Willets Point, Queens

Two things:

First, have the Jets recouped their investment? The stadium is owned by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority on paper. However, the New York Giants and New York Jets jointly built the stadium using private funds, and operate it through the MetLife Stadium Company, a 50/50 joint venture between the two teams. So, the Jets have sunk money in Met life, which opened in April 2010. Have they gotten enough return on the investment to walk away?

Second, how do they walk away? The lease for the stadium is for 25 years, with options to extend it that could eventually reach 97 years. After the 15th year of the lease, every five years, one of the two teams may opt out of the lease after giving the state 12 months notice. However, if one team leaves for a new stadium, the other team would have to remain for the remainder of the lease. This clause presumably allows the Jets to eventually decide that they want to play in their own stadium and leave if they can find a way to finance it, although the high cost of the stadium - unless paid for by the State of NY -  and relocation of team facilities to Florham Park, New Jersey may complicate this. . It is unknown if the lease started upon construction in 2007 or upon the stadium's opening in April 2010.  If it's 2007 than they missed the 15 year, 12 months notice, but it (the 12 month notice) rolls around again in 4 short years. If the lease started in 2010, the 15 year 12 month notice is due in 2024. So, timing wise a new stadium seems do-able.   

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

why come on?   hasn't the value gone up 9x or so since 2000? 

it's been a home run investment.

Because Woody started life as a billionaire. Framing it as some sort of shrewd investment is silly. He was next on a list. I think a more accurate reflection of Woodys business acumen would be the Jets record since he took over. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Two things:

First, have the Jets recouped their investment? The stadium is owned by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority on paper. However, the New York Giants and New York Jets jointly built the stadium using private funds, and operate it through the MetLife Stadium Company, a 50/50 joint venture between the two teams. So, the Jets have sunk money in Met life, which opened in April 2010. Have they gotten enough return on the investment to walk away?

MetLife cost $1.6 billion to build. The Jets & Giants are most definitely servicing that debt for awhile.

I believe the 2 teams and the Stadium (tax payers) each are obligated to kick in about $20m a year for 25 years.

The Old Giants Stadium still had $110 million in debt when it was demolished. 

• Upvote 1

MetLife is far and away the worst stadium I’ve ever been in, and I’m saying this as a guy who used to go to Shea a lot as a kid. It’s simply a miserable place to drive to, spend money in, and watch a game imo. That said, @Maxman is right. Woody is invested and making his money, so he’s not gonna upset the golden goose. The only way the Jets move to Queens is if Steve Cohen buys the team.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets belong out there. Queens would be perfect. They don't have an identity in NJ. It's the Giants turf. 

Build a 60,000 seat stadium out there that blows MetLife out of the water and develop a better identity as a franchise. 

Jets don't have an identity in NJ and the Giants don't have one anymore either. MetLife is a cold, characterless stadium. You would have no idea who played at MetLife Stadium if there weren't people walking around with Jets/Giants gear.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

they are always begging to get rid of seats.  it's bad business in my opinion. 

have 70k seats but good demand.

10 games x 10k less seats = 100k less tickets per year.  say $50 per seat net revenues (probably less since these would be the worst seats) - $5MM per year.  

The Jets are winning and yet they still can't sell out the crappy seats.

They would be begging no differently

They’re in the top 5 in attendance and just as high on % of seats sold.  They’re pretty much sold out by game 1.   If they have to advertise for sales and it works, in a time where the team has sucked etc? 

• Upvote 1

Curious, other than making it closer to a different group of fans what’s the difference NJ or some other site in NY/NJ.  As I said besides the fact some want it close to home to cut back the commute and don’t care about NJ fans commute?  

It’s a whole different state…

This is all great back and forth but simply put woody is not leaving nj.

metlife cost 1.6 billion 12 years ago.

the queens stadium will cost 3 billion or more?

who is paying for it?

and if part of the finance is psl’s the bloodbath that occurred 12 years ago at MetLife will be many times worse

• Upvote 2

A domed (retractable) stadium that could draw many other events including, concerts, basketball, soccer, monster trucks, etc etc, it will never happen. Go big or go home. 

P.S. the Jets have a top notch training facility and headquarters in Florum Park so it's a really really long shot. 

I live on Long Island so I'm all for it. I refuse to spend 4 to 6 hours round trip drive time, gas, tolls and parking fees going to that swamp in NJ

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Moving the team to Queens at this point is a great way to:

1. Have people stop paying what is left on their PSL balance

2. Not sell another PSL

3. Lose a bunch of corporate sponsorship stadium $ with attendance being down

Better idea, stay out of the way and let Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh do what they are already doing. Fixing this franchise and selling out the larger stadium that you already paid for.

They aren't moving.

Bingo....they aren't going anywhere. 

Some local State Senator hack ran his mouth. That's all this story is. Not a chance they move.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

MetLife is far and away the worst stadium I’ve ever been in, and I’m saying this as a guy who used to go to Shea a lot as a kid. It’s simply a miserable place to drive to, spend money in, and watch a game imo. That said, @Maxman is right. Woody is invested and making his money, so he’s not gonna upset the golden goose. The only way the Jets move to Queens is if Steve Cohen buys the team.

Yes, because the crack whores and seedy auto shops of Willets Point Queens is REALLY where I want to go spend my Sunday

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What if the taxpayers fund it like they’re doing with the Bills?

No one has the appetite for that anymore.

I just don't see the Jets ever walking away from FP. The investment in and value of that facility is extraordinary and impossible to replicate on the other side of the Hudson at this point. 

Unfortunately the next stadium they build will also be in the Meadowlands. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

No one has the appetite for that anymore.

I just don't see the Jets ever walking away from FP. The investment in and value of that facility is extraordinary and impossible to replicate on the other side of the Hudson at this point. 

Unfortunately the next stadium they build will also be in the Meadowlands. 

I was halfway kidding. Considering the deal the Bills got (and the under the table shenanigans) there’s zero chance the Jets get back to NYS. They will always be in Jersey.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I was halfway kidding. Considering the deal the Bills got (and the under the table shenanigans) there’s zero chance the Jets get back to NYS. They will always be in Jersey.

Yeah, people in Western NY have no problem spending public money mostly generated down state for a new Bills Stadium.  What a boondoggle.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So?  
Jealous?  Who cares people inherit money, sometimes big money.  That’s the world we live in

Nah not jealous.  Just still pissed that our (dim witted) owner got played like a violin by Charles Dolan and the corrupt state senators and blew a once in a lifetime opportunity to have an awesome building at the center of one of the greatest cities in the world.  Can you blame me?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Curious, other than making it closer to a different group of fans what’s the difference NJ or some other site in NY/NJ.  As I said besides the fact some want it close to home to cut back the commute and don’t care about NJ fans commute?  

NY team.  NY blood runs through me.  Should play in NY.  Nothing practical or logical behind my want.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1