Tyler Conklin

20 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Fumbles, drops, and the horrible angle in the punt return against the Pats.

Very very underwhelming player, maybe time to give the young guy a chance?

Weird thing is that his reputation had been of having some of the surest hands in the NFL

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SteveMiller said:

He can make some plays here and there but definietly has too many drops. I would not be opposed at all to using our first round pick on a TE if there are any potential difference makers out there. Would take the offense to the next level.

Would rather see what we have with Ruckert first.  Plus there are plenty of other needs that can be addressed with that pick.  LB, S, OL.  

But yeah, the idea of having an actual threat at TE is pretty enticing.  Just don't think I'd invest a 1st(yet).  Would rather draft a guy like Trenton Simpson and continue building up this defense.  We definitely need some youth there at the 2nd level, and a guy who we can rely on to actually make tackles.  

As far as the OP goes, I don't see any downside for benching Conklin in favor of Ruckert.  Bump Uzomah up to TE1, who IMO has been a better receiving TE than Conklin anyway.  Let Ruckert get some actual game experience in a lower-stress role.  I don't see the downside. 

• Upvote 4

Both TEs and their place, in our offense has been very disappointing to me.  One of the few parts of the team that has been a big disappointment. 

At the start of the year I thought we went from 0 TE's to three decent ones.  Not sure why Ruckert has been such a non factor.

We should try and trade for Pitts from Atlanta next off season.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Would rather see what we have with Ruckert first.  Plus there are plenty of other needs that can be addressed with that pick.  LB, S, OL.  

But yeah, the idea of having an actual threat at TE is pretty enticing.  Just don't think I'd invest a 1st(yet).  Would rather draft a guy like Trenton Simpson and continue building up this defense.  We definitely need some youth there at the 2nd level, and a guy who we can rely on to actually make tackles.  

As far as the OP goes, I don't see any downside for benching Conklin in favor of Ruckert.  Bump Uzomah up to TE1, who IMO has been a better receiving TE than Conklin anyway.  Let Ruckert get some actual game experience in a lower-stress role.  I don't see the downside. 

I get the trepidation with taking a first round tight end, the track record is absolutely brutal, but the track record of first round off ball linebackers isn’t much better.

Some of the first round guys at both spots are interesting but better to stick to premium positions in the first and look at stuff like TE and off ball LB day two. Can still get really high end guys at those positions in the second or third round.

• Upvote 1

Still the best TE on the team. He was 3 for 3 with 50 yards in his last game (Bears). Had a particularly bad game against the Vikings. Struggles with some drops. But a lot of them are tough passes as well. I think he's put the fumbilitus behind him.

With Conklin you take the good with the bad. CJ is not a better player than Conklin and Ruckert is clearly not ready or he wouldn't be riding pine all season. BTW- his one opportunity was a dropped pass. 

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek 

42 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Still the best TE on the team. He was 3 for 3 with 50 yards in his last game (Bears). Had a particularly bad game against the Vikings. Struggles with some drops. But a lot of them are tough passes as well. I think he's put the fumbilitus behind him.

With Conklin you take the good with the bad. CJ is not a better player than Conklin and Ruckert is clearly not ready or he wouldn't be riding pine all season. BTW- his one opportunity was a dropped pass. 

Oh damn, in that case....close the book.  It's a wrap. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

ahhh no, on the "clearly Ruckert" end of this post. You just paid 2 TEs... clearly, they're going to play over the rookie, barring bad games like this. 

Personally, i think they're a bit redundant, and neither is really adding wrinkles to the offense. Conklin has been OK to good, but I want more from the position. our TEs should have at least 2-3 TDs in a game like yesterday. Neither moved off the line with a ton of nimbleness tbh when I paid attention. 

Last year Conklin had 61 catches for 593 yards and 3 TDs across 17 games. 9.7 yard avg.

This year he's had 40 catches for 390 yards and 3 TDs across 12 games. 9.8 yard avg.

He's pretty much been "as advertised" - no more, no less.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Don't believe they trust him with the blocking yet, Uzomah and Conklin have a big part of the blocking scheme. Rookies have been a spark plug for this team...

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

yesterday's bad outwweighed any and all good.  He was a major contributor to ruining the Jets chances.  Next.

Saleh said prior to last week’s game that Ruckert is still getting his legs under him but I do think he will be a good player for us. He looked good in preseason against backups and once he is ready I think he will look good against starters too. 

5 hours ago, SteveMiller said:

He can make some plays here and there but definietly has too many drops. I would not be opposed at all to using our first round pick on a TE if there are any potential difference makers out there. Would take the offense to the next level.

Not a Ruckert fan? 

6 hours ago, Jets Things said:

He had three passes hit his hands. I get that everyone has a bad game, but any receiver - WR, RB, or TE - with three drops should be yanked. 

7 targets, 2 catches for Conklin yesterday. He’s so weak at the catch point for a dude his size. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

ahhh no, on the "clearly Ruckert" end of this post. You just paid 2 TEs... clearly, they're going to play over the rookie, barring bad games like this. 

Personally, i think they're a bit redundant, and neither is really adding wrinkles to the offense. Conklin has been OK to good, but I want more from the position. our TEs should have at least 2-3 TDs in a game like yesterday. Neither moved off the line with a ton of nimbleness tbh when I paid attention. 

Your take is that Conklin and Uzomah are playing over Ruckert because of their contracts?  I think they would like nothing more than for Ruckert to take that spot.  He played a bunch of snaps against the Browns and had a pretty bad drop.  Not a didn't catch a ball that hit his hands, but an obvious drop.  He seemed to fall out of favor and I guess Uzomah missed the Browns game.  Ruckert played a few snaps on O vs. Miami and Chicago.  I think they still plan to have Ruckert work in, but I just don't think he has been setting the world on fire.  If he were ready they certainly would not have been playing Cager over him in the opener. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your take is that Conklin and Uzomah are playing over Ruckert because of their contracts?  I think they would like nothing more than for Ruckert to take that spot.  He played a bunch of snaps against the Browns and had a pretty bad drop.  Not a didn't catch a ball that hit his hands, but an obvious drop.  He seemed to fall out of favor and I guess Uzomah missed the Browns game.  Ruckert played a few snaps on O vs. Miami and Chicago.  I think they still plan to have Ruckert work in, but I just don't think he has been setting the world on fire.  If he were ready they certainly would not have been playing Cager over him in the opener. 

He was recovering from an injury that cost him the majority of the offseason... so, not shocking he wasn't out there over Cager. 

Agree to disagree, on Conklin and Uzomah being people the staff would love nothing more than to see leapfrogged by your rookie TE. Why did we even sign them if we can't wait for them to be overtaken. Makes no sense.

I'm not saying Ruckert has set anything on fire... just that any narrative about Jeremy "struggling" to assert himself is garbage. "oh he had a drop!" Well, i guess we should throw in the towel and burn him at the stake then.