Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/2022 at 12:00 AM

• The Jets are now among a lot of NFL teams, very of them considered elite, that do no have a QB on the roster who makes them competitive in 2023.   They do have something that many of those teams do not-the right to franchise tag Mike White, for an amount probably in excess of what he is worth.  Probably.  Maybe not depending upon how the rest of the season goes.  
  • Other than Mike White, the Jets do not have the ability to force any QB to play for them.  We talk about Daniel Jones (who the Giants can Franchise), Jimmy G (injured again), etc., but there is no way to ensure that any of those players actually makes it on the Jets.  
  • Giving up draft picks to acquire a QB, who is still likely to be highly paid, would be looney tunes for this team.  
  • The Jets cannot speak to a QB not named Mike White until 3/15/23.   I believe that they would need to exercise the Franchise Tag before then on Mike White. 
  • At some point you have to value work ethic, culture, values and the desire to make money.  Zach Wilson will get his act together.  He will be in this NFL a long time.  Something happened last off season.  I am sure they are working on his plan right now.  Look at Geno Smith.  The Jets can sign him.  The Seahawks can also franchise him.  Remember how we thought we were going to sign Kirk Cousins, who just beat us?  The Redskins franchised him 2x.  Then he refused to play in NY.  
  • The Jets will likely not be drafting in a spot to draft another QB, but they should consider it.  I guess the Steelers are playing with QB they drafted in the middle of the first round.
  • If you asked Mike White and his agent what is price was TODAY for a guaranteed 2 years, what do you think he says?

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Mike White sure is easy to root for and I’m hoping he’s the guy, but my doubts increased yesterday because I want a  QB with “it”, and I’m fairly sure that a QB with “it” finds a way to get a TD with all of those opportunities at the end of the game. 

The Jets needed to scheme a guy open or they needed to run block so their RB's had a chance and they did neither of those things and that's not including the Botched fade by Garrett and the dropped pass by Berrios. None of those things are on the QB, none. he got us there and when we got there the team failed as a whole Offense and Im sure they know that. This loss was not on Mike White nor was the inability to score at the half yard line or within the 5

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets needed to scheme a guy open or they needed to run block so their RB's had a chance and they did neither of those things and that's not including the Botched fade by Garrett and the dropped pass by Berrios. None of those things are on the QB, none. he got us there and when we got there the team failed as a whole Offense and Im sure they know that. This loss was not on Mike White nor was the inability to score at the half yard line or within the 5

The really good QBs find a way. Their WRs don’t get bumped off their patterns or drop catchable balls at crucial times. I don’t know how or why, but it just is. It’s the way it has always been.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This is a 5 game sample, not a one game sample.

we’ll have a much better idea of who he is after next week. Will be he lights out and he’ll help the W? Will he collapse like last year? This is far and away the best D he’s played so far. Going from playing defenses who are in the cellar to a top 5 unit is a major step up. 

Last season is gone.  
Last year he has one bad game. 

I am thinking the next possible NY Jets QB will come from the 2022 daft.

Considering where the Jets will be drafting, from about 15th overall on down, they wont be getting CJ Stroud, Bryce Young or even Will Levis.

I'm already liking Tanner McKee.  Considering he will be the 4th or 5th QB taken in 2023, he will probably be there for the Jets around pick 15 overall to 18. 

That is my very early take on things. 

I see them keeping Wilson through the end of his rookie contract, but he probably wont see the field again unless there is injury to both White and Flacco this year.  He wont even take the field next year unless he really impresses the CS with how he handles things and responds between now and game 1 regular season next year.  

White will be retained as a back-up as long as there are no unreasonable $$$ issues that pop up. 

So... Next year, they go with Tanner McKee, White and Zach.  Stev practice squad or gone. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I last read the Jets WRs led the league. In drops, few made the case for ZW.  For ZW drops were due to accuracy.  
I know this, Giants don’t lead the league in drops and a couple more or fewer drops changes nothing. 

MW does have a better arm.  ZW has a better arm than both, should they roll him?

You are projecting onto white things you wish were true. 

the line is jets +9.5 as of this morning. Make bank bro !!!

The Jets are not wasting their 1st round pick looking for a QB. That I am sure of.

Unless White gets them a playoff win this year, I believe that Zach will battle White for the starting QB job next year. I know alot of people don't want to ever hear Zach Wilson's name again but I think the Jets are going to give him one more shot to take the job back.

White is fine right now. The team believes in him, and they will go to war with him. Unless he goes totally off the rails like Zach did (and I don't think White will) it is White's job right now.

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Stop deflecting. . He is very overrated by the jets fan base. If he bombs against the bills will you still defend him like this?

Deflecting? You’re [pointing to 3 games the first year playing with a team in a state of flux.

Mike White will be judged on how he plays this season.  Fact

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Deflecting? You’re [pointing to 3 games the first year playing with a team in a state of flux.

Mike White will be judged on how he plays this season.  Fact

Very obvious statement. He’s had one good game against a terrible defense, and one meh game against a terrible defense. Let’s see how he does against a good one. 

I voted yes because it was yes or no.  I need more than a few starts to anoint him a franchise QB. 

It is more likely than not given how the team looked these last two starts and - to be fair - whenever he has gotten into the game.  His preseason action against the NY Giants #1s was truly impressive.  Remember, the Strev played the cut pile.  Impressive.  But the cut pile.  Mike White had to take on the Giants' #1s.

In the end, Mike White has to produce.  Time is limited in the NFL and this is his genuine opportunity.  As Coach Saleh said:  "As for Mike White, this is a great opportunity.  And I know he will attack it."

That "opportunity" is under attack.  It is surprised because "opportunity" had been given away to the undeserving . . .   It is not used to being attacked.

I know this much.  The Jets are chock full of young players.  We have a long complicated offensive playbook.  Zack Wilson had too many three and outs.  We would never install the entire offense with him at the helm.  Too few plays and too little execution on those that we did run.

What about the other players?  Do we really want Garrett Wilson to join Elijah Moore and Denzel Mims and demand a trade?  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How does Jones have a better arm, and what has it bought him?  

And then why would the Giants let him walk?

He still fumbles a lot. Maybe slightly less than before but 5 in 8 games still seems like a big issue.

41 fumbles in 49 starts.

1.5 turnovers per game over his career. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Very obvious statement. He’s had one good game against a terrible defense, and one meh game against a terrible defense. Let’s see how he does against a good one. 

But you’re talking about last year.

Last year he never looked like he has in his first two.  Let’s see if he crashes instead of saying he will 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So we are going to evaluate White and determine his entire future based on 7 plays?  If one of the running plays was successful and the Jets won that game, your opinion of White changes?  The OL did not get it done down on the goal line either.  I guess we now know that the OL doesn't it either and it's time to replace all 5 of them if the Jets want to win the SB.  The ridiculous emphasis some on this board place on a single game or a few plays is absurd.  I can find a series like those for every QB who played in the NFL, from Brady to Montana to Mahomes to Burrow.  It's too much of a small sample size to judge White's potential and the sport is too team based to put that on the QB.  Of the 8 plays inside the 5 yard line in the two series at the end of the game (one the White TD and the other stopped on downs), 5 were running plays that failed to get in.  One was incomplete to Moore, one incomplete to Wilson (the fade where it appears Wilson cut off the route too early) and the last one the Berrios drop. How do you honestly evaluate and make a judgement on White's future on those three passes??????

Not passing judgment at all.   As far as I'm concerned he gets the rest of the season and as long as he performs reasonably well and his contact demands are not outrageous I'm bringing him back next year. 

That does not mean in the interim we should not be looking to upgrade.   Good QB sure. Fqb. I guess we'll see. What we don't know at this point is can he score in a phone booth with the game on the line.   What happens when good defenses get film on him and make  adjustments.   

I would like nothing more than for MW to prove he can be that guy. The original question drew a line in the sand and in that case as of now I have my doubts.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Lets make a friendly wager. If White signs for $12 million or more per year, I'll donate $50 to the charity of your choice and if he does not you donate $50 to my charitable choice.

I'm happy to donate regardless of an outcome, but I'm not wagering anything after 2 weeks of him starting.

If he keeps this up yes he's getting >$12MM/yr.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

The DC 'Ders currently do not have a "QB of the Future". 

Heineicke is viewed by the organization here as a stop-gap at best.  Similar situation to MW, actually, except Wentz was a far more proven product than Wilson.

No idea what they might do next year.

OK wasn't sure. Swap GB because I forgot about JL. 

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Why do you think he was better than cousins? To me he certainly was not. He passed more sure that’s because they were down the whole game due to not scoring tds. 

Cousins didn’t need to pass the ball because they were winning. His completion percentage was 6% higher oh and he had a passing td against a much better defense. 

cousins couldn't pass the ball, that is the difference. It wasn't because he didnt need to. The reason we had a chance cause he couldn't pass the ball.

He played much better than cousins.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The really good QBs find a way. Their WRs don’t get bumped off their patterns or drop catchable balls at crucial times. I don’t know how or why, but it just is. It’s the way it has always been.

Well, IMO, the really good ones - don't throw the pass to the guy that got bumped off the line...

Or they don't throw the ball on the back shoulder from five yards away while the receiver is falling to the ground.

Yes, not entirely White's fault. G. Wilson shouldn't get thrown off and BB could have caught it - But you're talking about the really good ones and I agree with you.

I'm sure there are plenty of excuses that can be made and some of them are justified...but I don't think that's the point you're getting at.

I could be wrong though.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm happy to donate regardless of an outcome, but I'm not wagering anything after 2 weeks of him starting.

If he keeps this up yes he's getting >$12MM/yr.

you didn't say "if he keeps it up". You said

If he becomes available, someone's going to be willing to give Mike White more than $12MM/year, yes.

If he has a good final month to the season, not only will that list grow, but so will the amount they're willing to pay to him.

Are you retracting your assertion that some team is going to pay White more than $12 million and now modifying it to be that it will only occur if he "keeps it up"?

I’m not sure Mike White is the long term answer. He is certainly a limited talent but the more the Jets are terrible in their pursuit of the next all-time great, I’m becoming OK with just being good. I think Mike White can be good - we’ll know by the end of the season

The games I have seen have impressed me (not including that awful Buffalo game). He plays confidently and thinks fast. He seems to dump off to the RB as a checkdown way more than he should, but he has shown he can make most passes without much issue.

5 games into his career and I'm feeling pretty good about his chances, but I'm not going to go one way or another. I want to see him face harder defenses and play more games before I create a solid opinion on him. I thought Mike White was worse than Zach before that Patriots game and I was very wrong. I'm not making that mistake again in either direction.

I voted no to see the poll results.

We really don't have enough info to decide this now, do we?  I voted anyway and I voted no.  I think we'll be seeing alot of him... the rest of the season here and then we'll see what Vet they bring in for a 3-way competetion in the spring. Maybe SFO will correct one mistake with another and trade for Zach.  (joking)

1 hour ago, Hex said:

The games I have seen have impressed me (not including that awful Buffalo game). He plays confidently and thinks fast. He seems to dump off to the RB as a checkdown way more than he should, but he has shown he can make most passes without much issue.

5 games into his career and I'm feeling pretty good about his chances, but I'm not going to go one way or another. I want to see him face harder defenses and play more games before I create a solid opinion on him. I thought Mike White was worse than Zach before that Patriots game and I was very wrong. I'm not making that mistake again in either direction.

I voted no to see the poll results.

If Wilson could check down like White, he probably wouldn't be sitting right now.  Wilson doesn't check down and when he does, he misses the RB.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Again. It's ridiculous to put so much weight on two plays.  If Knight ran the ball into the end zone on the stalled drive, White would be the comeback kid today.  When Brady overcame a horrible first half in the Super Bowl vs Atlanta and the Pats won in OT, Brady was given God-like status. Yet the tying and winning TDs were scored on two short James White TD runs.  Brady's passes into the end zone on both drives were either incomplete, drew a penalty, or were almost intercepted.  It's a team game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I am thinking the next possible NY Jets QB will come from the 2022 daft.

Considering where the Jets will be drafting, from about 15th overall on down, they wont be getting CJ Stroud, Bryce Young or even Will Levis.

I'm already liking Tanner McKee.  Considering he will be the 4th or 5th QB taken in 2023, he will probably be there for the Jets around pick 15 overall to 18. 

That is my very early take on things. 

I see them keeping Wilson through the end of his rookie contract, but he probably wont see the field again unless there is injury to both White and Flacco this year.  He wont even take the field next year unless he really impresses the CS with how he handles things and responds between now and game 1 regular season next year.  

White will be retained as a back-up as long as there are no unreasonable $$$ issues that pop up. 

So... Next year, they go with Tanner McKee, White and Zach.  Stev practice squad or gone. 

I think you need to polish up your crystal ball, because that plan is both highly unlikely and pure stupidity.  A three way QB competition between a rookie, a 3rd year player with 20 starts who is not developing, and a free agent with 8-9 career starts?  Not happening.  All that ensures is a circus in preseason and that the Jets have no QB in 2023 with a fractured locker room.

I don't know. What I do know, and maybe it's been said already, is that if Mike White isn't the starter the rest of the season then this franchise deserves what happens. You have a guy playing well, why not let him keep going?  I hate the haste surrounding the idea of replacing Mike White and the very short leash he gets while Zach has literally put up JaMarcus level #'s and people are clamoring for another chance for him. And most of it, whether people admit it or not, is based on draft position. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Again. It's ridiculous to put so much weight on two plays.  If Knight ran the ball into the end zone on the stalled drive, White would be the comeback kid today.  When Brady overcame a horrible first half in the Super Bowl vs Atlanta and the Pats won in OT, Brady was given God-like status. Yet the tying and winning TDs were scored on two short James White TD runs.  Brady's passes into the end zone on both drives were either incomplete, drew a penalty, or were almost intercepted.  It's a team game.

I get that it sounds stupid but winners find a way to win. The close one’s don’t slip through their grasps. And if you think about it, the game should not have been close.

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think you need to polish up your crystal ball, because that plan is both highly unlikely and pure stupidity.  A three way QB competition between a rookie, a 3rd year player with 20 starts who is not developing, and a free agent with 8-9 career starts?  Not happening.  All that ensures is a circus in preseason and that the Jets have no QB in 2023 with a fractured locker room.

All things being equal I agree.  The difference here is that I am sure JD wont let Wilson go until his rookie contract is over.  White may be gone... I dont know.  What I know for sure is that the 2023 starter is not on the roster now.  And, I think the draft is the right place to go.