Tight ends where are you?

Jim dean

Jim, yesterday morning I started writing a thread on this subject asking the question and thus, giving the solution to your question. I spent a good half hour doing all the research then my wife was at the doorway tapping her foot with here jacket on waiting for me to go to the store so I said EFF-it! I just deleted it. But before I did, WHAT I did was go through every receiver since White took over to see who is catching the rock and who ain't. I was all ready to jump on Corey Davis for his boneheaded plays and saw the guy is like 3rd in the league with a 17.8 yards per catch.  and his numbers were about the same as the rest of the guys. WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO BE PISSED AT? There really isn't anyone to "blame" for the loss, not even Berrios, who like someone wrote in an other thread that this is a guy who would probably catch that pass 99 out of a hundred times. So who then, Mike LeFleur? Maybe, all the beat writers were tweeting about his "questionable play calling" so maybe him, but then Rex said it, had Braxton caught that pass,  the Jets would have won and it would have been a moot point anyway.

Then I came across this stat, CJ Uzomah has been thrown 14 passes this season, only 14...but guess what, he has caught 13 of those throws. Tyler Conklin too 60 targets-like 43 catches. That's pretty good catch %.

Mike needs to utilize his TEs more, they are usually in a mismatch with a LBer who can usually not keep up or defend the pass as well. and look at what guys like Brady has been doing for years now, with his tight ends.

So you're absolutely right Jimmy and the good news is White DOES have good TEs to throw the ball to.By the way WELCOME TO JETNATION my friend from one Jim to another

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I was shouting for them to go heavy 13 personnel on the 4th and goal from the 1

Instead LaFleur goes with an empty set

So not even a threat of a run for Minnesota to think about 

Yep - I've pointed this out numerous times this season. It doesn't seem to be a staple in LaFleur's short yardage offense. I'm just not a fan, although you do see this stuff a lot around the league. I personally think you should always try to make the defense worry about a run when it is 4th and less than 3. 

• Upvote 2

Very few times were the tight ends open during the last game. Conklin was targeted a few times but defenders were all over him so kinda giving him a pass for dropping balls last game. Seems like LaFluer isn’t scheming them open on a consistent basis 

Sure would like to see what Ruckert can do but injury during training camp has stunted his improvement 

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep - I've pointed this out numerous times this season. It doesn't seem to be a staple in LaFleur's short yardage offense. I'm just not a fan, although you do see this stuff a lot around the league. I personally think you should always try to make the defense worry about a run when it is 4th and less than 3. 

Maybe he needs to watch some Tenn. Titans All-22 or 49ers footage! If you can't design plays then steal them from somebody who can!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Very few times were the tight ends open during the last game. Conklin was targeted a few times but defenders were all over him so kinda giving him a pass for dropping balls last game. Seems like LaFluer isn’t scheming them open on a consistent basis 

Sure would like to see what Ruckert can do but injury during training camp has stunted his improvement 

He's not designing plays for them across the middle like we always see the guys who were wide open against us in the beginning of the year. Sideline routes like that amazing catch that Conklin made is more of what we're seeing

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

He's not designing plays for them across the middle like we always see the guys who were wide open against us in the beginning of the year. Sideline routes like that amazing catch that Conklin made is more of what we're seeing

Agree but it seems to me that both Uzomah and Conklin are more effective over the middle than sidelines. Just wonder why LaFluer isn’t doing a better job of scheming them open like a number of teams with what it seems as relative ease. I Just think he’s over thinking his play calling and trying to be too dam cute. 
Wish he would go to what was extremely successful on the last drive against Buffalo in a more consistent basis and not bail on the rushing attack so quickly as it opens up the middle of the field for tight ends and the 20-25 yard over the middle passes to wide receivers as well 

10 hours ago, Jim dean said:

We need young QB to have good tight ends to dump across middle.so under used in jets football for a long while..

When was the last time we had a TE that REALLY contributed???   Dustin Keller IMO was very decent, others didn't like him.

I'd love to see LOVE to see Ruckert develop into a great TE.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Our running backs are so good catching the ball put of the backfield that I think the need for a tight end safety blanket is not top significant. I’d rather have Hall and MC be the check downs and use TEs to block.

True but you have to make the defense think.

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Jim, yesterday morning I started writing a thread on this subject asking the question and thus, giving the solution to your question. I spent a good half hour doing all the research then my wife was at the doorway tapping her foot with here jacket on waiting for me to go to the store so I said EFF-it! I just deleted it. But before I did, WHAT I did was go through every receiver since White took over to see who is catching the rock and who ain't. I was all ready to jump on Corey Davis for his boneheaded plays and saw the guy is like 3rd in the league with a 17.8 yards per catch.  and his numbers were about the same as the rest of the guys. WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO BE PISSED AT? There really isn't anyone to "blame" for the loss, not even Berrios, who like someone wrote in an other thread that this is a guy who would probably catch that pass 99 out of a hundred times. So who then, Mike LeFleur? Maybe, all the beat writers were tweeting about his "questionable play calling" so maybe him, but then Rex said it, had Braxton caught that pass,  the Jets would have won and it would have been a moot point anyway.

Then I came across this stat, CJ Uzomah has been thrown 14 passes this season, only 14...but guess what, he has caught 13 of those throws. Tyler Conklin too 60 targets-like 43 catches. That's pretty good catch %.

Mike needs to utilize his TEs more, they are usually in a mismatch with a LBer who can usually not keep up or defend the pass as well. and look at what guys like Brady has been doing for years now, with his tight ends.

So you're absolutely right Jimmy and the good news is White DOES have good TEs to throw the ball to.By the way WELCOME TO JETNATION my friend from one Jim to another

Very good stats did not know  Conklin had 60 targets.short passes should be a higher catch % though.we lost that game way earlier than the last play.two scores in the first half should have been td's.getting better need A game +++ in buffalo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

What short yardage offense?

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I was shouting for them to go heavy 13 personnel on the 4th and goal from the 1

Instead LaFleur goes with an empty set

So not even a threat of a run for Minnesota to think about 

Especially with White as the QB. The guy just isn’t going to get you a running TD unless it’s a broken play. I’d honestly like to see them bring in someone who give you a dual threat near end zone. Maybe the only place Wilson has a distinct advantage over White right now. I honestly thought for a while they might try Steveler in that role. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yeetin It said:

Especially with White as the QB. The guy just isn’t going to get you a running TD unless it’s a broken play. I’d honestly like to see them bring in someone who give you a dual threat near end zone. Maybe the only place Wilson has a distinct advantage over White right now. I honestly thought for a while they might try Steveler in that role. 

Yes that is the ideal situation for Strev