the field, where do we get the other 20?

You know I am just trying to be funny - Thursday is all ready off to a brutal start.