Robert Saleh: Mike White's huge game hasn't altered Jets' QB plan

Larz

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Chicago is in full tank mode.   Wilson has faced a guantlet of good defensive teams.  If Saleh really was all in for Wilson the one game he doesn't bench him is against get right Chicago. 

We have no idea what Mike White looks like in practice.  Most of the roster has only seen him in limited reps with backups or the scout team.  The body of evidence on Mike White is very small. 

In 2 weeks everyone will get to view tape of Mike White and Zach Wilson against Buffalo.  

There is no doubt the organization hasn't given up on Zach.  That doesn't mean they are going to sacrifice a deep playoff run if Mike White is the real deal.  

The players have most definitely seen what Mike White looks like in practice every day, and that’s going against a top-three defense in the league. 

9 minutes ago, Arsis said:

Mike White has a 1 year contract no? If plays well the rest of the year I see no reason why he comes back to play for Saleh who is obviously in love with Wilson.

we might not be able to sign White. some QB starved team will throw him a nice amount of money to make him their starter. or he can come back here and lose in TC to Zach in some phony competition.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will never be convinced that there isn’t some larger deal in place to protect and preserve Zach Wilson’s tender ego. There’s no way a coach compromises himself or his program like this for a player who is so unquestionably terrible—in all facets—otherwise.

Can’t you just enjoy the play of the guy you want to start without looking over you shoulder for Zach’s return?  
The idea that a HC and GM, both with jobs deeply dependent on Ws & Ls are going to play the lesser of the two just because?  Saleh didn’t draft ZW, JD did.  

• Upvote 1

It's a weird look but Saleh has been pretty good at pressing the right buttons and doesn't appear to be blind to reality. Could be that there is some internal push to shield Wilson or even get him back out there but unless you spin some elaborate conspiracy theory.. who would even want that? I think we can safely rule out the OC and the entire roster besides Zach himself.

the question is if wilson can regain any semblence to the form that made him the no. 2 pick.  watching the film it doesn't look like he's always making bad decision but more that he's not getting set right to make the throws. and he's throwing late  and play calling and oline are issues.  the jets ran well on sunday and they ran the whole game.  of course it helps to be up in the score but still, the running helps to tire out the other team. 

let's see what saleh makes.  he sees white and wilson everyday and certainly ade the right call against the bears.  i do agree that if white does rip off a nice string of wins then he should keep the job for the rest of the season.  minny first.

It'll be fascinating to see the mood of the team if MW plays well but ZW is brought back anyway.

I don't think Saleh is lying when he's saying ZW will return, btw.  I get the feeling that when he says "Mike's got an opportunity to stack another great day up this week" he means "MW is getting another week to audition for another team to sign him as a FA this offseason".

• More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

This is just much ado about nothing, but gives the media something to yap about.  Having said that, yeah, I wish Saleh would choose his words a bit more carefully at times. 

If they really plan to try a "reset" on ZW, then sit him the rest of the season and decide about the long-term QB after the season.

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Seriously calm down guys. He NEEDS to say that. Just like he needed to say benching zach was the furthest thing from his mind and then benched him 3 days later. 

If white continues to have success, zach is not getting back this year.

This 100%.

Only way we see Zach again this year is if White struggles and we fall out of the playoff race.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe the Jets need to reimagine their QB room next year with nothing but plucky underdogs beloved by their teammates:

Mike White/Taylor Heineike/Gardner Minshew 2023!

Mike White/2nd-3rd Round Developmental Pick/Minshew

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’re at the point in the movie where Jason Vorhees is on the ground and appears to be dead. This is also the point in the movie where I’m screaming “Chop his head off! Take the head!” 

We need to stuff Wilson in a tube and shoot him into space.......oh wait!

I'm not sure what's so controversial about this. I'm not sure how much of this is PR as much as this is typical coach speak. 

Saleh made it clear 'all options are on the table'. Mike White started last week. Now he has another opportunity. Nobody is getting anointed as the starter for the season. That's not happening. Its week to week. Saleh knows his players. If the thought Mike White was the answer he would commit.  If White stinks, Saleh will re-evaluate. He has realized he does not have a QB room he can rely on. I assume he knew this all along but did not get the green light from JD to pull Zach after committing to him at the start of the season. After the NE game, that changed. 

If Zach looks great in practice and Mike White strings together two bad games, we may see Zach start against the Lions. Or even Flacco. It wouldn't shock me. Whatever it takes to win.

• Post of the Week 2

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So if Mike White throws a late pick to lose 30-24 to the Vikings in Minnesota, starting Zach Wilson and his league-worst statistical profile is back on the table? Or does Mike White have to produce Mahomes numbers every week in order to hold off the league’s worst quarterback?

Amen Tom.  Amen.  He is ranked 35 out of 32 QBs this year... that means 2 backups were better.  But sure, Mike White needs to keep that bull in the pen.  Jesus.

• Post of the Week 1

He's not really saying anything here. He's saying they'll evaluate week to week which allows them to do anything and avoid discussing the future. That's important when you have a backup play one great game and a lot of people are calling for him to be crowned the starter for the rest of the year. If White tanks the next couple games, it won't help to have to walk back anointing White.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Obviously some people don't understand the concept of "coach speak".  Nuanced thinking has

gone the way of the unicorn

Yep.  When Zach demonstrates that he can outplay Mike White we will roll with him.  Until then, Zach is on the bench.  Talking heads just need something to yap about.  Don’t sweat it coaches see what we see and more.   

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, doitny said:

we might not be able to sign White. some QB starved team will throw him a nice amount of money to make him their starter. or he can come back here and lose in TC to Zach in some phony competition.

With Saleh's comments about "rolling with ZW when he's ready" (whatever he said) I get the feeling they're going to let MW hit FA and he'll end up elsewhere next season.

Depressing to hear but that's where I think this is headed.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I think Ro dry has learned a LOT about just handing the QB position to someone. He is inviting Mike White to change his plans. Simple as that.

I mean, he also said benching Zach was a non-consideration. What they say to the media is usually about planting seeds of motivation. Not transparency.

If this is an issue, stop being naive.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

If Zack Wilson plays again this year Woody should fire. Saleh

It aint Saleh.  It is JD.  He is the one that was forcing Dennis The Menace on Saleh.  It looks very much like Saleh went to Woody in order to break the deadlock.  The press meeting that was 2 hours late was a result of JD and Selah waiting for Woody to get there.  The locker room was in near revolt and Saleh could not over rule JD without Woody.  And, if the owner shows up to a meeting, you *know* he is the one that gets the last word.

JD drew all aces in this last draft, but he totally messed up with Becton and ZW picks and he does not want to admit and move on.

Saleh is not to blame for Dennis The Menace.  It was JD.  Saleh went to bat and called in Woody

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2