Did I hear this right about Bam Knight

hmhertz

Bam ran a 4.58 at the Combine maybe he was hurt?

List of NFL flyers MPH & forties

PLAYER / TOP SPEED in MPH / 40 TIME in SECONDS

K. Walker III / 22.09 / 4.38

B. Hall / 21.87 / 4.39

D. Duvernay / 21.6 / 4.39

T. Woolen / 21.58 / 4.26

R. Bateman / 21.48 / 4.43

C. Claypool / 21.46 / 4.42

S. Barkley / 21.11 / 4.41

T. Pollard / 21.11 / 4.38

J. Mixon / 21.11 / 4.43

A. St. Brown / 21.09 / 4.51

K. Turpin / 21.09 / 4.31

M. Jackson / 21.05 / 4.45

I am reading Jimmy Johnson's new book, Swagger, and there is chapter that touches upon the fact that the Cowboys' scouts didn't want to draft Emmit Smith because of his lack of speed/40 time.  Jimmy Johnson then said "go through his game tape & show me how many times he's been caught from behind."  I don't think they found one incident.  The point of it is how the 40-yard dash is an overrated metric that teams use when drafting a player, at least to Jimmy Johnson.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

40 times are soooooooo overrated. 

There is football speed and there is everything else. Some guys run fast on the football field and other guys don't. 

This!!!  Plus Knight hasn't really played since camp so his legs are beyond fresh.  He's playing at another speed

compared to the defenders

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, greasyt said:

I am reading Jimmy Johnson's new book, Swagger, and there is chapter that touches upon the fact that the Cowboys' scouts didn't want to draft Emmit Smith because of his lack of speed/40 time.  Jimmy Johnson then said "go through his game tape & show me how many times he's been caught from behind."  I don't think they found one incident.  The point of it is how the 40-yard dash is an overrated metric that teams use when drafting a player, at least to Jimmy Johnson.

This is PERFECT evidence that HC's are actively involved in the draft.  Parcells books (I read 2) he talks like that. There is NO WAY anyone can convince me that Rex didn't push Tanny around and have him draft Kyle Wilson instead of someone to help Sanchez and the multiple DL that were basically busts except MO, who under achieved IMO.

• Upvote 2

Could have been hurt. Or maybe he ran the 40 against the wind. Maybe his 40 was hand timed. 

The other factor is 40 yards is partly a test of acceleration whereas mph is a measure of top end speed. They’re correlated but some of these guys don't hit their top end speed for 55-65 yards.  But Bam seems to accelerate fast also. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JETSY14 said:

Yet our coaching staff doesn't trust him to get a yard at the 1 yard line

30 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So what happened there??? Between Robinson and Knight we wouldn't run it at least once?  I was driving, listening on Sirius XM .

On the one drive that sticks in my mind - the one that ended with the Berrios drop - we had 1st and goal at the 4.

1st down we ran it with Bam, the D line got clean through on him and should have dropped him for a loss / no gain at best, he did really well to turn it into a 3 yard gain. 2nd down was almost identical - he was in trouble from the point of the handoff, and again did well to get to the 1 yard line, should have been a 3-4 yard loss.

I think the issue was not trusting the O line, rather than Bam. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Bam ran a 4.58 at the Combine maybe he was hurt?

List of NFL flyers MPH & forties

PLAYER / TOP SPEED in MPH / 40 TIME in SECONDS

K. Walker III / 22.09 / 4.38

B. Hall / 21.87 / 4.39

D. Duvernay / 21.6 / 4.39

T. Woolen / 21.58 / 4.26

R. Bateman / 21.48 / 4.43

C. Claypool / 21.46 / 4.42

S. Barkley / 21.11 / 4.41

T. Pollard / 21.11 / 4.38

J. Mixon / 21.11 / 4.43

A. St. Brown / 21.09 / 4.51

K. Turpin / 21.09 / 4.31

M. Jackson / 21.05 / 4.45

40s vs MPH have some correlation because fast is fast, but I wonder if some players who "play fast" (which now we have evidence of with MPH) has a lot to do with technique. I would imagine a lot of players run different naturally as opposed to how the 40 technique is taught which may limit them from hitting their top speeds

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Could have been hurt. Or maybe he ran the 40 against the wind. Maybe his 40 was hand timed. 

The other factor is 40 yards is partly a test of acceleration whereas mph is a measure of top end speed. They’re correlated but some of these guys don't hit their top end speed for 55-65 yards.  But Bam seems to accelerate fast also. 

This.  40s are completely acceleration you are basically still getting faster with every step. IMO quickness is more important than speed and "hitting 20 mph" really isn't that big a deal.  There is a list of guys up there that hit 21 and it is not particularly short.  The 40 is a tool.,  The idea that a guy is "football fast" vs. just fast is silly, but quickness, suddeness out of breaks is generally more important.  That is why they now provide the 10 and 20 yard splits and put so much emphasis on the cone and shuttle.  The 40 is a tool.  It isn't the only measure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This.  40s are completely acceleration you are basically still getting faster with every step. IMO quickness is more important than speed and "hitting 20 mph" really isn't that big a deal.  There is a list of guys up there that hit 21 and it is not particularly short.  The 40 is a tool.,  The idea that a guy is "football fast" vs. just fast is silly, but quickness, suddeness out of breaks is generally more important.  That is why they now provide the 10 and 20 yard splits and put so much emphasis on the cone and shuttle.  The 40 is a tool.  It isn't the only measure.

True, and Knight tested well in the agility drills. Not so much in his explosion, though. Given the perceived value of the position in the league right now, it’s no surprise that he went undrafted. Lots of good RBs do. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

True, and Knight tested well in the agility drills. Not so much in his explosion, though. Given the perceived value of the position in the league right now, it’s no surprise that he went undrafted. Lots of good RBs do. 

He's been impressive. Around game 6 or 7 next year we could have Breece BAM and MC1 which is a pretty formidable RB group.

• Upvote 1