Micheal Clemons has the Flu - It's Bad ...

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

Interesting.  Do teams administer flu shots to the players? If not, should they, even if just to soften the blow to those who get the flu?

I have mixed feelings about the flu shot.  The only damn time in 43 years I ever had the flu was when my doctor finally convinced me to get it.  Let's just say he doesn't ask me anymore....

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Haha, here we go.  I hear that all the time and always smile.  

Anyone who has ever had the real flu will never forget it.  Your body feels like you got hit by a truck.  They're usually happy to get the stick after that.  Vaccines don't always prevent the disease, they mitigate it.  That said, everybody do what you want with your own bag of bones but always be thankful for these little medical miracles that eradicate polio, smallpox, whooping cough, measles, mumps, Hepatitis B, tetanus, chickenpox, etc.  

I still can't believe kids don't get Chickenpox anymore.  Remember the Chickenpox parties to just get it over with?! 

I was simply stating that I never had the flu until I received a shot, Not saying it was right or wrong.  Hell, I laid on the couch for 4 days with a 105 fever and every COVID symptom there was but tested negative.  ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Anyone who has ever had the real flu will never forget it.  Your body feels like you got hit by a truck.  They're usually happy to get the stick after that.  Vaccines don't always prevent the disease, they mitigate it.  That said, everybody do what you want with your own bag of bones but always be thankful for these little medical miracles that eradicate polio, smallpox, whooping cough, measles, mumps, Hepatitis B, tetanus, chickenpox, etc.  

I still can't believe kids don't get Chickenpox anymore.  Remember the Chickenpox parties to just get it over with?! 

You had me right up until the last paragraph. 

having chicken pox as a child is not necessarily a bad thing…in fact, let’s wait and call that one until an entire generation of chicken pox naive adults who don’t follow their antibody titers start getting it later in life when it is much more dangerous.  There are things you should attempt to vaccinate against, and some I’m not so sure. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

having chicken pox as a child is not necessarily a bad thing…in fact, let’s wait and call that one until an entire generation of chicken pox naive adults who don’t follow their antibody titers start getting it later in life when it is much more dangerous.  There are things you should attempt to vaccinate against, and some I’m not so sure. 

Isn’t that what shingles vaccine is for?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

5-10 percent of people get the flu each year.  Many don’t get a bad case of it because most don’t feel like they got hit by a truck. 

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The flu vaccine is no where near as effective as the other ones you mentioned. It's only fighting a specific set of strains and has a much lower rate of effectiveness. Apples and Oranges.

Flu mutates at a crazy clip with its whorish DNA swaps. The brilliant scientists and statisticians combine their 3 best guesses at variants to make the annual vax.  

There’s no downside for me personally so I’m happy to get the jab.  Again, everybody has their own bag of bones to do as they please.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Let’s discuss in 40 years

Maybe a booster at 50 would be a simple fix.

——-

A joke 

A cardiac anesthesiologist is flying across the country for a conference, when a flight attendant comes running down the aisle, shouting, "Is anyone on board a cardiac anesthesiologist?!?!"

The anesthesiologist raises his hand and announces his presence, and asks what the problem is, and whether anyone is sick.

"Oh, no, no one's sick, but there's a cardiac surgeon up in first class who needs his table adjusted.

? 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Let’s discuss in 40 years

Maybe a booster at 50 would be a simple fix.

——-

A joke 

A cardiac anesthesiologist is flying across the country for a conference, when a flight attendant comes running down the aisle, shouting, "Is anyone on board a cardiac anesthesiologist?!?!"

The anesthesiologist raises his hand and announces his presence, and asks what the problem is, and whether anyone is sick.

"Oh, no, no one's sick, but there's a cardiac surgeon up in first class who needs his table adjusted.

? 

Lol.  Thx for that ;)!  I deserve it!

anyway, you are correct that a booster later in life would be beneficial to the immunized; but everyone’s response to the vaccine is varied in length…you would need to check antibody titers. Personally, I know MANY 30 y.o’s -40 y.o.’s that don’t go regularly to any physician. Not that they necessarily need to, they’re in perfect health. So who now knows if they’re still ‘immunized’?  Answer is, you don’t. Getting chicken pox as a child confers lifetime immunity by most studies…vaccine?  10-20 years…and getting VZV (chicken pox) is not a laughing matter as the immune system response is much more pronounced. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I have mixed feelings about the flu shot.  The only damn time in 43 years I ever had the flu was when my doctor finally convinced me to get it.  Let's just say he doesn't ask me anymore....

It’s no longer a live virus shot BUT I ain’t taking it. Had a flu shot numerous years ago and practically dropped dead sick. Never again. 

18 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Next year, the flu is going to get the Michael Clemons vaccine.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I get a shot every year. I only had the flu once in 62 years. It works. 

i'm glad it apparently works for you.  i have never gotten a shot and yet very similar results at same age.
more importantly is that we can research and discuss and make our choices on it. best to you all.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Interesting.  Do teams administer flu shots to the players? If not, should they, even if just to soften the blow to those who get the flu?

Hell yes they should.  Even if it doesn't help with the flu the tracking function is awesome.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I get a shot every year. I only had the flu once in 62 years. It works. 

I get the flu shot every year for the past 40 years.  About 4 years ago, I got the flu shot, and about 2 months later, got the flu.  The flu shot only prevents about 40% or so infections, and their are different strains of the flu;  Influenza type A and influenza type B.  You get the shot for what the experts feel are most prevalent for that year.  

Although I got the flu, I got onto TheraFlu right away, and my flu only lasted 3 days.  I was fine after that.  My thought is that both taking TheraFlu and getting the flu shot helped lessen the length of my illness.  But when I got the flu, it was like a car fell on top of me.

I think Shingles is the result of the Chicken Pox Vaccine.

Before the Vaxx, older generations (parents, grandparents) who all had Chicken Pox back in their day would routinely become exposed to Chicken Pox over and over as their kids, grandkids all got sick with it. That continued exposure ensured their immune system stayed top notch against the Pox.

But then the Chicken Pox Vaxx came along, children started getting the Vaxx (instead of getting Chicken Pox) and older generations stopped getting regular exposure to the Pox. As a result, our immune against the Pox waned over time, and Pox re-surges as Shingles.

Do I have that right??? I just got my Shingles vaxx. Had Chicken Pox many moons ago, and don't want those itchy little spots again.