Vikings' Justin Jefferson claps back at DJ Reed after win over Jets

doitny

Veteran NFL cornerback DJ Reed took credit for a rather quiet day by Justin Jefferson’s standards in the Minnesota Vikings’ 27-22 victory over the New York Jets on Sunday, but the star wideout sees it differently.

Kirk Cousins’ 10-yard touchdown pass to Jefferson halfway through the fourth quarter ultimately sealed the Jets' fate, but New York’s defense held the third-year wide receiver to just 45 yards receiving and just 11 yards rushing. 

Reed told reporters in the locker room after the game that if not for that play, he "held my own for sure." 

"I was in his s--- all game. He got that one route on me so I’m frustrated but I feel like I did a great job containing him. So it’s just frustrating because I don’t want to give up a touchdown – I don’t want to be the reason my team loses."

He added, "Other than that I held my own for sure against him."

However, Jefferson clapped back on Twitter in response to Reed’s comments.

"In what s--- … You can’t talk having safety help… call me when yo coach trust you to go 1v1."

When asked about the coverage after the game, head coach Robert Saleh seemed happy with it overall. 

"I thought we did a nice job. I know he got the one touchdown – a really nice route by him, but I felt like we kept his explosives to a minimum, but we just weren’t good enough in the red zone today. That’s on both sides of the ball."

• Upvote 1

What a signing DJ Reed has been, whenever an opposing QB drops back to pass these days I almost expect an incompletion, of course there are lapses and plays get made but our entire secondary has become a joy to watch, aided by the drastic improvement in pass rush of course. Sunday wasn’t our finest performance on D, in the first half at any rate, but we were playing an offensive juggernaut and the second half adjustment was impressive.
That loss still stings but what a game it was! that was the kind of epic, titanic, big boy battle we’ve spent years watching other teams be a part of  and I’m just enjoying watching this team and knowing we can not only compete, but in my view, hang with absolutely any team in the league. 
JJ comes off as a bit of an ass here but he may just be fooling around, either way DJ and his secondary pals are fast earning the respect of everyone. It’s cool to watch

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I mean he did score the winning TD that seeled the game.

I wouldn’t say it “sealed” the game. The jets got a TD after it and had 2 more trips to the red zone as well while the vikings offense did nothing in the last 8 minutes of the game when they had their chances to seal the victory. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why would anyone want to repeatedly put any CB (never mind nominally the team’s CB2) 1-on-1 vs the game’s best WR? The goal is to win the game, not for a CB to win individual bragging rights should he still come out on top.

No one’s happy about the TD or the loss in general, but when Jefferson is targeted 11x and catches 7 of them, switching sides to change the matchups along the way, 45 yds (even with a TD) is considered manageable damage for a great WR who averaged 2.5x that yardage coming into the matchup. He’s a rare talent at the top of his game. Tough assignment for anyone.

Hard to be much happier with the Reed signing. At $11MM/yr he’s the #18 corner in terms of average contract amount, and the next 4 guys in the $10-10.5MM range mostly signed 1-2 yrs ago (mostly 2 yrs ago), with the exception of Gilmore who’s like 32 yrs old and got just $1MM less.

If he was a FA after this year he’d be considered a bargain at $16MM. There are a few who are making almost double. 

The other thing is that Jefferson had at least 1 drop (and IIRC, there was a 2nd drop).   We were lucky he only put up 7 for 45 and 1 TD.

• Upvote 1

If someone told me on Saturday the Jefferson woukd go for 45 yards and 1 TD against the Jets,  I would sign up for that. That is minimal damage from the games best WR. 

Also, Jefferson's response is laughable. He is doubled by every team he plays against. Did he expect the Jets to S's to cover TE's and RB's all day? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Safety help is what Safeties do. It’s the same coverage jefferson has beaten when playing other teams. I lost a little respect for him there. He really comes off like a little bitch.

I see it differently.  When you're a competitor, you like to win.  Jefferson was just going at it with Reed, and Reed was trying to defend his play against Jefferson.  No big deal to me.  If anything, I would say that DJ Reed saying "he was in his sh*t all day", was more disrespectful than what Jefferson said back.  Again, no big deal either way.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Jefferson has been the best WR in the game this year, but he was held
to 7 catches for 45 yards and a TD.  He was held in check and should've
been happy that they won the game.  He comes off as a childish diva
(normal for WRs), the best WR on the field Sunday was Garrett Wilson

Being held to a little over 7 YPC when you avg 14.5 per catch i think qualifies for being held in check.........

• Upvote 1

That's childish. Yes, he has safety help, but Jefferson also benefits from his other receivers, TEs and RBs affecting the defense. Could Reed say that because he bit on a play-fake, that Jefferson didn't truly beat him? He'd be laughed out of the room.

Outside of QB, playing man as a CB is the next hardest position in the NFL, not sure it's even close. The player you're lining up 1) knows the route, you don't 2) you can barely put your hands on him 3) you can give up one big play and you've failed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The other thing is that Jefferson had at least 1 drop (and IIRC, there was a 2nd drop).   We were lucky he only put up 7 for 45 and 1 TD.

If not for the play of Reed, this game would have been a blow out. Jefferson is the best this game has to offer.

Our defense played great, our offense was good. 
Unfortunately, the end result was we lost.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think that was his only drop of the season? With all those targets, he has had them against other teams, too, and still puts up double to triple the yards against most of them including any drops. It's subjective, but PFR has him with a handful of drops this year. 

Typically Cousins isn't starting the game 0/5 on their first 2 possessions. We lost in the end anyway, but coverage on him is no small part of the reason it wasn't a bigger blowout e.g. 14-3 instead of 3-3 before the 1st quarter ended, still possibly followed by 2 more unanswered Minnesota TDs + 1 FG. 

The rest of the game doesn't still automatically proceed that way, but don't discount that their early 20-3 lead in the 2nd quarter could've  easily been 37-3 if Jefferson was open more just on those first two drives alone & Cousins didn't throw incomplete passes on all his attempts/dropbacks. Jefferson had 45% of Minnesota's receiving yards entering the Jets game, which is just staggering. Shut him down (to the degree it can be done) and they have to go to Thuney, who's a shell of what he was, or Hockenson, who's really never lived up to his #8 overall draft slot.

There's some blame to go around in multiple places, but on balance Reed & the secondary did a good job with Jefferson. He's kinda hard to cover & contain; tough assignment for anyone.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

They shut down the best WR in the NFL too, Tyreek Hill.

Will be harder the 2nd time around without the benefit of Skylar Thompson, but the book is out on what McDaniel has been doing with Tua.

You have to get home early and sit on all the short stuff.  I think Saleh is gonna have to blitz more than he wants to.

You can tell Tua is easily rattled by pressure.  When you get him off his mark, he’s wild.

Week 18 sets up like a homecoming game for MW (who is from Pembroke Pines) on SNF for the division title.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KRL said:

Jefferson has been the best WR in the game this year, but he was held
to 7 catches for 45 yards and a TD.  He was held in check and should've
been happy that they won the game.  He comes off as a childish diva
(normal for WRs), the best WR on the field Sunday was Garrett Wilson

Eh idk about the bold. Going a bit far imo. The jets D and backfield is substantially better than the Vikings. Would garret have played as well lining up against the jets D?