You’re the GM: finishing touches to make this a championship team?

33 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I not so sure about that. Jimmy G, Hurts, and Dak have great chances to win a Super Bowl this year with their defenses and strong running game.

Allen is beatable and has shown some chinks in the armor, Burrows line still sucks, Pat Maholmes has had way better teams than this years, Justin Herbert hasn't even been to the playoffs yet and his coach stinks, Brady has no line and a shell of a running game... 

Point being I think this year is a complete toss up for Super Bowl favorite. 

A toss up until 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr.  Then, we know what team wins.  The one with the "special" qb. 

Just now, varjet said:

Mosley is also tough to afford.  

Mosely is also tough to cut, based on his recent extension. If they make him a post June 1 cut they have to pay him 4.5 mil bonus and then cut him right after ward. 

Corey Davis and Carl Lawson are way more cuttable by comparison (300k dead cap on Lawson vs 15M saved and 600k dead cap on Davis vs 10.5 Mil saved)

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why is everyone making Nate Herbig a starting center? He's like a Dan Feeney level backup at best

if everyone is healthy next year Becton/Brown - Laken - McG (resign) - AVT - Max Mitchell/Becton 

there's not really room to pay Nate Herbig as a starter 

Herbig is a starter next season. Tomlinson will be cut. If they dont cut Tomlinson by the 5th day of the league year, he counts $17Mill + against the cap. Absurd

But I want to talk more about this year than next year, I think we can make a run at this

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Mike white will be unrestricted FA, could be interesting to keep him if he keeps playing like this. He and his agent could play hardball and try to get franchise tag, his contract would have to then at least equal the guaranteed money from franchise tag.

With WR cost nowadays I agree with WR every draft. Not sure I would do round one as OL is a big need.

Fant will not be resigned freeing up 9mil.

Not sure if Mims has shown enough to replace Corey Davis

Quninnen’s option has already been picked up. Maybe sign him to extension to free up cap space?

Need a safety, preferably via draft.

Team is deep enough that I would stay away from big FA signings and start playing the comp pick game like Baltimore.

Agree on all, except Fant is already excluded from the cap because he is an unrestricted free agent.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Interesting. I feel like Mosley has been vastly overrated and would be happy to spend good draft capital on his replacement. 

Hell, as much as I love Kwon (and I mean, serious love for him), and I've taken a liking to Quincy too - I don't see either of them being able to replicate this year's success next year or into the future. I think our LBs are due for an overhaul in the next two offseasons. 

Majorly disagree.

Mosley has always been solid and is a leader in that locker room. His contract was already reworked in a way that he'll most likely be here next season as well. 

Kwon has always been good, injuries have been the issue with him. Quincy was good last year and just as good this year and he's still young. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why is everyone making Nate Herbig a starting center? He's like a Dan Feeney level backup at best

if everyone is healthy next year Becton/Brown - Laken - McG (resign) - AVT - Max Mitchell/Becton 

So will this be the first year in about a decade where you will NOT be advocating the Jets taking an OL in the 1st?  :) 

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Herbig has played way better than a Feeney level backup lol. He's going to be a starter somewhere, hopefully with the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's a young & nasty overachiever who has performed well across (now) 3 NFL seasons.  We need a mean road grader who protects the QB well.  

In a perfect world where there wasn't a salary cap, I agree with you on McGovern.  I think he is underrated by a lot of fans here.   But he'll be 31 and will be a more expensive, riskier (age related) signing.

26 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Herbig is a starter next season. Tomlinson will be cut. If they dont cut Tomlinson by the 5th day of the league year, he counts $17Mill + against the cap. Absurd

But I want to talk more about this year than next year, I think we can make a run at this

OK, what needs to happen this year to make a deep run?

29 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I would love to see Michael Mayer in a Jet uniform. A true blue chip talent at the TE position. Not sure he'll be there in the 20's though...

This team is a quarterback away and all of our stars outside of QW are on rookie contracts / team friendly deals (DJ Reed!). I want to see big swings in free agency / trades and I would love to see a big move at QB if Mike White doesn't pan out. This off-season is the time to pad the roster and try to put us over the top

I get where you are coming from, but I completely disagree.  I think that is what sunk Mangini/Tannenbaum.  They seemed headed in the right direction and then they hitched their wagon to Favre.  Things are going well.  They are doing the right thing and building the team the right way.  I don't want big swings.  I want more of the same - the DJ Reeds, the Kwon Alexanders.  Keep drafting well - which is not going to be so easy when the picks are not 3 1sts and 7 picks in the first 4 rounds.  

• Upvote 2

Overall I really like what's presented here. The two quibbles I have are with Davis and Kwon. Both are solid players in their own right, and worth working into the roster for that reason alone. However, the impact they bring to the table in the form of leadership cannot be overlooked. This is especially true of Davis. The Jets currently have a very young, and let's be realistic, immature WR room. Davis, even in his interviews, shows he brings a mature, steadying influence. I will bang the table for him to come back for that reason. 

Kwon brings a great energy on the field, and certainly plays with his hair on fire. I know Sherwood is a similar player from a skillset/build standpoint, but I think the Jets are looking to groom him to possibly fill Mosely's spot when he does eventually leave. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Tomlinson is like Mosely it costs them about 5 mil in dead cap  space to cut these guys after June 1

the Jets' starting center for 2023 might not be on the roster yet

31 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

He's a young & nasty overachiever who has performed well across (now) 3 NFL seasons.  We need a mean road grader who protects the QB well.  

these are vague adjectives 

fact is only one player gave up pressure last week to the Bears' anemic pass rush and it was Nate Herbig, who did it twice 

55 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Tomlinson is very expensive and has had an up and down year.

This team is much better AVT at LG and Herbig at RG, with the money saved, than with Tomlinson, AVT and Herbig not on the roster.  Hopefully we can find another inexpensive swing G.  Herbig is 10x better than Feeney.

I agree that McGovern should be extended.   This was a JD mess up.  There should have been someone developing in the wings to step up.  There is no one, and McG cannot be practically franchised either.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I always say if we had Favre in 09/10, we likely win at least 1 super bowl in one of those years. Sad. 

He played pretty banged up in 10. Remember jets were 8-3 ? Early in 08. Then farve tore his bicep, but played rest of yr. We all wondered why he Al of sudden played so bad. Think jets finished 10-7 or 9-7, just missing playoffs. 09 was one of Farve’s best seasons of his career. Over 4200 yards, 33 tds and only 7 picks. I don’t even want to look at sanchez numbers next to those ha. Jets have to be only team to make it to league championship game twice with 1 of worst qbs in nfl.

It's never a popular draft pick, but strengthening our OL is the best way to help whoever our QB is next year both play better and even more importantly not get hurt. I realize ZW managed to get hurt with no one hitting him . . . but that is not the usual way your QB gets knocked out of a game.

The other area I like to see some more depth is at LB.

But we have to see who is available for us after we know what position we will be drafting at . . . hopefully we won't be drafting very high like we normally do every year.

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

QB:  TBD but as long as White shows he is a great fit for this quick passing system, I re-sign him to a 1-3 year deal at an average starting QB salary.  Let Zach compete for the job in 2013 and re-up Streveler if you believe he has upside to assume the back-up spot

I don't see Zach beating out Geno Smith.

Also not sure if a 14 year old would make a good NFL QB.

Also, no DeLorean available at current either, sorry.

:)

• Haha 3

Honestly, I think this offseason is going to be about finding the $ to keep our own players. McGovern, Quincy Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Nate Herbig, Kwon Alexander are all UFAs, and we have some RFAs with big potential tenders like Bryce Huff, and not to mention, giving Quinnen a new deal. Oh and if Mike White continues to ball out, he's a UFA. 

I think the writing is on the wall that they're going to cut Lawson for the cap savings ($15m). I initially questioned the wisdom of taking a 2nd DE like Clemons in the draft since we seemed so loaded there and drafted JJ, but Lawson's deal is prohibitive for '23, so I'd have to assume he restructures or takes a hike. 

And the QB decision will also affect how we roll moving forward, as we can't give White a big contract while paying Zach Wilson $9m+ next year.

With not a ton of cap like recent years, I think you'll see a big decision at QB moving forward, restructure/cut of Lawson, and a concerted effort to keep our own players while adding pieces through the draft. Don't expect insane FA spending methinks. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’ve been wrong on plenty of things (Ulbrich, drafting Zach, the ‘cool shirt’ I recently purchased for a family trip)… but I started the year stating JD had done an excellent job stripping us bare in order to build a strong foundation for the long term.  My prediction was 8-9 wins.

We will likely exceed expectations because we NAILED the 2022 draft … a culmination of moves JD made in years past at the expense of some meaningless wins.

We’ll enjoy the rest of 2022 but with an eye on making this a championship caliber squad entering 2023.

Interested in your thoughts..  here are mine as a baseline.  Keep in mind that the Jets will be fairly tight against the cap.

————————————————

QB:  TBD but as long as White shows he is a great fit for this quick passing system, I re-sign him to a 1-3 year deal at an average starting QB salary.  Let Zach compete for the job in 2013 and re-up Streveler if you believe he has upside to assume the back-up spot

RB:  No action

WR:  Draft round 1 to give White another dynamic receiving option.  Waive the oft injured Davis ($10M we’ll need)

TE:  No action

OL:  Re-sign Herbig to start at center.  A warm Goodbye to McGovern, Fant & Feeney.  Draft a 4th tackle in middle rounds.  Draft Center in round 3 as backup to Herbig and as future starter when Herbig shifts back to guard and we let Tomlinson walk in 2024.  Re-sign LDT

Edge:  Waive Lawson ($15M we’ll need).  Sign Huff to a first round restricted tender @ ~$5M; we cannot lose him for anything less

DT:  Exercise 5th year option on Q; caution on doling out huge contract after 1 big year.  Upgrade the much improved but injury plagued Rankins (going back to his time with Saints).  Draft depth later rounds

LB:  Keep Mosley but ask for a pay cut from $17m salary to $10M.  Otherwise, numbers will likely not work given cap situation and desire not to push too many dollars to future years.  Re-sign Quincy (partly as leverage because he’s Quinnen’s brother).  If possible, bring back Kwon on a reasonable deal.  Draft MLB middle rounds to compete with Sherwood in 2024 when CJ is likely waived due to cost

CB:  No action

Safety:  Upgrade Joyner by drafting FS in round 2.  Draft SS depth later rounds

Shocked to even think this but this roster looks like it could make a deep run, contingent on White proving he’s the guy or otherwise acquiring a capable average starter that’s a system fit.

—————————————————————

QB:  White

WR1:  Wilson  (Pro Bowl potential)

WR2:  1st Round

Slot:  Moore/Berrios

RB1:  Breece  (All Pro potential)

RB2:  Carter or Knight

TE1:  Conklin

TE2:  Uzomah

LT:  Brown

LG:  Tomlinson

Center:  Herbig

RG:  AVT  (All Pro potential)

RT:  Mitchell

Edge:  JFM/Huff  (Huff 10+ sack potential)

DT:  Free Agent upgrade / JFM

DT:  Q  (All Pro Pro potential)

Edge:  Johnson/Clemons

LB:  CJ, Quincy Williams, Kwon or Sherwood

CB:  Sauce  (All Pro potential)

CB:  DJ  (Pro Bowl potential)

Slot:  Carter II

FS:  Round 2

SS:  Whitehead

agree with some of the moves.  i'm not sure how we can say douglas' nailing of the draft put the jets in this position considering that breece hall went down as did maxwell.  this isn't taking away the contributions of sauce or gwilson just that some of those draft picks are out or still learning (johnson and cleamons).  but it is clear they need to figure out the qb situation (again).  i'm not ready to anoint mike white yet.  he's played well but he also showed some chuckitus duckitus when they played the bills last season.  we'll see if he can rise against the pressure.  as for more players, oline still needs starters assuming becton can't go, they need to deal with qwill and any other expiring contracts, and deal with the safety position.  but i have to admit they are really looking like a team that can be more than a contender in the next few seasons.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Don't  like the idea of getting rid of McGovern. I am tired of seeing experiments on this line. McGovern has played well and has been the only steady presence  on the OL so let's get rid of him. Sign him to an extention os more like it. 

As far as Mosley, he would have to be crazy to sign for such a pay cut when his play has dictated otherwise. More likely we just sign him to a new deal and convert some of that 17 million  to signing bonus. 

Connor McGovern is underrated...

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

At least someone else sees what I see!

41 TDs to just 12 INTs; a QBR of 93.9 and a career Completion Percentage of 62.5 % all accomplished on an awful team!

Yea, we should get this guy, at a minimum to be in the mix.  One wonders where we would be if he had been here now and we forced Zach to earn his starting spot 

He would be pretty cheap too, as he's still young (drafted in 2019) and has been a backup for the season. To me getting him is a no-brainer unless Mike White plays consistently lights-out or even just good enough to allow the offense to be great for the next 7+ games.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I would love to see Michael Mayer in a Jet uniform. A true blue chip talent at the TE position. Not sure he'll be there in the 20's though...

This team is a quarterback away and all of our stars outside of QW are on rookie contracts / team friendly deals (DJ Reed!). I want to see big swings in free agency / trades and I would love to see a big move at QB if Mike White doesn't pan out. This off-season is the time to pad the roster and try to put us over the top

This guy? 

MichaelMyers2018.jpg

Oh! MAyers

• Haha 1