Tyler Conklin

Just now, Paradis said:

He was recovering from an injury that cost him the majority of the offseason... so, not shocking he wasn't out there over Cager. 

Agree to disagree, on Conklin and Uzomah being people the staff would love nothing more than to see leapfrogged by your rookie TE. Why did we even sign if we can't wait for them to overtaken. Makes no sense.

I'm not saying Ruckert has set anything on fire... just that any narrative about Jeremy "struggling" to assert himself is garbage. "oh he had a drop!" Well, i guess we should throw in the towel and burn him at the stake then. 

Fair enough, but they sign these guys before the draft.  You sign guys to fill your roster and then draft the guys you want.  His drop was pretty bad.  Bad enough that I still think about it, compounded by the fact that he hasn't had another target.  I think they will sneak him in games until he gets another one.  Target not drop.

Ruckert is the kind of guy I generally write off (I'm not) because he seemed NFL ready coming from a big program and then doesn't actually seem ready.  I am usually wrong about that - I remember thinking Pouha was worthless since he was an older prospect that wasn't getting it done early on.  Then he hit 30 and Rex came on board and he was suddenly a key contributor.  I guess Ruckert is also still a couple of years younger than Cager and Yeboah.

*When I say I write them off, I don't mean I want to cut them.  I just lower my expectations drastically.  That might not seem like much, but I am a guy that had expectations for Clyde Gates and Jeff Cumberland.

• Upvote 2

I liked the Ruckert pick but man I really would have loved if we had went for Jelani Woods.  Not just for this season, but he looks he is going to be a problem for years to come.  Lets hope can get some PT this year so we can see if we need to take another TE (mid rounds) in next years draft; in fact we should probably take one anyway.   You can't have enough quality TEs

• Upvote 1

Great #2 tight end.

Average starting tight end.

TE should definitely be a need in the offseason unless they really believe Ruckert is the answer. 

It's part of the reason the Jets dont have a good redzone strategy. They lack that big physical receiveing tight end. 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:29 PM, FidelioJet said:

He seems to get open - but it also seems like the balls have to be perfectly thrown.  He doesn't seem to be able to come down with anything if it's not exactly in the right spot.  

I like his speed and athleticism though.

Ball hits him in both hands.

”It should have been perfectly thrown.”

No Way Romano GIF by TV Land

He will be good next year.  Not sure why there is a burp in his development, he showed really good blocking and receiving imo but then again it might be our ohio state curse.  We hit on Mangold and Garret Wilson and then had The boar hunter, Darron Lee, Devin Smith, Vernon Gholston. Mike Nugent

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's 14th among NFL TEs in yards. Not sure what some of you were expecting from a guy that was never considered an elite TE,  playing with one QB all of you think sucks and the other QB is a journeyman.

I was hoping he drop less balls and not get all his yards in garbage time basically. 

On 12/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, bitonti said:

if Tyler Conklin was so darn amazing they wouldn't have drafted Ruckert in the 3rd round 

the thing is Ruckert missed the offseason and TC with an injury and might need this redshirt year 

Ruckert was active Sunday, was not a factor.

Pure speculation, the coaches know this better; Carter's failure to pick up blitzes may factor in here going forward, if Ruckert can fill the h-back role. And Ruckert played with force at OSU with Garrett Wilson. Readily admit; this is one guy talking out his...., grasping at straws because think this kid's career at Ohio State was very promising(and being a local kid and his dad being a LI Jets fan). 

I was okay with drafting Ruckert but I really preferred either Jelani Woods or Isiah Likely.  Not sure if they were still on the board, but if they were, I might have gone that route.
I know Jets would have lost their minds if we took another TE other than Ruckert but
Woods is already looking like a beast and Likely is also contributing and looks like a player.   

I hope Ruckert gets an opportunity this year but seeing how they are in a playoff push,  Saleh will probably stay with his vets unless there is an injury.  Lets hope he can show out next year.  I would not be adverse to drafting another TE in the Middle rounds.   

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Ruckert was active Sunday, was not a factor.

Pure speculation, the coaches know this better; Carter's failure to pick up blitzes may factor in here going forward, if Ruckert can fill the h-back role. And Ruckert played with force at OSU with Garrett Wilson. Readily admit; this is one guy talking out his...., grasping at straws because think this kid's career at Ohio State was very promising(and being a local kid and his dad being a LI Jets fan). 

was carter failing to pickup blitzes?

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I was hoping he drop less balls and not get all his yards in garbage time basically. 

Conklin had a case of the drops with Minnesota. He is what he is. There are like 4 or 5 good NFL tight ends. 

With his flaws and CJs, they are still a huge upgrade over what they had last year. And unless Kelce, Kittle or Andrew's were made available you aren't going to get much better in free agency 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Conklin had a case of the drops with Minnesota. He is what he is. There are like 4 or 5 good NFL tight ends. 

With his flaws and CJs, they are still a huge upgrade over what they had last year. And unless Kelce, Kittle or Andrew's were made available you aren't going to get much better in free agency 

Here is my partial list of better TE's in the league, it extends past Kelce Kittle and Andrews. Criteria is TE's that if targets will catch and can also be a advantage over our TE's due either to skill or natural talent. TO your point of FA I guess you are right I do not know what is out there. But the original intent of paying and bringing those TE's in was for our team to be able to use the Two TE sets and take advantage of mismatches. That has not happened every time we dial it up they fail to bring the ball in over and over. a complete failure. I wish there were better.

Foster Moreau
Mark Andrews
George Kittle
Dawson Knox
T.J. Hockinson
David Njoku
Dalton Schultz
Evan Engram
Travis Kelce
Tyler Higbee
Greg Dulcich
Jordan Akins