I don't give sh!!!!! I stated this before!!! This is on LaFleur!!

greasyt

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He called a great game last week. 

Trying living life with a better temperament. Seriously. 

What i will say is this.  

Calling a football game is extremely challenging.  Offense and defense both, it is a great challenge to do it consistently. If we want to let Lafluer off the hook this week then thats anyones priority, however i think we can all agree that you have to have a better plan for how you are attacking a defense in the redzone.  You cant get the ball inside the 15 go screen, then jet sweep with your 4th wr, then nothing. 

You cant go wr screen, get a penalty, then decide youre going to do a fake screen which gets sniffed out and then decide to go with another wr screen.  These are just not a successful sequence of plays to challenge an area of the defense that had been struggling all year.  

To me, it screamed of either a guy trying to get too cute in the redzone, or worse, a guy calling plays where he was scared to let his qb throw the ball down field in a condensed space.  ill go with the former as he's had a propensity to get too cute in games before.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Mike LaFleur did not drop catchable balls. I agree that his play calling leaves a lot left to be desired, but he can only call the play. He can't stop Fant from blocking in the back. He can't stop Corey Davis and his bonehead penalties. The Qb needs to throw a better ball and the receivers need to catch anything withing catching radius. Mike LaFleur is NOT why this team lost.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

What i will say is this.  

Calling a football game is extremely challenging.  Offense and defense both, it is a great challenge to do it consistently. If we want to let Lafluer off the hook this week then thats anyones priority, however i think we can all agree that you have to have a better plan for how you are attacking a defense in the redzone.  You cant get the ball inside the 15 go screen, then jet sweep with your 4th wr, then nothing. 

You cant go wr screen, get a penalty, then decide youre going to do a fake screen which gets sniffed out and then decide to go with another wr screen.  These are just not a successful sequence of plays to challenge an area of the defense that had been struggling all year.  

To me, it screamed of either a guy trying to get too cute in the redzone, or worse, a guy calling plays where he was scared to let his qb throw the ball down field in a condensed space.  ill go with the former as he's had a propensity to get too cute in games before.  

Nailed it. 

Idk why they never attempt some sort of fade jump ball. It’s screens, sweeps and slants. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Nailed it. 

Idk why they never attempt some sort of fade jump ball. It’s screens, sweeps and slants. 

Which is why I wonder why they refuse to give Mims a look in the red zone ( or in the game at all.)   It is amazing that Lafluer is too afraid to throw a jump ball to the 6'3 Denzel Mims or the 6'2 Davis.   TE were also non existent in the red zone.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Which is why I wonder why they refuse to give Mims a look in the red zone ( or in the game at all.)   It is amazing that Lafluer is too afraid to throw a jump ball to the 6'3 Denzel Mims or the 6'2 Davis.   TE were also non existent in the red zone.  

Yup. Uzomah is a big boy too

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Nobody going to blame the first half defense? I hate blaming refs, they did make some sh*tty calls, but those first half long drives stole possesions from us. The going for it on 4th gave the Vikings an extra 3 at half. There were a ton of mistakes today and we probably should have still won.

This team is young, and that includes the coaching staff. Tough loss but I think this was encouraging. Does nobody remember how bad things were the last few years? As this team gets more experienced, they’ll win more games like this one. 

We got the ball back just after and got three of our own. Net of zero. Chances are if we punt, Vikes could still have got three and we have no time to respond. Even if the Vikes don't score, we'd still go in at the half with the same points difference.

Didn't like the call at the time myself, but looking back it didn't end up costing us anything.

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna lean in the direction the Vikings just know how to play red zone defense. Were there some sh*t play calls? A few. But there were some good plays called and executed that were nullified by the ref's home cookin'. It happens. Alot. 

At the end of the day, the Vikings have a bend don't break defense so kudos to them. Onto the Bills. I didn't want to say anything before the game, but I had a feeling the Jets would lose this game. The fact that they stayed in it until the end, speaks volumes how resilent they are. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

3rd and goal play call was atrocious, but next play is an easy touchdown if Berrios holds on

It’s obvious the run wasn’t going anywhere, but I didn’t like the idea of a fade to the corner with Garrett Wilson. If you want to throw the ball there why not put both Davis and Mims on the field at the same time for a physical, jump ball type play? Look for the matchup pre-snap and pick the guy who has the matchup advantage, then let the wide receiver outbody the CB?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jamesr said:

We got the ball back just after and got three of our own. Net of zero. Chances are if we punt, Vikes could still have got three and we have no time to respond. Even if the Vikes don't score, we'd still go in at the half with the same points difference.

Didn't like the call at the time myself, but looking back it didn't end up costing us anything.

Could also argue that they went 3 and out after we punted instead of going for it, they then punted to us and then we get the 3. It’s a bunch of what ifs, but it was a dumb call never the less. We happened to get even, but could of also been trying to kick a FG for the win at the end of the game. We’ll never know.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

If you had used one more exclamation point in the title, I might have agreed with you, but without it, your argument lacks the passion necessary to be persuasive.   

I feel like a reckless '@' in the middle of a line of exclamation points really drives home the rage in these kind of posts. I'd use a French expression to punctuate this but I don't know any French. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Viermoo said:

Almost 500 yards of offense but LeFleur stinks… ok.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The red zone play calling lost this game. 

We're moving the ball and he gets cute every time we got down there. 

It's ok though.  Learn from it and grow.  

This team is going to make a run next year behind Hall, G Wilson, White, and the receiver they draft in the first round. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

What i will say is this.  

i don't disagree -- the redzone woes of today's L are on him... and over the last 2 years there's been too many peaks and valley's to say whether or not he's "the guy".. I was speaking to the "he's the worst, kill him now" crowd.

Consider the following:

• We have no idea (and neither does MLF himself) what his playbook can do, week in and week out... He's been working with a lame duck QB since he got here. How the fck can you measure the effectiveness of your plays if your QB is hot mess like ZW... zero Objectivity to measure.
  • He's working with no threat of a running game at all. 
  • MW has 5 starts to his name? Still feeling out his own game within the game.

I'm not here to let MLF off the hook, but it's tough to make any absolute statements. 

While I agree MLF had a bad performance with goal to go, the offense was pretty good everywhere else.  The Vikings run D isn’t terrible - their pass D is.  The gameplan was obviously more passing oriented.

also, Berrios dropped the game winning TD.  That’s not on MLF.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of all the bad calls by MLF, he should've pounded Bam Knight at the 1 rather than throwing to the corner of the EZ. 

Outside of the red zone playing I actually thought MLF did a solid job. Mike White missed a wide open streaming Wilson down the sideline in the 4th. Guys dropped passes today. 

I know they had a tough day running the ball in short yardage situations but down on the 1 yard line- run the ball 3 times. I’d rather have lost trying to run it in instead of passing. 

Where is this narrative about getting cute in the red zone coming from?

There was exactly one "trick" play: the Garrett Wilson pass attempt.

A shovel pass is not a cute play. It's utilized quite often in the red zone by a number of teams and has a decent success rate. A WR screen is not a cute play. It's a major concept in a LaFleur offense and he calls them frequently. A fade in the end zone is not a cute play. It's utilized by most teams near the goal line, and in all honesty, it doesn't even seem like that was the play called as Wilson didn't even run the route and it seemed like some sort of miscommunication.

The plays didn't work and it sucks. Perhaps they could have run the ball a couple more times in the red zone today. But there wasn't anything egregiously wrong with the play calling. Plays were there to be made and the players failed to execute.

I hate that he’s passive in the first half of games.   He doesn’t script aggressive first possession drives.   We got aggressive when the score dictated it and we got conservative in the red zone.  Hated the corner fade.  Veterans with a lot of experience with their receivers miss that throw if the WR gets there.   Wasted down.  

The scheme is okay.   We just never dictate early in games.   It doesn’t feel like there’s a plan to really attack.    It’s up to the D to set the tone.  

Berrios holds on to the ball he catches 9 out of 10 times and he's a genius as the offense put up 450 yards

Berrios makes that catch, they win. But the problem of his play calling would still exist. With the Jets losing it brings this problem to the forefront, no longer hiding behind Zach or wins.

3 hours ago, Green Truth said:

You have Robinson who is a smell the end zone back. Give it to him and let him find a way. Sorry. Run the ball

He barely gets back to the line of scrimmage. Bam might be our best bet for short yardage. I don’t recall him getting a single attempt.

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Berrios makes that catch, they win. But the problem of his play calling would still exist. With the Jets losing it brings this problem to the forefront, no longer hiding behind Zach or wins.

The Jets had 450 yards of offense in back to back weeks, nobody is hiding behind anyone.  If Berrios holds on to that ball, the Jets win and we're talking about the greatness of Mike White and how this team is as legit as it's ever been.  Lets not pretend this isnt all ridiculous over sensational reactionary nonsense. 

• Post of the Week 1

The Jets had 450 yards of offense in back to back weeks, nobody is hiding behind anyone.  If Berrios holds on to that ball, the Jets win and we're talking about the greatness of Mike White and how this team is as legit as it's ever been.  Lets not pretend this isnt all ridiculous over sensational reactionary nonsense. 

With all of their trips in the red zone, they came away with only 1 TD. I don’t care about what they do between the 20’s, they need to get TDS. His play calling was questionable at best.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

With all of their trips in the red zone, they came away with only 1 TD. I don’t care about what they do between the 20’s, they need to get TDS. His play calling was questionable at best.

I'm not playing this stupid ******* game.  Berrios holds on to the ball they win and the offense went off again, the rest is stupid who gives **** nonsense.

27 minutes ago, JiFields said:

You. Me. Whipped cream and chocolate syrup. Now.