How does this years Receiver Class Match up so far with the Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb Class?

JetBlue

I remember that class was supposed to be the perhaps the best receiver class ever and certainly has it share of superstars, stars and also solid contributing receivers springled through out the league.   J. Jefferson, Lamb, Duvernay, Judy, V. Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Aiyuk, Gabe Davis, Michael Pittman, to name just a few, are all either 1s, 2s or 3s for their respective teams.  There are still several others who are tier below.  Juan Jennings comes to mind...  Of cours Henry Ruggs was on his way to stardom when he made the stupidiest decision of his life and is now paying the price for it. 

This years Class certainly has it work cut out for them to be considered but so far the results are very good.  

Obviously it is early but you have to like what you see in this years class.  There are a legit 5 or 6 recievers who have true number 1 potential and several others that could develop into quality 2 or 3s.    In no particular order: 

1. Garrett Wilson - Nothing needs to be stated here; we get to see this kid week in and week out and already know what he is capable of.  I can only imagine his stats if he played with an above average quarterback all year. 

2. Drake London - He started off a bit slow (not sure if it was injury) but with the injury to their all world TE, he has been looking good.  I expect him to finish off the season strong. 

3. Chris Alave - He has to be in offensive rookie of the year conversations and has basically picked up where he left off at Ohio State.  

4. George Pickens - Great ball skills but must improve his route running.  If he does so the sky is definitely the limit for him.   

5. Christian Watson - Started off slow but right now could be considered the best receiver from this draft.  Tremendous speed but much more than a 1 trick pony.  Has shown great hands and is developing into Aaron Rogers favorite target.  Watching him burn DBs with his 6'4 size and blazing speed, I get flashbacks of Randy Moss. 

6. Jahan Dotson - Another uber talented receiver who as not gotten as many snaps but you can see the ability and has a very bright future. 

7. Romeo Doubs - Already a key piece to his teams offense.   He might be considered the steal of this receiver class if it werent for the next guy on this list.

8. Alec Pierce - Wow, is it possible to call him a "poor mans Christian Watson"??   This dude has flashed excellent deep speed and great ability to track the ball just like Watson.  At 6'3 he is a unicorn like Watson.   

9. Sky Moore - He went to the perfect team in the Chiefs.  He has made a few plays in that offense and I see a bigger role for him as the season goes on or definitely next season. 

I am sure I probably missed a receiver or two.  Now that Jameson Williams is healthy it will be interesting to see what he does the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, JetBlue said:

I remember that class was supposed to be the perhaps the best receiver class ever and certainly has it share of superstars, stars and also solid contributing receivers springled through out the league.   J. Jefferson, Lamb, Duvernay, Judy, V. Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Aiyuk, Gabe Davis, Michael Pittman, to name just a few, are all either 1s, 2s or 3s for their respective teams.  There are still several others who are tier below.  Juan Jennings comes to mind...  Of cours Henry Ruggs was on his way to stardom when he made the stupidiest decision of his life and is now paying the price for it. 

This years Class certainly has it work cut out for them to be considered but so far the results are very good.  

Obviously it is early but you have to like what you see in this years class.  There are a legit 5 or 6 recievers who have true number 1 potential and several others that could develop into quality 2 or 3s.    In no particular order: 

1. Garrett Wilson - Nothing needs to be stated here; we get to see this kid week in and week out and already know what he is capable of.  I can only imagine his stats if he played with an above average quarterback all year. 

2. Drake London - He started off a bit slow (not sure if it was injury) but with the injury to their all world TE, he has been looking good.  I expect him to finish off the season strong. 

3. Chris Alave - He has to be in offensive rookie of the year conversations and has basically picked up where he left off at Ohio State.  

4. George Pickens - Great ball skills but must improve his route running.  If he does so the sky is definitely the limit for him.   

5. Christian Watson - Started off slow but right now could be considered the best receiver from this draft.  Tremendous speed but much more than a 1 trick pony.  Has shown great hands and is developing into Aaron Rogers favorite target.  Watching him burn DBs with his 6'4 size and blazing speed, I get flashbacks of Randy Moss. 

6. Jahan Dotson - Another uber talented receiver who as not gotten as many snaps but you can see the ability and has a very bright future. 

7. Romeo Doubs - Already a key piece to his teams offense.   He might be considered the steal of this receiver class if it werent for the next guy on this list.

8. Alec Pierce - Wow, is it possible to call him a "poor mans Christian Watson"??   This dude has flashed excellent deep speed and great ability to track the ball just like Watson.  At 6'3 he is a unicorn like Watson.   

9. Sky Moore - He went to the perfect team in the Chiefs.  He has made a few plays in that offense and I see a bigger role for him as the season goes on or definitely next season. 

I am sure I probably missed a receiver or two.  Now that Jameson Williams is healthy it will be interesting to see what he does the rest of the season. 

Little off topic, but Ceedee Lamb might be the most overrated WR since Michael Thomas... He's good, definitely a playmaker, but he's no Alpha and depends too much on being schemed open. It's why he's found his home the slot. 

Still stand on the take--  Tee Higgins >>> Lamb

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

Little off topic, but Ceedee Lamb might be the most overrated WR since Michael Thomas... He's good, definitely a playmaker, but he's no Alpha and depends too much on being schemed open. It's why he's found his home the slot. 

I don't know, he seems to be getting better every week.  I do like Higgins though.   

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't know, he seems to be getting better every week.  I do like Higgins though.   

Ehh…. He is a dynamic weapon, so i am splitting hairs I guess. 

Anyway, to your OP; no. I don’t think so. Not yet. Sky Moore hasn’t lived up to the hype, Doubs and Pierce have been predictably inconsistent (albeit as rookies), and Watson has been as advertised - boom or bust and injury prone. That’s my jaded view anyway. Burks has been better than I expected from a “hit the ground running perspective, I will say tho. Ultimately I only see (at present) Wilson, Drake and Pickens also long term WR1… tho Dotson has a chance to tip the scales and turns this good class into a great class

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think it’s early to say this class was better. We tend to have glass half full views on guys when they’re younger. Think about how guys like Jeudy, Claypool, and even Mims were viewed after their rookie year and even before this season versus how they’re viewed now.

And it’s going to be tough to match the star power of Jefferson. I know I didn’t like him this much but I liked him more than consensus and in retrospect he was so easy.

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

Any X’s you like this class or haven’t dug in yet? I think it’s very clearly a need and they have to keep building on offense one way or another.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ehh…. He is a dynamic weapon, so i am splitting hairs I guess. 

Anyway, to your OP; no. I don’t think so. Not yet. Sky Moore hasn’t lived up to the hype, Doubs and Pierce have been predictably inconsistent (albeit as rookies), and Watson has been as advertised - boom or bust and injury prone. That’s my jaded view anyway. Burks has been better than I expected from a “hit the ground running perspective, I will say tho. Ultimately I only see (at present) Wilson, Drake and Pickens also long term WR1… tho Dotson has a chance to tip the scales and turns this good class into a great class

What about Alave?  He is actually better than I thought he would be.  If he is not a 1 he is definitely a solid 2.   I think you are being a bit harsh on Watson.  He has been more than just a Boom or Bust player and has not just a deep threat.  Considering where he went to school, I think he is having an outstanding rookie year.  Remember we are comparing these guys as rookies to players how have been the league for 3 years.   I am trying to exrtrapolate what they will look like in a couple of years as a group.   I agree about Dotson as he was not used much earlier in the year but has been very impressive as late.   I didn't mention Burks and you are correct; if hits on his huge potential, I think he could also be a number 1 in a few years.... 

On 12/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, derp said:

Yeah I think it’s early to say this class was better. We tend to have glass half full views on guys when they’re younger. Think about how guys like Jeudy, Claypool, and even Mims were viewed after their rookie year and even before this season versus how they’re viewed now.

And it’s going to be tough to match the star power of Jefferson. I know I didn’t like him this much but I liked him more than consensus and in retrospect he was so easy.

Any X’s you like this class or haven’t dug in yet? I think it’s very clearly a need and they have to keep building on offense one way or another.

Totally agree about developing an X.   This team lacks anyone who can make contested catches and is a threat in the red zone.   I kinda like Rashee Rice from SMU for that role.  Not a burner but actually has really good short area quickness for a bigger guy.   Probably going to be a late second/early 3rd round guy.   

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree about developing an X.   This team lacks anyone who can make contested catches and is a threat in the red zone.   I kinda like Rashee Rice from SMU for that role.  Not a burner but actually has really good short area quickness for a bigger guy.   Probably going to be a late second/early 3rd round guy.   

I absolutely like Rice as a prospect and I thought the size/production combo was interesting. Saw a ton of perimeter contested stuff when I watched highlights a little, which was great but also reminiscent of Mims to me.

In a couple of ways - quarterback situation as well and then obviously receiver - I don’t love how this offensive coaching staff has utilized personnel as it meshes with the scheme and the areas where the team struggles. It’s very evident that they need perimeter threats to create better space and yet they won’t play someone like Mims - who’s inconsistent but has absolutely flashed in that capacity.

Maybe someone like Rice learns other positions better - I just worry a little he’d have the same fate here.

Alternatively Wilson has looked good as the perimeter target hog and the system has used guys less traditional X and roughly like him physically as the primary receiver (thinking Garçon in Washington with the Shanahans). They still need size and it’d be probably more cost effective to find a bigger dude who’s comfortable inside to play as a big slot - it’s worked in a shoot off of the system with Kupp and a bigger slot who’d could bully nickels a little more would work in the run game too. And that’d obviously give red zone. Not as much help on the perimeter where on one hand I wish they had more horizontal stretch but also nobody really to take deep shots to. 

Need to dig a little more but I do like AT Perry too and he might function in the slot context. He moves like he’s smaller than he is (in a good way).

I do like Quentin Johnston too but much like the quarterback situation I really have no faith in the coaching staff to develop him. Do want to see more shots at improving skill talent though, eventually put whoever’s at QB in a better situation.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I absolutely like Rice as a prospect and I thought the size/production combo was interesting. Saw a ton of perimeter contested stuff when I watched highlights a little, which was great but also reminiscent of Mims to me.

In a couple of ways - quarterback situation as well and then obviously receiver - I don’t love how this offensive coaching staff has utilized personnel as it meshes with the scheme and the areas where the team struggles. It’s very evident that they need perimeter threats to create better space and yet they won’t play someone like Mims - who’s inconsistent but has absolutely flashed in that capacity.

Maybe someone like Rice learns other positions better - I just worry a little he’d have the same fate here.

Alternatively Wilson has looked good as the perimeter target hog and the system has used guys less traditional X and roughly like him physically as the primary receiver (thinking Garçon in Washington with the Shanahans). They still need size and it’d be probably more cost effective to find a bigger dude who’s comfortable inside to play as a big slot - it’s worked in a shoot off of the system with Kupp and a bigger slot who’d could bully nickels a little more would work in the run game too. And that’d obviously give red zone. Not as much help on the perimeter where on one hand I wish they had more horizontal stretch but also nobody really to take deep shots to. 

Need to dig a little more but I do like AT Perry too and he might function in the slot context. He moves like he’s smaller than he is (in a good way).

I do like Quentin Johnston too but much like the quarterback situation I really have no faith in the coaching staff to develop him. Do want to see more shots at improving skill talent though, eventually put whoever’s at QB in a better situation.

What I like about Rice is that he’s more than athletic enough to play multiple positions.   He can function as an X, but has the lateral mobility to be effective inside.   His build is ideal, 6’2” and around 205 pounds.   He isn’t a lanky 185 pound guy.  

While the system doesn’t necessarily rely on a traditional X, we have seen where having a guy who can play that role would be extremely  valuable.  Rice can be a MUCH better version of Corey Davis in this offense, while also offering more versatility.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

What I like about Rice is that he’s more than athletic enough to play multiple positions.   He can function as an X, but has the lateral mobility to be effective inside.   His build is ideal, 6’2” and around 205 pounds.   He isn’t a lanky 185 pound guy.  

While the system doesn’t necessarily rely on a traditional X, we have seen where having a guy who can play that role would be extremely  valuable.  Rice can be a MUCH better version of Corey Davis in this offense, while also offering more versatility.   

Yeah I’m a huge fan of the 6’2, 205 build for the exact same reasons you said. Also different than the 6’3+ 220+ guys who I love but need to be pretty much absolute freaks to not be too rocked up to move.

I didn’t watch enough of Rice honestly to see how he moves on stuff in the middle of the field but I think as you alluded to there were flashes. Wonder if he plays at the Senior Bowl, it’d probably be informative to see him asked to do a little different stuff from what SMU asked.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah I’m a huge fan of the 6’2, 205 build for the exact same reasons you said. Also different than the 6’3+ 220+ guys who I love but need to be pretty much absolute freaks to not be too rocked up to move.

I didn’t watch enough of Rice honestly to see how he moves on stuff in the middle of the field but I think as you alluded to there were flashes. Wonder if he plays at the Senior Bowl, it’d probably be informative to see him asked to do a little different stuff from what SMU asked.

He’s accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl, so we should see him workout there.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, JetBlue said:

What about Alave?  He is actually better than I thought he would be.  If he is not a 1 he is definitely a solid 2.   I think you are being a bit harsh on Watson.  He has been more than just a Boom or Bust player and has not just a deep threat.  Considering where he went to school, I think he is having an outstanding rookie year.  Remember we are comparing these guys as rookies to players how have been the league for 3 years.   I am trying to exrtrapolate what they will look like in a couple of years as a group.   I agree about Dotson as he was not used much earlier in the year but has been very impressive as late.   I didn't mention Burks and you are correct; if hits on his huge potential, I think he could also be a number 1 in a few years.... 

If I'm being honest, I haven't watched a combined 10 mins of NOS this year... I expected Olave to be a high end #2, kind of an Elijah Moore if that makes sense. You're right about Watson; in that he's stacked enough big games together now that i have to give him his due... I have seen some bad drops, sloppy routes and he's been nicked up -- but the fact remains that he keeps making big plays. So maybe there's something real there. We'll see. I would have bet on him to be one that "busted" out of the top tier, and he's proved me wrong thus far. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

On 12/26/2022 at 6:22 PM, derp said:

We're in dire need of a boundary guy. GW is versatile enough to provide relief often, but if its 1st and goal from the 5, or you have a go route against a bigger DB like Woolen on 3rd and 8 and they've taken away the inside...  

QJ (bit scared of him) is way out of reach. there's not a lot of height in size in this class tbh. The more i've looked, the more i've cooled on the group as "special"... Admittedly I have not spend time on Rice, but AT Perry and Jared Wayne have some potential. I'm not sure Wayne has the game speed to be a dynamo, but he has good hands and natural feel for attacking the ball. If he's your boundary guy in 3 sets with GW and EM, that's nice...

Perry is... interesting. He flashes big play potential and seems to have no problem with contested catches, but he's also wildly undisciplined. Hands/arms all all over the place, sloppy footwork, "tops" of the route need a lot of work. But the intrigue is there.