Deion Sanders

Did Prime Time really have to go to the worst Power 5 program in all of football? Colorado?! Still disappointed FSU could never bring him home. But Colorado!! 

Seems they made an aggressive commitment in his salary and the budget he gets for his staff. Then they changed the school's credit policies for transfers. With that said hope it works out for Prime Time and he makes it as the next Jets coach in 2027 ?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Did Prime Time really have to go to the worst Power 5 program in all of football? Colorado?! Still disappointed FSU could never bring him home. But Colorado!! 

Seems they made an aggressive commitment in his salary and the budget he gets for his staff. Then they changed the school's credit policies for transfers. With that said hope it works out for Prime Time and he makes it as the next Jets coach in 2027 ?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1) **** no we don’t want or need him. We need a QB

2) who am I to tell anyone about their finances, but I’m fairly certain Deon has amassed generational wealth already. What’s in it for him to go anywhere? For all his talk about loyalty and commitment to black culture, shouldn’t he have stayed within HBCUs? He was doing an absolutely phenomenal job, and was literally changing hundreds of lives. Kids and their families who maybe weren’t given the resources of prowess to make it to the next level on their own. Really wish he would have stayed the course because it really was great to see.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They've had 200 players contact them in 36 hours via the transfer portal and high school recruits. All 4 and 5 star players. I think he'll be fine.

Colorado is the perfect place for him. The team went 1-11, their QB's suck so he can play his son right away, the expectations are lower than they would be with an FSU or a program like that and he could and will take a program from the ashes and have it in the playoffs within 2 years bc of all the transfers that will be coming in. 

Colorado needed to do something big to change the equation.  This is a home run for them. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Colorado needed to do something big to change the equation.  This is a home run for them. 

He's going to have an immediate impact there.  They already got a 5 star WR to flip his recruitment from TA&M for Colorado, and there will be ALOT more to come.  He's already told the team anyone left there should just enter the portal because he's bringing all new guys in.  

Heard Rumors Mike Zimmer may go be is DC too. We'll see, but he's going to do verrryyy well there. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He's going to have an immediate impact there.  They already got a 5 star WR to flip his recruitment from TA&M for Colorado, and there will be ALOT more to come.  He's already told the team anyone left there should just enter the portal because he's bringing all new guys in.  

Heard Rumors Mike Zimmer may go be is DC too. We'll see, but he's going to do verrryyy well there. 

"We already got a few positions, covered. I'm bringing my luggage with me .. and it's LOUIE."

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They've had 200 players contact them in 36 hours via the transfer portal and high school recruits. All 4 and 5 star players. I think he'll be fine.

Colorado is the perfect place for him. The team went 1-11, their QB's suck so he can play his son right away, the expectations are lower than they would be with an FSU or a program like that and he could and will take a program from the ashes and have it in the playoffs within 2 years bc of all the transfers that will be coming in. 

This is the perfect summary. 

Deion was never going to stay in the HBCU programs if he saw success, never, not one bit, zilch. So people being disappointed that he didnt stay and "elevate" those programs is nonsense.

Colorado is absolutely the best place for him, perfect situation. sh*tty team, low key program, and now every damn player on Earth wants to go there. 

I guarantee you that upon the very next signing day, he swipes all sorts of talent from other schools. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

"We already got a few positions, covered. I'm bringing my luggage with me .. and it's LOUIE."

yeah I saw that, guys wild.  But hey it works, team was 1-11 last year right? New guys coming in and cleaning house. You dont often see it in college, but with the way the portal has opened things up for the kids and now with him getting buffalo to change their credit transfer criteria, that team is going to be able to get whoever they want. 

Alot of reports about NIL money flooding in now as well. 

Just now, JTJet said:

This is the perfect summary. 

Deion was never going to stay in the HBCU programs if he saw success, never, not one bit, zilch. So people being disappointed that he didnt stay and "elevate" those programs is nonsense.

Colorado is absolutely the best place for him, perfect situation. sh*tty team, low key program, and now every damn player on Earth wants to go there. 

I guarantee you that upon the very next signing day, he swipes all sorts of talent from other schools. 

I always feel like i dont have much of a leg to stand on in these conversations regarding HBCU, however, even without staying i do believe Deon did a great service to the HBCU's in shedding light on their programs, those games, and the players playing there. 

His games were televised regularly, they were able to upgrade their facilities greatly.  While it maybe was not for as long as people wished, the HBCU landscape is in a better place now for the time he spent there than it was before he got there.  

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He's already told the team anyone left there should just enter the portal because he's bringing all new guys in. 

That is out of context. That's not what he said. 

He was telling them to go ahead and enter the portal IF they didnt want to buy in and commit to a higher standard, because he is bringing in players that will. 

That's a big difference. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love Prime and hope he wins big there, but I felt like his speech was a little too much about Prime.  Everything was "I'm coming". 

Once the exudes is completed, I'm pretty sure he's going to changed that to "We're coming."

He, you and I know majority of those guys in that meeting room are goners. But yeah he could of spoke in terms of the program and not himself. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That is out of context. That's not what he said. 

He was telling them to go ahead and enter the portal IF they didnt want to buy in and commit to a higher standard, because he is bringing in players that will. 

That's a big difference. 

agreed, but i think it still is the sentiment that he is cleaning house and bringing in his guys, not something you see often at the college ranks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

I was hoping he would stay and continue to elevate football at HBCUs.  For all his talk, JSU was a just stepping stone to bigger and better things, and I feel bad for the kids that signed up to play at JSU for Prime Time. But that's the way it is in college football I suppose. Can't blame the guy too much for making a career move to a power 5 program, even one of the worst around. Like he said "...in coaching, you are elevated, or you get terminated" so you have to keep looking for that next bigger opportunity.

They likely can all transfer.

Personally, I think HBCU’s have a bigger opportunity with basketball. 2 or 3 top recruits makes a huge difference in basketball.

• Upvote 2

College ball, just pathetic.  The VAST majority of guys never have a shot at the pros.

You're a young player you love the game and you go to Colorado.  Then some loud mouth schmuck comes in day one and tells you to bugger off, you are off the team go find another place to play.

What happens to current payers that had scholarships?

Once the college game becomes this blatantly mercenary, they should make big changes, as in zero scholarships, none, not one.  This is he semi pros minor leagues for the nfl you pay your own way.

Come at me bros.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

I was hoping he would stay and continue to elevate football at HBCUs.  For all his talk, JSU was a just stepping stone to bigger and better things, and I feel bad for the kids that signed up to play at JSU for Prime Time. But that's the way it is in college football I suppose. Can't blame the guy too much for making a career move to a power 5 program, even one of the worst around. Like he said "...in coaching, you are elevated, or you get terminated" so you have to keep looking for that next bigger opportunity.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

College ball, just pathetic.  The VAST majority of guys never have a shot at the pros.

You're a young player you love the game and you go to Colorado.  Then some loud mouth schmuck comes in day one and tells you to bugger off, you are off the team go find another place to play.

Once the college game becomes this blatantly mercenary, they should make big changes, as in zero scholarships, none, not one.  This is he semi pros minor leagues for the nfl you pay your own way.

Come at me bros.

Not going to "come at you", but I do think you're being overly judgmental in this one case, as are many folks here.  

This is the way the system works, period, end stop.  White Coaches have been doing this regularly for ages.  It could feel a bit off-putting when the criticism rises much higher than the norm the second a black coach does it.  I doubt that is your (or others here) intent, of course, but it could certainly be read that way quite easily.  Black coaches face a different level of this kind of abuse than white coaches do, especially coaches from HBC's.

What's the saying, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Hating the NCAA's rules is fine.  I agree, it's a Pro league at this point, and should be run like one, but then again, so is college basketball too.  Only the small unprofitable sports aren't.

What happens to existing Colorado players, most of whom suck if their record is any indication, is the same that would happen any other time any other coach would take on that job from outside.  They'll all get re-evaluated, and some will lose their Athletic Scholarships as better players are brought in.  Again, same that happens any time a new Coach arrives.  No one is guaranteed a free ride, and the players can also go elsewhere if football is the most important thing to them but they're not good enough to play at that level (as determined by the Coaches).  Same thing happens in all sports, and even in academics for low performance.  No one is owed a free ride.

As for Deion leaving a HBC for a big school, sorry, but that's just how it works.  HBC's are not at the level Deion clearly wants to be, ultimately, and who are we to judge his ultimate career goals?  I think he wants to be an NFL Head Coach, or a top-end College coach, as most coaches do, and rising up the ranks in college is how that has to happens for him, and this is the way that has to happen for a Black Coach.  The great big schools aren't going to hire him directly from a HBC, and the NFL sure as hell isn't.  Even with his big name and pro resume.  So he has to go to a poop big school at the higher level first and prove himself.

Everything in sports, at every level, is "mercenary" and everyone in it is self-interested.  As they should be, enlightened self-interest should be our guiding principle for things like jobs.  Deion is no different than any other player or coach, as in taking the opportunities that arise.  You think if some Colorado star was lured away by Alabama he wouldn't transfer?  Lol, come on.

I wish Deion well in his new place in Colorado.  He was never a favorite of mine per se, but he's always been interesting, and it's interesting to see how his coaching career path goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, BeaconJet said:

My thoughts exactly. He was doing great things at JSU, and for HBCUs in general, but he's right, in life you're either one step towards a better opportunity or one step towards the unemployment line....

59 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Personally, I think HBCU’s have a bigger opportunity with basketball. 2 or 3 top recruits makes a huge difference in basketball.

This is a great point, however with the NBA set to eliminate the one year removed from HS rule in a few years, in addition to building their G-League as a legitimate farm system the opportunity won't be there in the future as it would have been let's say 10 years ago

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I agree with you but look at this. 

Nepotism is a thing.  We all hate it, yet we all do it (mostly) when given the chance and the power without repercussion.

Family, friends, old co-workers, who here hasn't hired someone we already know for a job to the exclusion of other, potentially better qualified candidates?

Coach Prime is the man, love that dude. 

My prayer is Mike Norvell has another another spectacular 9-3/8-4 season whey they get smoked by every good team they play, dont make the ACC chap game and storm the field for beating another unraked .500 ball club so that they commit to him long term and stay forever mediocre so that Coach Prime is never hired at that program.  

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not going to "come at you", but I do think you're being overly judgmental in this one case, as are many folks here.  

This is the way the system works, period, end stop.  White Coaches have been doing this regularly for ages.  It could feel a bit off-putting when the criticism rises much higher than the norm the second a black coach does it.  I doubt that is your (or others here) intent, of course, but it could certainly be read that way quite easily.  Black coaches face a different level of this kind of abuse than white coaches do, especially coaches from HBC's.

What's the saying, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Hating the NCAA's rules is fine.  I agree, it's a Pro league at this point, and should be run like one, but then again, so is college basketball too.  Only the small unprofitable sports aren't.

What happens to existing Colorado players, most of whom suck if their record is any indication, is the same that would happen any other time any other coach would take on that job from outside.  They'll all get re-evaluated, and some will lose their Athletic Scholarships as better players are brought in.  Again, same that happens any time a new Coach arrives.  No one is guaranteed a free ride, and the players can also go elsewhere if football is the most important thing to them but they're not good enough to play at that level (as determined by the Coaches).  Same thing happens in all sports, and even in academics for low performance.  No one is owed a free ride.

As for Deion leaving a HBC for a big school, sorry, but that's just how it works.  HBC's are not at the level Deion clearly wants to be, ultimately, and who are we to judge his ultimate career goals?  I think he wants to be an NFL Head Coach, or a top-end College coach, as most coaches do, and rising up the ranks in college is how that has to happens for him, and this is the way that has to happen for a Black Coach.  The great big schools aren't going to hire him directly from a HBC, and the NFL sure as hell isn't.  Even with his big name and pro resume.  So he has to go to a poop big school at the higher level first and prove himself.

Everything in sports, at every level, is "mercenary" and everyone in it is self-interested.  As they should be, enlightened self-interest should be our guiding principle for things like jobs.  Deion is no different than any other player or coach, as in taking the opportunities that arise.  You think if some Colorado star was lured away by Alabama he wouldn't transfer?  Lol, come on.

I wish Deion well in his new place in Colorado.  He was never a favorite of mine per se, but he's always been interesting, and it's interesting to see how his coaching career path goes.

This is the way the system works, period, end stop. 

Yes, it is a relatively new system thus a need for new rules, right now there appears to be none.  Is College football a minor legua feeder sytem for the pros or is it a place to get an education and if things go just right you have a pro career.

White Coaches have been doing this regularly for ages.

I have no idea why you brought race into this argument, it has nothing to do with it and I never mentioned it.  Also, no white coaches have not been doing this for ages, the transfer portal and pretty well free movement of players has only been in existence for a few years, there were large impediments for transferring before and certainty none of this "You all may as well leave i am bring in a whole new team."

What happens to existing Colorado players, most of whom suck if their record is any indication, is the same that would happen any other time any other coach would take on that job from outside.

So college ball is indeed just a feeder league in which a few players will make it to the NFL, education and where you want to get one and play ball has nothing to do with it.  If the team sucks then so be it someone has to suck.

Deion going to a bigger problem is fine, I never said a thing against it, you move up the line nothing wrong with it.  I'm sure Deion will do just fine.

Lets say I am a pretty good football player from Colorado, not a great potential pro but a good player, I am from Colorao, my dad and uncles went to Colorado.  I am studying business and playing ball.

Coach A, B or C comes in and day one says F*ck off I am bringing in players from all over the country.  Well you ave two choices, you leave the college you love or you give up football.

And of course as time goes on to keep up every team will have to do this, have a bad year one years?  boot haf your team and go get new ones.

This is college football, should be education 1st and sports 2nd, I am nt naive enough to think that is the case for everyone or even most of the very too players but the players who have a real shot at the pros are very very small.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is the way the system works, period, end stop. 

Yes, it is a relatively new system thus a need for new rules, right now there appears to be none.  Is College football a minor legua feeder sytem for the pros or is it a place to get an education and if things go just right you have a pro career.

It's quite clearly a for-profit enterprise for the colleges, first and foremost, and a minor league system for the NFL and NBA, second.

I presume you weren't serious about it being about education.  Club sports can more than adequately handle that aspect. 

White Coaches have been doing this regularly for ages.

I have no idea why you brought race into this argument, it has nothing to do with it and I never mentioned it.  Also, no white coaches have not been doing this for ages, the transfer portal and pretty well free movement of players has only been in existence for a few years, there were large impediments for transferring before and certainty none of this "You all may as well leave i am bring in a whole new team."

I brought race into the discussion, because it is inseparable from it when it comes to the disparate treatment of white coaches and minority coaches in pro sports, specifically football, and the media and fan reaction levels to the same.  

And again, stated or unstated "You all may as well leave i am bring in a whole new team." is the reality any time any new Coach takes over a DI top-end program with a 1 win season the prior year.  In the past, kids were simply cut from the team or didn't make the next seasons team.  With limited option to go elsewhere.  At least now they have options too.

What happens to existing Colorado players, most of whom suck if their record is any indication, is the same that would happen any other time any other coach would take on that job from outside.

So college ball is indeed just a feeder league in which a few players will make it to the NFL, education and where you want to get one and play ball has nothing to do with it.  If the team sucks then so be it someone has to suck.

No one is owned a free ride for playing sports my friend.  

"Where I want to play" is irrelevant if I'm not good enough to play there.  I didn't get to play where I wanted.  Did you?  Lots of kids don;t get everything they want just because they want it.  

And as noted above, big time college sports have absolutely nothing to do with education.

To answer your question, a Colorado student who plays football now, but won't under Deion, can stay and play Club Football and continue their education at Colorado, if indeed their education at Colorado is their primary motivation for being at Colorado.

Lets say I am a pretty good football player from Colorado, not a great potential pro but a good player, I am from Colorao, my dad and uncles went to Colorado.  I am studying business and playing ball.

Coach A, B or C comes in and day one says F*ck off I am bringing in players from all over the country.  Well you ave two choices, you leave the college you love or you give up football.

Or you play Club Football, but yes.  This is the truth at every single big school in America. 

You seem to think that your hypothetical student is owned some sort of life debt from Colorado in perpetuity, regardless of their sucking at their sport, or changes in staff, or failing out, or anything else.  You are incorrect fundamentally here.  Athletic scholarships have almost always been a year to year thing.  Kids have lost scholarships to play sports since such scholarships existed.

While I appreciate your distaste for this system, this is not new or abnormal.  Happily the NCAA at least now allows the kids to move, not just the coaches.

And of course as time goes on to keep up every team will have to do this, have a bad year one years?  boot haf your team and go get new ones.

You seem to believe this wasn't already the case.  I apologize, but I get the distinct feeling you don't have much experience with scholarships at colleges or how they work or what happens when coaching staffs change over.

This is college football, should be education 1st and sports 2nd, I am nt naive enough to think that is the case for everyone or even most of the very too players but the players who have a real shot at the pros are very very small.

The idea that big time college sports is about education is naive.

I agree with you, keep in mind, I have advocated here at JN in past discussion to cut big time sports out of college into their own minor leagues, and legally require colleges to do it.  The system is detestable, mostly for it's exploitation of the kids as free high-skill labor.  

But again, it is what it is, and I just cannot recall this kind of response previously for you when other coaches did this exact same thing, if a bit less loudly.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

Deion has done more for the entirety of Jackson State in 3 years then their alumni has ever done. You can hate what he did but he was honest the entire time about considering offers from bigger schools and he never once said any different. He probably brought in more revenue for that school in 3 years than they've brought in the last 20. It's up to the school to now continue on what he started. They can choose to fall back into mediocrity or continue along the path that Deion started.  Deion owes them nothing. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Come at me bros.

They were 1-11 and the new coach was undefeated at his last job and is a hall of fame NFL player. If I was a player there I’d be excited and try and make his team. Things can only go up there. 

• Upvote 3