Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/2022 at 12:00 AM

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would almost be impossible for MW to win the starting job for next year in 2 starts.  The one thing we know for sure, though, is that MW hasn't played himself out of consideration. 

He's been between "very good" to "HOF-worthy" in 3 of his 5 starts. The early returns are that MW looks like a starting QB in this league but JD doesn't need to make any decisions right now.  So stop trying to play passive-aggressive game of "if you really trust him then put your cards on the table right now and say so". 

So let me understand your point.

It's that the performance of these past two games shouldn't be part of the discussion on whether Mike White is the incumbent next year?  I think that's a strange take.

I never said JD has to make a decision now - he has 5 more games..but what he's done these past two weeks should surely be taken into account.  

I never said any of things your pointing to.  I said I can review this week's game as part of the puzzle in determining whether he's the guy.  I have five more games in which to add to that puzzle.  That is all.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

MW has had 5 career starts and finished 4 of them, yet we have to "cut to the chase" and decide right now if he's the guy going forward?  

ZW has had 20 starts, yet many of us (including me) are still not sure either way about him (though the early signs are not good).

This issue is that his contract is up after this season. Sure he can start the rest of the year. Have at it kid. The question comes when you think about paying and committing him next year. 

55 comp %, 0 passing tds despite plenty of red zone attempts, going against a bottom 5ish passing D. This doesn’t scream pay and start me next season. We’ll see how he does against the bills.

id much rather bring in a more established guy. Danny Dimes here we come!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

I voted No only because of a couple of things:

1. I think his lack of arm strength/zip on the ball will hinder him more and more as time goes on. He does make some tight window throws but I think if he had more zip on some, they wouldn't be as "contested" as they were. 

And 2. I'm a Jets fan and don't think good things happen to us lol.

THAT said...yesterday wasn't a bad showing. More than happy to roll with him until something better comes along if it does.

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

This issue is that his contract is up after this season. Sure he can start the rest of the year. Have at it kid. The question comes when you think about paying and committing him next year. 

55 comp %, 0 passing tds despise plenty of red zone attempts, going against a bottom 5ish passing D. This doesn’t scream pay and start me next season. We’ll see how he dies against the bills.

Yes, not only is his contract up...but you also have to make a decision on paying someone like Jimmy G. or Carr $30mm a year.  These are serious decisions that have to be made...

And going 6 of 17 in the red zone is something that should be part of the discussion.  Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of good too - but, IMO, it's a discussion worth having. 

We have 5 more weeks of seeing Mike White - and then the GM is going to have to make a decision.  I really hope Mike White makes it an easy one.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, not only is his contract up...but you also have to make a decision on paying someone like Jimmy G. or Carr $30mm a year.  These are serious decisions that have to be made...

And going 6 of 17 in the red zone is something that should be part of the discussion.  Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of good too - but, IMO, it's a discussion worth having. 

We have 5 more weeks of seeing Mike White - and then the GM is going to have to make a decision.  I really hope Mike White makes it an easy one.

I'll be surprised if Carr leaves LV. They have no1 to go to.

I think its too early to make a definitive statement like this, so I am not voting. If I had to vote, I would vote yes before I would vote no. However, to be a franchise QB you need consistency. He hasnt played enough games to show consistency yet. 

I actually think he has showed better arm strength than I expected, his accuracy has been fantastic for the most part, he has great leadersip qualities, and he reads the defense really well. All of those qualities look like a FQB.

I still the the real test is when he faces some adversity and to see how he responds. Adjustments will be made against him, and he will play better defenses than the Bears and the Vikings pass defense. Before I can declare him a FQB, I need to see how he handles adversity and bounces back from it, but right now looking a lot more like a yes than a no to me

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed. I hope hope he plays well and we make a solid playoff run. If we had a Carr type qb yesterday would have 100% been a win. This is why I’m not committing to white next year. 

next week he’ll play a non bottom 5 D in the bills. Hopefully he steps up to the plate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

White is the best QB on the team as of now   in the mold of Pennington who was an ok QB

Don’t think he will be the QB on the team next year as White will be asking for more money than the Jets are willing to pay him and will let him walk as they don’t seem to truly believe in Whites abilities 

My feeling is, now with Jimmy G hurt ,the Jets will go after Danny Jones at QB (4 years 50 million 17-20 guaranteed structure so he can be cut with minimal cap damage in year 3) , draft a QB in the later rounds (possibly 3rd or 4th) retain Zach as the backup for one more year and see if he can be salvaged to some degree, then traded to get anything in return. Streveler returns to the practice squad

Don’t think Zach is in there long term plans unless there is a remarkable and I mean truly remarkable turnaround which at this time seems highly unlikely 

Really struggle to understand the thought process some of you have.  Mike White will want too much money, but we are going to give 50 million dollars to Daniel Jones?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

People get so fixated on the Patrick Mahommes type of QB.  The Josh Allen types.  The guy who IS the offense instead of seeing the guy we have that runs an offense.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning were not Mahomes or Allen, right?

Start seeing the intangibles that White brings to the team in his game and you will see a guy that can run your offense.

If Mike has a career like Dak Prescott is right now with the Cowboys are Jets fans happy ? Not at the Mahomes, Allen level but a good maybe really good QB.

3 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Really struggle to understand the thought process some of you have.  Mike White will want too much money, but we are going to give 50 million dollars to Daniel Jones?

But you’re not giving him 50 million as you can get out from his contract. And if he performs well 50 million is a bargain at today QB prices 

1 hour ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

I would sign him today to a 3 year 35 million deal with 20 guaranteed 

So would plenty of teams, and he (and his agent) aren’t oblivious to it.

He’s not locking himself in for the next 3 seasons that little today, when he’s in a position to up his dollars further to at least double up on that, and the only way he signs for that little later is if he sucks or injures his right arm/hand.

If a $12MM/yr contract could be had today, he’d already be extended. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Based on Spatrac market value Jones is 25 mil/year. What will white be? 12-20? Heck yea give me Jones. 

Jones is proven to be above average at 25 years old. With his #s he’d be the best qb we’ve seen in a long time and yet people want to stick with MW. What is the thought process? To cheer for the underdog? Screw that give me wins. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Agreed. I hope hope he plays well and we make a solid playoff run. If we had a Carr type qb yesterday would have 100% been a win. This is why I’m not committing to white next year. 

next week he’ll play a non bottom 5 D in the bills. Hopefully he steps up to the plate. 

100%?  How many of Derek Carr's games have you seen?  He has never been money in the bank for a win.  I like Carr and think he would be an upgrade, but I think you are overrating his value a bit.  People talking about Daniel Jones terrify me.  I generally gave him a thumbs down and moved on before his draft, but admit he was better than I expected.  If Dabol can't make anything of him, we don't want him IMO.  I don't bring Daniel Jones in unless I truly believe that Zach WIlson will take the starting job.  I don't.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Mike White sure is easy to root for and I’m hoping he’s the guy, but my doubts increased yesterday because I want a  QB with “it”, and I’m fairly sure that a QB with “it” finds a way to get a TD with all of those opportunities at the end of the game. 

I agree with you, but understand that at this point in time, the Jets have NEVER had a QB since “it” outside of Namath.  Bringing in a vet starter next year won’t provide us with a QB with “it”.  The only way to get “it” is to draft a QB with “it”, something that has never worked for this franchise.

MW has started 4 games.  He should start for this team until it is obviously clear he is holding them back.

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Based on Spatrac market value Jones is 25 mil/year. What will white be? 12-20? Heck yea give me Jones. 

Jones is proven to be above average at 25 years old. With his #s he’d be the best qb we’ve seen in a long time and yet people want to stick with MW. What is the thought process? To cheer for the underdog? Screw that give me wins. 

Daniel Jones is not good and will not give you wins

Way too early to tell. I can't even vote on this.

He's 6 games into his pro career (even if he's been around for a while). He's made some good throws, has limited mistakes. He prefers the dink and dunk, but can make some downfield throws.

Right now, I like what I see. With more tape, the opposing Ds will begin focusing on his weakness. Then we'll see what happens.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Mike White sure is easy to root for and I’m hoping he’s the guy, but my doubts increased yesterday because I want a  QB with “it”, and I’m fairly sure that a QB with “it” finds a way to get a TD with all of those opportunities at the end of the game. 

Braxon Berrios dropping the ball may have something to do with this

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

What is a good qb in your mind? 

65ish comp %? Over a 2:1 td/int ratio? Can run the ball pretty well? That’s Daniel jones. You can win with that. 

Danie Jones has turned the ball over 56 times is 49 starts and throws for roughly 215 yards per game.  I am not paying him over Mike White.  No way

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

What is a good qb in your mind? 

65ish comp %? Over a 2:1 td/int ratio? Can run the ball pretty well? That’s Daniel jones. You can win with that. 

So Daniel Jones under Daboll is the same as under LaFleur?  I guess he looked fairly good under Shurmur and Shula too.  Still, why wouldn't we be getting the guy that played for Joe Judge and Jason Garrett?  That is half his career at 63.5% 21:17.

I would hope that LaFleur, Saleh and Douglas have a better idea of what they want and what they need at this point.  I would also hope that they would be better at judging if a player gave them that when looking at vets with extended NFL game film.  I can almost understand thinking Wilson was worth a chance, but I really do not have much confidence.  Keeping Flacco around smacks of Douglas, but still seems concerning and I just don't think they really want mobility and that is Jones strong suit.

26 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I'll be surprised if Carr leaves LV. They have no1 to go to.

From what I understand the Raiders want to start over.

Carr won't come cheap, probably a #1 plus big money.  Now, if Mike White isn't the guy - I would be more than happy to part with both fo those to get a talent like Carr.  With this D and the weapons - this becomes a super bowl contender.

3 weeks ago, if we had mike white start, we beat new England twice.. now if we have Carr start, we beat Minnesota... what happens if we get carr and he should lose a game?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He’s also not signed after this year so that’s another factor to be considered. Unless we are announcing our franchise QBs for next year before he’s even signed? Again? Oh hell! 

This is an excellent point.

No one with the Jets should be saying anything, at all, about QB for next year till all the administrative things are done.

That includes any QB acquisitions JD may wish to make.

So anyone expecting some anointing, of White, or Zach, you're gonna have to wait a while.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

55 comp %, 0 passing tds despite plenty of red zone attempts, going against a bottom 5ish passing D. This doesn’t scream pay and start me next season. We’ll see how he does against the bills.

Danie Jones has 11TDs in 12 starts with 197 yards passing per game this year, which is one of his best of his career in Daboll's system.  You want to pay him over Mike White?  Lunacy

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Danie Jones has turned the ball over 56 times is 49 starts and throws for roughly 215 yards per game.  I am not paying him over Mike White.  No way

You realize white has 10 interceptions in 5 starts right?

He also had 1500 yards rushing with 9tds. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

This is an excellent point.

No one with the Jets should be saying anything, at all, about QB for next year till all the administrative things are done.

That includes any QB acquisitions JD may wish to make.

So anyone expecting some anointing, of White, or Zach, you're gonna have to wait a while.

I think this is right, publicly.  

They would be stupid to make anything they're thinking public.  With the potential negotiations with White, The Raiders, Jimmy G, The Mustache etc....  Keeping their cards close to the chest is absolutely the right move

But they will, in fact, be making those decisions.  Just because they don't go public with it doesn't mean it's not happening and they're not watching everything very closely.

We, on a Jet Forum, can certainly speculate as to what they're thinking and why.