Building Blocks

Sir Speez

Agreed. We’re still way ahead of our timeline right now. Vikes are a legit playoff team. We have a GROWING young core. And the playoffs aren’t lost to us yet. A few guys have some self reflection to do, players and coaches, will this tough loss harden them or send them out the door?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Hopefully White watches the tape and sees the couple of touchdowns he missed and learns.   He’s been pretty impressive so far. 

You can say that for a lot of people not just White - start with MLF, the Receivers

31 minutes ago, Sir Speez said:

I know we are hyped because we have accelerated our timeline for even talking about the playoffs, but after a rough one like today I’m going to be happy about:

Garrett Wilson - Breaking Key’s Rookie Rec Yrds Record & Probably his 5th Pepsi Rookie Belt ?

Bam Knight - cementing himself as part of the 3 headed monster next year

Mike White - staying in the conversation 

MLF - being exposed on 3rd & 4th and Short

Clemons & Quinnen - coming back in the game

Still having our playoffs in our own control - Win and In

If we don’t make it that burn that Sauce and everyone else will come back with next year and the Fire and Brimstone they will be bringing with them

IMO, Bam may be making Carter irrelevant, and Carter is one of my favorite players.  Perhaps Bam becomes number 2 and Carter 3rd down back when Hall returns.

Mike White is the Starting QB.  Any talk of him comeing out after Zach Wilsons "reset" should come with immediate unemployment.

• Haha 1

I know we are hyped because we have accelerated our timeline for even talking about the playoffs, but after a rough one like today I’m going to be happy about:

Garrett Wilson - Breaking Key’s Rookie Rec Yrds Record & Probably his 4th Pepsi Rookie Belt 
If we don’t make it that burn that Sauce and everyone else will come back with next year and the Fire and Brimstone they will be bringing with them
Great points all around.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Solid post and great perspective.  The Jets are way ahead of schedule and quickly heading in the right direction.  I think the most exciting part is just how close they are to being damn near a complete roster.  You can see a few upgrades needing to happen but if they commit to Mike White, like they should, this team is dangerously close. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Solid post and great perspective.  The Jets are way ahead of schedule and quickly heading in the right direction.  I think the most exciting part is just how close they are to being damn near a complete roster.  You can see a few upgrades needing to happen but if they commit to Mike White, like they should, this team is dangerously close. 

Goes to show you don’t need to hit on every pick. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, extmenace said:

We don’t have a short yardage back. We don’t even have Michael Carter. Any doubts that breece doesn’t punch that ball in when we were on the 1? This offense is going to look so much better when he’s on the field. We still are right in the middle of the playoff hunt, which is still insane to think about when we think about how bad this team has been the last few years. We’ve got a bright future, this is hopefully just the beginning. 

Not sure that is fair. Bam was hit well behind the line of scrimmage of both plays which were poorly blocked and stupidly up the middle and still almost scored. I thought he was pretty impressive yesterday actually. We should get Breece back probably week 3 to week 5 next season.

16 hours ago, TouchyFeely said:

A few guys have some self reflection to do, players and coaches, will this tough loss harden them or send them out the door?

I think it will toughen them. In past years a loss like that would send the team into a tailspin, but I think that SOJ mentality is gone.

16 hours ago, Sir Speez said:

Garrett Wilson - Breaking Key’s Rookie Rec Yrds Record & Probably his 4th Pepsi Rookie Belt ?

*My bad he has 54 yards to go and probably his 4th Pepsi belt

We have a winner. Great post!

We've got a good nucleus of young players going into next year... Going to be interesting which positions or philosophy JD will use to target in next year's draft and FA. You guys know I'm a big advocate for OL, and while we've been playing somewhat well. we can't keep having an OL that only let's our RB's gain 1-2 yards on runs up the gut when we play better defenses. ML keeps running off tackle so much it makes my head spin, so if that is a play call he insists on calling, than we need stronger guards or a center. Next years draft needs to focus on the top Center in the draft. I believe if Max can get in the gym and put on muscle, he should be fine at RT, and either AVT moves back inside or beats out either the RT or LT. Next year we need to be younger and stronger on the OL. We've got basically every other position on O, and there will be good depth as well.   

I've been getting FitzMagic year vibes where we ball our asses off and just barely miss the playoffs, but I'll take it as this year was so unexpected.

That FitzMagic year was our last bit of decent football, and It's been a long and agonizing round trip just to get back to where we were then.

It's so nice to root with passion again.    Go Jets.

21 hours ago, extmenace said:

We don’t have a short yardage back. We don’t even have Michael Carter. Any doubts that breece doesn’t punch that ball in when we were on the 1? This offense is going to look so much better when he’s on the field. We still are right in the middle of the playoff hunt, which is still insane to think about when we think about how bad this team has been the last few years. We’ve got a bright future, this is hopefully just the beginning. 

This team is just a small town girl in the city lights, the best is yet to come.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Amazing to me that no one is faulting the O line for the red zone failures. 

I agree - but with the qualification that there are only so many guys you can bring in to replace injured starters AND backups before it has a strong adverse effect on performance. Where they could perform adequately against a second tier outfit like the Bears presented, it's a big ask to do better against a contending team with more balance, whose own scoring puts pressure on the OL to produce when there's little room for error and you have to pass/pass protect, and the other team knows it.  Heck, our  OL never got to Opening Day intact.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I agree - but with the qualification that there are only so many guys you can bring in to replace injured starters AND backups before it has a strong adverse effect on performance. Where they could perform adequately against a second tier outfit like the Bears presented, it's a big ask to do better against a contending team with more balance, whose own scoring puts pressure on the OL to produce when there's little room for error and you have to pass/pass protect, and the other team knows it.  Heck, our  OL never got to Opening Day intact.

The bottom line is that it forced MiLF to call pass plays in what should have been  one or two halfback dives.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Hopefully White watches the tape and sees the couple of touchdowns he missed and learns.   He’s been pretty impressive so far. 

Most impressive I thought to a man was the play he was hammered and seemed pretty hurt and in pain and in a matter of the 40 second clock got up and converted 4th and 10 to keep the drive alive and still give us a chance to win. If anyone thinks that most QBs could do that I really doubt it to tell you the truth since that would take a lot of physical and mental toughness.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Sir Speez said:

LOL

The Jets haven't seen competent QB play like this since the 1 year of Favre and going further back, Chad Pennington

Some fans talk as if the Jets are the GB Packers where there's been an unbroken chain of stud QBs dating back to Favre's 1st year as starter

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Amazing to me that no one is faulting the O line for the red zone failures. 

Completely agree.  Brown was beat bad on the last play for the Jets, Fant committed a killer penalty that sent us back 10 yards and the interior OLine ‘opened up’ holes small enough that Ants would have a tough time running thru.

Are we ahead of the timeline?

I think it was always planned for this year to be competitive and in the playoff hunt.  It's surely possible we're better than that - and can get in the playoffs and make some noise (which I would say we're ahead of schedule) but if we get in as the 7 seed and lose first round - I think it's right around where the plan had us.

• Upvote 1