Can The Offense Be Good Enough To Support The Defense For A Deep Postseason Run?

They've now had a few good weeks of practicing together so MW and his receivers should be on the same page.... not that they weren't but even more so now. I'd say if the OL holds up against Buff, then we have a good chance to win this game. Diggs will be key for Buff and shutting him down, but this time we need to shadow Allen. No 15-17 yard runs, and especially for TD's...

On paper, I think this offense has enough talent to get us to the AFCCG, depending on the opponents we face*1. For a comparison, I look at the 09-10 playoff teams. I think this offense, has more talent than those previous offenses, with the exception of offensive line*2, but any OL is greatly benefited by a QB and system that gets the ball out quickly, and I think this OL has done an admirable job in recent weeks when the QB isn't holding on to the ball and running into pressure.

The biggest difference to me, between this team and the 09-10 teams, is consistency both on offense and defense. With the exception of QB, those 09-10 teams pretty much hit the ground running, with the occasional lapse every now and then, IIRC. This 2022 team is still breaking the surface of what it can be, and that adds a lot of uncertainty to their future performance. At this point, I could see the defense continue to gel and become top-5 (or 3 or 1 or whatever) while the offense plays at an average-high enough level to skate deep into the playoffs, just as easily as I could see them struggle just enough with growing pains to keep them out of the playoffs altogether.

Time will tell, and tomorrow will be a great start.

*1I don't pay attention to the rest of the NFL, so I can't speak on the quality of any potential competition.

*2 And maybe RB, but that's debatable. That Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene, and Leon Washington trio was fantastic in '09 and LT was a great addition in '10, but, without injuries, I think a trio of Breece Hall, Michael Carter, and Bam Knight could easily surpass those squads. I'm very excited to this group healthy together next season.

56 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the general feeling is that this team is ahead of schedule and that we should lower expectations this year.   Tbh, I kind of feel that way myself.   But when I look at it a little more closely, I see something a little different.

I think most people agree the defense is championship caliber and the ST is solid enough.  So that really only leaves the offense in question.

QB: This has been discussed plenty on here.  We're still seeing what MW is but the early signs look good.  ZW has potential though it feels like he's lost right now.

RB: Despite losing Breece Lightning, we've seen the emergence of Bam Knight.  MC is talented too and Ty Johnson isn't bad.  James Robinson can add something too if he gets healthy

WR: GW is a star and getting better each week.  Eli Moore has under-performed but has potential.  Corey Davis runs hot-and-cold but has ability.  Mimsy has ability too.

TE: Conklin has been up-and-down (though down lately).  Uzomah is a decent player (with a great attitude).  I still think Ruckert can be an ace-in-the-hole kind of guy if given the chance.  Let's see

OL: We've been decimated with injuries in this unit but we still have Duane Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Connor McGovern, Nate Herbig and George Fant.  (And LDT as a backup).  That should be good enough.

OC: MiLF has not been great but I remember I was also really down on Ulbrich at one point too.  Now things are the reverse.  So let's not give up on MiLF just yet.

VERDICT:

Overall, I don't see why this offense can't be good enough to get the job done.  While we're far from perfect, we're NOT badly lacking in any area.  We're a defensive team first but there's no reason the offense can't be competent.  Imo, it can be better than just "competent" as long as MW continues what he's been doing so far.  And when you look at things that way, there's no reason why this team can't go on a deep postseason run.  

Next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the general feeling is that this team is ahead of schedule and that we should lower expectations this year.   Tbh, I kind of feel that way myself.   But when I look at it a little more closely, I see something a little different.

I think most people agree the defense is championship caliber and the ST is solid enough.  So that really only leaves the offense in question.

QB: This has been discussed plenty on here.  We're still seeing what MW is but the early signs look good.  ZW has potential though it feels like he's lost right now.

RB: Despite losing Breece Lightning, we've seen the emergence of Bam Knight.  MC is talented too and Ty Johnson isn't bad.  James Robinson can add something too if he gets healthy

WR: GW is a star and getting better each week.  Eli Moore has under-performed but has potential.  Corey Davis runs hot-and-cold but has ability.  Mimsy has ability too.

TE: Conklin has been up-and-down (though down lately).  Uzomah is a decent player (with a great attitude).  I still think Ruckert can be an ace-in-the-hole kind of guy if given the chance.  Let's see

OL: We've been decimated with injuries in this unit but we still have Duane Brown, Laken Tomlinson, Connor McGovern, Nate Herbig and George Fant.  (And LDT as a backup).  That should be good enough.

OC: MiLF has not been great but I remember I was also really down on Ulbrich at one point too.  Now things are the reverse.  So let's not give up on MiLF just yet.

VERDICT:

Overall, I don't see why this offense can't be good enough to get the job done.  While we're far from perfect, we're NOT badly lacking in any area.  We're a defensive team first but there's no reason the offense can't be competent.  Imo, it can be better than just "competent" as long as MW continues what he's been doing so far.  And when you look at things that way, there's no reason why this team can't go on a deep postseason run.  

We don't  need a deep post season run. Once this team is in the playoffs, we are playing with house money. The trick is going to be sustaining the level. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Next year. 

For the first time in forever, I am not remotely thinking about next year.

After Q went nuts on the coach on the sideline early on then with me shutting off the tv after Nick Chubb “sealed” the Cleveland game(My bad for turning it off and not seeing the comeback), I realized this can and should be the year. 

Every team has injuries, we have our share.

But we can beat any team in the league, FINALLY.

Let’s win against Buffalo, Pretty Please??

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

They've now had a few good weeks of practicing together so MW and his receivers should be on the same page.... not that they weren't but even more so now. I'd say if the OL holds up against Buff, then we have a good chance to win this game. Diggs will be key for Buff and shutting him down, but this time we need to shadow Allen. No 15-17 yard runs, and especially for TD's...

MW needs to develop his deep ball accuracy.  There were two plays last week where he over threw Wilson. Those were 2 TDs. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Next year. 

Bad approach. We may lose guys in FA, injury, some guys may not be as hot. The idea next year will always be better is a just a guess. You seize the opportunity in the moment which is now. We were 7-4 entering December. Expectations change crush 

• Upvote 1

The 2009-2010 teams were good teams with a good record that got hot at the right time.  Maybe they were underestimated, maybe they just had ice in their veins.  A little of both?

This team reminds me a little of those teams in that we are a talented enough team that doesn’t give up and that fights for each other.  Toughness and passion go along way.  Plus a lot of luck, something we historically have been short on.  Maybe we’ll start recovering some fumbles and/or the ball will pop into the air for easy Jets INTs.

The offensive line with a healthy Fant at RT is a step up from where we’ve been this season.  Brown & Tomlinson are good players (Pro Bowlers last year) who have experience and McGovern might be our best offensive lineman right now, serially underrated.  

Wilson is a STUD and Bam reminds me of other guys that come out of nowhere to help lead their teams deep into the playoffs.  Young and naive is not a bad thing sometimes. 

To go far, I believe we need the following:

1. White continues to get better with more game experience.  Simple as that at QB.  Doesn’t have to be Superman

2. LaFleur stops getting cute in the red zone and starts to strategically target Moore in the right situations.  If you re-watch the Vikings tape, you will see that Moore was open 3 times in the final set of downs (1st down left flat, 3rd down bad throw on sideline, 4th down out pattern) and several other times on plays (wide open on a go route for a TD and 2x on 3rd and 4th downs in mismatches over the middle against LBs or Safeties)

3. When targeted— Moore, Conklin, Davis and Berrios have to make the clutch plays.  They all failed last Sunday.  Help your QB and put points on the board

• Sympathy 1

I think Cinci is basically immune from defense. They are perfectly happy taking sacks and chucking balls to Chase, and they get an early lead keeping the opposing offense off balance. KC is similar, but without Hill not AS scary. Phili, maybe Dallas, and SF aren't the great matchup's for this team. Anyone else the game can be won if they don't shoot themselves in the foot. The issue, of course, is MAKING the playoffs.

I mean, you kind of just saw it happen.  27 is the 2nd most points they allowed on the season and the offense if Berrios held onto the ball, came back and got the W for the D, granted the D did play much better in the 2nd half.  In the game the D let up the most points on the season, 30, the offense went and won the game in the 4th quarter w/ Flacco as QB.  So yeah, for sure it's good enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

The problem with this is you don't know what will happen next year. Yes the team is ahead of schedule, but we don't know what injuries will occur, rookie regression (sophomore jinx), QB situation may still not be resolved, etc. I never look ahead for these reasons and just stay focused on current season

True, every year is different. The AFC is ultra-competititve. We can't assume the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos will not get their sh*t together next year. The Steelers will improve. The Browns will have Watson under center. 

Without the output of a top half QB, the Jets could have an incremental improvement next year and still not be any higher in the AFC rankings. 

Jets can run and now they can pass with a plethora of skill position weapons on this team all getting their fair share of touches from Mike Winky White. It's going to be a fun ride this month, so buckle up. This defense paired with a pretty good offense and special teams will go so deep it'll put that ass to sleep.

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

The problem with this is you don't know what will happen next year. Yes the team is ahead of schedule, but we don't know what injuries will occur, rookie regression (sophomore jinx), QB situation may still not be resolved, etc. I never look ahead for these reasons and just stay focused on current season

Agreed. Next year. We need Breece healthy plus   healthier O line for post  season run. Not saying we can’t make  the post season but don’t see us going too deep. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Bad approach. We may lose guys in FA, injury, some guys may not be as hot. The idea next year will always be better is a just a guess. You seize the opportunity in the moment which is not. We were 7-4 entering December. Expectations change crush 

OMG, I’m not saying I’d wait but I’m saying team isn’t ready! Need Breece back for post  season and O line healthy. I thought the whole thing was sustained success? We may make post season but don’t see us going deep. That’s all

This team has enough talent to win a game against anyone. I don't have a lot of confidence in them stacking consecutive wins and going on a deep playoff run but it would honestly be less shocking to me to see this team in the AFCCG than the 2009 team. We're more well rounded and have a more sound defensive scheme, albeit not as dominant.

Next year we can be legit Superbowl contenders.