Richard Sherman is all-in on Jets’ Mike White: ‘Franchise quarterback’

I mean, whatever. Sherman is a talking head. They're all going ballistic with Takes at this point.

Bottom line is that Mike White has started 4 games as Jets QB.  He was awful in one of them and didn't finish another.  The other two were sparklers.

That's not nearly enough of a sample size to anoint anyone.  For now, the signs are positive enough to keep rolling with him, and to be optimistic that maybe the Jets have fallen ass backwards into a competent QB for once.  I'm not going to sit here and declare that MW is Tony Romo.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Richrad Sherman like many of the national media jumping on the bandwagon had no idea who mike white was until they ran around googling him a day ago.

The next couple of games vs tough teams will tell the mike white story, not a game over the tanking bumbling bears.

most people probably just remember the one great game last year.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BloodGreen said:

Chicago is actually ranked near the top in pass defensive.

They’re #1 in opponent pass attempts allowed, because their run defense sucks. They’re going to allow less pass yards when all you have to do is run the ball.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Hex said:

Mike White is good at destroying bad defenses. He’s definitely much better than Zach, but I would wait to see how he does against mediocre and good defenses in the next 2 weeks before calling him an FQB.

This is where we get in trouble though.  I get that the  nfl is a week to week league.   But NY with this media and fan base take it to such a ridiculous level.  If you really think about the fact that a second year 23 year old is 5-2 and we yanked him and now are judging white week to week, it’s pretty absurd.

So if white plays poorly against the Bills, is it conformed he’s not the future? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This is where we get in trouble though.  I get that the  nfl is a week to week league.   But NY with this media and fan base take it to such a ridiculous level.  If you really think about the fact that a second year 23 year old is 5-2 and we yanked him and now are judging white week to week, it’s pretty absurd.

So if white plays poorly against the Bills, is it conformed he’s not the future? 

I think they look at the film and see if his footwork is a mess, missing wide open wr, throwing stupid picks, and giving team no chance to win then they probably make a change.   Otherwise, no.  white is the guy for the rest of the season.   

footnote - I didn’t think saleh had the balls to bench Wilson so I’m probably wrong. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Wilson was a bottom feeder QB for 20 games. His 5-2 record was mostly due to Breece Hall and a dominant defense.

I’m not saying White should be yanked if he sucks against the Bills, but saying he’s an FQB after a good game against a bottom-5 defense is an overreaction. I am willing to call White an FQB when he proves he can play well against good defenses as well as bad defenses. When he can carry the team if needed. If he can’t do that then he’s a solid backup or maybe a good journeyman starter. 
We’ll see how he plays in the coming weeks.

18 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

We have a 20 game sample size of Zach Wilson throwing balls into the ground and running around in circles....my opinion that Zach Wilson is terrible isn't a knee jerk reaction.....sorry I was never impressed with Wilsons 150 yard lit game management.  And yes if White goes out there and misses wide open recievers by 25 feet he's not the future.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yes, it was one game.  Yes, it was one game against a bad team.  But it was still the best game any NFL QB had had against that bad team this season:

• Passer rating 149.3, highest allowed by Bears this year.
  • 315 Yards.  Most allowed by Bears this season
  • 78.6% completions.  Highest completion percent Bears allowed this season
  • 3 TDs.  Tied with Tua for most TDs allowed in a game this year
  • 11.3 yards per attempt.  Highest allowed by Bears this season
  • 14.3 yards per completion.  2nd only to Tua at 14.4.

It was only one game.  And it won't mean much if he does not follow it up with strong games against Minnesota and Buffalo.  But people talk like what he did, any other QB could have done because it was the Bears.  Fact is, no other QB did what he did against the Bears this year.

I don't know if he is the long term answer, nor do I have any idea how he will look the next two weeks, but I am really excited to find out.

thats the few Zach fans that are mad cause they thought it could be a "get right" game for Zach. but no way Zach gets anywhere near those numbers. there are many plays where White was surrounded or had a guy in his face and he stood tall and made a play. Zach would have been long gone running for the hills. 

but Zach didnt need to have this kind of game. 101 passer rate, 250 yds, 60 % comp, 1-2 TDs that would have been one of Zachs best games ever. the bar is very low for him. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You can't ignore the performances against the Bengals last year and our last game against the Bears. It's too impressive to just dismiss.

He's clearly better than Zach Wilson at this point. He makes the Jets a better team. The Jets should and will evaluate the rest of this year to see if he can be their long term answer at QB. 

And if he doesn't end up the starter here, he'd be one hell of a backup QB.  Though I'm sure some team will offer him QB1 money this offseason so we're going to have to "sh-t or get off the pot" as they say.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yes, it was one game.  Yes, it was one game against a bad team.  But it was still the best game any NFL QB had had against that bad team this season:

• Passer rating 149.3, highest allowed by Bears this year.
  • 315 Yards.  Most allowed by Bears this season
  • 78.6% completions.  Highest completion percent Bears allowed this season
  • 3 TDs.  Tied with Tua for most TDs allowed in a game this year
  • 11.3 yards per attempt.  Highest allowed by Bears this season
  • 14.3 yards per completion.  2nd only to Tua at 14.4.

It was only one game.  And it won't mean much if he does not follow it up with strong games against Minnesota and Buffalo.  But people talk like what he did, any other QB could have done because it was the Bears.  Fact is, no other QB did what he did against the Bears this year.

I don't know if he is the long term answer, nor do I have any idea how he will look the next two weeks, but I am really excited to find out.

Might be worth adding that he was throwing the ball, and the receivers catching it, in a torrential downpour.  Guy played awesome.  Actually looked a bit like Pennington in how he ran things.  The question will be when teams get the tape and can game plan for him like when the league realized Chad couldn't throw the ball worth a damn outside the hash marks because of a weak shoulder.  I am cautiously optimistic but will reserve judgement over the next 6 games of which he will surely be the starter.    

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

serious question, what does tua do they white doesn’t?

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Skill set wise, nothing. White even has a better arm. But Tua has proving he can do over an extended period. 

Agreed but take Hill off that team and it’s a different story. 

28 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Starting to see some all-22 breakdowns.

Here’s a perfect example of how quick Mike White gets through his progression. The Bears defender never gets to him because the ball is out already. This is the type of play where Zach would have rolled out, thrown it away and everyone would have said but the OL sucks.

Zach would of took off backwards 10 yards and heaved it barely out of bounds