NYPost- O’Connor: Mike White only solidified his standing as Jets’ starting QB even in defeat

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

They have only loss to the Cowboys and Vikings. Crazy close one with the Bills. We simply loss to a better team yesterday. It happens. 

Indeed. And yet we had the win if one play here or there is different (Berrios catch, MW not missing Wilson) or if the Refs called it strait. We played a 9-2 team as close as anyone.

It’s disappointing. But hopefully not fatal to our postseason hopes. 

• Upvote 2

Mike White is legit, he's clearly not only the best QB on the roster but the best leader in that room as well.  The team loves him, the offense performs at it's highest level's with him in the game and is just flat out w/out question, his team.  I love this coaching staff, my only gripe is how they've handled the QB position, namely around the treatment of this dude, if they're not riding him the rest of the way, I will truly start to question JD's and Saleh's ability to get this position right which could be extremely determinantal to the success of their tenure.  I just dont how you could tie the anchor that is Zach Wilson to this team and your career after seeing what Mike White does when given the opportunity. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

While the result is disappointing, it’s more an indictment of the lack of running game at the goal lines, the challenge of having the Refs calling a lopsided game, quite a few drops including the likely game winner, and (mostly being ignored I think) the fact that the Vikings are quite good.

I don’t think yesterday was in any way disqualifying for MW in terms of being our starting QB. As noted, Berrios makes that catch, we win. 

Id be surprised if any changes are made this week at QB, and I don’t think I’d make any changes the rest of this season.

I hope there is a change on snaps berrios takes

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I hope there is a change on snaps berrios takes

lol, I know you feel vindicated but that was very uncharacteristic, dude has the best hands on the team.  He catches that 99 out of 100 times and  99 times out of those 100, we get bump your thread and laugh.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

While the result is disappointing, it’s more an indictment of the lack of running game at the goal lines, the challenge of having the Refs calling a lopsided game, quite a few drops including the likely game winner, and (mostly being ignored I think) the fact that the Vikings are quite good.

I don’t think yesterday was in any way disqualifying for MW in terms of being our starting QB. As noted, Berrios makes that catch, we win. 

Id be surprised if any changes are made this week at QB, and I don’t think I’d make any changes the rest of this season.

I actually thought both of Knight's runs at the end were solid. He was half a yard away. The third and 4th down calls were not awesome. I would not think we are changing away from White though I am not so sure his performance was as solid as this article makes it seem. But hopefully he learns from it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiFields said:

The results are the results, but I dont feel like we lost to the better team yesterday, honestly.  Same w/ the Pats.  Legit feels like we gave 3 wins away vs. inferior teams.  The Vikings are a good team, dont get me wrong but they play in the sh*tty NFC and everyone in their division is sub .500.  They beat the Tua'less Dolphins and the Bills in OT and now the Jets, the rest of their wins arent all that impressive.  

Agree. I think the jets were the better team yesterday in all phases of the game. Jets had a slow start and some calls not go their way. Is what it is. If they play that way every game they can play with anyone 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiFields said:

The results are the results, but I dont feel like we lost to the better team yesterday, honestly.  Same w/ the Pats.  Legit feels like we gave 3 wins away vs. inferior teams.  The Vikings are a good team, dont get me wrong but they play in the sh*tty NFC and everyone in their division is sub .500.  They beat the Tua'less Dolphins and the Bills in OT and now the Jets, the rest of their wins arent all that impressive.  

You are what your record says you are. If you don’t like the word better us more established. Jets are still trying to figure it out, we are currently starting our third QB of the season. They are still figuring out. Agree on Patriots, we have them two games. I don’t feel that way about yesterday. It’s ok if you do. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

You are what your record says you are. If you don’t like the word better us more established. Jets are still trying to figure it out, we are currently starting our third QB of the season. They are still figuring out. Agree on Patriots, we have them two games. I don’t feel that way about yesterday. It’s ok if you do. 

lol - I hate that saying but sure, at the end of the day its true but just not sure how you cant see it when Berrios dropped the game winning TD he makes 99 out of 100 times but still love yer guts out.

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

Why dont the Jets show some faith in this guy and just say "Mike White is our starter moving forward". 

Stop this whole, we still want Zach to come back this year nonsense. Maybe thats why his 1st half was alittle off. 

Give the kid a full chance. 

Because the team is invested in Zach and Mike White isn't under contract past this year.   If Mike White is the starter moving forward they should extend him now and hand him the job. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

No you’re not, the pats lost the Super Bowl with the best record in NFL history. 

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Why dont the Jets show some faith in this guy and just say "Mike White is our starter moving forward". 

Stop this whole, we still want Zach to come back this year nonsense. Maybe thats why his 1st half was alittle off. 

Give the kid a full chance. 

I think White's 100% getting benched unless he plays very well on Sunday - Even a game like yesterday will see Zach come back imo. 

Saleh's had every chance to say we're riding with White indefinitely but every time he has indicated that Zach will be back and it's just a break.

Could see the fans revolting vs The Lions if he comes back in and plays badly. I think they've underestimated how popular White would be. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Mike White with this offense compared to Zach is night and day, even with some missed throws and obviously not getting TD's in the Red Zone he lead the offense to nearly 500 yards.......He made some throws in tight spots that i doubt Zach even lets the ball go in because he would be ready to bail out........

lol yes. so many completions by White yesterday would have been Wilson running backwards and getting sacked/incompletion.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

lol - I hate that saying but sure, at the end of the day its true but just not sure how you cant see it when Berrios dropped the game winning TD he makes 99 out of 100 times but still love yer guts out.

Saw all that and I’m not disagreeing whole heartedly. Drops, refs and Berrios missing Zach’s gentle  touch on the ball all likely cost us. In the end the better team won yesterday. Vikings are a very established offense and their D played up to their potential yesterday when they needed to. That’s what I saw at least. 

Just now, Irish Jet said:

I think White's 100% getting benched unless he plays very well on Sunday - Even a game like yesterday will see Zach come back imo. 

Saleh's had every chance to say we're riding with White indefinitely but every time he has indicated that Zach will be back and it's just a break.

Could see the fans revolting vs The Lions if he comes back in and plays badly. I think they've underestimated how popular White would be. 

Yup. Like Shane has said, Mike White has to be almost flawless to keep his job, which shouldnt be the case but likely is.

Kid has no luck with scheduling. Every time he takes over, there's some big  team waiting to punch the Jets in the mouth.

Even if the Jets lose this coming Sunday, I think White probably wins the rest of the games on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Yesterday was the true definition of a game of inches....so many ridiculously close plays that change that game; Wilson missing the bomb, Wilson stepping out, White over throwing him by a pubic hair, Berrios w/ the drop, Bam getting stopped at the 1 yard line, and on and on.   Sure, the Vikings missed some opportunities too but definitely felt like the Jets missed the bigger ones. 

In most phases of the game we outplayed them.

There was ridiculous inconsistency from the officials early on, White was a little off with his location but still gave his guys a chance for the most part, the defence took a while to get going, so many plays were close run things. We absolutely whooped them in the second half. 

That said I really don't think the Vikings are all that good. I really fancied the Jets heading into it and I still think we're a better team who'd win that game more often than not. I'm proud of the effort and resilience the guys showed but it feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Buffalo are rolling again and what could have been a free hit to get ourselves in play for the division and #1 seed now becomes a crucial game that could see us out of the playoff spot. It sucks but it's good to have games that actually matter at this stage in the season. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Hard to know what's going on in the background.  Reality is Zach is under contract for 2 more years and White is an FA.  White may want to get paid a lot more than the Jets are willing to give him.  

The Jets may be downplaying his value intentionally?  It could well be a negiotating tactic.  Kind of sucks but it's a business and the Jets were hopefull they could compete for a SB with a cheap QB on a rookie deal. 

45 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Mike White with this offense compared to Zach is night and day, even with some missed throws and obviously not getting TD's in the Red Zone he lead the offense to nearly 500 yards.......He made some throws in tight spots that i doubt Zach even lets the ball go in because he would be ready to bail out........

I'm not sure you can say it any better than that.

He's like a Pennington.

We should be looking to draft or trade for or sign a stud, but this dude should be our starter until that happens and we can at least be a winning competitive football team.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Because the team is invested in Zach and Mike White isn't under contract past this year.   If Mike White is the starter moving forward they should extend him now and hand him the job. 

They can resign him.  If he takes us to the playoffs they can even franchise tag him 

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

When a team out gains the other, has more top, gets all the calls against them,  has 6 red zone trips, all while on the road, I don’t think any objective observer would say they are the worse team. 

Teams who win in the NFL score TDS in the red zone.  

• Upvote 1