NYPost- O’Connor: Mike White only solidified his standing as Jets’ starting QB even in defeat

Just now, SuicidalSince98 said:

Yes on that given day it is a big factor in winning, doesn’t mean that one team is worse or better than the other. The Jets just needed to go 2/6 in the Red zone to win, that is much worse than 3/3 which the Vikings did 

In 12 games across 3 months the Vikings have had a lot more of those days.  

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Saw all that and I’m not disagreeing whole heartedly. Drops, refs and Berrios missing Zach’s gentle  touch on the ball all likely cost us. In the end the better team won yesterday. Vikings are a very established offense and their D played up to their potential yesterday when they needed to. That’s what I saw at least. 

Fair enough, seemed like a very even match that I think the Jets would take if they played again, but right on.

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think White's 100% getting benched unless he plays very well on Sunday - Even a game like yesterday will see Zach come back imo. 

Saleh's had every chance to say we're riding with White indefinitely but every time he has indicated that Zach will be back and it's just a break.

Could see the fans revolting vs The Lions if he comes back in and plays badly. I think they've underestimated how popular White would be. 

You could be right, but I’m betting on them being smart enough to realize how popular white is in the locker-room and the fanbase. If white has another 4 pick disaster against the Bills? I agree they would move back to Zach - but if he is decent or better, I just don’t know how smart people like Saleh and Douglas put Zach back in that huddle right now.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

When a team out gains the other, has more top, gets all the calls against them,  has 6 red zone trips, all while on the road, I don’t think any objective observer would say they are the worse team. 

I dare say a better team would have more than 5 FG and a TD in 6 Redzone trips. Or a team that found their defensive identity yesterday did a nice job of tightening up when they needed to in the Redzone. If I’m being objective. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

In most phases of the game we outplayed them.

There was ridiculous inconsistency from the officials early on, White was a little off with his location but still gave his guys a chance for the most part, the defence took a while to get going, so many plays were close run things. We absolutely whooped them in the second half. 

That said I really don't think the Vikings are all that good. I really fancied the Jets heading into it and I still think we're a better team who'd win that game more often than not. I'm proud of the effort and resilience the guys showed but it feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Buffalo are rolling again and what could have been a free hit to get ourselves in play for the division and #1 seed now becomes a crucial game that could see us out of the playoff spot. It sucks but it's good to have games that actually matter at this stage in the season. 

Meh, they needed a last second FG to beat Detroit and beat the sh*tty Pats.  Just like the Vikings, the Jets match up well vs. Buffalo.  Not predicting a win this week because Buffalo is hard road game but I dont fear the Bills.  The Jets can beat anyone remaining on their roster and in a few cases already have...fun times!  Like I said in the other thread, it feels good to be let down again.  lol

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Fair enough, seemed like a very even match that I think the Jets would take if they played again, but right on.

Evens fine and I agree with that. Even if Braxton wiped one less Bro-tear for his Boo from his eyes before that play he may have held in. Heartbreaks a bitch! 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I agree.

While the result is disappointing, it’s more an indictment of the lack of running game at the goal lines, the challenge of having the Refs calling a lopsided game, quite a few drops including the likely game winner, and (mostly being ignored I think) the fact that the Vikings are quite good.

I don’t think yesterday was in any way disqualifying for MW in terms of being our starting QB. As noted, Berrios makes that catch, we win. 

Id be surprised if any changes are made this week at QB, and I don’t think I’d make any changes the rest of this season.

Agree, chemistry and poise are undeniable. MW is meeting the moment. Let these guys keep working and growing together. We are still in the mix. Long time since that was true at this point in the season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You could be right, but I’m betting on them being smart enough to realize how popular white is in the locker-room and the fanbase. If white has another 4 pick disaster against the Bills? I agree they would move back to Zach - but if he is decent or better, I just don’t know how smart people like Saleh and Douglas put Zach back in that huddle right now.  

They lost but they had a ton of offense, and they’re just starting to integrate moore and mims back into the offense.  There’s no reason to bench white.  Too many of douglas’ draft picks are playing well, they should get AVT and breece back next year and maybe even becton.  Just put the best players out there, and try not to screw up the play calls in the red zone.  The tds will come. 

I truly feel like this team is finally at a point now where THEY believe they’re as good as anyone, and the big reasons for that are Mike White, and the defense.

It would be incredibly dumb to mess with any of that right now, and it’s why I think Saleh was only throwing Zach a bone in his PC last week. He knows MW is the leader here now. This team is riding with White unless the season devolves into a collapse of disastrous proportions, and I don’t see that happening.

If I had to guess, we lose Sunday in Buffalo, take 2 of the next 3 against the Lions, Jags, and Seahawks. 9 wins might be enough to get in over the Chargers, but I’d take a chance on an elimination game against Miami on the last day of the season.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I think White's 100% getting benched unless he plays very well on Sunday - Even a game like yesterday will see Zach come back imo. 

Saleh's had every chance to say we're riding with White indefinitely but every time he has indicated that Zach will be back and it's just a break.

Could see the fans revolting vs The Lions if he comes back in and plays badly. I think they've underestimated how popular White would be. 

I think more importantly, I think the locker room revolts if this happens.  Just look at how the team has responded to him.  White shirts, and GW's comments after the game.  It's his team now, if we can see that, I'm sure Saleh can too.  If he doesn't and goes back to zach, man, i just don't know...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think more importantly, I think the locker room revolts if this happens.  Just look at how the team has responded to him.  White shirts, and GW's comments after the game.  It's his team now, if we can see that, I'm sure Saleh can too.  If he doesn't and goes back to zach, man, i just don't know...

I think the locker room has already revolted.   And they would again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I truly feel like this team is finally at a point now where THEY believe they’re as good as anyone, and the big reasons for that are Mike White, and the defense.

It would be incredibly dumb to mess with any of that right now, and it’s why I think Saleh was only throwing Zach a bone in his PC last week. He knows MW is the leader here now. This team is riding with White unless the season devolves into a collapse of disastrous proportions, and I don’t see that happening.

If I had to guess, we lose Sunday in Buffalo, take 2 of the next 3 against the Lions, Jags, and Seahawks. 9 wins might be enough to get in over the Chargers, but I’d take a chance on an elimination game against Miami on the last day of the season.

Still have to watch for the Pats and that damn tiebreaker

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

agreed. 

we had 486 total yds yesterday. thats the most of the year. in 2 Mike White games are the 2 most Total yds games this year.. he should be allowed one bad game. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I don't see it.  Unless he implodes in a Zach-like fashion with 100 yards and 4 ints. And even then,  Saleh would be seriously risking losing the locker room.. not to mention the fanbase at the stadium vs the Lions who will be chanting for White after Wilson's first bail out, scramble and throw away. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I dare say a better team would have more than 5 FG and a TD in 6 Redzone trips. Or a team that found their defensive identity yesterday did a nice job of tightening up when they needed to in the Redzone. If I’m being objective. 

It was a disappointing offensive performance against one of the statistically worst defenses in the league. The Jets outplayed them in second half, but couldn’t finish when it counted. They had too many failed red zone opportunities over the course of the day to pin the game on one difficult dropped pass at the end. They should’ve had the game in hand well before that. 

As far as solidifying his position as the starter, he should be solid for this week. It’s mostly up to him how long it lasts after that, but he has to know the scales weighted against him. There’s too much investment in Zach for them to give up on him completely yet, and a new contract for White has the potential to be an expensive complication. White’s superpower is his processor. His arm and athleticism are both sub-par. Honestly, though, so were Tom Brady’s back in the day and he never became athletic (although his arm improved significantly). White has to overcome his lack of natural ability if he’s going to hold onto the job. And it’s always possible that the Jets will simply feel Zach has had his reset and is ready to return to the lineup, no matter how unpopular that position will be. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Why dont the Jets show some faith in this guy and just say "Mike White is our starter moving forward". 

Stop this whole, we still want Zach to come back this year nonsense. Maybe thats why his 1st half was alittle off. 

Give the kid a full chance. 

Please , if his game is off because he's worrying about Zach then in essence he's Zach 2.0 .  Let's evaluate the QB play w/o having to compare every last nuance to the other guy. 

Not gonna lie, when he threaded that needle on 4th and 10 to Davis, I was already starting to envision the headlines for the next day.  Almost like it was meant to be, and we finally had a QB who could come back and win us a big game even when we looked down and out.  Technically, he did...or at least, gave us the chance to win.  

..but yeah, this game only solidified my stance on White as being "the guy".

Just now, Beerfish said:

White played well enough yesterday. no matter how he plays the rest of the year the Jets have to add to the Qb position next year.  White, Wilson and some viable vet to battle it out in camp.  (And no Joe Flacco is not a viable vet)

You’re getting ahead of yourself but it’s hard to imagine the scenario where they’re paying Zach his guaranteed money, sign White as a free agent, and bring in a “viable vet.” 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Indeed. And yet we had the win if one play here or there is different (Berrios catch, MW not missing Wilson) or if the Refs called it strait. We played a 9-2 team as close as anyone.

It’s disappointing. But hopefully not fatal to our postseason hopes. 

GW not stepping oob on the long pass play. CD not getting tripped up at the end of the long pass play. Game of inches.

17 minutes ago, slats said:

You’re getting ahead of yourself but it’s hard to imagine the scenario where they’re paying Zach his guaranteed money, sign White as a free agent, and bring in a “viable vet.” 

NFL teams would rather pay 6.5 million dollars for a Sheldon Rankins type player than spend more for extra QBing which is by far the most important position.

If the Jets go into next year with White and Wilson as their only viable pieces they are looking, no asking for trouble.  

I mean, I don't even care about anything else. At the end of the day, watching the Jets offense is fun with White is under center. I literally haven't been able to say that about any other Jets QB for 20+ years except for that that one year with Fitz and that one Sanchez year with Braylon, Santonio and Jerricho in 2010.

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

GW not stepping oob on the long pass play. CD not getting tripped up at the end of the long pass play. Game of inches.

And Mike White missing an open GW deep late.

We were in it till the end, but too many missed inches cost us the day, several of which would have changed the outcome.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mean, I don't even care about anything else. At the end of the day, watching the Jets offense is fun with White is under center. I literally haven't been able to say that about any other Jets QB for 20+ years except for that that one year with Fitz and that one Sanchez year with Braylon, Santonio and Jerricho in 2010.

For the first time in forever, i don’t cringe when they throw, i have faith they can get first downs and i believe they can win every game.  

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Why dont the Jets show some faith in this guy and just say "Mike White is our starter moving forward". 

Stop this whole, we still want Zach to come back this year nonsense. Maybe thats why his 1st half was alittle off. 

Give the kid a full chance. 

Won’t happen unfortunately, ZW is Woody guy the faster you accept it the better. It’s going to get ugly. Prediction MW has a  bad game against Buffalo due to play calling and in comes Wilson the next week. SOJ. 

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He was 6-17 in the red zone.

Mike White was fine yesterday but it wasn't exactly a clutch performance.  

Yeah, not clutch at all.  Especially that 4th down pass to Corey Davis after taking a shot that he struggled to get up from on the play before.