G Wilson's ceiling

4 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

#88 Al Toon and #13 Don Maynard are the Greatest Jets WRs.

#87 Laverneus Coles was better than #19 Keyshawn - Just as tough, exceptional blocker, MORE clutch, and 10x faster downfield speed that wasn’t exploited by Pop-gun #10 Pennington; Keyshawn had Cannon-armed Vinny.

#89 Cotchery was the last WR that was also a Football player drafted by the Jets in 2004.

GARRET WILSON SHALL SURPASS THEM ALL!!!!!

***interesting and kinda funny how Jets fan have kinda scrubbed off #17 Braylon Edwards and #10 Santonio Holmes from Jets lore and memory; both were game breakers with clutch game-winning receptions/TDs. 

LOVED Braylon. Letting him go was the beginning of the end of that run 

HATED Holmes. resigning him was the next HUGE mistake to bring down that era 

When a guy like Cotchery asks out you know something's up. Solid player even better man 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

and Toon.  And Maynard

If you look at how these players stacked up next to their contemporaries, how their careers stacked up Maynard is easily the best of the best.

Loved Walkers crazy production and Toon. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wesley Walker is one of if not the most underrated player in the history of the game.  He never caught high volume of passes, but he was a big play machine.  438 receptions, 71 for TDs.  Almost 1 TD catch for every 6 receptions.

There are 6 guys all time who averaged over 18 yards per reception and have over 70 TDs and over 8,000 receiving yards.  Wesley Walker is one of them.  4 of the other 5 guys are in the HOF (Maynard, Lofton, Alworth and Warfield).  The only other guy not in the Hall is Stanley Morgan. 

Walker was not only a great Jet.  He was a great player, but he is so often overlooked, even by Jet fans.

13 seasons, over 8,000 yards and 19 per catch for his career.  Back to back seasons of 24+ per catch.  Unreal what he would be able to do in todays game, all the freedom QBs have, the way you can’t touch a WR.  He would be unstoppable. 

• Upvote 1

He is so naturally talented. In High School a college football scout said his body jukes and head shakes, along with his body control, made him the #1 HS receiver. 

Add his work ethic and maturity to his natural talent . . . All I can think of is Jerry Rice . . . but Jerry Rice never had the speed . . . 

I think Justin Jefferson and Garett Wilson are going to take the NFL by storm the next 10 years. JJ already is of course. 

5 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

#87 Laverneus Coles was better than #19 Keyshawn - Just as tough, exceptional blocker, MORE clutch, and 10x faster downfield speed that wasn’t exploited by Pop-gun #10 Pennington; Keyshawn had Cannon-armed Vinny.

#89 Cotchery was the last WR that was also a Football player drafted by the Jets in 2004.

***interesting and kinda funny how Jets fan have kinda scrubbed off #17 Braylon Edwards and #10 Santonio Holmes from Jets lore and memory; both were game breakers with clutch game-winning receptions/TDs. 

No respect for Wesley Walker?

11 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

For me the best were Walker and Toon.    I think the reason Edwards and Holmes get scrubbed as you say is because they were rentals and not home grown

4 hours ago, pajet said:

For me the best were Walker and Toon.    I think the reason Edwards and Holmes get scrubbed as you say is because they were rentals and not home grown

More because B Edwards and S Holmes were nowhere as good as the other receivers who were longer termed Jets and produced more because of it.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Can this guy reach the level of the Diggs', Hill's and Jefferson's of the league?  It certainly appears so, especially now that we have a QB who looks like he can consistently get him the ball.

I started watching RIGHT after the Keyshawn days...consistently, at least.  I have vague memories of Key and Chrebet making plays as Jets, but for the most part Coles and Santana Moss are the guys I remember when thinking back to when I first started really following the team.  As far as I can remember, Wilson already appears to be the most dangerous/consistent/explosive WR that I can remember in my lifetime.  Is it safe to say he looks like the best WR we've had since Keyshawn?  

Through The Roof Bitcoin GIF by Bitstamp

Pretty crazy the Adams trade essentially got us AVT and Wilson.  Not bad, IMO. 

I remember being in favor of JJ at #10 at the time of the draft, since I thought Moore's emergence meant we could wait and take a receiver a bit later.  Glad it was JD making those picks and not me.  Wilson is clearly a tier above and something we were definitely missing.  

Yes. Wilson can definitely reach the level of Diggs and Jefferson. No doubt at all in my mind. 

HOF guys like Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson who have done it for years, consistently with different weapons complementing them...TBD. Certainly Wilson COULD do that. But its something you need to prove over time. He would need to stay healthy, hungry, and to an extent have some luck.  

17 hours ago, k-met57 said:

the jets have never had anyone as dynamic as him (i was born in 80). even Moss was more of a Ted Ginn + type of a player. Key was good, but more of a possession receiver most of the time. you cant discount the rule changes....but he is better than all of them probably already.

Al Toon says hello

19 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Can this guy reach the level of the Diggs', Hill's and Jefferson's of the league?  It certainly appears so, especially now that we have a QB who looks like he can consistently get him the ball.

I started watching RIGHT after the Keyshawn days...consistently, at least.  I have vague memories of Key and Chrebet making plays as Jets, but for the most part Coles and Santana Moss are the guys I remember when thinking back to when I first started really following the team.  As far as I can remember, Wilson already appears to be the most dangerous/consistent/explosive WR that I can remember in my lifetime.  Is it safe to say he looks like the best WR we've had since Keyshawn?  

He's far better as a rookie than Key was. Key was possibly the most pedestrian  rook WR we ever had. 

42 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Pretty crazy the Adams trade essentially got us AVT and Wilson.  Not bad, IMO. 

I remember being in favor of JJ at #10 at the time of the draft, since I thought Moore's emergence meant we could wait and take a receiver a bit later.  Glad it was JD making those picks and not me.  Wilson is clearly a tier above and something we were definitely missing.  

i wanted Garrett Wilson so bad i wanted to pick him at 4 cause i was afraid someone would trade up in front of us to get him at 8-9. but then we wouldn't have Sauce, im glad i wasn't making the picks either ?

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

LOVED Braylon. Letting him go was the beginning of the end of that run 

HATED Holmes. resigning him was the next HUGE mistake to bring down that era 

When a guy like Cotchery asks out you know something's up. Solid player even better man 

Braylon is what I wish Corey Davis was. He should've beasted his way into the endzone at the end of that long catch like Braylon did!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

When you talk about great Jets, I think about guys who spent most of their careers here.  These guys each had maybe 2 or 3 full seasons as Jets.  A couple of those seasons were a lot of fun, and each guy had big moments for sure, but I don't consider either guy as a "great Jet."

If Wilson stays healthy he will be a 1200 to 1500 yard WR every year with double digit TD's on a team that wants to run the ball. With Hall coming back next year and the talent we have in the RB room you will certainly see less passes to the WR's so that can eat into the numbers but I'm sure you will see some amazing chain moving receptions from him which is really the most important part of playing offense not the amount of stats you can compile.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Toon and Walker were a great 1-2 punch. 

now thinking about it with McNeil, Shuler and that defense we really missed out on our chance at a SB in the 80s.

On paper, the 80s Jets were one of the biggest underachieving teams in New York sports history. Simply not enough playoff appearances for all that talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Why do we have to do this all the time?

Can't we just enjoy the fact that we apparently struck gold with this guy.

Garrett Wilson's ceiling is Garett Wilson.

Isn’t this thread just that: enjoying we struck gold?  Getting excited about one of our young players’ potential?  

It’s a message board, man. What should we talk about?  I’d like to learn the rules. 

15 hours ago, Lith said:

Wesley Walker is one of if not the most underrated player in the history of the game.  He never caught high volume of passes, but he was a big play machine.  438 receptions, 71 for TDs.  Almost 1 TD catch for every 6 receptions.

There are 6 guys all time who averaged over 18 yards per reception and have over 70 TDs and over 8,000 receiving yards.  Wesley Walker is one of them.  4 of the other 5 guys are in the HOF (Maynard, Lofton, Alworth and Warfield).  The only other guy not in the Hall is Stanley Morgan. 

Walker was not only a great Jet.  He was a great player, but he is so often overlooked, even by Jet fans.

When I started reading your list I immediately thought that Stanley Morgan must be on it.  I did not even realize he was not in the Hall.