Willets Point, Queens

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Woody lives in NJ. Pretty sure or safe bet Chris does, too. West side of Manhattan is one thing, but they're not moving the team to Queens. 

This opportunity was there after the WSS fell through & he passed.

Bingo.  Plus they have a state of the art facility in Florham Park that they're not getting rid of.

The WSS would've been awesome, but that dream died 2 decades ago.  Get over it.

Moving the team to the other side of the Hudson River would be an absolute traffic nightmare.  Sidenote: I don't think a lot of fans realize how good MetLife is in terms of traffic, with so many major highways flowing directly to the stadium.  Go to a game in Foxboro and then complain about the traffic.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Jets don't have an identity in NJ and the Giants don't have one anymore either. MetLife is a cold, characterless stadium. You would have no idea who played at MetLife Stadium if there weren't people walking around with Jets/Giants gear.

Yes, but rich people don't pay debt service on an asset they no longer use to buy into another almost certainly more expensive asset that has a whole new more expensive debt schedule. And as to debt service; MetLife was financed at a time of very low interest rates. That is not the case today. And building supplies have gone up astronomically. A brand new stadium in Queens might cost upwards of $3 billion. 

I HATE MetLife to the point I gave up tickets a few years in. Spare an occasional game since, the Jets are mostly a TV experience for me. It's an awful ugly place that looks like the people who built it had never been to an NFL game nor a concert. But the math of Johnson opting out and building a new Queens stadium  is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah PSLs should have some perks, even if it was two owners for two teams, would be nice if you got offered the concert tickets for those seats. Total rip off.

And going anywhere from Long Island isn't easy. It is a long island after all.

We were sold hints that you would get first crack at concert tickets. But it was explicitly not part of the PSL. Either way, that didn't happen. 

19 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Didn’t have time to see all of the responses but wouldn’t playing in NY make the tax situation better for players? More attractive to play for us? 

Maybe much, much worse -- I don't think the two states' marginal tax rates are that different, but wouldn't the extra NYC income tax apply on top of the state tax, seeing how they're playing within the 5 boroughs? If so it's another 4% for them (at least for the game checks; the bonus checks would be where the team's HQ is, I'd think, which would still be NJ). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

We were sold hints that you would get first crack at concert tickets. But it was explicitly not part of the PSL. Either way, that didn't happen. 

My experience as well but there is a poster on here (i simply don't remember who) who has experienced calling their rep and getting tickets in advance.

Like I said never my experience and if I remember correctly the conversation came up when they announced World cup was coming 

22 hours ago, Green Truth said:

This would be amazing, If they would put a retractable roof on it. It could be used all year round for big events. Won't happen, though Cohen would fight this, as it would tap into concert and other event revenue at Citi Field.

partner up with uncle stevie on the ball yard and let him share those event revs.
ps citi has limited potential for events with grass field and offseason weather.

35 minutes ago, jago said:

partner up with uncle stevie on the ball yard and let him share those event revs.
ps citi has limited potential for events with grass field and offseason weather.

Its a plan, but partnering/leasing with the Mets was the reason why The Jets left in the first place. The Mets treated the Jets like second class citizens at Shea.

5 hours ago, Trotter said:

So if the jets manage to get a home playoff game this year you won’t go because of the esthetics and layout of the stadium?

your call but I wouldn’t care if they played at bell stadium in orange nj, I would be there

Oh, I’m there. Sharing a stadium in NJ hurts our identity. 

Also, if this thread doesn’t get @SAR I out of retirement, then absolutely nothing would. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

the smart thing was buying the team.  remember at the time it was considered a dumb idea by many given the high price tag.

also, it is easy if you pick apple or amazon.  but what about the vast majority of those bubble stocks at the time...  not as good.

But Woody has added no value... that's my argument.  The value is from outside forces.  I don't think Woody is smart. Leaving the team to his brother is one example.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

But Woody has added no value... that's my argument.  The value is from outside forces.  I don't think Woody is smart. Leaving the team to his brother is one example.

Woody buying an NFL team was as shrewd as a Rockefeller getting invited into a hedge fund. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Green Truth said:

Its a plan, but partnering/leasing with the Mets was the reason why The Jets left in the first place. The Mets treated the Jets like second class citizens at Shea.

yeah but that was a lease. they wont share the fields and they can both tie in on multiple streams of revenue in the vicinity. 

34 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Nope. Manhattan, Bronx and many counties north are all east of the Hudson. Dude, no one west or north of the East River wants to go to the hell hole that is Queens

But the cross Bronx on a Sunday afternoon during winter is such a lovely drive.  And then I get to pay $59 in tolls as the icing on that cake!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Snyder and Blank bought their teams around the same timeframe. They’ve exploded in value as well. Every team has. Buying a NFL team isn’t an investment it’s an invite.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, Ghost said:

Oh, I’m there. Sharing a stadium in NJ hurts our identity. 

Also, if this thread doesn’t get @SAR I out of retirement, then absolutely nothing would. 

What identity? The jets and giants have shared a stadium for 40 years 

Building and buying land in NY is insanely expensive.  There’s a better chance of Zach Wilson winning the super bowl

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Snyder and Blank bought their teams around the same timeframe. They’ve exploded in value as well. Every team has. Buying a NFL team isn’t an investment it’s an invite.

Woody got lucky.  The jets are literally the only good business move Woody has made in his entire life

On 11/30/2022 at 4:35 PM, Green Truth said:

This would be amazing, If they would put a retractable roof on it. It could be used all year round for big events. Won't happen, though Cohen would fight this, as it would tap into concert and other event revenue at Citi Field.

How would Cohen fight this?  LOL