deGrom to Rangers

Lith

Nearly $40 million a year for a pitcher who averaged 80 innings pitched a season the past three years. Gook luck with that.  Last season proved you can't have your season ride on the arms of older starting pitchers.  Both deGrom and and Scherzer faded badly down the stretch and in the playoffs when they were being counted on to be the keys to winning playoff series.  

• Upvote 1

Disappointing but I understand why Mets didn’t chase that deal. 1 first rd. pick (wash, rinse, repeat) goes pitching
Need to get  Nimmo signed along with Bassit and Walker. Get Ottavino & Trevor May back in the fold  & see what other pieces you can add. I’d also see what Alonso & McNeill are willing to offer to lock them up early so we’re not doing this again next season. 

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nearly $40 million a year for a pitcher who averaged 80 innings pitched a season the past three years. Gook luck with that.  Last season proved you can't have your season ride on the arms of older starting pitchers.  Both deGrom and and Scherzer faded badly down the stretch and in the playoffs when they were being counted on to be the keys to winning playoff series.  

Last season??  I think the Mets showed you cant depend on just dominant pitching to win consistently. They had 5 real good to great young pitchers at the same time. They made the WS once and play in game one time with that team

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Last season??  I think the Mets showed you cant depend on just dominant pitching to win consistently. They had 5 real good to great young pitchers at the same time. They made the WS once and play in game one time with that team

Astros winning the whole thing brought a sigh of relief. Even if the Mets won the pennant, Houston completely owned the Mets last year and were clearly the better team from top to bottom. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Pitchers tend to break down.  Maybe now they try to improve their lineup and sign quality (but not superstar) pitchers.

I guess teams in their calculations of the economics of their org figure in giving great players extra years at high salaries even if they know the player will not perform at the higher level for latter years of the contract. When a team gives a ten year deal to a player in his 30s like with Albert Pujols I guess they figure the return in terms of revenue is higher than the exorbitant cost of the contract. With deGrom he never seemed to be on board with re-signing here and no real indicator the Mets were either. 

In 2022 the Mets strategy of going far in playoffs if not the WS with a big two as starters (esp in a short series) didn’t work. Maybe the Mets just got tired of deGrom and determined it wouldn’t work with him. Now rumors that they want to continue with this strategy with an elite player like Verlander. They would need to match the contract they gave Scherzer. Do they want to sign another older pitcher after Scherzer’s injuries last year. Does Verlander want to pitch in New York? I personally hope the Mets go in a different direction than Verlander. 

EAD Jake.  Dont want to be a Met, we dont want ya.  Go sit for 80% of the year for the Rangers.  

Was just having this discussion, does Jake even have a memorable moment as a Met?  Legit. obviously a lot of great outing but what was his most memorable start?  NLDS vs. the Dodgers game 1?  Is that it?  lmfao what a waste of a career here.

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

EAD Jake.  Dont want to be a Met, we dont want ya.  Go sit for 80% of the year for the Rangers.  

Was just having this discussion, does Jake even have a memorable moment as a Met?  Legit. obviously a lot of great outing but what was his most memorable start?  NLDS vs. the Dodgers game 1?  Is that it?  lmfao what a waste of a career here.

Game 5 vs LA made him the cult hero. I agree, Mets can use the $ in much better places. Bigger picture here, he won 82 games as a Met, 7th on all-time list. Only 116 less than Tom. He is a walking injury, 5-6 inning guy at best. He won 6 games for a team that won 101. This is a blessing in disguise for the Mets.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Game 5 vs LA made him the cult hero. I agree, Mets can use the $ in much better places. Bigger picture here, he won 82 games as a Met, 7th on all-time list. Only 116 less than Tom. He is a walking injury, 5-6 inning guy at best. He won 6 games for a team that won 101. This is a blessing in disguise for the Mets.

Yep, game 5.  lol  See, I couldnt even remember what game it was? Agree w/ everything else you said.  Not upset at all about this, good for Jake and the Mets.  Ridiculous to pay him that, he's a shell of himself.  

• Upvote 1

Yankee fan but no hate towards the Mets makes me a casual observer I guess.  Think the sentiment is correct here. When I saw he was leaving initially I thought that was a big loss and then remembered he really is always hurt. 12 wins past 2 seasons. Was making $35m the past 2 years. Gets a small bump and has the no income tax in Texas. Mets free up $. Everybody wins?

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, JiFields said:

A memorable moment? Yes the Mets scoring 1 run or less every time he pitched.

Tough one, I see why the Rangers did it. If they get him healthy (huge if) he could will win over 20 games.

Also see why the Mets had to pass. The owner having a ton of $ still doesn't mean you can give out bad contracts.

Always liked Degrom though.

• Upvote 1

Guy is going to be 35 before the All Star break. No way the Mets could have come close to this contract. Three years of injuries are a long time.

The three years before that are the only years he threw 200 innings. Hasn't been Mr. Durable.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

A memorable moment? Yes the Mets scoring 1 run or less every time he pitched.

Tough one, I see why the Rangers did it. If they get him healthy (huge if) he could will win over 20 games.

Also see why the Mets had to pass. The owner having a ton of $ still doesn't mean you can give out bad contracts.

Always liked Degrom though.

Yeah fun to watch, dominate when available but a very insignificant impact on the Mets for a 2 time Cy Young winner.  The team just had their best season since he's been a Met, he pitched in what, 9 games?   lol  For an all-time great, very very very few meaningful moments. Blame it on the Mets, sure, they've been sh*tty since he's been around but still, is what it is for Mets fans and he didnt want to be here so good riddance.

Verlander who was great in 2022 wants a Scherzer type deal for 3 years looks like Houston won’t give it to him. The Mets outbid LAD for Scherzer last off season. Mets org favors higher salary per season but fewer years. So looks like Mets could have a senior citizen 1-2 punch in ‘23. But would it work can these guys stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Verlander who was great in 2022 wants a Scherzer type deal for 3 years looks like Houston won’t give it to him. The Mets outbid LAD for Scherzer last off season. Mets org favors higher salary per season but fewer years. So looks like Mets could have a senior citizen 1-2 punch in ‘23. But would it work can these guys stay healthy. 

Not sure I want the Mets to lock into another old pitcher.  Another option would be to load up on offense and get mid-level starters.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure I want the Mets to lock into another old pitcher.  Another option would be to load up on offense and get mid-level starters.

I think this owner would want to sign him. And try for another 1-2 punch. But it basically didn’t work in 2022. Boras is rep-ing many of these pitchers. It will be expensive.