For all you fools that want Jimmy G !!

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The 49ers had Jimmy g, watched him play and decided to draft Lance and try like hell to unload Jimmy g. What does that tell you about him?

That his management team has poor QB scouting? All kidding aside, probably the same reason the Jets drafted Wilson #2, they thought the upside was worth the price. So far they both look like bad decisions. I personally don’t want Jimmy G because of cost and injury history, you normally don’t get less injury prone as you get older. If the Jets want competition for White and Wilson I would prefer to take a chance on Minchew as he would be cheaper and has some success as a starter.

On 12/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jimmy is 10-2 when he doestn throw a TD. All you have to do is watch his last game to see how limited and crappy of a QB he is. 

He has all the Zach Wilson vision with our any of the upside. He has not throw a 30 yard pass in 5 years.

Just say no to Jimmy G. We have the legend Mike White anyway.

So, is he like a better version of Zach here? Hitting on some chunk plays, but missing a bunch of layups?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

That his management team has poor QB scouting? All kidding aside, probably the same reason the Jets drafted Wilson #2, they thought the upside was worth the price. So far they both look like bad decisions. I personally don’t want Jimmy G because of cost and injury history, you normally don’t get less injury prone as you get older. If the Jets want competition for White and Wilson I would prefer to take a chance on Minchew as he would be cheaper and has some success as a starter.

Jimmy g is expensive mike white. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Hex said:

49ers didn't want him because they spent the #3 pick on Trey Lance and didn't think Jimmy G would be worth the cost as a backup. All of the other teams either had their QB or their offense wasn't a good fit for him. He's a game manager, but he does a heck of a job as one.

Yup.  But while I do not think White is our answer, I'd like to see an extended run.

If he can give you a Jimmy G equivalent, you don't have to dump bucket loads of $ on Jimmy G.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Though worded a bit too bluntly the op has a point.  Garappolo is what he is and may not be much different than a mike white.  But Jimmy G will get paid by someone.

Not only will he get paid, he will get paid handsomely...maybe 2-3 other FA's worth of money.

Let's see what MW has to offer before we entertain JG.

17 hours ago, Hex said:

I see what you're saying here these are good points. That's some in-depth offense. I still feel like he runs his offense well though, even if he doesn't have to do much. Depending on how Mike White does Jimmy G might still be a good signing. We'll see I guess.

Lol I feel he still does a good job.

Hex jimmy is terrible and 9ers team and fans want him gone. They would give their left but for Mike white or any qb capable of playing better. 

@Sperm Edwards explained a lot of good point but it is very simple. Just like zach, aa good team can win in our system with out from from qb. But the idea is to get a good QB that can run the system doe they don't just squeak out some wins, we want to win by 30 not 3.

A lot of comment here about Jimmy like he is good. I assume those people just havent seen him play.

23 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If jimmy g is the perfect QB for the niners offense, why didn’t they want him this season? For that matter, why was it that no nfl team wanted him?

The niners DID want him, in fact they renegotiated his contract just to keep him. If they didn't want him they would have cut him.

Teams knew it was coming down to the wire and thought there was no way Jimmy G would want to stay instead of hitting FA, turns out Jimmy did want to stay for another year.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The niners DID want him, in fact they renegotiated his contract just to keep him. If they didn't want him they would have cut him.

Teams knew it was coming down to the wire and thought there was no way Jimmy G would want to stay instead of hitting FA, turns out Jimmy did want to stay for another year.

As a back up

On 12/3/2022 at 1:29 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

To rephrase the same question, why did they spend all that draft capital to move up for Lance in the first place? 

Because the backup QBs are worse? Start with that. I don't think you'll get much pushback that he's a better QB than CJ Beathard, Brian Hoyer, Nick Mullens, and the first few career starts from Trey Lance (and the first 2 seasons from Zach). Early team rebuilds and injuries aside, those other weak 49er QB names are the rest of the reason their record w/o him sucks.

2017 & 2018 they were still very much a rebuilding team. 

End of 2017 when they briefly went 5-0 with JG it came against weaklings & paper tigers to close the season:

1. 3-9 Bears (barely won 15-14)
  2. 4-9 Texans (with TJ Yates starting)
  3. 8-6 Titans in the middle of a 3-game slide (& barely won 25-23 on 3 dumpoffs against a soft prevent D that choked)
  4. 10-5 Jax (JG almost singlehandedly blew what was an early blowout, throwing a pick in the EZ that turned a would-be 14 point lead into a tie. 21 of SF's points came off Jax turnovers: a pick-6 plus 2 more picks with drives started deep in Jax territory led to 2 more TDs; the latter of which all JG did was hand it off 3x; plus the last TD JG again didn't attempt a pass & merely handed the ball off on every play).
  5. Season-closer win was against the Rams' backups, as they were resting their starters for the playoffs.

The most recent time he missed half the season or more, just look at the rest of the 49ers injury report. They were treading water at 3-3 with him (2 of those 3 wins in weeks 2-3 against the two lowly NY teams who were a combined 1-15 in the first half of the season; the Giants beating a WFT who'd lost 7 of their first 9 games themselves). Eventually there were just too many key starter injuries piled up in 2020, including more who feel after JG went on IR himself. Missing most of the season were starters Bosa, Kittle, Deebo, Ford, both Mostert & Coleman, Richburg, Sherman, SS Tartt, and Kwon Alexander played 5, then missed 3, then was traded at the deadline (traded for Kiko Alonzo who never played for SF or anyone else ever again). Also Trent Williams missed 4 of the remaining 8 games after JG went on IR.

So it was hardly a simple tale of a healthy 49ers team winning with JG who - still healthy - then suddenly collapsed without him. 

Last year's playoffs

• SF won the 1st game by running it almost 40x; JG threw for <200 yds and 0 TDs as all the scores came either on the ground or from 3 longer FGs (2 of 3 from 50+).
  • Next playoff win a week later he was even worse, and the only 9ers TD was scored by their defense. 
  • NFCCG JG was a bit better for awhile I guess, but their one long TD pass was a short screen into the backfield that was all Deebo. Then JG blew the end of that game, too, including his taking 2 critical delay of game penalties & then a game-sealing pick in the 4th quarter. 

His play is unlikely to improve elsewhere when he doesn't have the game's premiere LT protecting his blindside as well as veteran 3 probowl skill position starters around him (not even counting probowler Juszczyk among those 3). It's an insult to those playmakers he has, to be merely game-managing the likes of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and McCaffrey. That should be a 30ppg offense.

SF hasn't faced a top-15 defense this entire season so far, so it's not like he's been challenged. Plus SF is winless this year in both games the D has surrendered >16 points -- that's too heavy a requirement for an offense to place on its defense every week. Plus I doubt Jets fans would tolerate the sack-safety he takes every 5 games, including stepping out of the back of the EZ in the 2nd half like a young Geno, in a Den game they ultimately lost by 1 point.

Meh, meh, and meh.

Mad props on the research! I was on board with the JG  group think signing. You have caused me to reevaluate my position. Just don’t get an opportunity to watch much 49ers ball nor follow their trajectory.

If MW goes 4-2 and gets us in the PO and has a good showing then you get him signed to a 3 yr deal at 2/3 the cost of JG.

He either wins the starter job next year or ZW finally “wins” the job! Either way we will have a very expensive backup QB.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

was right about berrios and I'm also right about jimmy g. 

Jimmy g is the berrios of qbs but less likeable. 

Mediocre at best

You had me in your first sentence...

Any premise that starts "he's 10-2 but he sucks" is going to be interesting! 

Let me help you out with those pesky facts that don't really mean anything...

Despite Jimmy ranking 20th in attempts he ranks 16th in Yards and 6th in average yards while being near the top 10 for TD's and throwing the 4th fewest int's among regular starters. 

That's mediocre at best... purely substandard IMHO.

But where Jimmy really caps the bed is his average passer rating... a crappy 103 that only ranks 5th highest in the league. 

I agree with you... he's crap,  let's stay away from him!!!

9 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Zach isn’t as good as the 49ers backup to Jimmy G

Brock Purdy is in now and he looks far more competent than Zach ever has. He was Mr. irrelevant in the 2022 draft but he did start 4 years in the Big 12 for Iowa State and won a lot of games playing for a really good HC.

13 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Brock Purdy is in now and he looks far more competent than Zach ever has. He was Mr. irrelevant in the 2022 draft but he did start 4 years in the Big 12 for Iowa State and won a lot of games playing for a really good HC.

Zach isn’t even a mediocre nfl qb.  The jets need to sign Jimmy G on a one year prove it deal and resign White

we also need to look at signing Tom Brady if Belichick throws a fit and doesn’t let Kraft get him back.  But regardless Zach Wilson is stinky and the locker room despises him

2 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Zach isn’t even a mediocre nfl qb.  The jets need to sign Jimmy G on a one year prove it deal and resign White

we also need to look at signing Tom Brady if Belichick throws a fit and doesn’t let Kraft get him back.  But regardless Zach Wilson is stinky and the locker room despises him

IMO JD is not signing a big money or 30+ year old veteran. It’s not in his DNA and it’s not part of the blue print.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO JD is not signing a big money or 30+ year old veteran. It’s not in his DNA and it’s not part of the blue print.

He doesn’t have to.  After yesterday Jimmy G is probably looking at a one year $15-20 million deal on the open market if he’s lucky

brady would also be a 1-2 year deal