Could Aaron Rodgers be available this off-season

Rhg1084

49 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't think the Packers trade him without a replacement in the mix.  Who wants to go to a team that looks that bad with a good QB? 

If the Packers trade him away, they will want a king's ransom. JD is not a GM to overpay. Woody probably still feels the sting of Favre, too.

IMO there's not a trade that makes sense for both sides. Rodgers hasn't looked anywhere close to as good as what the Packers will want in a deal. He doesn't look like he wants to play in GB--but maybe his heart isn't in football beyond a paycheck. What happens if JD pays to bring him in and then he has a temper tantrum and plays poorly in NY, too? There's a lot of risk involved at a lot of cost for a player that might retire after a year or walk away from the Jets after his contract ends in two years. This is a young team that needs a QB for the next five or more years. Bringing in Rodgers means the team needs to think about his replacement almost immediately, unless the plan is to sit White and/or Wilson behind him and hope he elevates them. 

IMO he's a better fit for the 49ers who can trade Garoppolo and evaluate Lance behind Rodgers. The value on both sides is more equal for the teams because SF can unload an expensive but unwanted player that fills GB's need for a reasonably competitive QB.  

after the disaster unfolding in Denver, I think teams are going to be very hesitant on trading for aging vets

3 hours ago, Gramsci said:

He is throwing to the worst receiving corps in the league. He is the current MVP. 

Would love to see him play for us.

You would love paying a crap ton of money to a 40 year old QB? You have your opinion I guess

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Trading for Aaron Rodgers this offseason would be worse than when we signed Brett Favre. I’m a no. 

Agree on part I.  Don’t want A-Rod.

Disagree 100% on part II.

Team was 8-3 and rolling under Mangini when Favre tore up his shoulder.  How could that be construed as a bad thing?

Nobody could have predicted an ironman like Favre would suffer a debilitating injury.

The mistake was Rex and Tannenbaum drafting Sancho and cutting Favre loose

Favre was noncommittal on playing like he always was every offseason.

But the moment Sancho was drafted, Favre requested his release and the Jets obliged

The Jets owned his rights.  They could have sat Sancho for a year or at a bare minimum, dealt Favre for some draft capital 

Favre went on to have a career year in Minnesota 

39 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I don’t know if you’re serious man, I’m no X’s and O’s guy but I think Aaron Rodgers is better than Joe Namath at this point. Plus I’d worry about Namaths knees. 

Sure Namath would be cheaper but can we really trust him to see the field and react the same way? Would you get a full season out of him?

Rodgers play has degraded a little but how much is that a function of the surrounding cast?

It’s tough but I’d go Rodgers. I’m gonna go shave my cousins cat now so I may not see your reply until later.

I can't imagine he was serious.  You're a NYer right? We can detect sarcasm from a mile away. I think you missed it here.

17 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't think the Packers trade him without a replacement in the mix.  Who wants to go to a team that looks that bad with a good QB? 

If the Packers trade him away, they will want a king's ransom. JD is not a GM to overpay. Woody probably still feels the sting of Favre, too.

IMO there's not a trade that makes sense for both sides. Rodgers hasn't looked anywhere close to as good as what the Packers will want in a deal. He doesn't look like he wants to play in GB--but maybe his heart isn't in football beyond a paycheck. What happens if JD pays to bring him in and then he has a temper tantrum and plays poorly in NY, too? There's a lot of risk involved at a lot of cost for a player that might retire after a year or walk away from the Jets after his contract ends in two years. This is a young team that needs a QB for the next five or more years. Bringing in Rodgers means the team needs to think about his replacement almost immediately, unless the plan is to sit White and/or Wilson behind him and hope he elevates them. 

IMO he's a better fit for the 49ers who can trade Garoppolo and evaluate Lance behind Rodgers. The value on both sides is more equal for the teams because SF can unload an expensive but unwanted player that fills GB's need for a reasonably competitive QB.  

A big part why Rodgers getting traded is being discussed more right now is that Jordan Love went 6/9 for 113 and a TD against the Eagles after Rodgers got hurt.

The general premise is that they’d trade him if they feel like it’s time to go to Love as they hit a little reset because the team is so bad.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You got my home videos when I was a kid???

I think all of us have an experience like this. My dad had the great idea that I should learn to ride a bike on the front lawn so I fall on grass. He gave me a push and I started riding until my front tire hit a sprinkler head and I went flying over the handle bars. But I did land on grass. 

• Haha 1

Personality/rivalry/hatred stuff aside....those of you advocating for bringing in guys like Brady and Rodgers realize they aren't anything close to the same guys they were and you probably can't win with them any longer, right?

Mike White is a superior option and it isn't a joke to suggest that.  Father Time gets all of us, eventually.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

If we trade for a big name then we will need to give up significant draft stock. Whether a by trade or by FA, we will be saddled with a large salary. It may be worth it for some QB's, but I would not do this for an older player. Here are my thoughts of some the QB's being talked about in this thread:

Rodgers- As others have pointed out, Rodgers is aging and declining, not to mention a douche. I have visions of a trade for him becoming Russell WIlson to Denver part deux. Count me out on this one.

Brady- NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS! I feel like this would be selling our soul to the devil. I am not normally against bringing in a hated player who will make us a better, but for this arrogant AH I will make the exception. He has loudly and frequently voiced his disdain for the Jets. He is an older player and while there haven't been many signs of him declining, he could fall off the cliff at any time. Even if we were guaranteed a SB win, I feel like this would put an asterisk next to that SB. JMO...

Jones- IMO, the Giants will resign him. I am meh about him. I think he would be OK, but I believe we can do better.

Sam Darnold- That ship has sailed. We can't. We just can't. And I'm not sure he would. There were nothing but broken promises during his time with the Jets. I realize the front office and coaching staff has changed, but is that enough to get the bad taste out of his (and our) mouths? Furthermore, it would be a PR disaster. The media would be insufferable! Besides, IMO, he has been a less than average player.

Minshew- IDK, I feel like he could turn out to be really good or really bad. (Talk about me waffling!) If we are looking to have a QB competion with Zack and another QB, he might be a good choice at a reasonable price. JD knows the people in Philly, so this might be the low budget option.

Garoppolo- He would be a perfect fit, and at 31, is in his prime. He knows the offense and he knows Salah and others on the coaching staff. On the negative side, he has missed a number of games. We would need to make sure he is protected. (Can we please have a healthy O-line next year?) I am guessing if he leaves SF, the Jets would be an attractive destination . He is my #1 choice. 

Carr- Also 31 and in his prime. He is consistant and reliable. In almost 9 years he has only missed 2 games. One could make an argument that this makes him a better choice than Jimmy G. While he has been less than spectacular with his number of wins, his personal statistics are pretty darn good. With the right team around him (can you say Jets?), I believe the wins would follow. 

Bottom line for me...

ALL IN: Garoppolo or Carr.

SO-SO: Jones and Minshew.

NO WAY: Rodgers, Brady and Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

No way the JETS give up on ZW yet. Still will wait until the end of 2023 to see if the lightbulb will turn on. If he plays next year and shows he has grown out of his bad habits, then he might be the answer. If not, then he should be a goner after 2023. but like I've said multiple times... You keep drafting a QB every year until one of them sticks. I'm not a big fan of trading and giving up picks.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

No way the JETS give up on ZW yet. Still will wait until the end of 2023 to see if the lightbulb will turn on. If he plays next year and shows he has grown out of his bad habits, then he might be the answer. If not, then he should be a goner after 2023. but like I've said multiple times... You keep drafting a QB every year until one of them sticks. I'm not a big fan of trading and giving up picks.

I’m with you 100% on the drafting part but shoot Zach into the sun at this point 

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

I’m with you 100% on the drafting part but shoot Zach into the sun at this point 

I'm sure most would agree, and I am coming around and see signs that he just might not get it. However that said, I just don't see the JETS getting rid of him until after 2023 if they determine the light will never come on for him. My guess is that they probably aren't going to mess with the coaching staff especially if we make the playoffs... So unless ZW reaches out to say a Kurt Warner, or Steve Young for strong advise and game help, he will effectively throw himself out of the league by not making himself better. That's his only hope at this point, unless he does a Geno, and lands in a spot where he picks up something from a different coaching staff that somehow turns on the lightbulb.

The best option is right under the Jets’ noses.

Offer MFW a multi-year extension for 12M per, not fully gtd of course.  

I think he’d take it.  If he’s the answer you have your franchise QB for dirt cheap.

If he isn’t, you at least have a solid starter for ‘23 at a reasonable cost.

They don’t have to decide now.  They can wait to see how he does these next few games.

But there is a risk he continues to go gangbusters and decides to take it all the way to FA, at which point the price would only go up.

Unless the Jets roll with Zach Wilson and a draft pick or other bargain basement QB, the Jets need to spend real money on a QB next year in order to continue the momentum and be competitive.  I would argue that ZW is hopeless, or at least can't be relied upon, so JD basically blew the Jets opportunity to capitalize on a rookie QB contract.  ZW is effectively an overpaid backup, which I think he has to be.  

So some options are:

• Aaron Rodgers, who could be cheap, but the Packers would not be able to function given the enormous cap hit.   He cost massive trade compensation for a great player who may not be over the hill.  Let's be honest-you can fight Father Time, but you can't win.    I vote no to this.,
  • Jimmy G will cost real money.   Whether he trades for a discount given his "limitations," despite his success, is another story.  This should be a real option for the Jets as we keep our draft picks.  
  • David Carr has an expensive contract and would cost draft capital.  Pass.
  • Tom Brady is a FA and could theoretically sign a cheap deal for personal reasons.  Interesting.  
  • Mike White-if he looks good the rest of the season and could be signed for $20mm or so for a few years, I would do that.  Personally, I would rather keep White.  We call also franchise White for $29mm, a la Cousins.  
  • Minshew, etc.  Probably much cheaper.  

But all of these options will make it harder to keep some other players we may have wanted, or to extend Quinnen if it costs real money.

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Agree on part I.  Don’t want A-Rod.

Disagree 100% on part II.

Team was 8-3 and rolling under Mangini when Favre tore up his shoulder.  How could that be construed as a bad thing?

Nobody could have predicted an ironman like Favre would suffer a debilitating injury.

The mistake was Rex and Tannenbaum drafting Sancho and cutting Favre loose

Favre was noncommittal on playing like he always was every offseason.

But the moment Sancho was drafted, Favre requested his release and the Jets obliged

The Jets owned his rights.  They could have sat Sancho for a year or at a bare minimum, dealt Favre for some draft capital 

Favre went on to have a career year in Minnesota 

Favre requested his release months before Sanchez was drafted. He always intended on using the Jets as a stepping stone to get to the Vikings so he get his payback vs GB. He never really wanted to be here.  Any fool could see his plan.  He was never noncommittal about returning after 2008.   He wanted out the day the season ended when he lost to the player he replaced - Pennington's Dolphins.  He told the Jets he was not coming back in January 2009 and "retired" in February. The Jets had no choice but to look for a new QB.  

NFW on the NFL version of the Sunshine Boys - Rodgers and Brady.  They are old, fading, and the two biggest assholes in the NFL.  Besides costing a fortune, they are, at best, one year stop gaps that are not fits with a young team on the upswing.  

If the Jets brought either in, I would seriously consider taking a pause from following the team for 2023.  I cannot root for Brady.  I despise him and everything about him.  And he will not win here just like he isn't winning in Tampa this year. He's done.  

Same with Rodgers, who I find just slightly less odious than Brady, and only because he's been in GB and not NE (and doesn't cheat). But the past three season have revealed that he is a complete AH as well.  He is also a shell of his former self and will not win here either, just like he isn't winning in GB.

The solution will become apparent over the next few weeks.  The best option may be White.  If White falters,  Garappolo would be the top free agent option followed by Carr.  

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I don’t know if you’re serious man, I’m no X’s and O’s guy but I think Aaron Rodgers is better than Joe Namath at this point. Plus I’d worry about Namaths knees. 

Sure Namath would be cheaper but can we really trust him to see the field and react the same way? Would you get a full season out of him?

Rodgers play has degraded a little but how much is that a function of the surrounding cast?

It’s tough but I’d go Rodgers. I’m gonna go shave my cousins cat now so I may not see your reply until later.

well at least with Joe he can never be called a MILF hunter.  With him it is always robbing the cradle.  I wouldn't worry about Joe's knees either he is not afraid of few overdoses of cortisone like the rest of these wimps.

Give Mr Bigglesworth my sympathies.

• Haha 1