Who Gets The Most Blame For The Loss To The Vikings ???

THE BARON

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who Gets The Most Blame For The Loss To The Vikings ???

• Mike LeFleur. Multiple Trips To The Red Zone And Could Not Come Up With A Play To Score a TD.
    • Saleh - Going For It On 4th Down And Giving The Vikings A Short Field & Easy 3 Points. That Could Have Been The Difference.
    • Mike White - Although He Had Good Yardage Numbers, He Missed Multiple Open Pass Catchers
    • Berrios - He Had The Wining TD In *BOTH* Hands. He Lost The Game.
    • The Officiating Crew - Multiple Obvious Non-Calls That Could Have Made A Big Difference.

16 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Le fail 

My feeling also, but he did call plays that got them in the red zone multiple times.  I have to give some credit for that, but he really stepped on his own pecker every single time they got to the red zone.  Does he lose his sense of reasoning in the clutch ??? He got "cute" with a few play calls in the red zone, but he didn't get very creative.  Some things he could have done.

1. Line up with a spread set and give the ball to Robinson as he is well known for finding the end zone.

2. Go super heavy and counter gap/treay with their fastest ball carrier.

3.  RPO Pro set with two backs and QB going to the right and pass catchers to the left.  Two backs can pick off blockers and give the QB option to run it in or pass to the left.

4. Line un in a tight two TE set showing run and throw the ball. 

Those are all classic goal line calls.  You see them every week.  I'm wondering why LeFleur was either cute at times or predictable at others ??? I can understand missing it once or twice in the red zone, but six times ??? Any other OC in the league would have scored in half of those red zone trips.  This was just an awful job by MLF

• Upvote 1

Just now, KRL said:

The defense in the frist half had their worst performance since the CIN game.  That
put the team into a 20-6 hole, they gave up too many 3rd down conversions and got
burned by that bust Raegor for a 30+ yard completion.  They bounced back to their
standard in the second half but people are glossing over the part they played in
the loss.  The only person who was beyond blame yesterday was Zuerlein  

I said this in the game thread, but part of me would have probably just let Zuerlein kick a FG to make it 27-25 and then stop the Vikings 3 and out and get the ball back with just needing a FG to win it. 

Jets were able to get yards between the 20's in the 2nd half at ease, they just couldn't execute in the red zone. 

As for this thread, a combo between MLF and Berrios for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Berrios I suppose but some of these gambles make little sense lets gamble on our side of the 50 or at the 50 without a second thought, lets kick all field goals if we are closer and never gamble.  I think we finally have a good enough defense to punt the ball from midfield.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

The defense in the frist half had their worst performance since the CIN game.  That
put the team into a 20-6 hole, they gave up too many 3rd down conversions and got
burned by that bust Raegor for a 30+ yard completion.  They bounced back to their
standard in the second half but people are glossing over the part they played in

Greg The Leg was heroic.  I was sooo hoping they would pull it out at the end so we could all give GZ the MVP honors. He still gets them in my book.  It is a HUGE advantage for a team to have a superb kicker.  He gonna be the hero in games to come.  Perhaps playoffs...

I dont think the defense was lacking in effort the first half.  The Vikes did things the Jets were not expecting, I think They adjusted at half time, but should have adjusted after the 1st qtr.  But then again, WTF do I know... 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, the Claw said:

I don’t think there is one thing that was more responsible than the others. There were about a half dozen reasons, at least,  why the Jets lost and still they were only one throw/drop away from beating a SB contender. 

I don’t get the blame game today. 

☝️

Two reasons we lost this game, imo.

We could not get off the field on 3rd down in the first half.  Vikes were 6 for 7 on 3rd down on the back to back TD drives.  And the only 3rd down stop was followed by a 4th down conversion.  DBs were playing 8 to 10 yards off the line on multiple 3rd and shorts and made it easy for Cousins to convert and keep drives alive.  Those two drives put us in a hole, that we could not get out of, despite a really good 2nd half from the D because of reason 2:

Red zone offense.   Not sure who shoulders the blame for this one: Lafleur, White, Berrios, OL, Fant penalty, but we were compeltely inept in the red zone all day.  Need a DPI to give us first and goal at the 4, and even then we needed 4 plays and a review to score a TD.  NOt going to winmany games going 1 for 6 in the redzone.  Offense was fine between the 20s, but you have to get in more than once when you are down there 6 times.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

My disappointment in the first half is that Ulbrich and Saleh went back to their off coverage mode which just allows people to eat our defense alive. Our defense thrives on being aggressive with man and matchup zone yet it is just not the comfort zone for our coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

No one person should get the blame. The Jets played hard and turned this into a dog fight. They came up just short. Sometimes, that is how the cookie crumbles.  

This was a tough opponent. It seemed like the 'questionable' Vikings defense felt disrespected and played really well.

BUT- If I absolutely HAVE to blame one person it would be Berrios. He is a veteran and his number was called in the most critical spot. Mike White got the ball in his hands, put it right on the button, and Berrios could not catch it. I know its a tough catch to make, I know the defender is right there, but that is the game right there. You make it- you get all the glory, you drop it, well, its on you. At that point in the game, nothing that happened previously really matters. You just have to make that catch.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I say LeFleur.  Multiple trips to the end zone and he cant come up with play calling to score a TD against a questionable defense.  That wasn't the 85 Bears out there. 

Except for all the misses in the EZ he came with a play that worked.  Berrios dropped it though.

They lost a game to a 9-2 team and had a chance for a win in the closing moment.  But we need to blame someone to feel better.  Great

It was a team loss, but I picked Berrios for two big mistakes.

The drop was bad. But his reversing field on the screen inside the 10 in the 3rd Q is the reason for the block in the back penalty that killed any chance at a TD on that first drive of the 2nd half.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I say LeFleur.  Multiple trips to the end zone and he cant come up with play calling to score a TD against a questionable defense.  That wasn't the 85 Bears out there. 

shouldn't you say Zach?  He didn't wear a MW shirt and see what happened

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except for all the misses in the EZ he came with a play that worked.  Berrios dropped it though.

They lost a game to a 9-2 team and had a chance for a win in the closing moment.  But we need to blame someone to feel better.  Great

As soon as people are satisfied with a loss it is time to call it a career.  That goes just as well to anyone that is satisfied with a win.  There is always something in your routine that needs to be improved.  

• More Ugh 1

This was a team loss. The biggest factor in the game was that the Vikings scored touchdowns when they got to the redzone and we kicked field goals. The offense and defense were both bad in the first half. Obviously, the drop was crushing. 

Other than that, we outgained them badly from scrimmage and played a strong second half. We just came up 1 yard short. 

Peet Peeves:  I hated the call on 3rd and goal at the end of the game and we have been iffy in short yardage situations all season. 

I voted MiLF.  I realize that the CS knows a heck of a lot more than I do but when I still think he got way too cute in the Red Zone, especially at the 1 yard line.

I'm not going to blame the defense too much because they've earned enough credibility that I'll trust that the Vikings offense was tough to stop.  And I'll praise them for the 2nd half they played (despite the TD they allowed).  Credit to Saleh/Ulbrich for the halftime adjustments there.

I do think Saleh made a big mistake going on 4th down in our own territory.  That cost us 3 critical points.

Berrios had the ball in his hands but couldn't secure the ball.  It wasn't an easy play but he had a chance there but didn't come through.

I'm not going to get too caught up in the officiating.

And Mike White was excellent and deserves no blame.  He slightly overthrew an open GW for what could've been a TD but holding a guy to a standard of "perfection" is ridiculous.  It's not like he overthrew it by 5 yards.  It hit GW's fingertips.

For the second straight week the Defense came out slow. The couldn't get off the field on third down or get to Cousins in the first half. Gave up a big play to Theilen late and Reed got lulled to sleep on the Jefferson TD.

They need to get back to where they were a few weeks ago. I am not totally killing them but the D has been a little off the last two weeks.