Micheal Clemons has the Flu - It's Bad ...

44 minutes ago, Alka said:

I get the flu shot every year for the past 40 years.  About 4 years ago, I got the flu shot, and about 2 months later, got the flu.  The flu shot only prevents about 40% or so infections, and their are different strains of the flu;  Influenza type A and influenza type B.  You get the shot for what the experts feel are most prevalent for that year.  

Although I got the flu, I got onto TheraFlu right away, and my flu only lasted 3 days.  I was fine after that.  My thought is that both taking TheraFlu and getting the flu shot helped lessen the length of my illness.  But when I got the flu, it was like a car fell on top of me.

Actually it a total crap shoot they base it on the what the Flu was in Australia. They never get it right as there are tons of strains.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I think Shingles is the result of the Chicken Pox Vaccine.

Before the Vaxx, older generations (parents, grandparents) who all had Chicken Pox back in their day would routinely become exposed to Chicken Pox over and over as their kids, grandkids all got sick with it. That continued exposure ensured their immune system stayed top notch against the Pox.

But then the Chicken Pox Vaxx came along, children started getting the Vaxx (instead of getting Chicken Pox) and older generations stopped getting regular exposure to the Pox. As a result, our immune against the Pox waned over time, and Pox re-surges as Shingles.

Do I have that right??? I just got my Shingles vaxx. Had Chicken Pox many moons ago, and don't want those itchy little spots again.

Well while the CP Vaccinne is a weakened live virus, and in theory the weakened virus could go dormant in the dorsal ganglion cells just like a real case of CP and cause shingles , experts tODAY say that would be ‘very rare’.  I’m not quite sure how they know that however as a. Shingles usually occurs later in life usually past age 60 and b. The CP vaccine has only been around like 25 years so few of the people who were vaccinated are older than 60. I’d say the jury is still out, but that’s JMO. 

your middle paragraph detailing waning immunity certainly holds true for the vaccinated, but even before the vaccine, an actual CP infection conferred life long immunity. Heck…when I went back in the military at age 54 they checked my antibody titer to VZV and it was still good 48 years after I had CP. 

it is true though that the incidence of Shingles seems to be increasing (tho no government stats are really collected) and a lot of that I think may be people living longer…not so sure it’s the vaccine 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I get the flu shot every year for the past 40 years.  About 4 years ago, I got the flu shot, and about 2 months later, got the flu.  The flu shot only prevents about 40% or so infections, and their are different strains of the flu;  Influenza type A and influenza type B.  You get the shot for what the experts feel are most prevalent for that year.  

Although I got the flu, I got onto TheraFlu right away, and my flu only lasted 3 days.  I was fine after that.  My thought is that both taking TheraFlu and getting the flu shot helped lessen the length of my illness.  But when I got the flu, it was like a car fell on top of me.

I think I got the flu about the same time as you. I took Tamaflu that was prescribed to me. It was much better after about 24 hours but it lingered for like a whole week

• Upvote 1