<<<<<<< Jets vs Bills -- The Official Game Thread >>>>>>>

Maxman

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think it’s meaningful that Saleh is putting that in ink right away. If he announces tomorrow that Zach will be inactive next week, that will be eye opening

He also put it in ink that he wasn't considering a move away from ZW after the Patriot game.  And he left the door open with "if healthy".

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

3 huge gafs really cost the Jets this game, neither team played particularly well but these changed the game:

- Mosley biting on the fake snap - led to a TD

- Flacco fumble - gift wrapped a FG

- Carter fumble - ruined the comeback opportunity

You can’t do stupid, boneheaded things and expect to win.

We’re not ready for prime time, yet.

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

3 huge gafs really cost the Jets this game, neither team played particularly well but these changed the game:

- Mosley biting on the fake snap - led to a TD

- Flacco fumble - gift wrapped a FG

- Carter fumble - ruined the comeback opportunity

Exactly. You can't do that against Buffalo in Buffalo. You just can't. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

His passing set up the Bam Knight TD this game. I think this is a bit naive. He needs to ascend, sure, but he's led scoring drives. The team has to be held responsible for some of the dumb sh*t they do, too... MC fumble erased points for us this game.... Berrios dropped the game winner last week.

I like where Mike White is at. He's not perfect, but he's shown a lot of promise. The team is doing dumb sh*t right now that good teams don't do.

Biggest problem IMO is White is getting little help from the run game.  This offense is designed to work off misdirection and play action, and neither really is effective if you can't move the ball between the tackles.  White having to carry the team with 45-50 attempts every week isn't sustainable...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JiFields said:

Encouraging to hear, at least they're not mishandling the situation now, though Flacco has to go.

Mike has shown a ton of promise. Not quite putting the team on his back, but darn close... the team should really stop with the stupid penalties, drops, and fix the ball security. 

How many offensive drives started 1st and 20 today because of penalties?

How many promising drives ended because of fumbles? Or interceptions (and near interceptions) the past 2 weeks because our WRs bat the ball up into the air?

How many drops have we seen the past 2 weeks?

How many simply stupid plays have we seen?

There comes a point where no caliber of QB is going to offset all of this at once. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

He throws remind of Pennington, has great touch, but can’t see him throwing a deep pass over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Deep passes are tough to evaluate in this system, as it is not how it, typically, attacks a defense, preferring to go horizontal, as opposed to vertical.  That being said, White has shown, on more than one occasion, that he can rip one accurately into tight windows. Last week, in particular, put the notion that he can’t, to rest.  I’d liken his arm talent to Sam Darnold, maybe Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 1

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Biggest problem IMO is White is getting little help from the run game.  This offense is designed to work off misdirection and play action, and neither really is effective if you can't move the ball between the tackles.  White having to carry the team with 45-50 attempts every week isn't sustainable...

Yep 100%

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You can’t do stupid, boneheaded things and expect to win.

We’re not ready for prime time, yet.

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

Exactly. You can't do that against Buffalo in Buffalo. You just can't. 

You cant do it vs. any team, really but yeah, especially cant vs. a SB contender in their building in a wintery mix in Dec.  

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As he should but if they trot out joe flacco as the backup they are utter fools.

As I've said, I will die on the Streveler hill. 

I forsee the Strev being a backup, Mike White dying on the field from a blitz, Flacco failing, and then Strev leads us to the AFC Championahip game. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the free runners are on White. He has to change the protection. White should never line up in empty again. He’s not a threat to run so it’s safe to blitz him through the A gap

I was thinking the same thing.  Line protection not called or bad play design.  The Beefalo defense gets credit too for playing lights out.  If not for the Flacco fiasco or the Carter fumble or the CJ Mosley jump, the Jets could have won.  That's twice they played top seeds to the end.  They came up short, but they were never deflated at any point in the game. Not the same old Jets.  Competitive and talented and getting better.  

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Deep passes are tough to evaluate in this system, as it is not how it, typically, attacks a defense, preferring to go horizontal, as opposed to vertical.  That being said, White has shown, on more than one occasion, that he can rip one accurately into tight windows. Last week, in particular, put the notion that he can’t, to rest.  I’d liken his arm talent to Sam Darnold, maybe Mark Sanchez.

I've been pleasantly surprised with White's arm talent.  That throw to Davis where he got injured in the 1st quarter was a dart...

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Of course he is. Any rational person would agree with that decision. We lost this game because of mistakes and injuries. 

I agree.  I just think it is very shocking that we went from “Let’s take it one week at a time guys” to “Oh yeah, for sure, absolutely...Mike is the starter if he is healthy.”

White probably won the starting job for the rest of the year, barring injury or implosion, with his gutsy performance today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, I don't blame the QB, when the other QB and the backup RB fumble the ball. I don't blame the QB for WR drops. I blame the QB for taking bad sacks and throwing bad balls. There was some of that today, but more of the other stuff.

Flacco was only in there the first time because white got the wind knocked out of him. That happens pretty often with qbs and they stay in the game.  Same last year when he hurt his finger. Flacco is garbage and shouldn’t have been in there that drive. 

that Carter fumble was rough, but there were plenty of bad passes and unneeded sacks peppered in throughout the game as well. 

I just see a below average qb. Is he better than the trash we’ve seen from Zach? Sure he is. But I’m not going believe in him until he proves it. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Mike has shown a ton of promise. Not quite putting the team on his back, but darn close... the team should really stop with the stupid penalties, drops, and fix the ball security. 
How many promising drives ended because of fumbles? Or interceptions (and near interceptions) the past 2 weeks because our WRs bat the ball up into the air?
There comes a point where no caliber of QB is going to offset all of this at once. 

Mistakes are part of the game, how a team overcomes them is key. I will say, the QB is not free of blame. The finger gets pointed all around. He took a sack, didn’t call proper protection, surely missed some plays he will see in the film room. For the second consecutive week, he throws the ball out of bounds on 3rd down and batted pass/int on 4th down, he gets blame for that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BurntDice said:

Flacco was only in there the first time because white got the wind knocked out of him. That happens pretty often with qbs and they stay in the game.  Same last year when he hurt his finger. Flacco is garbage and shouldn’t have been in there that drive. 

that Carter fumble was rough, but there were plenty of bad passes and unneeded sacks peppered in throughout the game as well. 

I just see a below average qb. Is he better than the trash we’ve seen from Zach? Sure he is. But I’m not going believe in him until he proves it. 

That's fair, but really the thing I don't get is how our fans with Zach, "Look at the potential" and with White after seeing potential take the position of "He has to prove it". It's just bias, nothing more.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

For sure.  Especially when you're a come up team like the Jets vs. established playoff/Super Bowl caliber teams like Vikings and Bills. 

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Mistakes are part of the game, how a team overcomes them is key. I will say, the QB is not free of blame. The finger gets pointed all around. He took a sack, didn’t call proper protection, surely missed some plays he will see in the film room. For the second consecutive week, he throws the ball out of bounds on 3rd down and batted pass/int on 4th down, he gets blame for that.

Seems like you're only blaming the QB. Pretty obviously, really.

Another really admirable performance from the Jets under really tough conditions and injuries. Just came up short again. Proud to be a fan of this team.

The next 2 games will dictate the season. They must be won if the playoffs are going to happen.

The CBS post game said it best - no team wants to see the Jets in the playoffs. Let’s get in and make some noise

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree.  I just think it is very shocking that we went from “Let’s take it one week at a time guys” to “Oh yeah, for sure, absolutely...Mike is the starter if he is healthy.”

White probably won the starting job for the rest of the year, barring injury or implosion, with his gutsy performance today.

Just goes to show you, context matters and performance matters and silly narratives, dont.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

My mentality is 4 one game win streaks: Lions, Jags, Seahawks, and Dolphins. 

Crazy that there's 4 games left. The past 2 weeks sucked, felt winnable, but the Pats games are why we're feeling gloom and doom right now... I think we can turn the tides.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That's fair, but really the thing I don't get is how our fans with Zach, "Look at the potential" and with White after seeing potential take the position of "He has to prove it". It's just bias, nothing more.

I think people say that with Zach because he’s young and was a high pick. White has neither of those things going for him 

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Line protection not called or bad play design.  The Beefalo defense gets credit too for playing lights out.  If not for the Flacco fiasco or the Carter fumble or the CJ Mosley jump, the Jets could have won.  That's twice they played top seeds to the end.  They came up short, but they were never deflated at any point in the game. Not the same old Jets.  Competitive and talented and getting better.  

What sucks is that they go empty as a means to get Berrios on the field and the more Berrios plays, the more he’s exposed as an inadequate receiving option. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Well, I have never said White has to prove stuff, but the reason people are talking about ZW's potential for several reasons; the biggest is that he has tremendous arm talent and potential; we have also spent the #2 pick on him, so...

White OTOH has shown that while his ceiling isn't as high as ZW's, he floor is clearly higher and his floor is looking like an NFL caliber starter.

10 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

With 0 passing tds over the past 2 weeks you can have him 

Berrios, once again, can be thanked for that, since he let a slant pattern TD go through his hands and doink off of his facemask, one week removed from letting the ground knock a fairly secured ball out of his hands.

• Upvote 1