Richard Sherman is all-in on Jets’ Mike White: ‘Franchise quarterback’

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Starting to see some all-22 breakdowns.

Here’s a perfect example of how quick Mike White gets through his progression. The Bears defender never gets to him because the ball is out already. This is the type of play where Zach would have rolled out, thrown it away and everyone would have said but the OL sucks.

omg did you see the OL let him get pressured. they suck. LOL

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maxman said:

Sherman is friendly with this coaching staff. He definitely knew who Mike White was.

After the Bengals win last season Mike White was the 5th most searched thing on google for a few days. Everybody knew who Mike White was last season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/28/richard-sherman-all-in-on-jets-mike-white-franchise-qb/

“If we just took everything away and swapped the stories of Zach Wilson and Mike White, that it was just Mike White drafted No. 2 and he was playing this well and his teammates were saying this about him, you’d be like ‘hey, they made the right pick. They’ve got a franchise” guy,” Sherman said. “But since he was a fifth-round pick, since he’s an unheralded guy, you’re not talking about ‘Oh, he’s a franchise quarterback.”

“I’m a production guy, Mike White has production,” Sherman said. “And then you hear about how his teammates talk about him, they talk about his work ethic, you hear about how happy they are for him and how much fun they’re having. That’s when you know you’ve got a special guy.”

Based on a few games? Come on!! 

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Simms ripping Garret Wilson for Zach Wilson today ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️????

Start at 11:20

Simms makes good points except he ignores what went on during the bye that GW eluded to and was probably very obvious to the entire team and coaching staff.   I get the feeling that Zach after a good game against the Bills went into the bye with a big puffed up chest and mailed it in during practice before he shat himself in the NE game.  About as big a regular season game this team has had in years.  This is about way more than a bad game against NE.  This team was primed to be in first place and Zach mailed in the practice and shat himself.   Everything he did in the Bills game went out the window as if it never happened.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Richrad Sherman like many of the national media jumping on the bandwagon had no idea who mike white was until they ran around googling him a day ago.

The next couple of games vs tough teams will tell the mike white story, not a game over the tanking bumbling bears.

So only a couple games will tell the Mike White story, yet the awful Zach Wilson story gets 2+ seasons.  Also Wilson played like trash again TWO tanking, bumbling teams last year and the Bengals had a good defense last year.

That is Sherman's point and the problem with popularity contests in this day and age.  It's a real shame.

6 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

I mean, whatever. Sherman is a talking head. They're all going ballistic with Takes at this point.

Bottom line is that Mike White has started 4 games as Jets QB.  He was awful in one of them and didn't finish another.  The other two were sparklers.

That's not nearly enough of a sample size to anoint anyone.  For now, the signs are positive enough to keep rolling with him, and to be optimistic that maybe the Jets have fallen ass backwards into a competent QB for once.  I'm not going to sit here and declare that MW is Tony Romo.

He needs more than 4 starts.  The problem with this league, and media in general, is that unless Mike White repeats the Bears game for the next 2 or 3 games, he most likely will not be able to show whether he is Tony Romo or not.  Maybe someone else throws him a contract next year if he plays well, but I don't care about other teams.  It's this obsession with finding your own Mahomes that teams now latch onto busts and refuse to let go.  I really do fear that Saleh and JD have brainwashed themselves with Zach's "immeasurables" so much that they will ignore Mike White.  I pray they don't, but I can't shake the feeling they are going to do what the Eagles did to Nick Foles, only Jalen Hurts won't be there to save them from their mistake (except even this analogy is flawed because Carson Wentz was 5x the QB Zach will most likely ever be.)

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/28/richard-sherman-all-in-on-jets-mike-white-franchise-qb/

“If we just took everything away and swapped the stories of Zach Wilson and Mike White, that it was just Mike White drafted No. 2 and he was playing this well and his teammates were saying this about him, you’d be like ‘hey, they made the right pick. They’ve got a franchise” guy,” Sherman said. “But since he was a fifth-round pick, since he’s an unheralded guy, you’re not talking about ‘Oh, he’s a franchise quarterback.”

“I’m a production guy, Mike White has production,” Sherman said. “And then you hear about how his teammates talk about him, they talk about his work ethic, you hear about how happy they are for him and how much fun they’re having. That’s when you know you’ve got a special guy.”

He really isn't wrong. If Zach threw for 3 TDs and 300+ yards, then we'd all be fawning over him.

Answer honestly; why can't Mike White be our franchise QB? 

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Well, if they’d given White a chance earlier instead of Flacco, we would all be a bit closer to the truth. That was a monumentally bad decision. 

That was a calculated decision, you can easily remove Old man Flacco no matter what happened, but if Mike White played like he did last week for the first 3 weeks they had an issue.  They also probably didn’t think he could play that way again.

7 hours ago, Hex said:

Mike White is good at destroying bad defenses. He’s definitely much better than Zach, but I would wait to see how he does against mediocre and good defenses in the next 2 weeks before calling him an FQB.

Were you in a coma when he torched the Bengals?

54 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

So only a couple games will tell the Mike White story, yet the awful Zach Wilson story gets 2+ seasons.  Also Wilson played like trash again TWO tanking, bumbling teams last year and the Bengals had a good defense last year.

That is Sherman's point and the problem with popularity contests in this day and age.  It's a real shame.

Richard Sherman also called White a 'franchise QB'. He's doing the same thing, trying to tell the Mike White story with a couple games. No, Mike White is not a franchise QB, not until he proves it at least. If he puts up similar numbers or even a little worse numbers against different types of defense with varying levels of difficulty consistently (with the occasional but rare bad game being totally fine), then he is probably an FQB. Not after 4 games played, where 2 were amazing and 2 were not so great.

Mike White seems to be a player that thrives when his supporting cast is good, and can put together good games even when they aren't. That's a sign of the makings of an FQB, but so far I don't think he has proven himself simply due to the lack of a sample size. I'm not going to write him off or say if he has a terrible game he sucks, but I'm also not going to anoint him an FQB after a good game.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Were you in a coma when he torched the Bengals?

Were you in a coma when he threw an INT on a third of his passes against the Bills? 

Bengals also got completely destroyed by a Baker Mayfield-led Browns team 41-16 the very next week. 

What are you arguing anyways? I just said I'm going to wait before I anoint him an FQB 

11 minutes ago, Hex said:

Were you in a coma when he threw an INT on a third of his passes against the Bills? 

Bengals also got completely destroyed by a Baker Mayfield-led Browns team 41-16 the very next week. 

What are you arguing anyways? I just said I'm going to wait before I anoint him an FQB 

So the Bengals were ranked #17 in defense last year. Fits what you are asking for perfect… but they don’t count because it exposes a flaw in your logic?

6 minutes ago, ECURB said:

So the Bengals were ranked #17 in defense last year. Fits what you are asking for perfect… but they don’t count because it exposes a flaw in your logic?

What do you think I'm asking for? A good game? No, he's already had 2 of those. He's also had an awful game, one that you seem to be ignoring because it exposes a flaw in your logic. I'm asking for consistency my friend. That requires time. I'm not writing him off, I'm cautioning crowning him anything until he proves he is legitimate. I remember when people crowned Wilson to be the FQB after throwing for almost 300 yards and 2 TDs against the Titans, who finished the season as the #6 defense. Mike White has played 4 games that he was in for more than 1 half of.  In 2 of them he wowed people. In the other 2? 2 TDs and 6 INTs. 

15 minutes ago, Hex said:

Richard Sherman also called White a 'franchise QB'. He's doing the same thing, trying to tell the Mike White story with a couple games. No, Mike White is not a franchise QB, not until he proves it at least. If he puts up similar numbers or even a little worse numbers against different types of defense with varying levels of difficulty consistently (with the occasional but rare bad game being totally fine), then he is probably an FQB. Not after 4 games played, where 2 were amazing and 2 were not so great.

Mike White seems to be a player that thrives when his supporting cast is good, and can put together good games even when they aren't. That's a sign of the makings of an FQB, but so far I don't think he has proven himself simply due to the lack of a sample size. I'm not going to write him off or say if he has a terrible game he sucks, but I'm also not going to anoint him an FQB after a good game.

Well yes, I think Sherman was just flying off the handle when he said that.  I don't think anyone can reasonably call any QB a franchise QB after 4 games.  I think you need at least 2 seasons to earn that.  We've seen countless fluke seasons before (i.e. Wentz.)

I don't think MW is a FQB.  The Sherman point I was reiterating was that MW, even though he has already way out-produced Zach, will have to succeed about 200% more than what Zach would do in order to become "the guy".  MW's playing for a HC who's literally (at least from what he's said to the media) holding the rug he's standing on while wearing a Zach Wilson foam finger, ready to pull it out from under MW at a moment's notice.  Contrary to Sherman's point, potential is not bad.  Potential is good.  However, potential means a lot more prior to taking snaps in the NFL.  You can draft based on potential, hoping the transition to the NFL will be successful, but once it's clear that the transition was NOT successful, potential means nothing.  

I'm pretty bothered by how Saleh has handled MW.  I'm tired of Zach Wilson getting the baby treatment.  There is no reason Saleh needs to be protecting him every time he opens his mouth.  It's ridiculous.  Whether Zach returns as the starter or not should be up to Zach and Zach only.  Saleh should be focusing on getting his team into the playoffs.  If Zach shows in practice that he's learned and is outperforming MW (assuming MW struggles in games), then fine.  But Saleh needs to zip it about rolling with Zach "when he's good", because if I was MW or anyone else in that locker room I'd be a little ticked off.

• Upvote 1