Berrios Play in the Endzone - Drop or Bad Pass?

i think it was mostly on berrios.  granted the ball wasn't up in the numbers but maybe a higher ball gets picked or knocked away.  i will say that colon on sny said it should've been to moore.  sounds like he has a bit of a hard on against berrios.  but i also think the two plays before were bad.  bam almost got in  and then they went away from  a run to the corner slant.  wilson got stood up at thel ine and couldn't get to the ball.

12 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Looked like a drop to me. I’ve seen multiple posts stating that it was a bad pass. What do you guys think now that the game is over? 

They both accepted responsibility for their respective errors on the play.  White wanted the ball out in front more and Berrios said he should have made the catch.  You cant ask for much more than that from the players.  With that being said, that play needed to be made.  Regardless, I'm pretty pleased with the way the team played with the exception of the D on certain occasions and the O not being able to score in the red zone.  I told my son earlier in the game that the only way they were going to score was to have a break away run inside the 50 or a pass and a break away run.  If you ask me play calling on the goal line sucked donkey di** though!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

85/15 Berrios/White.

Pass could have been slightly better, more in front by a hair.

Berrios should have made the catch regardless. 

If we had any running game left, the entire question would be moot.

Yep, listen to brother Fish!

- B. Hall

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Give it a rest.  This is not about Mike White.  If that were Mims there is no doubt you would be saying he has to catch that ball.  The bottom line is Berrios dropped a ball he should have caught.  Was it a tough catch?  Yes but that is what receivers get paid to do.  Should we have even been going to Berrios in that situation?  That is whole different question.    If you are a starting NFL receiver, in that situation, you HAVE to make that catch, period.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Looked like a drop to me. I’ve seen multiple posts stating that it was a bad pass. What do you guys think now that the game is over? 

How do you define bad pass? That was a tight window throw on a covered receiver. There was not much room, but still hit the receiver pretty much in the numbers? I think it was a decent pass.

For the catch, that's tough. You're going to the ground while covered, but if the game is on the line, and the ball hits you on the chest, you have to make that play. Being hit in the numbers should be caught. Definitely a drop.

So, decent pass, and a drop.

16 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mike White was off on about a dozen throws, that’s what cost the Jets the game.  The one he over threw to Wilson was inexcusable.  He is still the best option we have this season but going forward the Jets need a new QB next season badly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Like it or not, perfect pass or not, I think THIS screen of the play tells the tale.

Berrios has the ball in both hands, against his chest, with no defenders hands on or near the ball.

An NFL WR in this spot needs to complete the catch.

An NFL WR who gets to this point should finish.

Even if the pass was slightly behind to start with.

If I showed you this image out of context, every one of us would think it's a screen of a TD catch.  Every one.

image.thumb.png.4842dd321a8e3e030cbc07dfe74a4af5.png

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

LOL this is not a 'BAD' pass. Maybe its not a 'PERFECT' pass but its far from a bad pass. He practically hit him between the numbers. Maybe a bit behind. Thats more than adequate for your receiver to make the catch. Especially when your receiver gets both hands on the ball. 

However, it WAS good defense. 

Still, IMO, that is a drop. Berrios really should have made that catch and probably would have made it if not for Jordan Hicks getting a hand in there. But great receivers make those catches. Maybe Berrios makes it if he had a do-over.