*** College Game Day 12-02 and 12-03 ***

Beerfish

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Saban out right begging to be let into the playoffs, sad really.

When Saban argues that Bama would likely be favored against the other "fringe teams" so they should be in, he should be reminded that had he beaten two teams he was favored against (TN & LSU), they would be a lock.

• Upvote 3

I need a little education re 'red shirting'.

Essentially if you red shirt, you are with the team and can practice and such but cannot play and do not use up a year of eligibility.  Is that correct?

So if they call you a red shirt freshman this is your 1st year of playing but you have been with the team for two years, is that right?

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If college backs get past the dline for most college teams it is all over, none of these dudes can tackle at all.  The tackling the last few weeks in college has been an embarrassment.

Tackling is terrible, and it seems to be getting worse. I’m going to guess it’s because offensive skill players are getting bigger while LBs are getting smaller and because the targeting rule has scared everybody off of trying all that hard,

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Essentially if you red shirt, you are with the team and can practice and such but cannot play and do not use up a year of eligibility.  Is that correct?

So if they call you a red shirt freshman this is your 1st year of playing but you have been with the team for two years, is that right?

That’s my understanding (another year of eligibility). And yes they can practice in D1. ..there’s medical redshirts too and old transfer rules. It’s how you get these 25 year seniors sometimes. That K. Thompson (RB/WR) for UVA has been playing college ball since 2017 lol 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Red shirting is when they make kids who don’t wanna play dress in red clothing and fight bulls. It’s rooted in old Spanish colonial tradition, which is where most college sports get their culture from. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yea, say a red shirt junior is in his 4th year 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

That’s my understanding (another year of eligibility). And yes they can practice in D1. ..there’s medical redshirts too and old transfer rules. It’s how you get these 25 year seniors sometimes. That K. Thompson (RB/WR) for UVA has been playing college ball since 2017 lol 

Right now it is the extra Covid year of eligibility -- which is why we just watched 25 year old Stetson Bennett in the SEC Championship game.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They changed the redshirt rules a few years ago.  You now can play 2 or 3 games and still be considered a red-shirt.  A lot of these red-shirts will be playing in their team's bowl games this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Right now it is the extra Covid year of eligibility -- which is why we just watched 25 year old Stetson Bennett in the SEC Championship game.

After his 4 yr. journeyman NFL career, he’ll be scooped up by a Rich Atlanta Law Firm full of alumni on the BOD and get a mid-6 figure salary to play on the law firms flag football team and shake hands with prospective clients.

He may also become the play-by-play guy for Bulldog TV. 

• Upvote 1