Titans fire GM Jon Robinson despite winning ways

Titans fire GM Jon Robinson despite winning ways

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Titansannounced Tuesday that general manager Jon Robinson has been relieved of his duties.

Robinson was informed of his firing by Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk on Tuesday morning.

The move comes after Tennessee suffered an embarrassing 35-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in which former Titans wide receiver A.J. Brown, who was traded to Philadelphia in the offseason, scored two touchdowns.

"Since becoming controlling owner in 2015, my goal has been to raise the standard for what is expected in all facets of our organization. I believe we have made significant progress both on and off the field through investments in leadership, personnel and new ideas. This progress includes the core of our business, the football team itself, which is regularly evaluated both by results (wins and losses) and team construction/roster building. I am proud of what we have accomplished in my eight seasons of ownership, but I believe there is more to be done and higher aspirations to be met," Adams Strunk said in a statement.

"I want to thank Jon for his dedicated work to set this organization on an upward trajectory and I wish him and his family the best."

Brown was dealt from the Titans to the Eagles on the first night of the draft in April for the Nos. 18 and 101 overall picks. The trade was contingent on a new contract extension -- something Brown and the Titans could not come to terms on. Philadelphia signed him to a four-year, $100 million deal that includes $57 million guaranteed that night.

The move comes with the Titans atop the AFC South standings with a 7-5 record and coming off back-to-back division titles.

Robinson had signed an extension with the Titans, along with coach Mike Vrabel, of February of this year.

During his tenure as general manager, Robinson has drafted 29 players, two of which, running back Derrick Henry and safety Kevin Byard, have made Pro Bowls. Since then, three of Robinson's free agent/trade acquisitions have also made Pro Bowls, those being running back DeMarco Murray, safety Brynden Trawickfor special teams, and quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Only two of the seven first-round selections Robinson has made since taking over as the general manager in 2016 are on the current roster. Up to this point, none of his selections have made it to a second contract with the Titans. That will likely change with 2019 first-round pick Jeffery Simmons.

The Titans said that Ryan Cowden, the club's vice president of player personnel, will oversee player personnel for the rest of the season. Cowden originally joined the franchise in 2016, as the director of player personnel and was promoted to his current role in 2018.

Robinson helped lead them to a winning record in all six-plus of his seasons in charge. In that time, Robinson has become the second-winningest general manager in franchise history with 69 wins (including playoffs), trailing only Floyd Reese (111 wins).

ESPN's Tim McManus contributed to this report.

He’s a good NFL executive  with a strong record of building a competitive team. Wonder if Jets would bring him on board into the FO, not as a threat to JD or Rex Hogan, but just adding another quality veteran NFL exec to create a stronger FO. Similar to when the Jets CS brought over Bill Callahan as OLine coach/run-game coordinator from 2008-2011

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Titans have never had a losing record under him and 3 division titles. They are in playoff contention this year again....

and they fire the guy? Odd

After giving him an extension less than a year ago.  If you are firing a guy after that you better look at yourself.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Well trading away aj brown doesn’t exactly make your team better. Add in a bunch of other 1st rd whiffs and I’m not surprised. Who was the lineman they drafted in the first rd and he got cut a few games into his rookie season? 

Brooklyn native idiot and PolyPrep alum 

OT Isiah Wilson 

and yes, not the greatest selections:

0F6CFF21-ACE9-4CD7-A64C-03F174B19AD8.thumb.jpeg.197368589d1ec1b7ba00137dc5dc0812.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Well trading away aj brown doesn’t exactly make your team better. Add in a bunch of other 1st rd whiffs and I’m not surprised. Who was the lineman they drafted in the first rd and he got cut a few games into his rookie season? 

If the owner won't cut the check, you do the next best thing and get a 1st and 3rd for him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The owner told him to trade Brown because he didn't want to pay him....at least that's what I read.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Easiest division in football every year.  Keeping the OC might have been an issue.

Easiest division, but they're still only 7-5.

Wins vs. Raiders, Colts x2, Commanders, Texans, Broncos and Packers. Losses vs. Giants, Bills, Chiefs, Bengals, Eagles. What's their "statement win" - Washington? Green Bay? 

All I can assume is that there was some leftovers between him and the owner over the AJ Brown trade which came to a head this week after they got mugged by the Iggles.

• Upvote 3

Their entire offense is Derrick Henry, and he couldn't get anything done against Philly.. Their defense is good (Only allowed more than 24 points twice this season) but they just allowed the Eagles to complete 74% of passes for 380 yards and 3 TDs. 

They're good at beating bad teams but they are 1-5 against teams above .500 and the Titans beat Washington when they were 1-4. The Titans get into the playoffs every season but go nowhere because they are a weak team led by a good head coach. 

This has probably been brewing for a while and it finally boiled over after AJ Brown caught 119 receiving yards and 2 TDs while his replacement, Burks caught 1 pass and Tannehill put up Zach Wilson stats.

Life seems good in Tennessee but they have one of the easiest schedules in the league and lose any game against a good team.

• Upvote 4

He obviously was the one who didnt want to play brown, and burks hasn't peaked, he's flashed.

The issue is that they have a terrible QB and a raw backup QB who would have let AJ brown wither away, and doesnt allow you to evaluate youre current receiving core. Tannehil got this guy fired. 

5 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Isaih Wilson, LT,  Georgia. Total knucklehead. 

15 hours ago, jamesr said:

Easiest division, but they're still only 7-5.

I think this is it.

The team is good, but not great.  That has been its status for the past seven years (current season included).  A perpetual 9-12 win team that will make the playoffs, but little else.  The offense is struggling.  The defense is good against the run, but struggles against the pass.  There is always something wrong with the team.  It is not overly talented.  That falls at the feet of the GM. 

Plus, the team is floating a one or two billion retractible roof stadium plan to be built near the current stadium.  Probably need a little more juice behind the team to seal that deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

I think this is it.

The team is good, but not great.  That has been its status for the past seven years (current season included).  A perpetual 9-12 win team that will make the playoffs, but little else.  The offense is struggling.  The defense is good against the run, but struggles against the pass.  There is always something wrong with the team.  It is not overly talented.  That falls at the feet of the GM. 

Plus, the team is floating a one or two billion retractible roof stadium plan to be built near the current stadium.  Probably need a little more juice behind the team to seal that deal.

31st in pass defense. In a passing league.

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

10-2 Vikings are #32, plus a worse rush defense than Tenn's on top of that.

They're 7-5 not 5-7, let alone worse. It's a curious firing until more gets leaked out, after just extending him so recently through the 2027 draft.

What could it be?  The OC gets busted for drunk driving.  The offense is struggling badly.  Yet, he is still employed.

I agree, in general, it could be your point, but think it is simpler. 

The team is struggling.  The Titans are projected to be almost 20 million over the cap.  The Titans can get back roughly 18 million in space by cutting Tannehill.  Which forces them to turn the ball over to Malik Willis who has been underwhelming.  The team will still need to cut/restructure talent to have some cap space to work with.  

The Titans are going to three-peat in the division.  I would say it is more due to the ineptness of the teams in their division than Robinson's team building and cap management.  It is in this situation due to him.  This team might be 4-13 next year.

• Upvote 1