NYPost- O’Connor: Jets can send loud message with another Bills takedown

Is it me or is anyone else getting the sense the Jets players were happy with a competitive loss to the Vikings?

I know some of our fans are - but just based on what I'm reading - this team, overall, seem to be happy with their performance on Sunday.

To be clear - I'm basing it solely on a couple of quotes and articles I've read - so there's probably not anything to it - and I'm wrong..

But it's just a sense I'm getting and it's worrisome. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Is it me or is anyone else getting the sense the Jets players were happy with a competitive loss to the Vikings?

I know some of our fans are - but just based on what I'm reading - this team, overall, seem to be happy with their performance on Sunday.

To be clear - I'm basing it solely on a couple of quotes and articles I've read - so there's probably not anything to it - and I'm wrong..

That’s probably the message Saleh gave the team after the game 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

i dont think so. i think you have the NE loss reaction fresh in your mind. that was very frustrating and i think the team has reached its patience with Wilson. in this game yes we made some mistakes but we fought till the very end. we lost on the last play. people make too much out of the Vikings having a bad defense but they are 9-2 and going into their house was not an easy game to win. 

and honestly i wasnt too upset either. this was one of the most exciting Jet games i have watched in a while. for the first time since maybe Brett Favre was here i had confidence that on that last drive we would get it to the end Zone. and we did, we just couldnt get it in.

as the article said, SOJ down 20-3 at the half on the road the game would be over. but we fought till the very end. i dont think there happy but there not so angry that you can see it.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this.

I mean, as a fan I'm enjoying being in the race and not focused on draft picks - and playing the proverbial Meaningful Games in December, so I get the sentiment...

But the NFL is a funny thing and teams come out of nowhere and make real runs.  

A team with as much talent as the Jets have right now should never be okay with competitive losses.  

Would you prefer flukey wins?

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

To competiive losees?

Yes. absolutely.

I agree with you there, but watching the game in real time was heart wrenching. Watching it a second time allowed me to see that the Jets really should have won that game if the team was an inch more in synch with each other, on multiple plays. They played damn well against a great football team. I’m never happy about a loss, even when it meant a better draft position. I’m just less mad today than I was on Sunday.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Or maybe they realize that they were a few inches away from a win against one of the best teams in the league and can play with anyone in the league, just another prespective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

Or maybe they realize that they were a few inches away from a win against one of the best teams in the league and can play with anyone in the league, just another prespective. 

Definitely possible, but I would like to think they already believed that.  

Maybe that attitude helps and they start playing better, maybe it means they're okay being able to stay close with good teams.

That latter would be troublesome.  

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry but I can't agree with this.

I mean, as a fan I'm enjoying being in the race and not focused on draft picks - and playing the proverbial Meaningful Games in December, so I get the sentiment...

But the NFL is a funny thing and teams come out of nowhere and make real runs.  

A team with as much talent as the Jets have right now should never be okay with competitive losses.  

Referees without an agenda would nice in that game.  Not dragging an anchor like Zach is also refreshing to them too.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Referees without an agenda would nice in that game.  Not dragging an anchor like Zach is also refreshing to them too.

Stop.  The Jets didn't lose because of the refs.

There's a lot of blame to go around for that loss - not any one individual - this was an overall team loss.

But the QB is surely part of it and quite a bit higher on the list than the refs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Flukey wins are how you end up with 4 win seasons watching intolerable football; not edge-of-your-seat 4th qtrs, but you do you boo.

This take is honest and while I can't remotely agree with it, I appreciate you being upfront about the way you think about the team.

That a fan of a team would rather lose games than win - because of the way the game plays out. 

I mean, I think it just proves how different some fans are.

Having the right players perform well is more important than your team winning.  I always thought that's the way a lot of fans thought - and have been told my some that NO fans think like that.

Truthfully, I'm grateful for your honestly. 

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nonsense.

They were devastated. I was sick to my stomach after the loss.

There's a difference between being "happy" and being encouraged by the fight and effort the team showed to come back against a good team on the road.

In the grand scheme of things everything we are seeing from this team is promising for the long term. That I certainly am happy with, especially relative to what I felt in August. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s you.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop.  The Jets didn't lose because of the refs.

There's a lot of blame to go around for that loss - not any one individual - this was an overall team loss.

But the QB is surely part of it and quite a bit higher on the list than the refs.

I implore you to watch the games.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think they’re happy that they play for a team that doesn’t give up, are proud that they they didn’t quit down 17

I think they’re happy that MW and his offense continued to move the ball, that it wasnt a one game fluke vs Chicago.

I don’t think that means that they’re happy with the results, that they’re not pissed for failing to convert just one more trip into the red zone.  

Hopefully it fires them for Buffalo and beyond 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Definitely possible, but I would like to think they already believed that.  

Maybe that attitude helps and they start playing better, maybe it means they're okay being able to stay close with good teams.

That latter would be troublesome.  

Not for anything, but you’re acting like they gathered around in a circle in the locker room and cheered and yay-ed about how close they got to a good team. They didn’t seem happy about the close loss on the day. In retrospect, a team can look at what they did and be optimistic while still knowing they weren’t good enough to get it done and still need to get better. 

Saleh is about PVO. The players are going to echo much of what the coach lays out there. Just because they are not calling themselves failures doesn’t mean that they are content with a loss. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I think they’re happy that they play for a team that doesn’t give up, are proud that they they didn’t quit down 17

I think they’re happy that MW and his offense continued to move the ball, that it wasnt a one game fluke vs Chicago.

I don’t think that means that they’re happy with the results, that they’re not pissed for failing to convert just one more trip into the red zone.  

Hopefully it fires them for Buffalo and beyond 

Doesn’t give up ?  7-4 in December and yay they didn’t give up?

Can you imagine Parcells,coach K, belicheat ever making the claim to be proud that they didn’t quit?

saleh blew that game, was completely out coached by a first year coach , is totally full of sh*t and has mangled the QB position beyond repair probably 

But they didn’t quit !

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This take is honest and while I can't remotely agree with it, I appreciate you being upfront about the way you think about the team.

That a fan of a team would rather lose games than win - because of the way the game plays out. 

I mean, I think it just proves how different some fans are.

Having the right players perform well is more important than your team winning.  I always thought that's the way a lot of fans thought - and have been told my some that NO fans think like that.

Truthfully, I'm grateful for your honestly. 

This is twisting words, but I’ll play. 

Losing a game in the first few minutes is a completely different experience than losing it in the last few seconds. 

That’s because I am a fan that actually  watches all the games.  

When the Jets lose, I tend to have a dumpy day and feel like I got kicked in the nuts. I question how I can spend so much  time cheering for a team that isn’t even trying to win, and that in a way, makes ME a loser.  

After the Vikings game I was disappointed, sure, but I didn’t like a loser because we marched down the field again and again, and for the first time in a long time I had a voice in my head tell me “OMG we’re actually going  to win this thing”.  Would I have preferred a win? Yes, you dumb idiot.  But more important, the team is transitioning itself into a competitive football team.  If you can’t see that and be excited, I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, the Claw said:

Not for anything, but you’re acting like they gathered around in a circle in the locker room and cheered and yay-ed about how close they got to a good team.

When did I act like that?

Below is literally what I wrote in the original statement.

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's nice.

This idea of calling anonymous people names over the internet always fascinates me.

We have been exchanging thoughts and ideas with each other for over eight years now.  I thought you could take some playful ribbing. 

I don’t think you’re dumb, or an idiot, and I apologize if that hurt your feelings.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Can you imagine Parcells,coach K, belicheat ever making the claim to be proud that they didn’t quit?

I've heard BB say plenty of times in postgame pressers that he's proud of the way his team fought.

It's always couched within the typical coachspeak of "didn't get the job done, it wasn't good enough, need to coach / play better, give credit to them [other team], etc." BS, but he has stated as much.

I mean they lost to a 9-2 team.

I don't see how the result, as difficult as it was to accept, can be viewed as a derailing moment for this football program.