Jump to content

Mike White Contract


chirorob
 Share

Recommended Posts

As we all know, he is an UFA after this season.

If he has a great final month, I was trying to see what he might get paid.  The only comp I could find was Jimmy G, after his great few games with the Pats back in 2016.  He parlayed that into getting the franchise tag, traded to the 49ers, and signing a contract averaging over 20 million a year. 

Mike White goes off this December and leads the Jets into the playoffs, it'll cost 25-30 million easy to bring him back next year.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, THE BARON said:

At this time, I would like to make a practical suggestion. 

I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible so as not to trigger the MWF fan club.

Before an open letter goes out to JD insisting that he set aside a significant portion of cap $$$ for MFW, I recommend that no one clicks "send" on that until the conclusion of the BEEFALO game.

I have just a slight suspicion that sentiments may change. 

I'm not on the club or off it.  I HOPE he does well, as I always HOPE the Jets QBs do well.

I'm just stating, if he goes 4-2 down the stretch, he could become very expensive.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, chirorob said:

As we all know, he is an UFA after this season.

If he has a great final month, I was trying to see what he might get paid.  The only comp I could find was Jimmy G, after his great few games with the Pats back in 2016.  He parlayed that into getting the franchise tag, traded to the 49ers, and signing a contract averaging over 20 million a year. 

Mike White goes off this December and leads the Jets into the playoffs, it'll cost 25-30 million easy to bring him back next year.

Good topic.  Definitely lots of ifs.  


A few thoughts if White plays well.

1. The Jets might look to see what the Commanders do with Heinicke …

2. Set some anchor points around the recent 2 year deals Mariota got to lead the Falcons @ $10M per year and Winston got to lead the Saints at $14M per year.  Guys with limitations & question marks but proven to be competent starters in the league

3. Build an incentive laden deal w/ upside.  Heinicke signed a 2 year deal after flashing 2 years ago with the Commanders that is paying him a meaningful per game incentive during Washington’s win streak

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not on the club or off it.  I HOPE he does well, as I always HOPE the Jets QBs do well.

I'm just stating, if he goes 4-2 down the stretch, he could become very expensive.

I dig 100 %.  I'm pretty psyched to see what MFW can do in the coming weeks and I also hope he deals aces.  Speaking of getting too far ahead of things regarding MFW... I'm considering all the teams the Jets could face in the playoffs.  With the stipulation that MFW plays well, I only see one AFC team that the Jets could not beat, unless...  That being KC.  And that is solely due to the QB, Mahommes.  Without the QB, ,KC is mortal.  With Mahommes, they can and will win even if they were down two scores in the 4th qtr with two minutes left.

Unless the Jets game plan is brutally simple and fanatically executed.  That being, knock Mahommes sh*t loose at all cost.  Every and any manner of generating pressure and constantly hitting him.  I'm not saying "injure" him, but I am saying make him feel it on every play and make him think about it.  Even if he gets the pass off, it would be a successful defensive play if he winds up checking to make sure he still has all his body parts attached after he gets off the groumd. The KC snake is a zero without it's head.  I cant stress that enough.  

So, yeah. I have some hope that MFW can get it done and I'm already working on how to get past KC. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

At this time, I would like to make a practical suggestion. 

I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible so as not to trigger the MWF fan club.

Before an open letter goes out to JD insisting that he set aside a significant portion of cap $$$ for MFW, I recommend that no one clicks "send" on that until the conclusion of the BEEFALO game.

I have just a slight suspicion that sentiments may change. 

Right now JD is simply going to have to play Poker, as is Mike White's agent.

If Mike White plays well or even great, there is no reason to take a Jets deal and to not go to the open market and sell himself to the highest bidder, should any be available (and some likely would if he plays great, my own local 'Ders for example).  

If Mike White plays NFL average (still well above Zach-level), it gets dicey, what would the open market look like, how much would we want to spend, if we want to spend at all for average, etc.  Hard to see how that would play out, MW could see the market as better, the Jets could see other opportunities as better, or not on both counts.

If Mike White bombs, no one will want him, including us, so it's a moot point.

Both sides have some interest potentially in doing a deal sooner, avoiding the risks above.  But almost assuredly not enough interest to actually make it happen.

I expect nothing on this front till the offseason, and it'll be driven by how well MW plays.   And if he plays very well, I honestly expect to see him playing elsewhere next year, because that is about as SOJ as it gets, lol.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

IF ONLY we have this as a problem.

Enjoy the ride!

If only we have this as a problem sounds great, until we really have this as a problem.  JD has somehow assembled a team that went from very little talent, to a lot of depth (just look how well the team is playing after suffering numerous injuries to starters).

Saleh may be taking receipts, but before you know it, this team is going to have lots of bills to pay (in salary) and a challenge to keep so many talented young players on this roster.  We better hope the JD and his scouts continue to draft well as they shift to later positions in the draft order.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

At this time, I would like to make a practical suggestion. 

I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible so as not to trigger the MWF fan club.

Before an open letter goes out to JD insisting that he set aside a significant portion of cap $$$ for MFW, I recommend that no one clicks "send" on that until the conclusion of the BEEFALO game.

I have just a slight suspicion that sentiments may change. 

can we park this next to the "oh no we may lose Greg Williams to a HC gig" thread? that seems like the appropriate place for it to go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Right now JD is simply going to have to play Poker, as is Mike White's agent.

If Mike White plays well or even great, there is no reason to take a Jets deal and to not go to the open market and sell himself to the highest bidder, should any be available (and some likely would if he plays great, my own local 'Ders for example).  

If Mike White plays NFL average (still well above Zach-level), it gets dicey, what would the open market look like, how much would we want to spend, if we want to spend at all for average, etc.  Hard to see how that would play out, MW could see the market as better, the Jets could see other opportunities as better, or not on both counts.

If Mike White bombs, no one will want him, including us, so it's a moot point.

Both sides have some interest potentially in doing a deal sooner, avoiding the risks above.  But almost assuredly not enough interest to actually make it happen.

I expect nothing on this front till the offseason, and it'll be driven by how well MW plays.   And if he plays very well, I honestly expect to see him playing elsewhere next year, because that is about as SOJ as it gets, lol.

Agree with everything, but SOJ.  JD flopped with Becton and Zach Wilson, but everything else has been a grand slam.  I'm on record here suggesting that JD is the one that wanted to stick with Zach Wilson this season, but I'm actually confident he'll take care of QB in the off season as well as making even more improvements to an already very good young roster.  Not really possible to foresee how things will play out, but at this moment, considering where the Jets are probably going to be drafting, I'm already looking at Will Levis and especially Tanner McKee as potential 1st round or early 2nd round QB picks for us.  The other way to go would be opening up the check book for a vet and I prefer Jimmy G to Carr.   I don't expect Mike White or Zach Wilson to be a consideration for starting QB in 2023, although, I am all but positive Zach Wilson will be on the roster next year.  It seems that JD will never give up on an early daft pick until their rookie contract is over regardless of how bad they have been.  IE, Wilson, Becton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Right now JD is simply going to have to play Poker, as is Mike White's agent.

If Mike White plays well or even great, there is no reason to take a Jets deal and to not go to the open market and sell himself to the highest bidder, should any be available (and some likely would if he plays great, my own local 'Ders for example).  

If Mike White plays NFL average (still well above Zach-level), it gets dicey, what would the open market look like, how much would we want to spend, if we want to spend at all for average, etc.  Hard to see how that would play out, MW could see the market as better, the Jets could see other opportunities as better, or not on both counts.

If Mike White bombs, no one will want him, including us, so it's a moot point.

Both sides have some interest potentially in doing a deal sooner, avoiding the risks above.  But almost assuredly not enough interest to actually make it happen.

I expect nothing on this front till the offseason, and it'll be driven by how well MW plays.   And if he plays very well, I honestly expect to see him playing elsewhere next year, because that is about as SOJ as it gets, lol.

if you are JD you try to sign him now for an incentive laden contract for next 2 years.

2 years $20MM guaranteed with upside to $40MM depending on games played/performance/etc.

if he doesn't want to sign tell him he's back to riding the bench for the Lions/Jags game.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, talonmm said:

If only we have this as a problem sounds great, until we really have this as a problem.  JD has somehow assembled a team that went from very little talent, to a lot of depth (just look how well the team is playing after suffering numerous injuries to starters).

Saleh may be taking receipts, but before you know it, this team is going to have lots of bills to pay (in salary) and a challenge to keep so many talented young players on this roster.  We better hope the JD and his scouts continue to draft well as they shift to later positions in the draft order.

 

RELAX and enjoy!

it’s not our money. Plus, there’s always ways to dance around the salary cap.Even rocket scientists can’t seem to figure it out, but teams somehow do.

Let’s cross that bridge when we get to it.

 

today on the radio, everyone took the Jets to beat the Vikings this Sunday.

 

People are taking the Jets to win a December game, on the road, with playoff implications!

just absorb that for a minute!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

The only thing I don't want is for MW to play well into the playoffs and JD/Saleh boneheadingly let him leave because of some BS Zach Wilson obsession.

this scares me the most. White plays well and gets offered a 20 mil a year contract and JD lets him go cause we need to see more than 20 games from Zach. as good as JD is, stupid sh*t like this will get him fired if White does good with his new team and Zach still sucks

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The best part about Mike White potentially establishing himself as our franchise QB (hypothetical I know) is that we would be able to sign him to a very friendly cap number for a QB.

Short of him going on just an insane run from here on out, there's no way he is going to command a huge contract. 

That's the thing.   When Jimmy G had just a few good games, he was franchise tagged and got over 20 million per

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Mike White plays well, even average for 5 of the next 6 games or more I wouldn’t mind a nice contract for Mike White. 
But I want to see consistency before I say he’s our future. He’s a UFA at the end of the season and I don’t think it would be a good idea to dump him unless he is horrid for the next 6 games but I also want to see consistency from him. If you add up all the games he’s played in he’s had 2 really nice ones, an awful one (playing from behind is a bad excuse, a QB shouldn’t throw an INT on 33% of throws in any game), a pretty bad half (Patriots, 2 INT and 1 TD I think) and a promising first quarter (Colts). 
That’s not consistent enough and the only time I would put full trust in any QB after 4 games is if they had a Bengals game performance every game. Otherwise 4 games isn’t enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

At this time, I would like to make a practical suggestion. 

I'm going to be as diplomatic as possible so as not to trigger the MWF fan club.

Before an open letter goes out to JD insisting that he set aside a significant portion of cap $$$ for MFW, I recommend that no one clicks "send" on that until the conclusion of the BEEFALO game.

I have just a slight suspicion that sentiments may change. 

I don't know really. I don't  expect us to beat The Bills unless Allen implodes and throws like 2 picks or fumbles and we convert them into points. The more I think about this,  MW might be a guy we can build around.  We waited for Zach to develop all this time and he isn't at MW level. Let's see if we can keep White for another year.  Maybe a second round tender or just sign him to a 15 Million a year deal for 2 years that you can dump in year 2 with a minimal cap hit. I just think investing in him to develop isn't  such a bad idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't know really. I don't  expect us to beat The Bills unless Allen implodes and throws like 2 picks or fumbles and we convert them into points. The more I think about this,  MW might be a guy we can build around.  We waited for Zach to develop all this time and he isn't at MW level. Let's see if we can keep White for another year.  Maybe a second round tender or just sign him to a 15 Million a year deal for 2 years that you can dump in year 2 with a minimal cap hit. I just think investing in him to develop isn't  such a bad idea. 

Not sure of MW needs to be developed.  He's already there.  Wilson was the developmental project that never got needed training.  I could be wrong, but MW is probably best in the role of a back-up QB.  

As far as the Vikes and Beefalo.  I don't know how White will play, but if he does play well, I am very much expecting the Jets to win both games.  If he cant cut it, the Jets will lose both games.  Vikes can put up points even on the Jets.  More points than Buffalo will score on them.  The Jets will need a lot of yardage and big plays from White to best the Vikes and they will need efficiency vs. Beefalo.

Anyone that reads my posts knows that I'm not a Jets fan-boy, but right now, other than the question mark at QB, the Jets are a really good team.  And they are not even peaking on offense yet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The best part about Mike White potentially establishing himself as our franchise QB (hypothetical I know) is that we would be able to sign him to a very friendly cap number for a QB.

Short of him going on just an insane run from here on out, there's no way he is going to command a huge contract. 

 

Agreed, I think no matter what, the 1 year sample size plus the low draft pedigree should keep his number down, even if he completely dominates.  Jimmy G was a little different back with the Pats in that they invested a 2nd in him, and he was billed as the heir apparent to Brady.  White had zero expectations and had previously been waiver-wire fodder.  

 

I think IF White proves he's the guy this year, he'll cost a decent chunk of change to keep, but I don't think it'll come close to breaking the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If MfW balls out and we make the POs, it shows JoeD two things:

1) MfW is a good QB

2) Any competent QB can lead the Jets with Breese Hall, a great stable of WRs, and a top Defense.

So if MfW prices himself out of the Jets job, JD can bring in any 'good vet' to compete with Zack and the Jets are probably just fine. Heineke is an interesting suggestion. He's the 'Skins Mike White with a few more games. That QB who's been filling in for the Browns is another good possibility. Heck, even Sam Darnold could probably lead the Jets to the POs next season.

MfW might get his bag of cash next year, but it won't be from JD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure of MW needs to be developed.  He's already there.  Wilson was the developmental project that never got needed training.  I could be wrong, but MW is probably best in the role of a back-up QB.  

As far as the Vikes and Beefalo.  I don't know how White will play, but if he does play well, I am very much expecting the Jets to win both games.  If he cant cut it, the Jets will lose both games.  Vikes can put up points even on the Jets.  More points than Buffalo will score on them.  The Jets will need a lot of yardage and big plays from White to best the Vikes and they will need efficiency vs. Beefalo.

Anyone that reads my posts knows that I'm not a Jets fan-boy, but right now, other than the question mark at QB, the Jets are a really good team.  And they are not even peaking on offense yet.  

I think White can develop more. The guy seems more mobile than he showed last season, he also looks like he has more zip on the ball now. These are things that can further develop into his game. As far as the Vikes, MW will have a statistically  good game. The Vikes don't  have much of a pass rush outside of Smith and Hunter and other teams have contained them. I think we will be fine offensively.  The D has its work cut out for them. As far as the Bills, it will be up to the D to contain the O. Zach beat them playing a very MIke Whitesque game so Mike again shoukd be ok. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...