NYPost- O’Connor: Mike White only solidified his standing as Jets’ starting QB even in defeat

6 hours ago, JiFields said:

Mike White is legit, he's clearly not only the best QB on the roster but the best leader in that room as well.  The team loves him, the offense performs at it's highest level's with him in the game and is just flat out w/out question, his team.  I love this coaching staff, my only gripe is how they've handled the QB position, namely around the treatment of this dude, if they're not riding him the rest of the way, I will truly start to question JD's and Saleh's ability to get this position right which could be extremely determinantal to the success of their tenure.  I just dont how you could tie the anchor that is Zach Wilson to this team and your career after seeing what Mike White does when given the opportunity. 

Zach Wilson, barring injury, will Never start another game for the NYJ.  Great arm talent, I wanted very badly for someone you spend that kind of draft capital to succeed, but his Reads are still very poor, horrific against NE, and just incredibly inaccurate (that was Never seen on his college tape).  The hills he needs to climb to get to where Mike White is right now today as a Pro QB are just monumental.

Sign Mike White….NOW….he is QB1.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah, not clutch at all.  Especially that 4th down pass to Corey Davis after taking a shot that he struggled to get up from on the play before. 

That was. a really nice 4th down throw, no question.  Best throw of the day for him.

But one good throw doesn't make it a clutch performance.   You can act like going 6-17 from the redzone is somehow a good thing because he made a quality throw on 4th down - it's fine. 

I just don't see it that way.  It's okay we disagree.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That was. a really nice 4th down throw, no question.  Best throw of the day for him.

But one good throw doesn't make it a clutch performance.   You can act like going 6-17 from the redzone is somehow a good thing because he made a quality throw on 4th down - it's fine. 

Our OC was an idiot. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Zach Wilson, barring injury, will Never start another game for the NYJ.  Great arm talent, I wanted very badly for someone you spend that kind of draft capital to succeed, but his Reads are still very poor, horrific against NE, and just incredibly inaccurate (that was Never seen on his college tape).  The hills he needs to climb to get to where Mike White is right now today as a Pro QB are just monumental.

Sign Mike White….NOW….he is QB1.

As a Patriots fan, I would love this because in a few years some of that young talent would look nice in Foxboro, but I digress

White has looked good, at times, against two of the poorer defenses in the league.  Outside of the Bills, the remaining schedule is soft.  He can pad his numbers some more.  He was a free agent last year right?  And he signed where?  

My only point, with what the NFL knows as of this minute, a majority of the NFL would stay with their incumbent over singing him.  None of them would hand Mike "200 Career passing ATtempts" White the starting job to include the Jets.

54 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

As a Patriots fan, I would love this because in a few years some of that young talent would look nice in Foxboro, but I digress

White has looked good, at times, against two of the poorer defenses in the league.  Outside of the Bills, the remaining schedule is soft.  He can pad his numbers some more.  He was a free agent last year right?  And he signed where?  

My only point, with what the NFL knows as of this minute, a majority of the NFL would stay with their incumbent over singing him.  None of them would hand Mike "200 Career passing ATtempts" White the starting job to include the Jets.

I appreciate you adding your opinion on here.  It's good to hear from a fan of another team.  (Not being sarcastic). 

It's too early to judge MW completely because he's only had 2 games this year.  But if this keeps up, I think teams will definitely want him in FA.  I don't know if extending MW was considered going into this year but it sickens me that the team invested money and 3 starts into Joe Flacco, who was a waste from the very beginning.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, slats said:

It was a disappointing offensive performance against one of the statistically worst defenses in the league. The Jets outplayed them in second half, but couldn’t finish when it counted. They had too many failed red zone opportunities over the course of the day to pin the game on one difficult dropped pass at the end. They should’ve had the game in hand well before that. 

As far as solidifying his position as the starter, he should be solid for this week. It’s mostly up to him how long it lasts after that, but he has to know the scales weighted against him. There’s too much investment in Zach for them to give up on him completely yet, and a new contract for White has the potential to be an expensive complication. White’s superpower is his processor. His arm and athleticism are both sub-par. Honestly, though, so were Tom Brady’s back in the day and he never became athletic (although his arm improved significantly). White has to overcome his lack of natural ability if he’s going to hold onto the job. And it’s always possible that the Jets will simply feel Zach has had his reset and is ready to return to the lineup, no matter how unpopular that position will be. 

The pre draft scouting reports on White were that he had a strong arm.  He doesn't have elite arm strength but you don't need that to be successful in the NFL. His arm is more then good enough for this league.  Tom Bradys arm strength didn't get better, they adjusted the offense from the early years of dinks and dunks to a more vertical style when Moss came in. If Saleh takes White out he's going to Flacco, not Wilson. Wilson has lost the locker room and he's not getting their trust back just bc he cried and gave them an apology that was 3 days too late. Not to mention, his mechanical and processing errors are not being fixed by the end of the year. He has a lot more to work on than just his foot work.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Good points, all valid.

A big test will be this Sunday in Buffalo.

I could be wrong but I’m just thinking that “the light has gone on” for Mike White and coupled with all his hard work over the years and what looks like a skill set that has escalated a few notches….he’ll complete the puzzle for the Jets.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I appreciate you adding your opinion on here.  It's good to hear from a fan of another team.  (Not being sarcastic). 

It's too early to judge MW completely because he's only had 2 games this year.  But if this keeps up, I think teams will definitely want him in FA.  I don't know if extending MW was considered going into this year but it sickens me that the team invested money and 3 starts into Joe Flacco, who was a waste from the very beginning.

I agree with the OP that it will be difficult to bring Zach back this season barring injury.  What Garrett Wilson said and the t-shirts, that would be a major gamble by Saleh. 

I do not disagree with the premise of extending him.  Especially, if he continues to play well.  I just think  the amount of QBs that did nothing for years and then became a Top 10 QB is probably limited to Kurt Warner.  He might be a better QB than Zach now and forever.  That growing WKU pipeline.  Unless a teams goes after Zach, I see him competing for the job next year.

16 hours ago, choon328 said:

The pre draft scouting reports on White were that he had a strong arm.  He doesn't have elite arm strength but you don't need that to be successful in the NFL. His arm is more then good enough for this league.  Tom Bradys arm strength didn't get better, they adjusted the offense from the early years of dinks and dunks to a more vertical style when Moss came in. If Saleh takes White out he's going to Flacco, not Wilson. Wilson has lost the locker room and he's not getting their trust back just bc he cried and gave them an apology that was 3 days too late. Not to mention, his mechanical and processing errors are not being fixed by the end of the year. He has a lot more to work on than just his foot work.

Brady improved his passing by working relentlessly on his footwork, he had a footwork coach he spent a ton of time with in the offseason.  Wilson needs to do this.  But any qb can improve accuracy and velocity by doing this.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Brady improved his passing by working relentlessly on his footwork, he had a footwork coach he spent a ton of time with in the offseason.  Wilson needs to do this.  But any qb can improve accuracy and velocity by doing this.

Anything technique wise can be improved with practice / habit and Wilson is still so young.

But I don’t know how you reign in those hero ball impulses or cure somebody of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome.

22 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Anything technique wise can be improved with practice / habit and Wilson is still so young.

But I don’t know how you reign in those hero ball impulses or cure somebody of Chuck Knoblauch syndrome.

Conditioning. The longer he sits, watches, practices footwork/mechanics obsessively, the more he absorbs his responsibilities as a QB as 2nd nature. 
It’s exactly what White has done in his journey, take the time to develop into a legit NFL QB (took Geno Smith about 8years, Jeff Blake about 3 years).

Wilson is salvageable - a good portion befalls on him to work relentlessly on his technique- but the question is whether the will he still be on the Jets IF he ever does work out his kinks; the talent is undeniable, it’s just the size of the balls between his legs and the one rattling between his ears that need to grow. 

I think JD flips Wilson if he gets an offer too good to refuse 

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

like Zach in the Pittsburgh game. you and many MANY people on this board acted like throwing 28% comp percentage for 3 qts was somehow a good thing cause of 2 good 4th qt drives.

its ok to disagree, this board would be boring if we didnt. lol 

18 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Somebody will take Wilson as a developmental guy and just pay his salary.   The issue is that the Jets have to write off his bonus.  

Looking forward, the Jets can be the team that develops Wilson, if they are willing to let him be backup.  If we extended White for two years Wilson can take over after that, or they can compete and we can franchise the one we like. 

Wilson needs much, much work learning how to be QB.   He is now very behind in his development.  I would like to know, day by day, what he did last offseason.  

But given the damage to the lockerroom maybe Wilson needs a clean start.  Maybe GB will take him.  

21 minutes ago, doitny said:

like Zach in the Pittsburgh game. you and many MANY people on this board acted like throwing 28% comp percentage for 3 qts was somehow a good thing cause of 2 good 4th qt drives.

its ok to disagree, this board would be boring if we didnt. lol 

Jets won the Pittsburg game.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:32 AM, Irish Jet said:

I think White's 100% getting benched unless he plays very well on Sunday - Even a game like yesterday will see Zach come back imo. 

Saleh's had every chance to say we're riding with White indefinitely but every time he has indicated that Zach will be back and it's just a break.

Could see the fans revolting vs The Lions if he comes back in and plays badly. I think they've underestimated how popular White would be. 

No, that's what he's putting out there because that's what Zach/PR need to hear. That's what Rob needs to do at the moment... it's for optics only. The players know. Rob knows. It's White's team now, and Zach is not coming back, barring some calamity of injuries and errors that would be far outside the realm of "losing a couple of games". 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

:-)

I've always been a wins guy.  To me, wins are what's important.   Most fans, particularly on this site, seem to think stats are the reason they play the games.

You had to become a Wins guy because Zach's stats sucked. During the final quarter of last season when his stats went from complete suck to barely suck, you harped on the stats quite a bit.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Conditioning. The longer he sits, watches, practices footwork/mechanics obsessively, the more he absorbs his responsibilities as a QB as 2nd nature. 
It’s exactly what White has done in his journey, take the time to develop into a legit NFL QB (took Geno Smith about 8years, Jeff Blake about 3 years).

Wilson is salvageable - a good portion befalls on him to work relentlessly on his technique- but the question is whether the will he still be on the Jets IF he ever does work out his kinks; the talent is undeniable, it’s just the size of the balls between his legs and the one rattling between his ears that need to grow. 

He was aware of these problems as a rookie, and they were only magnified by the world witnessing White do all the basic things vs CIN (and JJ vs IND) Wilson has been unable to do.

He had an entire offseason to develop, and he came back with zero improvements to his game.

The 1st NE game this season was a virtual carbon copy of his “seeing ghosts” game in ‘21.

If you didn’t know better, you’d think ZW’s favorite target was Devin McCourty.

He’s fundamentally the same player he was as a rookie, except now he’s admittedly broken.   His confidence is shattered.

In the eyes of the locker room and the fans, he’s been neutered.

That’s a lot for anybody to come back from.

I think he’s done as a Jet.  He’ll latch on somewhere else and have to sink or swim without the benefit of the Douglas / Saleh infinite free pass “nothing is ever Zach’s fault” scholarship program.