White to Start against Buf

kevinc855

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Hall masked Wilson’s problems to an extent.  But they’re running now b/c the qb is killing teams in the air. 

are they "running"? because they couldn't run a lick in the first half vs a bad vikings run defense, and then couldn't punch it in over and over in the red zone. the jets do not have a look of a team that can run the ball when the other team knows they may be running right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

With every passing week...

It becomes more obvious...

This is Mike White's team now...

Any other subsitution for him (other than for injury) would cause a mutiny...

Garrett Wilson just had the 3rd best game by a Jet rookie WR. Moore is getting targets. i thought Uzamah was benched cause he never even got targets before.

yeah this is Mike Whites team. they would munity if they brought back Zach.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Should also be noted that LaFleur has wasted no time opening up the offense with White. Nate Tice pointed out that the Jets were among the top three teams this week in using 11 personnel (one back, one TE). The other two teams: the Chiefs and the Chargers. Mike White isn’t a franchise QB, but he’s running a franchise QB offense. 

the jets aren't winning many games by throwing it 57 times. they do that against Buffalo and its a 34-10 game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We got a second and fourth for Darnold....

Some team may think they can fix him and offer a good pick or two up. JD will pull the trigger if he feels White is good enough. 

and both the HC and OC got fired for it. besides we were a joke then. teams thought players sucked because they were Jets. now our PS guys like Bam step right in and get 100 yd games. i think teams are more believing us when we get rid of a player that he sucks.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They don;t want Zac Wilson to threaten Mike Whites status as the starter.

Jets QB strategy always have the worst QB on the roster as your backup so you wont have any threat to the starter?

If true, Zach would be #2.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

the jets aren't winning many games by throwing it 57 times. they do that against Buffalo and its a 34-10 game.

IMO, the problem with the offense yesterday is that they were running a bunch of play action with three wide and Minnesota wasn’t biting on it. If you take away Bam Knight’s one long run, the Jets only averaged 3.7 ypc on the day, and that included a ten-yard end-around to Elijah Moore. Agreed that if they can’t run the ball better, Buffalo will murder them.

Mike White was a backup.  So was Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Patrick Majomes, Jimmy Garapalo, the list goes on and on.  Now he is a starter.  And a damn good one at that from what I see with my eyes.  He's 6' 5", takes a hit, makes the reads and makes the throws.  There are passes he makes that the #2 overall starter before him wouldn't see let alone dare to attempt.  I'm on board the Mike elfin White train and ready to roll with him the rest of this season and beyond.  The man has played in 6 games and is breaking records.  Not sure what others are seeing but that 4th and 10 strike one play after getting blasted is all I needed to say.  Not a lot of guys would've pulled that one off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It sounds like Zach is just mentally shot at the moment. John Beck came to the facility last week to do some triage and his takeaways were oddly morose, imo:

"This is something that’s going to be a tough one for him, to go out on the field and not be the guy, but I think a lot of growth can happen," Beck told ESPN.

[…]With Zach, there’s an opportunity for growth to come in a bunch of different areas in his game," Beck said. "I think he can grow mentally from this, he can grow physically from this and I think he can grow in terms of his perspective. Ultimately, I think that’s one of the biggest things that can come from this -- a paradigm shift in the way he’s seeing things, the way he’s handling certain things."

For now, Wilson toils in the Jets' version of QB rehab, hoping to regain his job. "Sometimes," Beck said, "a breakthrough can only happen after a breakdown."

they called John Beck back to check on Zach? wow this kid is really a mess. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the problem with the offense yesterday is that they were running a bunch of play action with three wide and Minnesota wasn’t biting on it. If you take away Bam Knight’s one long run, the Jets only averaged 3.7 ypc on the day, and that included a ten-yard end-around to Elijah Moore. Agreed that if they can’t run the ball better, Buffalo will murder them.

exactly right. i am cautiously optimistic about Knight playing well enough for us rest of the way, but i watched the game yesterday and the run game was ineffective most of it. let's hope they can do better next week.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You listed them as proof and included Nick ******* Foles.  If you want me picking apples, don't leave the cherries out.  Don't blame me for your post.  Kaepernick, Garoppolo, Goff and Cam Newton have been in the Super Bowl this decade.  Guys like Matt Ryan and Stafford were seen as guys that couldn't win. 

Keep banging that drum.  Not sure how Mike White became a "game manager."  If anything his main drawback is too many picks.  The guy is putting up 335 per in games he starts and finishes.  Hell, he didn't even finish the Bills game.  That doesn't sound like a mere game manager to me. I remember when sh*tty early games were okay because Peyton threw all those interceptions as a rookie.  Now, all of a sudden, that is a huge issue.

It seems as if you have missed the larger point.  In the contemporary NFL, passing wins and teams with excellent QB's stand a MUCH better chance of winning, especially in the playoffs against good teams.  Don't you think it is a good strategy to take measures to improve your chances of winning ??? If the answer is yes, they one should not be satisfied with a limited QB. 

No rocket science here. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

Saleh “this year is all about Zach, I never considered benching him “

”the plan is for Zach to play again this year”

”Moore left practice for personal reasons “

this guy is so full of sh*t. I don’t believe anything he says lol. 

hey everyone that thinks white is a franchisee QB, Vegas doesn’t. Make Vegas pay !  Line is jets +9.5

What gives the media the right to have any in house conversations outed for public consumption? 

Okay he’s been full of s**t about a few topics to the media, so what? Why do they deserve his true thoughts at that exact moment? What good does that serve the team?

I want my coach to have the trust and respect of the locker room as a whole. Not cater to clickbait chasers. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

Specifically what limitations does he have compared to 90% of current starters?  I keep hearing about these so called "limitations" but never anything specific.

Can he make all the NFL throws?  Yes.  He proved that Sunday.  Can he process what he is seeing both pre and post snap? Yes.  Can he play within the offense?  Yes.  Can he get the ball out on time?  Yes.  Does he have a quick release?  Yes.  Does he have a strong arm?  Yes.  Can he stand tall in the pocket and take a hit while completing the pass?  Yes.  Is he tough?  Yes.  Does the team play hard for him?  Yes.

So what EXACTLY are these mysterious limitations?

Did they win yesterday ??? No.  Was it his fault ???  Most including myself would see the play calling in the red zone as the big issue.  I agree, but... White missed a few open guys that would have also made the difference.  Two that I saw could have been TD's or perhaps very long gains leading to an eventual TD.  Those were chances that a QB like Brady or Rogers would have been on the right side of.

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

White has limitations.  He is an excellent back-up., but he is not a bona fied starting QB.  He is starting for the Jets because Wilson is horrible and Flacco is ready to be put out to pasture.

Next season, White won't be in the plan as the starter unless things go very wrong. 

What limitations?

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I understand the dislike for Wilson and the perhaps true thought that he is an utter bust.  Thankfully we have a smart gm in charge though that is not going to toss an asset in the trash if he does not have to.  He is not getting cut or traded for scraps, worst scenario is he starts next year as the backup and is ready to go if white gets hurt or falters.  Zero reason to dump him now.

Ummmmmm this 1000%!

People act like Wilson personally slapped their sick mother the way they attack the guy. He has sucked No Question about it!

But so what, right now????? 

You have a competent QB in Mike White who is playing well enough and whom the coaching staff and players love.  

Why in the WORLD would you trash Zach Wilson now????? It makes no sense!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

There was definitely a deadlock, which is concerning. I think it had more to do with the CS wanting to sit Wilson not Woody. Begrudgingly Woody caved but put a limit on the time he sits. Don’t you find it funny how Saleh is not naming White the starter and downplays his performance.

Think about it, if you were the coaching staff and you see what’s going on in the locker room and you see Wilson is struggling mentally as well as on the field and  players are coming into your office expressing their concerns etc. It’s factual because look at the response from the team when White was the starter. 

My opinion Woody  let the CS start MW because things got heated and possibly some were to the point of resigning. Saleh asked the press not to push on the reason the meeting went late as it was a personal matter and said let’s just leave it at that. Wilson is the cancer.

we are pretty close in our assessment, but I see JD as the guy being stubborn and Saleh waning to bench Wilson.  Woody was the one that was called in to break the deadlock.  I'm guessing part of his reason was him just being pragmatic in avoiding a major revolt and the other motive was that he knew fans would eat it up and be psyched at the stadium for Mike White starting on Revis induction night.  I could be wrong, but I see JD as the only one with the motive to want to stick with Wilson.  It was pride of authorship in his draft. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:06 PM, THE BARON said:

It seems as if you have missed the larger point.  In the contemporary NFL, passing wins and teams with excellent QB's stand a MUCH better chance of winning, especially in the playoffs against good teams.  Don't you think it is a good strategy to take measures to improve your chances of winning ??? If the answer is yes, they one should not be satisfied with a limited QB. 

No rocket science here. 

Our limited QB is averaging more yards per game than any QB this season - including Patrick Mahomes.  So maybe some of us are waiting until these limits become evident before writing him off. and please don't act like you would not be purring like a kitten if Wilson had put up those two games.

• Upvote 3

No way.  WJ was the one that was called in to break the deadlock on sitting Wilson.  JD wanted to go with him until the end and Saleh wanted to sit him in order to prevent a riot and save the season.

Where did I get this ???

1.  Since Wilson was JD's draft pick. he is the only one with any motive to stick with him

2. Saleh was dealing with a locker room in near revolt. JD didn't have the catbird seat.

3. Their presser was two hours late because they were wanting for Johnson to get there.

4. No way would that meeting have ended without Johnson getting the final word.

Hence... JD vs. Saleh and Johnson.  Mob rules. Zach sits. 

Nice conspiracy theory, but it's wrong

Saleh said right when he started the delayed PC that there was a personal matter involving a member of the staff, and he asked for privacy from. media to not ask questions.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

What limitations?

Not very mobile or athletic. He looks like he has lead weights in his shoes.  Still, I don't see that as being fatal.   Brady, Manning or Marino didnt float like a butterfly either. 

He makes fast decisions under pressure and gets rid of the ball.

But.  He does not make the best decisions.  He watches his first read too often and too long and misses open guys.  I don't know if he just gets locked in or if he is not processing things as the play develops.  The result is that he always leaves money on the table.  Way more than an elite QB would.

IMHO, that is his big issue.  Not the arm.  He has lead feet and on top of that very bad at keeping track of all of his options. 

White has limitations.  He is an excellent back-up., but he is not a bona fied starting QB.  He is starting for the Jets because Wilson is horrible and Flacco is ready to be put out to pasture.

Next season, White won't be in the plan as the starter unless things go very wrong. 

You cant say that until he gets x amount of starts. So far he shows promise .

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Our limited QB is averaging more yards per game than any QB this season - including Patrick Mahomes.  So maybe some of us are waiting until these limits become evident before writing him off. and please don't act like you would be purring like a kitten if Wilson had put up those two games.

I was sure Wilson was a bad draft pick and I was right.  I am sure MFW is not a bona fied NFL qb, and I'm sure that will prove out as well.  

He is all yours.  Not mine.  

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You cant say that until he gets x amount of starts. So far he shows promise .

he shows promise as a first read QB.  he is the type of QB that can hang around for ages because he puts up good numbers against questionable defenses and then your team never seems to get anywhere in the post season nor do you win the close ones against the good teams.

that is who MFW is.

You can take him.  I would not.

Lets see what the GM does for 2023. 

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Joe Douglas wants to be proven right.  He’s not going to deal him.

As for me, I’d take literally anything for ZW. A Benihana gift card would do the trick.

Idk man, JD is a smart guy.  I think if a team offers a 3 he’ll order the Uber for Zach. 

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

I don't understand this.  Wilson had his best game ever against the Bills this year when he threw for 150 yds, 1 td and most importantly no turnovers. Remember he led them on that final drive like a franchise QB. 8 straight runs and then a pass that I could've made to Mims. I can't believe they're denying him this opportunity. 

But for real, who gives a **** about Zach Wilson anymore. I'm not sure if White is the long term answer but he's the short term answer and even if he throws 4 picks again he is still the best option at this point. 

So far, I like what I have seen from Mike White. As the players on this team grow into their roles, Mike will grow with them. I am fairly sure we are going to lose against the Bills unless Allen implodes but I think Mike White is not going to embarrass himself.