Fullback ideas

JohnnyLV

We decided to go without a FB this year when it is usually a staple of this offense. I agreed with the move, especially for Zach since 11 fits him better than 12,

But not having a FB is affecting us on short yardage especially goal line. So I was thinking why not go a little outside the box,

Used sparingly Bryce Huff could be a devastating FB. His get-off is so fast (fastest in the NFL btw) and he is so strong that he would completely blow up the A or B gap. It would be difficult to NOT get a yard.

Clemons could be used in that role as well. 

I think Huff could be so good that even if you prepare for it you might not be able to stop it and it would open a ton of play action options against middle stuffed boxes.

My favorite short yardage scheme is 4 wrs, wide splits on the oline and no FB.  Why teams want to let the other team pull their whole team into the tackle to tackle box is beyond me.  Great blocks never get you the one yard you need.

However, I do like having a FB if he can do more than just block.

• Upvote 4

i wont use a defensive guy. they know how to shed blocks not make them.
put a TE back there. maybe the rookie. plus if you do that you can fake the run and he could catch the pass.
Using the defensive guy sounds great until we have a false start penalty in a big spot

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We decided to go without a FB this year when it is usually a staple of this offense. I agreed with the move, especially for Zach since 11 fits him better than 12,

But not having a FB is affecting us on short yardage especially goal line. So I was thinking why not go a little outside the box,

Used sparingly Bryce Huff could be a devastating FB. His get-off is so fast (fastest in the NFL btw) and he is so strong that he would completely blow up the A or B gap. It would be difficult to NOT get a yard.

I think Huff could be so good that even if you prepare for it you might not be able to stop it and it would open a ton of play action options against middle stuffed boxes.

I would just play one of the reserve OL

Huff knows how to beat you at the Los, not how to pancake a LB. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Want a fullback or a lead blocker ??? Find the most explosive offensive guard on the roster and have the RB coach give him a day's training on how to handle the ball.  I suppose you could also try out one of the defensive tackles too. 

Imagine Herbig plowing through 1st and goal at the 1 yard line.  Hahaha.  

Good call on the thread - I think missing/needing a fullback is an interesting discussion..  especially when we are looking to pound the rock in short yardage.

6 offensive linemen would also be interesting... and I don't think we've done that either.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I would just play one of the reserve OL

Huff knows how to beat you at the Los, not how to pancake a LB. 

I am a little confused by the whole idea, but I think they are talking about for carries.  

They have the FB from last year, Nick Bawden.  They have carried him on IR all season.  I assume he is not available for 2022, but he is on a one year deal.  There must be a reason they carry him on IR.  Good will maybe? 

I think Ruckert and at least one of the signed TEs played some H-back.  I do not think that will help the short yardage game much.  I know everybody hates LaFleur right now, but I think his sh*t is predicated on making teams think it is a pass and then running.  Having somebody in the backfield does not help that.  I also think he mixes things up based on the treatment formations get earlier in the game.  I wondered if the Vikings were treating the goalline differently, but I guess the general 3rd down conversion rate doesn't bear that out either.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am a little confused by the whole idea, but I think they are talking about for carries.  

They have the FB from last year, Nick Bawden.  They have carried him on IR all season.  I assume he is not available for 2022, but he is on a one year deal.  There must be a reason they carry him on IR.  Good will maybe? 

I think Ruckert and at least one of the signed TEs played some H-back.  I do not think that will help the short yardage game much.  I know everybody hates LaFleur right now, but I think his sh*t is predicated on making teams think it is a pass and then running.  Having somebody in the backfield does not help that.  I also think he mixes things up based on the treatment formations get earlier in the game.  I wondered if the Vikings were treating the goalline differently, but I guess the general 3rd down conversion rate doesn't bear that out either.

The idea is to use someone on the roster with size and quickness as a lead blocker in certain situations.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The idea is to use someone on the roster with size and quickness as a lead blocker in certain situations.

If that is the case, why D line over O?  I would agree that Huff is among the worst choices for lead blocker, though he does seem to have good feet.  At that point we are looking for an extra Olineman or TE and I htink that skews the defensive lineup against our being able to run.

• 3 weeks later...

Conklin ?

The Vikings went with TE Tyler Conklin with their first fifth-round pick, and Mike Zimmer said he’ll be used as a TE/FB/H-back in John DeFilippo’s offense, lining up just about anywhere in the backfield or inline.

LaFluer just gave up on the role tbh. He love’s shotgun 4 wide 

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, johnnysd said:

Nick Bawden is coming back here next year.  Apparently his trip to injured reserve was real and the team has told him they want him back.

• Upvote 3

On 12/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, johnnysd said:

It should be Jeremy Ruckert

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nick Bawden is coming back here next year.  Apparently his trip to injured reserve was real and the team has told him they want him back.

Interesting. I actually liked Bawden. However I think there is a far greater than 50% chance LaFleur is gone so not sure a FB will be needed for next offense.