QB School: Mike White film review

Lith

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am of the belief that the only way Zach gets back in is if we fall out of playoff contention. The bar is so low right now for what a Jets QB has to produce to keep the team on track that White would have to absolutely melt down in order to become the reason the Jets lose games. 

I agree with you on that for sure.  

49 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

the Fields angst came from the fact that the godawful Bears were scoring 30+ points a game and he was the driving force of that. He's got miles to go as a passer but at least he does something well.

He was also rushing for over 100 a game

16 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Please don’t merge.  I saw him tweet he was going to do a film review and I want to watch with open eyes.

This thread will be different than the circular Mike White / Zach Wilson threads. 

These videos aren’t perfect but his and Warner’s videos of Jets QBs are must watch to me.  

His videos are excellent.

Great breakdown of the QB, the good, the bad.  Also interesting commentary on how the routes are run, and play design are good.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet those who complain about the 150 yard games love Fields who is averaging under 150 yards a game.  That’s balling

Actually everyone is now acknowledging Wilson has been a mess all year most of you are just 6 months late.  As far a Fields goes can't comment haven't watched a full game but I'll just assume his first two years aren't as bad as Jamarcus Russel. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

If Fields was on the Jets there’d be more people complaining and you’d still be calling for White.  Nothing changes 

I agree with you. Whatever rookie QB took the reigns for the Jets was going to have a rough start, which was, in large part, why I didn’t want to draft the upper-crust sheltered suburbanite from Utah who already had some character questions. As I’ve said, being the Jets QB requires being a special kind of sociopath who can tolerate constant pressure. Zach is not that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t think it’s lack of talent. The arm strength is there, the size is there, the legs are there.
In my humble opinion, It’s the lack of preparation. 

It doesn’t mean that he could actually become better at it. But, that’s for next year.
Right now, this team is a playoff contender.

it’s MW’s team until he wets the bed…IF he ever does.
Right now let’s just enjoy the ride!

It’s parsing, but I think Zach has traits, not talent. He throws hard and can run a little bit, but does nothing well that a QB has to do. I would almost guarantee that Berrios could play QB as well as Zach Wilson for a game.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

Actually everyone is now acknowledging Wilson has been a mess all year most of you are just 6 months late.  As far a Fields goes can't comment haven't watched a full game but I'll just assume his first two years aren't as bad as Jamarcus Russel. 

Every throw video against the Bills 2 weeks ago disagrees

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

the Fields angst came from the fact that the godawful Bears were scoring 30+ points a game and he was the driving force of that. He's got miles to go as a passer but at least he does something well.

This is what it was like for josh Allen as well. First two seasons, he looked awful as a passer but his running ability allowed him to be a serviceable qb while he learned how to pass. Dangerous runners will also get easier pass looks because the defenses have to shift their focus. Maybe fields will develop as a passer, maybe he won’t but his running ability will allow him to be productive while he tries to figure that out. Zach on the other hand, he hasn’t shown he can do anything well, so it’s hard to keep him on the field. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Something that’s going to keep putting him on the bench.  

He's gonna have to learn to protect himself better for sure. But the point remains that there's something to work with there. Don't think that Wilson has anything that you can point to and say "ok he does that well, let's figure out how to build an offense around that". 

11 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Every throw video against the Bills 2 weeks ago disagrees

The Jets ran the ball 10 times in a row on the final drive to win that game because they knew they had a stiff at the QB position....I give WIlson credit he didn't screw the game up and was able to throw the ball in the general vicinity of his RBs that day. 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, extmenace said:

This is what it was like for josh Allen as well. First two seasons, he looked awful as a passer but his running ability allowed him to be a serviceable qb while he learned how to pass. Dangerous runners will also get easier pass looks because the defenses have to shift their focus. Maybe fields will develop as a passer, maybe he won’t but his running ability will allow him to be productive while he tries to figure that out. Zach on the other hand, he hasn’t shown he can do anything well, so it’s hard to keep him on the field. 

100% agree. Joe Burrow and Mike White (who absolutely belong in the same sentence do not correct me) are the outliers at the position at this point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

The Jets ran the ball 10 times in a row on the final drive to win that game because they knew they had a stiff at the QB position....I give WIlson credit he didn't screw the game up and was able to throw the ball in the general vicinity of his RBs that day. 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

<Zach Wilson completes a six yard slant to Denzel Mims—working against the Bills’ CB6– to ice a Bills game where the defense ass-blasted Josh Allen for three hours>

Jets fans: “That was premium quarterbacking. Zach is the future”

<Mike White throws for 315 and 3 scores against the Bears>

Jets fans: “Numbers are meaningless”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

He's gonna have to learn to protect himself better for sure. But the point remains that there's something to work with there. Don't think that Wilson has anything that you can point to and say "ok he does that well, let's figure out how to build an offense around that". 

I know I'm taking your post out of context, but I don't want to be a team that has to work the offense around a running quarterback. Right now I'd rather have White (who has shown he can put up good passing numbers but is limited as a runner) than Fields (who's an amazing runner but is still limited in the passing game).  If Fields comes around he's the total package, but for now I'll take my chances with the passer . . .

49 minutes ago, undertow said:

Most of you? 

4 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

100% agree. Joe Burrow and Mike White (who absolutely belong in the same sentence do not correct me) are the outliers at the position at this point.

Ehhhhhhhhh we say that every year and every year the teams in the championship games are all quarterbacked by dudes who can’t run to save their lives. Last year’s final four QBs were Burrow, Mahomes, Garopollo, and Stafford. Not one of those guys can beat a 4.8/40

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Until he gets injured. 

Again

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ehhhhhhhhh we say that every year and every year the teams in the championship games are all quarterbacked by dudes who can’t run to save their lives. Last year’s final four QBs were Burrow, Mahomes, Garopollo, and Stafford. Not one of those guys can beat a 4.8/40

Mahomes is an athlete, half his thing is running around slipping tackles in the backfield for 5 seconds. 

I get your point, I just think it's an easier track to develop a quarterback when they have the option to use their legs. Not necessarily as a Allen/Jackson type running threat but just being mobile in the Mahomes or Herbert mode is very helpful imo. Especially given that it's gotten weirdly difficult to pass league wide this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They’re not making Zach active until they feel he’s ready to step in if there’s an injury.

There’s gonna be a lot of pressure on Zach whenever he gets put back in there. If he gets back in and can’t move the offense? Could be curtains. 

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The good news is that I think the Vikings have either the 31st or 32nd ranked Defense against the pass.  Mike White has another big opportunity here.  Not sure how well our D can do vs the Vikings stellar offense (I expect them to be okay but we're still likely giving up north of 21 points).  But this might be a shootout.

Can I even remember a time going into a game when someone says "this might be a shootout", and I'm thinking we have a good chance of winning?

It hasn't happened in a while!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There’s gonna be a lot of pressure on Zach whenever he gets put back in there. If he gets back in and can’t move the offense? Could be curtains. 

If we secure a playoff spot before the end of the season, maybe put Zach in against the Dolphins?

i watched the film.  white was making most of his throws and his foot work was pretty good.  he did almost get picked and was late a couple of times.  i also saw him duck just after making a throw to ready himself to get hit.  hard to say if that duck influenced the throw because it was also a completion.

the bottom line is white was basically throwing to open receivers and they made lots of yac.  he's plenty accurate but i think is too concerned about getting hit.  if minny can get a pass rush then white could be in real trouble. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Or he could look completely different.  Who knows, he’s a 23 year old with under 2 seasons under his belt

Hopefully White doesn’t fade, is the real thing and we won’t care 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, undertow said:

No offense but if you think Wilsons struggles are because of the defenses hes been facing you are either biased or don't know what you are watching.  It's such a terrible narrative but I guess I'm not surprised most of the fanbase thought his games of 150 yards were awesome game management. 

no offense take. the world is not black or white.

1. I do not think Wilson was going for 3 TD's and 300 yards in the rain vs the Bears

2. I do think that Wilson could have been good enough to start building his confidence back up, the Jets would have won with me at QB in retrospect, the Bears were missing everyone and then lost their 2 best remaining players before halftime

3. I do not subscribe to the "awesome game management" narrative, which to be honest doesn't exist. I do think that Wilson played well enough to win those games, and we definitely do not win the Steeler game without him. The patriot game was the breaking point for me, he was clearly broken (i did not care about "the comment")...i was ok with going with Mike White.

4. While cautiously optimistic, i do not believe that Mike White is good enough to win games vs good teams for us...and maybe Wilson isn't either...but i do know that Wilson offers long term potential, and elite athletic ability that Mike White will never have. I am holding out hope that the investment in Wilson is not sunk cost...but i do not know at this point.

hopefully that clarifies my position.

4 hours ago, xJayce said:

If we secure a playoff spot before the end of the season, maybe put Zach in against the Dolphins?

you have to keep playing white as long as he keeps winning games. Wilson is under contract for 3 more years, there will be time to see if that ship has sailed...but you play to win games this year.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Do Mike Whites against the bills 

ZW’s other 18 sh-t games would be more telling

MW has started and finished 3 games and in 2 of the 3, he produced the top QB performance in the entire league

The other game was vs the #1 pass D in the NFL, a defense against which ZW produced all of 70 yards in week 18

This ZW minions thing has become a cult. Drinking Kool-Aid laced with stuff that renders one temporarily blind and insane..

In the words of Richard Sherman, Zach Wilson has “potential”

Mike White has production 

On 12/2/2022 at 6:41 PM, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

My question is, why has there been no "Zach Wilson Mike White was OUTSTANDING against the Bears!" analysis video anywhere?  You know, the ones that were regurgitated here all of last year?  Are hyperbolic analyses only reserved for Zach or were they all BS to begin with?

- "an Aussie's take"

Your avatar and un are hall.of fame worthy.  It gets better over time

On 12/2/2022 at 5:36 PM, T0mShane said:

You know how a baseball manager will call for an “emergency” meeting right before a series against a bad team? It really looks like that’s what Saleh did with the White switch. I know we want to blame Zach’s douche answer in his post-Pats presser, but his benching certainly appears pre-meditated.

I'm still terrified the Jets may try to put Zach back in and I mean Terrified. Every QB in this league struggles in a game or a half and who knows maybe we don't see that from White for a while but its probably going to come at some point and I hope they have the common sense not to go back to Zach because he's terrible