Jump to content

Shanahan System


choon328
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is the same nonsense we heard about in this defense you don't need good CB's.

Sure you don't "need" anything but you want better players.   Now we have two CB's playing at a very high level and the defense has become top 5 in the league.  

So sure, you can field a reasonable offense with an unathletic, slow release QB that can get the ball out quickly..

But with a better QB you'll have a better offense.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Just something I think that is being overlooked.  To run this offense you don't need elite physical traits but you need to have elite intelligence and processing speed. You have to be able to read defenses pre snap and then quickly diagnose what a team does post snap. All of this has to be done in a time frame bc the success of the offense relies heavily on timing. 

It's the reason why the very last pick in the draft in 2022, Brock Purdy, can play in his first game without any 1st team reps all year and have a 68% comp and 2 TDs. It's also the reason why a guy like Wilson whose negatives are the antithesis of what you want in a West Coast timing based system has struggled. 

The reason why Jimmy G is able to win a lot of games with limited physical abilities is bc of the scheme and the level of talent that they put around him. You can have Mike White be your QB in this system.  He'll even put up good numbers and win a bunch of games, but you better have a strong running game and some WRs with ability to support him.  You can not put everything on his shoulders. It is much much easier to find a strong RB and quality WRs than it is to find the next Allen or Mahomes. Jimmy G is 38-14 as the 49ers starting QB and he's not what many of you would call a franchise QB. I don't know about all of you but I just want the Jets to win however they have to. I'm tired of losing. Who cares if the QB can't throw the ball 70 yds or scramble around. Those abilities in this system are not necessary for the offense to function. Just my uneducated opinion of course. 

 

I agree to an extent but we also saw both teams take highly flawed wild card prospects based on perceived traits.  Both the Jets and 49'ers took small school twitchy athletes w/ traits and hoped and both teams have been utterly let down.  So while I agree with your premise because we've seen numerous QB's step into these systems and play well, these teams still found it important to spend a top 3 pick on the QB position.  Hell, daddy traded up to take RGIII 2nd overall and only won w/ Elway.  So they clearly value the idea of having an elite QB.

To correlate this to White vs. Wilson, I honestly think the whole situation just comes down to Mike White is a better Football player, period and Zach Wilson maybe running faster or throwing a little harder, just doesnt matter at all because he's a mess at everything else.  I made this analogy the other day, I started my on my HS bball team as a sophomore.  And every year, I made the starting team over more athletic players because while they had more twitch, speed and more hops, I was just a flat out better player and their traits, werent good enough to keep my fundamentally sound game off the court.  I think it really just boils down to this simple take on the situation. 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is the same nonsense we heard about in this defense you don't need good CB's.

Sure you don't "need" anything but you want better players.   Now we have two CB's playing at a very high level and the defense has become top 5 in the league.  

So sure, you can field a reasonable offense with an unathletic, slow release QB that can get the ball out quickly..

But with a better QB you'll have a better offense.

To your first point. When the Jets weren't getting pressure against the Vikings their offense put together two long drives in the first half. This defense is more dependent on their front 4 getting pressure than they are on their CBs covering. 

Moving on,  its hard to be statistically better than White in his 6 career games. 

 

 

So where are you getting this magical QB from?

The draft? Haha, good luck. 

Free agency? When are they ever available? Even Jimmy G and the 49ers have mutual interest in him going back there in 2023 according to a report today. 

Trade for one? Who is available? Lamar Jackson? He's not going to be available and if he is then is this the right offense for him?

The truth is that if you're a Jets fan you better hope Mike White plays well and secures the QB job for 2023 bc Wilson is cooked here and there at no other options to upgrade to a FQB in the offseason. Wilson's main issues aren't physical, they're mental. Mental meaning he doesn't have a high enough football IQ to play in this rhythm based offense. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

To your first point. When the Jets weren't getting pressure against the Vikings their offense put together two long drives in the first half. This defense is more dependent on their front 4 getting pressure than they are on their CBs covering. 

Moving on,  its hard to be statistically better than White in his 6 career games. 

 

 

So where are you getting this magical QB from?

The draft? Haha, good luck. 

Free agency? When are they ever available? Even Jimmy G and the 49ers have mutual interest in him going back there in 2023 according to a report today. 

Trade for one? Who is available? Lamar Jackson? He's not going to be available and if he is then is this the right offense for him?

The truth is that if you're a Jets fan you better hope Mike White plays well and secures the QB job for 2023 bc Wilson is cooked here and there at no other options to upgrade to a FQB in the offseason. Wilson's main issues aren't physical, they're mental. Mental meaning he doesn't have a high enough football IQ to play in this rhythm based offense. 

The defense is able to get to the QB because the DB's are holding up better.  It's the same D Line (mostly from last year) the difference is the corners are holding up longer.  

As for QB, I'm not even talking about the Jets QB situation - I'm referencing this particular thread - This idea that somehow you don't need a good QB in the system.  I think that's nonsense.  Of course you need a good QB and the better the QB the better the offense will be.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The defense is able to get to the QB because the DB's are holding up better.  It's the same D Line (mostly from last year) the difference is the corners are holding up longer.  

As for QB, I'm not even talking about the Jets QB situation - I'm referencing this particular thread - This idea that somehow you don't need a good QB in the system.  I think that's nonsense.  Of course you need a good QB and the better the QB the better the offense will be.

 

I said you don't need an elite QB in this system. Of course you need a good QB. That's why I referenced Jimmy G.

The CBs are mainly playing zone. Stop acting like this is Revis matching up 1 on 1 bc it isn't. The DB's and LBers are playing their zones very well and that's why they're having success on the back end. The coverage sacks thing is just flat out wrong. It's like you haven't watched any games. 

Also, it's not the same defensive line as last year. They have Lawson, Johnson and Clemons this year. All big contributors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...